EVGA

Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
andrewc513
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2014/08/31 12:41:29 (permalink)
I've been pulling my hair out over a problem with several GTX 770 SC 4GB cards with ACX coolers. As of the time of writing, I am on my 4th replacement card(2 returns to Amazon, 1 EVGA RMA) and have yet to get a card that does not rattle severely due to loose and/or broken fins on the ACX cooler as shown here:

http://forums.evga.com/ACX-rattle-noise-problem-fix-m2018526.aspx

Every time I have contacted EVGA regarding the issue, all they will do is offer to send a replacement card, which I assume will have this exact same issue. The one RMA card that EVGA has sent me so far has the issue as well, despite their claim that they "tested for noise prior to shipping", and that there is not any known QC issues with these cards or the ACX coolers. I call shenanigans.

I have this exact problem, as you can see in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOS9NyGYWYU

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1R3QJksv3jeclZFcDdYQ0ZjNzA/edit?usp=sharing

A quick read of this EVGA forum will provide tons of people with the same problem:

http://forums.evga.com/Vibration-in-Radiator-Fins-at-Low-Fan-RPM-on-GTX-770-Classified-4GB-w-ACX-Cooler-and-SLI-m2200510.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/770-sc-EVGA-support-m2208661.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/Gtx-760-acx-2gb-m2208862.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/GTX-770-ACX-Rattle-RMA-Fix-m2207545.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/AGAIN-Already-and-its-only-been-a-couple-of-months-m2204223.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/GTX-780-sc-acx-running-boost-near-constant-strange-sound-m2204561.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/Will-RMA-fix-my-770-sc-acx-problem-m2205380.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/GTX-780-SC-ACX-fan-noises-m1978902.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/ACX-rattle-noise-problem-fix-m2018526.aspx

Another user with the *exact* same problem dates back to even almost a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVx9xgsKOpY

I am utterly disappointed in this experience I've had with EVGA and the fact that I've had to return, replace, return, replace... Only to keep having the finger pointed at me by technical & customer support that I've not screwing something down right in my case, and the vibrations are not the fault of the card.

If anyone can offer advice, tips, or please share your own experience/story here, maybe this can get some attention from EVGA. Because while they are super helpful and will do an RMA all day long, it's infuriating that a brand new $400 replaced has been replaced so many times and wasted a month of effort on my part, and I simply cannot get a solution. After 4 cards, I'm convinced that I'll just keep getting the same problem over and over. Even more disappointing when I've been a loyal EVGA customer ever since the Geforce 4 days back in junior high. I'm at the point where I'm going to just shove a piece of foam against the cooler's plastic to suppress the noise, and pray that the GTX 9xx series comes out within 90 days of my purchase for Step-Up. I'm still loyal to EVGA, but I feel like they simply won't own up to this one and it's upsetting that I have to waste both my and their time and energy dealing with this.

I'm currently waiting on the end of the holiday for customer support to escalate this, and honestly I'm not entirely confident that my 5th replacement card will do any better.
post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/08/31 12:46:59

48 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/08/31 14:23:32 (permalink)
    I know this is/has been a problem for many and I feel your pain and even though I've never had a card with fins that rattle, there's an old trick that's used to silence motherboard (or any) coil chokes/inductors that whine/screech due to vibration which might work on the loose fins too..That is to use a few drops of clear fingernail polish to glue the wire coils of coil chokes/inductors together to dampen/eliminate the vibration/noise..I would certainly disassemble and give it a shot on gluing any loose/noisy fins rather than RMA so many times..You could use an insulin (or similar) syringe to get a little clear polish into tight places like near the heat pipes and on the inside ends of the loose fins..The fingernail polish will harden after about 1/2 hour or so and should hardly be noticable, if at all..Could also be easily/completely removed with common fingernail polish remover, canned air and a paper towel if necessary..Just a thought.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/08/31 14:36:59 (permalink)
    Yea, I've taken the cooler off and have contemplated fixing it myself, but I'm just not comfortable doing it. I really don't have the materials handy, and I think having to do a hack job on a brand new $400 card juts to keep it quiet is a bit nuts. I guess to try and be optimistic, at least taking off the cooler prompted me to also reapply thermal paste, which did happen to drop my temps a few degrees once I had a fresh layer of AC MX-4 on it.

What's more frustrating is that I had a GTX 770 SC 4GB ACX card with zero rattling issues in the past, and I sold that PC to rebuild a mini-ITX system & save some space.  Now I can't get a non-rattling card to save my life.
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/08/31 16:11:55
    sahafiec
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1344
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/08/31 20:59:55 (permalink)
    it must be really frustrating to get a replacement card with the very same issue like the RMA one.
    if EVGA can not avoid this issue in the production line I'm sure it can be avoided in the replacements.
    you just need some really good testing and you are done.
    post edited by sahafiec - 2014/08/31 21:15:02

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/01 08:21:51 (permalink)
    Yes, it is very frustrating. Their bench systems for testing orient the cards like any typical case would, with fans facing downward, according to the EVGA tech support guy I spoke with. I'm thinking that the weight of the card pulling downward on the heatsink muffles the sound a good bit, and that the card sitting upright in my Obsidian 250D probably exacerbates the problem since the loose/broken fins are dangling with no extra force exerted on them.
    sahafiec
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1344
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/01 08:26:54 (permalink)
    so it would be a good idea for them to test the card mounted as in your case.

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/01 08:37:14 (permalink)
    Indeed it would be. But when I brought this possibility up with EVGA on the phone, I got the finger pointed back at me.  The rep I spoke with said he actually had the exact same card in the exact same case (what odds, huh? But I played along) and he didn't hear any noise. So it "had to be something exclusive to my setup."  Then he went on to say how they had several dozens of video cards being tested all the time, like that fact was supposed to reassure me that my cards were magically not faulty anymore?

Granted, this conversation was before sending along my videos and the list of links to said EVGA rep. But still, come on... I feel like I'm being made out to be the guy in the wrong here.  All I wanted is a working card. Not 4 duds in a row.
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/09/01 08:39:31
    ilukeberry
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 256
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/01 08:49:00 (permalink)
    Thank god for reference cards which don't suffer from this problems :)

Intel i9 13900KS | EVGA Z790 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 4x16GB 6600MHz | NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti FE | Corsair MP600 PRO 2TB PHANTEKS Glacier One 360 T30 Gen2 AIO | Seasonic PRIME TX-850 | PHANTEKS Enthoo Evolv X
    serrasalmuss
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 221
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/01 09:15:29 (permalink)
    evga rma has gone downhill and downhill bad.....i had to send back a board 3 times to get a working one with the latest bios even though i was PROMISED that they had been flashed and i even specifically asked that they be flashed....to top that off it was a rma from sending in my x58 board and only the last and final third one had a io shield in it even though again i asked for one the first 2 times...so in the end it took almost 2 months to get a semi working board....this one still has the issue but im done muking with the rma service and taking a chance of getting another that hasnt been flashed or has some other problem.....x79 when u go into bios it lags and stutters sometimes

||Maryjane v4.20||
    ||EVGA x79 Dark||i7 4820k@4.5 HT||16G G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz||EVGA 980FTW||840 pro 256gb (OS) ||2x1 TB WD Black ||Corsair Air 540||EVGA 850G2 ||custom built water setup, Koolance cpu-380i, swifttech mcp 655 w ek top, primochill 1/2 tubbing,HWlabs 360gts 3xcorsair SP120 HP edition fans||
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/01 09:21:07 (permalink)
    Today is labor day so no tech support at this moment but I'll forward your concerns.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Brimy
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 250
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/01 15:43:07 (permalink)
    WOW...that is an annoying noise. I recently took apart my 760FTW and that part of the fin you were moving in the video is non-existent on my ACX cooler. I hope you get this fixed properly.

P630 | P8Z77-V PRO | i5 3570k@4.7Ghz | ASUS STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING CM Extreme Power Plus - 600W | 1x250GB 850EVO & 2x Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD | Patriot Viper 3 Series DDR3 16GB 2200MHz | XSPC Rs360 Kit | CM Storm QuickFire TK | Corsair M90 | Acer GN246HL | Canon PIXMA MG5320 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
    andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/02 06:41:59 (permalink)
    Brimy
    WOW...that is an annoying noise. 

The video doesn't do it justice, it's much louder in person than it seems.  Just imagine a constant *rnnnnnn rnnnnn rnnnnnnn rnnnnnn* all day, every day, nonstop. I finally managed to jam a foam packing peanut between the fins and end of the card (where I touched in 2nd video) and suppress 50% of the noise, but it's still quite audible because the fins still rattle.
    momenblake04
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/02 07:52:30 (permalink)
    Yeah I've experienced this same annoying problem, and can't seem to get a good card. I really need my graphics card for school, is the rattling at all harmful to the card? I can bear with the noise instead of going through the headache of shipping cards off, and not having one to use while I wait. As long as it isn't harmful? Then I'm just going to put up with it.
    JoeyC
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1703
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/02 14:46:18 (permalink)
    andrewc513,

Thank you for taking the time to work and speak with me. If you need further assistance feel free to contact me via email or phone. 

Have a nice day 

Rate my service by going to: http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 13:43:15 (permalink)
    UPDATE

---

First and foremost, big thanks to JoeyC. He's been super helpful in coordinating RMAs and forwarding these concerns higher up the chain. Card #5 is on its way and I hope that this can all be put behind me.

That said... I can't say I agree with what I've been told as of late. During the last conversation, I was told that the EVGA engineers took a look at a few dozen GTX 770 SC cards, evaluated how they sounded, and then concluded that what I (yes, specifically the noise in my video) was hearing was *coil whine.*  Now, I understand completely that with higher end cards, it's a fact of life. I also have heard coil whine many times of the years.  I'm sure everyone has.  But this is not coil whine.  I simply fail to accept the fact that this is the official answer from the EVGA engineers. (Yes, confirmed this was the engineers' opinion) 

Now, You all have read the comments, read the threads, watched the videos.  Unless I missed a memo and electrical noises are simply scared of my human touch, there is no possible way this is coil whine. This is loose metal fins rattling.  Coil whine is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc#t=106  ..an awful electrical screech. It does not magically go away just by ever so slightly touching a card's heatsink or plastic cooler. It is not consistently rhythmic and audible 24/7/365 while running idle.

I really couldn't believe that's the answer I received regarding this issue.

Thoughts, everyone?
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/09/05 13:48:11
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 13:48:54 (permalink)
    andrewc513
    UPDATE

---

First and foremost, big thanks to JoeyC. He's been super helpful in coordinating RMAs and forwarding these concerns higher up the chain. Card #5 is on its way and I hope that this can all be put behind me.

That said... I can't say I agree with what I've been told as of late. During the last conversation, I was told that the EVGA engineers took a look at a few dozen GTX 770 SC cards, evaluated how they sounded, and then concluded that what I (yes, specifically the noise in my video) was hearing was *coil whine.*  Now, I understand completely that with higher end cards, it's a fact of life. I also have heard coil whine many times of the years.  I'm sure everyone has.  But this is not coil whine.  I simply fail to accept the fact that this is the official answer from the EVGA engineers. (Yes, confirmed this was the engineers' opinion) 

Now, You all have read the comments, read the threads, watched the videos.  Unless I missed a memo and electrical noises are simply scared of my human touch, there is no possible way this is coil whine. This is loose metal fins rattling.  Coil whine is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc#t=106  ..an awful electrical screech. It does not magically go away just by ever so slightly touching a card's heatsink or plastic cooler. It is not consistently rhythmic and audible 24/7/365 while running idle.

Thoughts, everyone?

WOW! Really? 
    andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 13:55:40 (permalink)
    Really.
    JoeyC
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 14:08:36 (permalink)
    andrewc513
    UPDATE

---

Thoughts, everyone?

-andrewc513

I do apologize if there was any confusion with the last conversion we had. The coil whine I was referring to was the buzzing noise I heard in the first youtube video you sent me. The slight buzzing noise was heard when you stopped the fan and I was making sure this concern was addressed. As for the vibration I simply stated I was unable to recreate this sound/issue with the amount of video cards I tested. Especially in the different scenarios such as open case, hadron, ATX tower ect. I can confirm that we are working to resolve any issues you are having and that your replacement will be shipping out later today. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or concerns. 

Have a nice weekend 

andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 14:11:54 (permalink)
    Hey Joey,

The rattling that stops & starts based on touch should have been the focus of that video, which I thought I explained well. Maybe not? Anyway..  Any noise when those fans stopped (or when I touch the heatsink in my second video) is simply background noise because this was on a cellphone.

In fact, coil whine has actually been a surprisingly non-existent issue even on load while gaming on all these GTX 770s so far, unlike older GTX 680's I've had in the past. Those things screeched pretty badly at certain combinations of GPU load & resolution/framerate. Since yes, coil whine like that is normal, I never had a problem with it.  Nonstop, rhythmic rattling with a metal/scraping sound on these 770s is, again, not remotely a coil whine issue.

I appreciate the reply!
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/09/05 14:20:02
    JoeyC
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 14:19:32 (permalink)
    andrewc513
    Hey Joey,

The rattling that stops & starts based on touch should have been the focus of that video, which I thought I explained well. Maybe not? Anyway..  Any noise when those fans stopped (or when I touch the heatsink in my second video) is simply background noise because this was on a cellphone.

I can confirm I have gone through the same testing steps you have and am unable to recreate the issues you are having. The replacement video card is going through one last round of internal diagnostic prior to packaging. 

Brimy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 14:46:46 (permalink)
     doesn't the ACX coolers eliminate coil whine which is one of the big things about it compared to the reference blower style cooler?

P630 | P8Z77-V PRO | i5 3570k@4.7Ghz | ASUS STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING CM Extreme Power Plus - 600W | 1x250GB 850EVO & 2x Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD | Patriot Viper 3 Series DDR3 16GB 2200MHz | XSPC Rs360 Kit | CM Storm QuickFire TK | Corsair M90 | Acer GN246HL | Canon PIXMA MG5320 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 15:34:27 (permalink)
    Brimy
     doesn't the ACX coolers eliminate coil whine which is one of the big things about it compared to the reference blower style cooler?

ACX coolers eliminating coil whine? No.

Brimy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 16:12:36 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Brimy

ACX coolers eliminating coil whine? No.

Well i got a really good 760 because my ACX cooler is silent until it hits 70% which i have to manually raise it to as it never crosses 62% and even at 70% is is just a slight hum from the fans not that rattling noise andrewc513 is experiencing.

steve3194
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 18:58:05 (permalink)
    Hey andrew, I got your pm. I'm pretty sure the rattle I've had is the same as yours. I had arranged for mine to be sent off for RMA, but after hearing of all the people that got a replacement with the same issues I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I did the thermal tape fix found on another thread and thankfully it worked for me. It's clear the issue is loose fins specifically the one closest to the video connectors on mine. I know its ridiculous having to do a job like this on a new card but when its such a common issue I personally didn't feel like going through the RMA. If I were in your position,with all those replacements having the same issue, I'd have gotten a refund a long time ago. There's plenty of other manufacturers of this card with not nearly as many issues reported. EVGA may have great customer support but thats not much good when the replacements are all showing the same issues. For me the rattle was most noticeable at 47% fan speed in precision x. 
    I'm still considering returning mine as I'm within the 30 day amazon return window. As I said the rattle is sorted on mine now but its annoying that I had to do it. I saw a post somewhere where someone received a new card that already had the fins secured with tape.
    CNCRaymond
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/05 23:01:48 (permalink)
    Yes I have the problem as well and to be honest, your video doesn't do the noise justice. It is quite loud and annoying.  EVGA has offered to replace my card.

However I am waiting to see how serious the issue is before taking them up on the offer. If it is a systemic issue with the card then having another one won't fix it.  It might not rattle at speed, but then again it could.  To be honest, I am not that confident in EVGA's products as I once was. There was a time, less than a year ago, that I wouldn't put anything but EVGA cards into a system.  But now, now I am unsure as to the longevity of their mid to top tier products.

If so many others have had this rattling issue, then it stands to reason its a flaw with the card design.  I would hope that EVGA will address this and prevent such issues from happening again and offer a solution to current card owners with the issue.

It is sincerely regrettable that EVGA's quality reputation has suffered such set backs as of recent.  I hope they don't go the way of other card manufactures and go belly up because of ongoing product quality issues.  Apart from the rattling vibration noise under load the card has thus far performed very well and I am leery of replacing it out of fear of just ending up with another flawed card.  This one works, and as long as the rattling doesn't get worse or the card starts to suffer from fan failure do to the rattling issue, I will wait to replace in hopes that EVGA can find a solution to the issue.
    post edited by CNCRaymond - 2014/09/05 23:17:48

Invidia - FIX YOUR DRIVERS!

AMD Ryzen -5900X
    MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    Intel 665p 1TB M.2-2280 Nvme SSD
    Emermax Liqmax II (240) AIO
    Corsair BX500 1TB SSD
    GSkill Trident Z 64gig @ 3600
    Corsair 4000D Air Flow
    Super Flower Leader III 750w 80Plus Gold
    --
    Intel 10850K
    Asus Tuf Gaming B560M Plus Wifi
    Evga RTX 3060 Ti XC
    Intel 665P M.2 Mvme SSD
    EVGA CLC 240 AIO
    Phanteks P360 A
    Corsair Vengeance RGB 32g @3200
    EVGA Super Nova 750w Gold
    andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/08 09:35:43 (permalink)
    UPDATE - Card #5.  Finally no rattle.
    ----

Ok, so on card #5, I have a silent card that no longer rattles.  And why is that?  Because prior to installing it in my system, I took the cooler off to double check the cooling fins that I have pointed to since the beginning of this thread.  They **were not loose.**  So, no loose fins, no rattling. Imagine that, huh?

So, I am super glad that I finally have a working card, but A) it's unfortunate that myself and so many others had to play this little game to get a working card, and B) this 100% put the nail in the coffin that the noise was, is, and always will be those loose cooling fins in the ACX cooler.

For what it's worth, this latest RMA was the 770 FTW edition, not the SC.  What I did notice was that the ACX cooler was ever so slightly different between these SC cards and the FTW card I now have.  The fins are much, much, much more rigid.  If you tap on them in any spot, it is dead silent.  At no spot on the edges of the fins do they flex or give, not in the slightest.  If I immediately go over to the SC card that I will now be sending back, the difference is pretty clear. Tap on the cooler, and you hear some metal reverberation. The edges of the cooler where the fins are bound to together, many of them have ever-so-slight wiggle room, in addition to the chunk of fins near the the front of the card that are partially disconnected. All other of the 4 SC cards were similar.

So while I would assume that the ACX coolers should be the same across all GPUs, my theory is that some of these SC cards received ACX coolers from a faulty manufacturing process that is not consistent across all cards, since I had a fine 770 SC in the past, but most of these rattling issues seem to be exclusive to GTX 760/770/780 "SC" series cards.  This may be completely baseless, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me when you weigh all the evidence.

EDIT: Upon even closer inspection, the fins on the ACX cooler on the new FTW card seem to have a slight coating of something, perhaps? Less of a copper color than what I saw on the last 4 ACX coolers, and much smoother to the touch, in addition to the other differences above.
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/09/08 20:07:03
    FarCry2012
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/08 09:56:45 (permalink)
    Wow,just baught my first evga product,750 ti ftw and it is very loud rattling sound,is it because the fans are loose or what? I might just as well return it for a refund if this is what evga is produceing and selling to there customers.Very disappointing :(
    FarCry2012
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/08 10:30:22 (permalink)
    Nevermind,I found the problem,it seems when I installed the card that my 6 pin cord was rubbing one of the cooler fans,tehe :P it working great now.
    Brimy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/08 10:35:22 (permalink)
    andrewc513
    UPDATE - Card #5.  Finally no rattle.
    ----

--SNIP--

So while I would assume that the ACX coolers should be the same across all GPUs, my theory is that some of these SC cards received ACX coolers from a faulty manufacturing process that is not consistent across all cards, since I had a fine 770 SC in the past, but most of these rattling issues seem to be exclusive to GTX 760/770/780 "SC" series cards.  This may be completely baseless, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me when you weigh all the evidence.

Glad to hear it worked out fro you. Nicely done EVGA!

It may not be baseless as i have a 760FTW and the cooler is dead silent until you go above 70% fan speed and from 70% to 75% is just the fan's fins cutting the air and the "woosh" of the air through the fins and a ever so slight hum from what i think is the motor structure in the fan and to me that is to be expected. My 760 FTW also has no fin rattle when you tap it which was a wow factor compared to my Galaxy660ti.

Now i helped a person build his PC and he has a 770SC and there is no fin noise from his card right out of the box.
    I hope this is a problem of the past for all customers in the future.

andrewc513
    Re: Loose fins on ACX coolers causing rattling; When will EVGA own up to this? 2014/09/08 20:12:55 (permalink)
    I edited this into my comment above... But what's even more interesting is that after even closer inspection, the fins on the ACX cooler on the new FTW card seem to have a coating of something that was not present on the last 4 cards I returned? This FTW's heatsink has less of a copper color and more of a bronze/off-black color versus what I saw on the last 4 ACX coolers, and it was significantly smoother/slicker to the touch.  I'm kind of wondering if there's some final coating of something that goes on the heatsink, that maybe didn't get applied in the factory to a handful of ACX coolers?

Granted, I'm no manufacturing engineer, but this at least seems very plausible.

I'm at the point where I just want to be vindicated after having the problem first pointed at me, and then later at a completely non-related issue. I got a working card, yes, but I want someone to just admit that yes, there was a problem. Because the "there's no rattling problem, it must be your case" or "it's coil whine" official answers I've received are utterly incorrect.
    post edited by andrewc513 - 2014/09/08 20:17:37
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile