Lost my Animal Friend

Author
burts
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 606
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/02/06 11:10:59 (permalink)
I lost my cat early superbowl sunday 4:50am and it was by far the hardest most painful experience I ever had in my 38 years.  I guess im looking for comfort, im on antidepressants and I lost over 25 pounds since he started to go downhill...  My uncles passed away 5 months ago and im liquidating his estate, my dad is on hospice from terminal liver cancer.  The pain was so intense I thought I was going to go absolute crazy, I have no kids so smokey really was my boy.  I quit work 4 years ago so almost everyday it was just me and my boy.  Mornings are absolute horrible, today is the first day I didnt have a break down, I buried him in my backyard.

I know im a man and ive never cried since I was a boy, the emotions go haywire

His death was on replay in my head for days...   :(

I would love to hear some of your storys to feel that im not alone

http://www.catforum.com/forum/50-over-rainbow-bridge/314434-i-love-you-smokey.html

Evga X58 Classified Part Number: 141-BL-E759-A1
Intel i920/4ghz True120
3 OCZ PC3 12800 7-7-7@1.65v 2gb
Asus 770..OC/SoundBlaster Recon Fatality
Xfx psu xts
Mushkin Chronos 120gb SSD
Windows 10 64 Bit
Cosmos S
Samsung s27b970d Series 9(1440p)

23 Replies Related Threads

blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/06 11:16:34 (permalink)
    I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is always hard but on the bright side it sounds like he lived a long and happy life. We lost our orange cat Mr. Yoders last year and it was really hard. My fiance had him since he was a kitten and he lived to be 17, died from thyroid disease. My advice would be to spend some time with friends and maybe in a few months consider getting a kitten.

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/06 11:36:12 (permalink)
    Reading your post , I can tell you have a lot of love for Smokey. Our pets are like family. He lived a very long life, you had many good years together. He was a great looking cat, I like the black mark on his nose. There have been many people share their grief here, hopefully it helps. I think it does, in ways. You are going through a lot it sounds with Smokey and family too. You need to take care of yourself, and maybe visit with friends or family. R.I.P. Smokey. I think blacksapphire is right, maybe not immediately. But a new friend, not as a replacement but a new friend would be good.  
    rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/06 11:50:58 (permalink)
    I'm sorry to hear that. My cat passed away after 19 years. I know how tough that is, and I never realized how much my routine was intertwined with the cat's. For example she'd always be at the foot of the bed when I woke up, I'd play with her and then she went to sit on her condo in the window. When she was gone I kept waking up expecting to see her there and that was tough, so I sympathize with you.

I ended up getting another cat right away because I couldn't stand not having my furry feline anymore. Now I have the one you see in my sig, and she's a goof and immediately helped me out just by being there and being her goofy self. I know it sounds kind of bad to say go get another cat, but I just remember how much it made me feel so much better to have another furry ball of cuteness in the house again.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your cat and hopefully you can find another one that will make you smile and laugh. BTW here's another one of mine, Sapphira, while I was doing a recent build. She likes to "help" when I do stuff and unfortunately her idea of helping is to sit or lay on anything I'm trying to work on. She's 3 y.o. now.

Edit: that pic of Smokey in the chair is priceless. He looks so comfortable there.
    post edited by rlb9682 - 2015/02/06 11:54:26

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

Thug21
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 268
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/07 18:35:11 (permalink)
    Really sorry to hear that, for both your uncle, and your cat. :(
    Your Smokey was definitely a handsome guy... Love the face pattern! I don't think I've ever seen that before.

As you can probably tell from my picture of a Khajiit, I like felines! I know how good of friend a cat can be and how hard it is to lose that. :(

I adopted a cat that was 2 years old, also a gray and white, although different pattern than Smokey. He was literally my best friend for 13 years would always follow me around and was always purring and being vocal, always nuzzling...
    Minutes after I lost him due to a fairly sudden, unknown illness on a Saturday when he was about 15, as I was walking out of the Vet's office, I saw someone had a Tuxedo cat in a carrier. I rarely see any cats at the vet, but I had a very brief passing thought of how I liked that type of cat.

I had a rough week, but I do believe in afterlife (am Christian) and don't see why it doesn't apply to friends that are animals too, which helped. That and I was happy that I had such a nice feline for 13 years when I'd almost given up on having pets. The house still felt empty, though... I know that you can't replace someone like that as they all have such different personalities, but it was worth seeing what other cats were out there. So, I called up the lady from the animal shelter group that I'd gotten my friend from and she brought over 2 kittens on Friday. I was almost about to get the tabby Kitten...

However, the next Saturday morning I opened the door from the house to garage and had gotten it open about an inch, in pops a white furry paw! It was a Tuxedo cat that somehow snuck in! A really, really thin one (it was a rough winter) but a very nice and also vocal one! I gave him some food and litter and the next morning, was able to take him to the only vet open. He had a chip in him, but there was no luck in contacting the owner. Amazingly, the besides being a thin fellow, he had 0 issues from apparently being outside for quite some time in the winter and he was registered from 40 miles away, but we could never locate the the people.

So, I have had Mr. Tux (one of about 10 names) since! He's much more playful (and a little bit more mischievous) than my previous feline friend, but he's every bit as full of purrs and he follows me around all of the time. There's no puppy that has anything on him, and he can fetch too!  I still can't fathom how he'd found me, exactly 1 week after I'd become all alone and had that passing throught of a black and white cat. What are the chances??

So, you just never know what will happen, including what good...

I sincerely hope you will be presently surprised as well :)

post edited by Thug21 - 2015/02/07 19:06:13

CoolerMaster HAF X blue - i7 4790  - Asus Sabertooth Mark 2
    Samsung Pro 512GB SSD - 3TB WD Black -
    8 GB G.Skill 2100
    EVGA GTX 980 
    Noctua NH-U12DO 
    - Corsair 1000HX

burts
    SSC Member
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/07 20:37:02 (permalink)
    Thank You for the kind replies...Tomorrow at 4:50 am makes one week, I do not think my morning will be well, I dream of him a lot...

i dont know why but I still mourn every morning

Intel i920/4ghz True120
    Xfx psu xts
    Windows 10 64 Bit
    Cosmos S
    dugless
    • Total Posts : 63
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/08 06:15:23 (permalink)
    I feel your pain my friend. Fathers day 2014 I lost my poodle after 18 years of companionship. I would cry every day when I would round the corner and head to the house. This went on for months, there was a piece of my life that was gone and its real and it hurts. It took three months and a lot of searching but I got another little puppy not as a replacement but a new friend. I still miss my old friend but to have a new buddy to come home to has erased the hole that was in my life. 
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/08 06:37:32 (permalink)
    The Rainbow Bridge

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

(Author unknown...)

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/08 08:04:40 (permalink)
    After our last pet died we decided not to get another because it is too painful a process to bear each time they pass on.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

burts
    SSC Member
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/08 09:33:29 (permalink)
    dugless
    I feel your pain my friend. Fathers day 2014 I lost my poodle after 18 years of companionship. I would cry every day when I would round the corner and head to the house. This went on for months, there was a piece of my life that was gone and its real and it hurts. It took three months and a lot of searching but I got another little puppy not as a replacement but a new friend. I still miss my old friend but to have a new buddy to come home to has erased the hole that was in my life. 

I can understand that, couple times when i hit my road to come home was the absolute worst knowing im coming home to a empty house. It really is a nightmare to look outside and not see my best friend, to see the sunset and not see my grey fur ball bathing in its light. Never in my life did I imagine my heart could break the way it did, for some reason it hurt a 100 times more then it did for any close relative or human person....

I ordered a headstone for him, im going to make a beautiful grave for my friend and keep him close to my heart until the day that I die...

Intel i920/4ghz True120
    Xfx psu xts
    Windows 10 64 Bit
    Cosmos S
    serrasalmuss
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/08 10:18:08 (permalink)
    i lost my best friend lola about a year ago....it was devastating to me. we are very animal oriented at my house 8 cats 2 dogs 9 chickens 3 horses and a donkey, we had 5 horses but one was getting old and was very gentle so we donated him to the special needs program that uses horses to help people with recovery from many things. and we lost one due to cancer. pets are not just animals they are family....

||Maryjane v4.20||
    ||EVGA x79 Dark||i7 4820k@4.5 HT||16G G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz||EVGA 980FTW||840 pro 256gb (OS) ||2x1 TB WD Black ||Corsair Air 540||EVGA 850G2 ||custom built water setup, Koolance cpu-380i, swifttech mcp 655 w ek top, primochill 1/2 tubbing,HWlabs 360gts 3xcorsair SP120 HP edition fans||
    stiltz85
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/08 11:47:31 (permalink)
    I lost my boy, Drifter.
    He was only about 2 years old, he started limping one day and we took him to the vet. They said his leg did not have any issues and he showed no signs of pain so we had no idea what was going on.
    It got worse as the days went on and eventually his entire left side of his body was paralyzed. By then the vet figured out that it was neurological and gave us medicine for him.
    Well, it was a little too late I suppose, the medicine did not help. And I have a feeling the vets may have been wrong about it. He was drooling a lot, and by the time he was completely paralyzed he was very ornery. Growling and hissing, I figured maybe it could be rabies? I was so sad because he was always such a good boy, I've never heard him make sounds like that..
    After soiling himself we decided it was time to let him go, we took him out back where we had dug a hole and I had to shoot him to end his pain. I did not want to but My mom and her boyfriend refused and asked if I could.
    I'd like to think that I ended any suffering he was having, but at the same time.. I really was not happy with myself, I love that cat so much and I would never dream of hurting the poor guy. I just hope we were right in our decision to let him go..

direraptor22
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5717
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/09 23:03:13 (permalink)
    Ninjas! Ninjas cutting onions around the room.....!!!!!

I am so sorry for your losses. Just thinking about losing our cat makes me tear up... I can't imagine life without him! He's almost 2 years old as of today, our sweet Ebony

“The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it.” - Friedrich Oblessor
    stiltz85
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/10 00:44:36 (permalink)
    Nice angle, looks like he has an epic beard, Cute!

direraptor22
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5717
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/10 02:11:46 (permalink)
    stiltz85
    Nice angle, looks like he has an epic beard, Cute!

“The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it.” - Friedrich Oblessor
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/10 04:41:13 (permalink)
    Over the course of my 50+ years, I've had that pain more than a few times...I can list each pet, and how/where they passed.

They're NOT pets..they're family..and losing one hurts...I STILL miss them.

But, I think I'll see them again.

I'm so sorry for your loss....

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/10 06:34:36 (permalink)
    I LOVE kitties! That really sucks. My oldest cat is getting up there and he is having trouble doing his usual stuff and I feel bad. My oldest dog has cancer and we are just waiting... We bring her inside every night and she sleeps beside our bed. That's going to be tough. We asked about getting her cancer removed and they said it would just come back so we are just going to enjoy the little time we have left. That is the one thing that sucks about pets. I am sorry to hear about your loss.
    ARMYguy
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1050
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/10 07:26:33 (permalink)
    All my pets are parrots that will out live me, or my red foot tortoise that will out live me. I am not a fan of animals that do not out live me, why go through that?

I did have cats around when i was little and they all died around the same time. I know how you feel and i don't want to go back to that feeling again.

Asus Strix Z790 F - Intel 13700 K - Gigabyte 4090 Windforce - 32gb DDR 5 - 1TB Samsung SSD 850 evo - Windows 10 Pro - 1TB Samsung M.2 860 - Inland 2 TB NVMe - Acer Predator X27
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/10 10:16:01 (permalink)
    Sounds like you have had a rough year, and sorry for your loss. Loosing an animal truly is like loosing a loved one(they are loved aren't they!). I've told myself over & over "no more pets after x passes away". I've always lied to myself & never regretted it. If you're lonely, attempting to fill the void can only help. Perhaps find a new animal puppy/kitten that can grow around you. You will always have your memories of your cat, nothing can take that away. Sadly it's the world we live in, we all know our doom, just not the hour.

P.s. This little guy hopefully will help left your spirits

post edited by j2345912 - 2015/02/10 10:22:43

Attached Image(s)

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/02/10 10:55:23 (permalink)
    This is Minxie, our sweet 19 yo girl we lost about 3 years ago to liver failure. She was a Manx and would go for walks with us on a leash   Her favorite place was sitting in this cat condo in-between two windows. We still miss her, but our current kitty has made us smile again.

Attached Image(s)

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

stiltz85
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/03/03 01:56:24 (permalink)
    Wow, lost another cat last night.. I have the worst luck, I swear.
    My roommates cat Passed away due to having too big of a heart. Go figure, he was the sweetest little guy on the planet.
    Sad thing is, we never knew about it because it was never an issue, but he caught a cold and I guess sneezing and coughing caused his lungs and esophagus so beat up his large heart causing it to swell up and stop working all together. My other roommates cat had the same cold, caught it a few days earlier and got through it in about 2 days time. 
    Poor Kitkit caught it and never got better..

burts
    SSC Member
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/03/04 08:31:46 (permalink)
    Yes times are tough, I wake up between 4-5 am every morning to feed smokey and hes been gone for over a month now. Very hard, I plan to get a pedigree ragdoll in the summer and have been screening my large outdoor deck for him. I been learning a lot of woodworking skills too...

Id give my arm and my leg to have smokey back, good god I want to pick him up and hug him sooooo badly

Nice pictures of your cats btw and sorry for all your losses

Intel i920/4ghz True120
    Xfx psu xts
    Windows 10 64 Bit
    Cosmos S
    stiltz85
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/03/05 01:36:13 (permalink)
    So I've done some thinking, I am 29 years old and have yet to go to college. I spent most of my college years overseas serving my country and now I sit on my rump all day waiting for my disability to process after years.. But I am getting off point, I am very interested in the Serval/domestic hybrid breed of cats known as Savannah's. 
    I have been looking into getting one and very quickly realized that they are very expensive, up to  $30k for a first generation Kitten. Yikes!
    But then I did some research on the ancestral African Serval species and now I really want one of those! haha, I am a sap for beautiful animals!
    So I gots to thinking, in my state you need a special license to own exotic cats such as Servals. so I thought, well I guess I could get the licence? That idea was almost immediately followed by deciding I could just get a breeding licence and breed Servals and Savannahs.
    Yep, but my mind kept rolling in new ideas like, well I should go to school for zoology or something so I'll know what to do! Sounds good, right?
    Well as I was looking at zoology degrees I though to myself, Well I have had issues with cats and genetic health problems. So I decided to elevate my idea to veterinary medicine.
    So yeah, I went from thinking of getting a cute Savannah to getting a masters in veterinarian medicine.

Crazy, all these years debating on what I want to do with my life.. it all came down to one cute fuzzy little face.

So I plan on using my GI bill to become a veterinarian and breeding Savannahs. lol

A Veterinary Veteran!

Oh and a picture of the cute 4th generation Savannah kitten I will be picking up tomorrow!

1sthurricane
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 398
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Lost my Animal Friend 2015/03/05 18:43:23 (permalink)
    I wish I had seen this sooner,I know your pain and it almost consumes you at times.The video playbacks in your head will subside but it takes time...lots of time for you to heal.I lost my Springer Spaniel "Ashley",she died on my lap as we were rushing her to the hospital for a massive stoke and that played back in my head so many times I lost count.I could not function and my work,friends and relationships all suffered and they could not understand how the loss of an animal could influence me so much,they just don't understand that they are like a child,best friend,confidant .Think of all the good times with Smokey,and when you are ready ,bring another into your life and give them a chance.God bless you,and I hope your pain subsides.

*Asus x99 Deluxe*Intel i7 5930k*G-Skill Ripjaws ddr4 2800 16g*x2 EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI*EVGA SuperNova P2 1200  PSU*NZXT X-61 Kraken*Bitfenix Recon*Corsair AIR540 "Artic White" Case*Samsung 850 Pro 500/250  SSD's*WD 3 TB HDD*Pioneer Blu Ray*Asus Rog Swift 27"*Logitech G-19/Proteus/430*
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile