Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Questors
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2016/06/09 07:28:48 (permalink)
Page 7 of the X99 FTW K Manual (PN 151-BE-E097-KR) Motherboard Specifications states the following:
Onboard LAN:
1x Intel i218v Gigabit Ethernet
1x Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet MAC+PHY
Supports 10/100/1000 Mb/sec Ethernet
Ethernet Teaming NOT Supported
Killer Doubleshot supported with Killer Wireless AC 1535 or 1525**

...with the following notation:**Killer Wireless AC is not included and needs to be purchased separately.

I contacted Killer Networking Support about pairing the on board Killer LAN with a Killer 1535 wireless adapter to enable the Double Shot Pro feature.

Killer Support response:
  1. Yes, you must have more than one adapter for Doubleshot to be an option.
  2. Unfortunately we do not sell individual units.
Point 2 conflicts with the last line of the Onboard LAN Specification and the associated notation quoted above from the FTW K manual (bold & italicized).

In my quest to ascertain the viability of establishing the Doubleshot feature with the X99 FTW K motherboard, I discovered there are Killer 1525 & 1535 Wireless AC adapters sold on eBay and Amazon.

Further contact with Killer Support established their understandable policy, "In theory yes. If you have two Killer adapters you could use the DoubleShot feature, however, we could not support the sale from a third party vendor and could not guarantee its functionality."

This begs the question - Is EVGA going to make the Killer Wireless AC adapters available for purchase to support the X99 FTW K expectation of being able to add and enable the Doubleshot feature? Otherwise the information in the manual is misleading.

===============================================================================================================================
**UPDATE** July 11, 2016

Regardless of brand, M.2 devices generally conform to an established form factor and key notch. A user must determine the Key (notch) used to fit a particular M.2 socket and the length of M.2 device PCB in order to select an appropriate adapter to take it from its "bare" form factor to motherboard slot of choice.

*IMPORTANT:
  1. These WiFi/BT cards are NOT SOLD AS RETAIL PRODUCTS by Killer/Rivet Networks.
  2. To purchase one, you must find them for sale through other channels as repair/replacement parts (OEM) or sellers on eBay, AliExpress and/or Amazon and possibly other outlets.
  3. RIVET NETWORKS/KILLER and EVGA are NOT responsible for your results (or lack of) and rightfully OFFER NO SUPPORT! This is a user venture much like a mod, as in a sense, it is a mod.
  4. You may have to find and purchase addition parts, such as antenna and adapter PCBs if necessary for compatibility with your intended use.

This case is specific to the Killer brand 1525 & 1535 M.2 Key E WiFi/BT card (below) and adapting from solitary nakedness to PCI Express on the motherboard in order to tap DoubleShot Pro glory!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i...535&_sacat=0 

There were no Killer brand wireless cards listed for sale at Amazon.com at the time of this Update (approx 1450 hours EST).

EVGA Forum user DAVE2HOT4U has tried a couple adapters in order to make this WiFi/BT card compatible with PCI Express. The adapter below MAY (see notes under pic) involve the purchase of a fully assembled WiFi/BT adapter, removal the WiFi/BT card that comes with the adapter and install the Killer 1525 or 1535 WiFi/BT card in it's place. After that is it a matter of downloading the software from Rivet Networks/Killer.

**NOTE** there are several versions of this same model number! The version of this adapter that works with the Killer Key E WiFi cards is listed as REV 4.2 - as in Bluetooth 4.2! The other version of this adapter is for miniSATA slot to PCI Express. There are also adapters with this same model number which DO NOT have WiFi/BT cards installed!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Gigabyte+GC-WB867D-I&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.XGigabyte+GC-WB867D-I+REV4.2.TRS0&_nkw=Gigabyte+GC-WB867D-I+REV4.2&_sacat=0

https://www.amazon.com/s/...867D-I+REV%2Caps%2C233

IF other adapters are found to be compatible with the Killer 1525 & 1535 WiFi cards, this post will be updated.

post edited by Questors - 2016/07/15 06:57:03

Attached Image(s)

39 Replies Related Threads

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1114
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/09 10:57:43 (permalink)
    Thats a Good Question. Due to the fact I was wanting to use that Killer feature also. Windows 10 users would benifit from that Double Shot Pro feature also.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/09 14:51:05 (permalink)
    Nice find Quest.  I'm curious to know as well.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    zerocool101
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 473
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/09 20:17:58 (permalink)
    I'd like to know as well :)

13900KS on Z690 Dark KP
    FE 4090
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/09 23:44:26 (permalink)
    For those who hasnt understood Killer Double Shot Pro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7VGFpVaWzo) this has helped me but still hasnt answered all my questions. They also tell you the only way to get a Killer wifi card is thru buying a Laptop or off ebay or Amazon.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/10 00:11:07 (permalink)
    And when I saw them off on ebay a month or two ago, what are you suppose to do with the antenna inputs?  You'll have a bit of a wiring mess as well.  I always thought there were some wifi ones built on to the chip and not have the need to connect anything to them.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/10 01:12:38 (permalink)
    I dont know about the wiring nightmare but I just ordered one before they were gone for 36.00 off ebay and came out of a new computer dell killer 1535

Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/11 13:25:43 (permalink)
    gtxjackbauer
    And when I saw them off on ebay a month or two ago, what are you suppose to do with the antenna inputs?  You'll have a bit of a wiring mess as well.  I always thought there were some wifi ones built on to the chip and not have the need to connect anything to them.

My plan is to buy a M.2 to PCI Express adapter. The units I have looked at have antennas outside the PCI I/O at the back of the computer. It's not much different than buying a preassembled wireless adapter.

Although I still miscalculate here and there, I plan my builds in detail ahead of buying anything. For instance, my GPUs are GTX 980 K|NGP|Ns using single slot bracket & waterblocks. Thus the 1x slot on the  X99 FTW K is available for use. Single slot graphics re-open PC building and modding of days past.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/13 15:59:50 (permalink)
    To clarify, the Killer NIC that is on there, on its own cannot initiate doubleshot, as there is nothing to doubleshot with, however, if you were to purchase either a M.2 or a PCI-E Killer Wireless product like the Killer 1525 or the Killer 1535, then the software should have no problem using that functionality.

I apologize if the manual lead to any confusion, however pre-release of this board, and after the release of the Classified-K (Z170) I was asked on several occasions about the Killer NIC's compatibility with Doubleshot if they had a Killer Wifi, so I added it into the manual to avoid confusion, and apparently I added some.

Hope that clears it up.
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/14 10:25:59 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    To clarify, the Killer NIC that is on there, on its own cannot initiate doubleshot, as there is nothing to doubleshot with, however, if you were to purchase either a M.2 or a PCI-E Killer Wireless product like the Killer 1525 or the Killer 1535, then the software should have no problem using that functionality.

I apologize if the manual lead to any confusion, however pre-release of this board, and after the release of the Classified-K (Z170) I was asked on several occasions about the Killer NIC's compatibility with Doubleshot if they had a Killer Wifi, so I added it into the manual to avoid confusion, and apparently I added some.

Hope that clears it up.

It's all good. I knew the X99 FTW K didn't have wireless or Doubleshot capability. The wording in the manual *could* lead a person to think the Killer wireless adapters are for retail sale as an add-on card to provide enabling both wireless capability and Doubleshot to boards like the X99 FTW K.  I am glad you added this to the manual. It prompted me to investigate this feature.

To me, it is worth the effort of finding a non-supported adapter and give it a try.

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/17 18:58:38 (permalink)
    Just waiting on my adapter. Hope it works correctly once I buy the FTW K ! Once i get it built will give results.
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/28 12:07:52 (permalink)
    Ordered the adapter but got the wrong one. Has anyone got any idea where to find the right PCIe adapter for the killer wifi ? I looked on Newegg and Microcenter didnt find any.Or will this just fit into the M.2 slot and work without adapter. Sorry not up on this New tech.

post edited by DAVE2HOT4U - 2016/06/28 12:20:42
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/28 15:17:44 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
    Ordered the adapter but got the wrong one. Has anyone got any idea where to find the right PCIe adapter for the killer wifi ? I looked on Newegg and Microcenter didnt find any.Or will this just fit into the M.2 slot and work without adapter. Sorry not up on this New tech.

Be more specific on which one you got and which one you should have gotten.  Product links and images will be helpful.

Thanks

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/28 17:26:48 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U

The old adage, A picture is worth a thousand words...

Intel lists the double notch for the WiFi card below as Key A & E, but is supposed to work with a Key E M.2 adapter card.

The drawing and picture below demonstrate Key M used with SSDs.

This M.2 stuff can get to be a bit much. I still have to refer to my notes from time to time. Based on information provided by Intel, if your Killer Wireless AC card looks like this (model 1525 or 1535), they should work with a Key E to PCI Express adapter.

If I understand properly, if your card looks like this example below, it is a Mini PCI Express slot half-height card. If you remove the wireless adapters board makers put in the I/O area, you would find this.

If I got anything wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

Attached Image(s)

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/28 22:38:06 (permalink)
    Questors
    DAVE2HOT4U

The old adage, A picture is worth a thousand words...

Intel lists the double notch for the WiFi card below as Key A & E, but is supposed to work with a Key E M.2 adapter card.

The drawing and picture below demonstrate Key M used with SSDs.

This M.2 stuff can get to be a bit much. I still have to refer to my notes from time to time. Based on information provided by Intel, if your Killer Wireless AC card looks like this (model 1525 or 1535), they should work with a Key E to PCI Express adapter.

If I understand properly, if your card looks like this example below, it is a Mini PCI Express slot half-height card. If you remove the wireless adapters board makers put in the I/O area, you would find this.

If I got anything wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

Thank you ! I have the 1535 killer card. It was stated above. That helps me determine what adapter to buy, but not where to buy. gtxjackbauer why would I post a picture of a adapter that I know doesnt work ?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/28 23:45:50 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U

Thank you ! I have the 1535 killer card. It was stated above. That helps me determine what adapter to buy, but not where to buy. gtxjackbauer why would I post a picture of a adapter that I know doesnt work ?

It was more of a reference or a tutorial of what not to buy for everyone else is all.  Thanks for letting us know, no doubt.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/29 06:01:43 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U

These adapters are sold on Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress and MicroSataCables to name a few.
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/29 12:23:25 (permalink)
    gtxjackbauer
    DAVE2HOT4U

It was more of a reference or a tutorial of what not to buy for everyone else is all.  Thanks for letting us know, no doubt.

OK I bought a Atheros AR5B22 PCIe wifi adapter ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/f...D311345550532) It is way to big for this small chip. Reason for buying it supported Bluetooth WIFI 4.0 and I didnt have the chip(1535) yet in hand. Looks like a nice unit very well constructed with 2 antenna. Had the chip already installed. So my chip arrived and I went to install the killer 1535 and the chip was approx. 1/3 less in size in width. So back to the drawing board.
    post edited by DAVE2HOT4U - 2016/06/29 12:43:24
    sutt359
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 144
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 08:23:11 (permalink)
    I'm more confused than a pork pie at a Jewish wedding.

So the Killer 1535 has 2 notches taken out so will that fit directly into the EVGA X99 FTW without an adaptor?

EVGA X299 FTW, Intel i9 10920x, 32gb Corsair Vantage Pro RGB, RTX 3080 IT FE, Corsair 5000x, Corsair H150i Elite, Nvme 1tb, 1TB SSD, EVGA 1000w G5, Creative SBX AE-5.
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 10:20:50 (permalink)
    sutt359

So the Killer 1535 has 2 notches taken out so will that fit directly into the EVGA X99 FTW without an adaptor?

No, you need a mini-PCI Express to PCI Express adapter. I am not advocating buying this specific adapter. It is just an example...uh...for example. 

Some motherboards have a mini-PCI Express slot in the I/O area for wireless cards. Mini-ITX boards sometimes have this slot for direct connection.

If your motherboard has a socket keyed for a specific M.2 form factor, then you can plug than matching card straight to the motherboard.

A quick but informative article:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

post edited by Questors - 2016/06/30 10:28:50

Attached Image(s)

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 10:22:51 (permalink)
    sutt359

That was my thoughts as well. Havent tried it yet. But where would the antenna's mount ? Was main reason going to a adapter.
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 10:31:55 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
    sutt359

That was my thoughts as well. Havent tried it yet. But where would the antenna's mount ? Was main reason going to a adapter.

I responded to sutt359, but found a mistake and edited my post while you were posting your last message. Scroll up above your last post and see if that helps. There is also a link I had left out initially.
    sutt359
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 10:33:41 (permalink)
    I would have ordered some laptop antenna that stick to the inside of the case. Only about £5 for the 3. I remember my old Mac Pro tower had the same thing.

Something like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252314252713

Or
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321280195325
    post edited by sutt359 - 2016/06/30 10:41:01

EVGA X299 FTW, Intel i9 10920x, 32gb Corsair Vantage Pro RGB, RTX 3080 IT FE, Corsair 5000x, Corsair H150i Elite, Nvme 1tb, 1TB SSD, EVGA 1000w G5, Creative SBX AE-5.
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 10:45:11 (permalink)
    Questors
    sutt359

No, you need a mini-PCI Express to PCI Express adapter. I am not advocating buying this specific adapter. It is just an example...uh...for example. 

Some motherboards have a mini-PCI Express slot in the I/O area for wireless cards. Mini-ITX boards sometimes have this slot for direct connection.

If your motherboard has a socket keyed for a specific M.2 form factor, then you can plug than matching card straight to the motherboard.

A quick but informative article:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

Well that is what I bought and it was the wrong kind of socket for my killer 1535 and I cant seem to find the correct socket for my card.
     I have found that it takes the E socket but most sellers dont give that information.
     Not only that after 7 days the seller considers the Product Used and No Refund. Just my luck.
    post edited by DAVE2HOT4U - 2016/06/30 11:07:16
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 12:57:20 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U

Well that is what I bought and it was the wrong kind of socket for my killer 1535 and I cant seem to find the correct socket for my card.
     I have found that it takes the E socket but most sellers dont give that information.
     Not only that after 7 days the seller considers the Product Used and No Refund. Just my luck.

This adapter is Key E to mPCI Express. Is it possible to install your wireless card into this, then install this into your mPCI Ex to PCI Ex adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGR3VB8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B011BM9CSQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=J4W3FJ4ZCSHR4P42G53D

Install the adapter to adapt the adapter to another adaptation for installation in an adapter for compatibility with the adapter that adapts mPCI Express to PCI Express!  My head hurts!
    sutt359
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 13:29:16 (permalink)
    From the looks of it that won't fit into the FTW m.2 socket.

Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 14:42:38 (permalink)
    sutt359
    From the looks of it that won't fit into the FTW m.2 socket.

It is meant to fit in a PCI Express slot. The M.2 slot on the X99 FTW K is a Key M socket for SSDs. There is probably an adapter out there somewhere for Key M to Key E, but I have yet to see one. I have been working on the premise you folks wanted to adapt the wireless card to a PCI Express slot.
    post edited by Questors - 2016/07/10 08:35:44
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/06/30 22:47:46 (permalink)
    Questors

It is meant to fit in a PCI Express slot. The M.2 slot on the X99 FTW K is a Key M socket for SSDs. There probably is an adapter out there somewhere for Key M to Key E, but I have yet to see one. I have been working on the premise you folks wanted to adapt the wireless card to a PCI Express slot.

That was my plan! dont know what he wants to do ?
     Also the link you posted doesnt have any antenna !
    post edited by DAVE2HOT4U - 2016/06/30 22:50:04
    Questors
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/07/01 13:02:37 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
    Questors

It is meant to fit in a PCI Express slot. The M.2 slot on the X99 FTW K is a Key M socket for SSDs. There probably is an adapter out there somewhere for Key M to Key E, but I have yet to see one. I have been working on the premise you folks wanted to adapt the wireless card to a PCI Express slot.

That was my plan! dont know what he wants to do ?
     Also the link you posted doesnt have any antenna !

So, where are we now? Yes, antenna! Antennas can be purchased separately on Amazon and as of a short time ago, eBay and AliExpress. Again, there are probably 100 other places to find them as well.

Moving along...
    Yes, this is an Intel wireless card. BUT!!! It is the same form factor as the Killer brand wireless card. Yes?!
    Now, here is an adapter for this type of wireless card, which should be suitable to adapt from M.2 Key to PCI Express.

https://www.amazon.com/NGFF-Wireless-Card-PCI-e-Adapter/dp/B016RU3T6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467401605&sr=8-1&keywords=M.2+to+PCI+Express+wifi+%26+bluetooth+adapter

looks like the same item, but different brand

https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Wireless-Passive-Express-Supports/dp/B0146BSM1M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51qHqmyytuL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=AHEHBJMBFJ2F1SNWTNQ4

A different product - currently sold out - but it provides a basis for a Web search.

https://www.amazon.com/Bplus-wireless-half-size-standard-PCI-Express1x/dp/B00KHMTC9G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=4180SerjlbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=AHEHBJMBFJ2F1SNWTNQ4
    If these look like the real deal, make sure you look at the how big a wireless card they accept.

Attached Image(s)

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Killer LAN and Doubleshot Support 2016/07/01 17:05:34 (permalink)
    Well I have found the Right adapter ! For those of you looking (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GC-WB867D-I-REV-4-2-Exclusive-Bluetooth-4-2-WiFi-Expansion-Card-/381671883092?hash=item58dd6ac154:g:ILAAAOSwepJXYm0r) check to make sure it works with your card and computer before buying !
    post edited by DAVE2HOT4U - 2016/07/09 11:57:01
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile