Just bought 980ti

Author
sydneyblue
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/19 19:05:21 (permalink)
06G-P4-4997-KR
I just bought this at new egg and for some reason I cant find it on evga product list. I have seem a youtuber who did an unboxing and they claimed the card didn't have led on the side but this guys card had then can someone confirm.

26 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/19 19:12:22 (permalink)
    http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=892203E3-080A-4BA2-9CBF-BF0C18D810C9

Looks like it is a reference clocked 980 Ti Classified, the exact same card as the 4998 which has the full classified speeds except yours was downclocked by EVGA to run at only reference speeds - hence the 4997 part number.

Other than the speeds, it is identical to the 4998.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/08/19 19:14:51
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 06:45:00 (permalink)
    they made like 5 classy's   kinda discussed here ??  
    http://forums.evga.com/Cant-Overclock-980-Ti-Classified-4998KR-m2526032.aspx

I just don't get why its a classy if not clocked any better then reference  cards ?   sales gimmick  ?  they see classified  on the sticker and buy  when in fact is not close to classy clocks or anything  ??? 
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 06:59:17 (permalink)
    Dr.Death

I just don't get why its a classy if not clocked any better then reference  cards ?   sales gimmick  ?  they see classified  on the sticker and buy  when in fact is not close to classy clocks or anything  ??? 

They're just too cheap to throw it away like other companies so they give it a new name.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 08:45:16 (permalink)
    Dr.Death

The reference clocks and different part number denote that it failed to pass EVGA's QA testing for the full OC Classified speed.

So, they changed the part number and added REF to the name, set the clock speed to reference levels, and sold it.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 09:04:39 (permalink)
    arestavo

The reference clocks and different part number denote that it failed to pass EVGA's QA testing for the full OC Classified speed.

So, they changed the part number and added REF to the name, set the clock speed to reference levels, and sold it.

Yeah, that's another way of saying what I stated above about these boards failing the qualifications to earn the Classified title yet still being sold as a Classified. I'm a little steamed about it. I got an email announcing all of the great awesome deals available for their 17th Anniversary Event at the EVGA store. I saw a Classified video board with backplate and I thought I was really getting a good deal until someone pointed out the 'REF' designation and the low clock speeds. A week later I could have got a 'real' Classified from NewEgg for the same price I paid for this crippled video board. EVGA agreed to issue me a refund but refused to pay the return shipping. To ship it back and insuring it for $500 would have been expensive plus I would lose the $50 MIR plus the free shipping suddenly increased to $26. Yes, I am more than a little miffed about it. I don't have any switches to increase my voltage on the back of my board either so I am voltage locked at 1.212 whether I like it or not. It does have a decent ASIC of 78.9 so it may or may not perform better than advertised. I call it deceptive advertising but EVGA will call it business. None of my previous video boards manufactured by EVGA have ever performed as advertised by the many, many reviewers. EVGA claims that none of these chips are 'binned'? Baloney! Every single board is binned so they know which category to place it in. Sometimes you are paying extra for just a few more MHz but it's a SSC and not a SC model you tell yourself. As far as I am concerned this 3997-KR board I bought is nothing more than decoration.

"Scheherazade" - http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=35795

post edited by Zuhl3156 - 2016/08/20 09:07:04
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 09:29:45 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    arestavo

Yeah, that's another way of saying what I stated above about these boards failing the qualifications to earn the Classified title yet still being sold as a Classified. I'm a little steamed about it. I got an email announcing all of the great awesome deals available for their 17th Anniversary Event at the EVGA store. I saw a Classified video board with backplate and I thought I was really getting a good deal until someone pointed out the 'REF' designation and the low clock speeds. A week later I could have got a 'real' Classified from NewEgg for the same price I paid for this crippled video board. EVGA agreed to issue me a refund but refused to pay the return shipping. To ship it back and insuring it for $500 would have been expensive plus I would lose the $50 MIR plus the free shipping suddenly increased to $26. Yes, I am more than a little miffed about it. I don't have any switches to increase my voltage on the back of my board either so I am voltage locked at 1.212 whether I like it or not. It does have a decent ASIC of 78.9 so it may or may not perform better than advertised. I call it deceptive advertising but EVGA will call it business. None of my previous video boards manufactured by EVGA have ever performed as advertised by the many, many reviewers. EVGA claims that none of these chips are 'binned'? Baloney! Every single board is binned so they know which category to place it in. Sometimes you are paying extra for just a few more MHz but it's a SSC and not a SC model you tell yourself. As far as I am concerned this 3997-KR board I bought is nothing more than decoration.

"Scheherazade" - http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=35795

Can't you just step up to a 1070? It will basically have the same performance (or better if your REF model can't OC well), and the price should be about the same so you'll probably only have to pay for shipping. Or a 1080 if you want.

As to the voltage? I've got a 980 Ti Classified - more voltage does jack all to help in OCing it. Keeping the temps LOW (as in, below 45 to 50C) is the only thing that gets me more MHz with it. 1454 MHz stable with the air cooler, 1505MHz under water and if ambient temps are in the low 60F range I can run benchmarks at 1525.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/08/20 09:33:40
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 09:49:24 (permalink)
    arestavo

Can't you just step up to a 1070? It will basically have the same performance (or better if your REF model can't OC well), and the price should be about the same so you'll probably only have to pay for shipping. Or a 1080 if you want.

As to the voltage? I've got a 980 Ti Classified - more voltage does jack all to help in OCing it. Keeping the temps LOW (as in, below 45 to 50C) is the only thing that gets me more MHz with it. 1454 MHz stable with the air cooler, 1505MHz under water and if ambient temps are in the low 60F range I can run benchmarks at 1525.

I haven't had a lot of time to test its limits or find out if or how far it will OC. I am using the PC now and have been busy downloading BF4 for the past few hours. That should give it a decent workout and I know what kind of FPS my main PC gets with its 980 SLI so I have something to compare it too. I'm not sure that I want to step up to another EVGA video board. If things go the same as before I will only walk away disappointed anyway. I am convinced that MSI has a superior product after seeing how far I could take my GTX-980 Gaming 4G boards. I can't think of any reason not to stick with MSI for my video boards. Their customer service isn't as bad as many would have you believe. I pitched a fit because my RMA replacement video board had smashed heat pipes and their reply was that I should expect a few scratches or scuff marks because these are refurbished products. Scratches and scuffs are one thing but it looked like someone took a sledge to my heat pipes which are the most visible part. In the end they made me happy with a replacement that had an almost identical ASIC. I don't have a pic of those smashed pipes on this PC. I'll upload it later when I am back on my main PC.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 11:27:03 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    arestavo

I haven't had a lot of time to test its limits or find out if or how far it will OC. I am using the PC now and have been busy downloading BF4 for the past few hours. That should give it a decent workout and I know what kind of FPS my main PC gets with its 980 SLI so I have something to compare it too. I'm not sure that I want to step up to another EVGA video board. If things go the same as before I will only walk away disappointed anyway. I am convinced that MSI has a superior product after seeing how far I could take my GTX-980 Gaming 4G boards. I can't think of any reason not to stick with MSI for my video boards. Their customer service isn't as bad as many would have you believe. I pitched a fit because my RMA replacement video board had smashed heat pipes and their reply was that I should expect a few scratches or scuff marks because these are refurbished products. Scratches and scuffs are one thing but it looked like someone took a sledge to my heat pipes which are the most visible part. In the end they made me happy with a replacement that had an almost identical ASIC. I don't have a pic of those smashed pipes on this PC. I'll upload it later when I am back on my main PC.

It's all the silicon lottery (it is even more obvious now with the 10 series), and if you think otherwise...well, I feel sorry for ya man.

Whatever board partner you choose, I hope you have better luck. I know I've had pretty bad luck in the past with expensive boards with all the bells and whistles. But recently I got lucky with an RMA on my Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 gaming that hits 1580 under water without any vrm heatsinks. Got some thermal tape on the way as my heatsinks with their really bad 3M tape won't stick at all. Hopefully I'll hit 1600 or more with those heatsinks, but we'll see.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 11:33:34 (permalink)
    arestavo

It's all the silicon lottery (it is even more obvious now with the 10 series), and if you think otherwise...well, I feel sorry for ya man.

Whatever board partner you choose, I hope you have better luck. I know I've had pretty bad luck in the past with expensive boards with all the bells and whistles. But recently I got lucky with an RMA on my Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 gaming that hits 1580 under water without any vrm heatsinks. Got some thermal tape on the way as my heatsinks with their really bad 3M tape won't stick at all. Hopefully I'll hit 1600 or more with those heatsinks, but we'll see.

I can't even view the step-up options available to me because the EVGA world class customer support team still hasn't cancelled my RMA. I just submitted another support ticket asking again to have the RMA for refund cancelled. The last time I asked was on the 8th and then I asked again when it wasn't removed. When I try to look at my step-up options I am told that this product is not available for step-up because it has an RMA associated with it. I figure I am going to be using it for a while so I even bought the extended warranty but I don't qualify for a step-up.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 13:29:08 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    arestavo

I can't even view the step-up options available to me because the EVGA world class customer support team still hasn't cancelled my RMA. I just submitted another support ticket asking again to have the RMA for refund cancelled. The last time I asked was on the 8th and then I asked again when it wasn't removed. When I try to look at my step-up options I am told that this product is not available for step-up because it has an RMA associated with it. I figure I am going to be using it for a while so I even bought the extended warranty but I don't qualify for a step-up.

If nothing disqualifies you in their program http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ then you do qualify.

Call them and get it fixed: http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/ 
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 13:40:09 (permalink)
    My 14 day window closes Monday and it won't be because I forgot about it. This video board is officially a failure. It starts its thermal throttling at 58° then drops by 13 MHz again and again until it bottoms out at 1345 MHz at 70°C. That ain't right. These boards aren't supposed to throttle at all until 80°.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 13:47:18 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    My 14 day window closes Monday and it won't be because I forgot about it. This video board is officially a failure. It starts its thermal throttling at 58° then drops by 13 MHz again and again until it bottoms out at 1345 MHz at 70°C. That ain't right. These boards aren't supposed to throttle at all until 80°.

The 14 day window is to register the card. After registration, you have 90 days to start the step up starting from the purchase date. You've read the http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ ?

Mine drops ~14MHz at ~60C, and doesn't drop further until about 80C (with the air cooler).

Same for my Gigabyte 980 Ti.

Yours shouldn't be dropping further under 80C unless it is power or voltage starved - run GPU-Z with the sensors tab open and check what the throttle code is.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/08/20 13:51:18
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 14:02:14 (permalink)
    I was using Afterburner and the Voltage Limit wasn't triggered. I think this board is a lemon. My 980 boards never got hot enough on air to throttle at all and I was doing some Folding at Home on both boards all night long for days at a time. It must be some kind of design flaw in the 'ti' GPU chip or its thermal circuitry that was too expensive to fix so they swept it under the rug hoping nobody would notice. I started BF4 at 1383 MHz and finished at 1345 MHz and that's a lot of 13 MHz steps as it throttled down.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/20 14:14:15 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    I was using Afterburner and the Voltage Limit wasn't triggered. I think this board is a lemon. My 980 boards never got hot enough on air to throttle at all and I was doing some Folding at Home on both boards all night long for days at a time. It must be some kind of design flaw in the 'ti' GPU chip or its thermal circuitry that was too expensive to fix so they swept it under the rug hoping nobody would notice. I started BF4 at 1383 MHz and finished at 1345 MHz and that's a lot of 13 MHz steps as it throttled down.

So let me get this right - you DID NOT use GPU-Z to see what the throttle code was and are just assuming?

It's a free program man, just try it and see what it says.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/24 15:30:37 (permalink)
    ''GPU-Z to see what the throttle code''

where is this located  in /on gpu-z  ?   I've used it for some time and  that's new to me  ?    can you post a screen shot or link   or a how to  use or determine /translate  the code used ?

I googled   ''GPU-Z  throttle code''   but don't see anything on that deal    unless you mean get the bios and open it to view ??

ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/24 15:44:37 (permalink)
    This in my opinion is Dirty. What you see is what you get. nope not this time. its not a classified. 

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/24 15:58:31 (permalink)
    It's called PerfCap in GPU-Z. Nope, it ain't a Classified and should not be sold as one.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 06:45:14 (permalink)
    ''It's called PerfCap in GPU-Z. ' ?
     I know what it is . don't see where it shows throttling on my cards  in any way .    need to do better then that ,  and wheres the code ?

ya, sad thing is how many just see the  wording  ''classified ''   in bold sticking out lettering  on the box and take that for granted  with out looking in to anything else on the card like the specs .  then like said there were like 5  classy's  / part numbers  [not just classy's as well this goes on a lot at evga]   so knowing this you got to look up and research each part number to see what's what  and any changes  or what ever ..

I guess with evga the term ''subject to change with out notice ''   goes a long way    and how you look at a part  that's still for sale at like newegg or amazon  and find its not even listed at evga's product pages   unless you do a google custom search  of it  or it comes in a plain brown box  unlike the rest in a nice EVGA brand box  ?? hmmmmmmm...... buyer beware
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 06:48:55 (permalink)
    PerfCap codes - https://www.techpowerup.c...erfcap-reasons.221453/

Power, therm, Vrel, etc.

Edit: PerCap code is shown when you click the Sensors tab, and it is a real time logging window that can be enlarged. Fields can be hovered over with the mouse at different points in the graph to see codes/data.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/08/25 06:53:37
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 06:57:23 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    It's called PerfCap in GPU-Z. Nope, it ain't a Classified and should not be sold as one.

I'd call EVGA Customer Service - get the RMA issue taken care of

If you decide not to step-up, time to check the TIM & thermal pads on this lazy GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 07:04:21 (permalink)
    I have emailed EVGA Support and I am waiting for a response.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 12:44:34 (permalink)

so with all the ''flags'' here wheres it throttling it at ?/   thing is that gpu boost    I mean you claim you got to lesser 980ti classy at reference clocks  but you say it will do  '' 1383 MHz and finished at 1345 MHz ??   whats the complaint ?  EVGA states  speced 1190 boost clock of it and yours is getting  1345 out of the box ??  looks like you got a better then speced card to me  .  evga only guarantees  at minimum 1190  so anything you get over that is good  gravy   and you fell on the good side of luck of the draw on that card 

''It starts its thermal throttling at 58° then drops by 13 MHz again and again until it bottoms out at 1345 MHz at 70°C''

that's what a lot found out on there 900 air cards as well and not just evga   look it up   like google  gtx 970 throttles at 60c for example  and see they also see that 13 MHz drop   looks common to me

''The clock (-13MHz) and voltage throttling at 65°C and 75°C is normal behavior of Nvidia Boost 2.0''
    http://''www.overclock.net/t/1528783/msi-gtx-970-gaming-voltage-throttling-at-65-deg

plenty on it
    post edited by Dr.Death - 2016/08/25 12:52:47
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 12:49:10 (permalink)
    It looks like you don't understand the concept of thermal throttling.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 12:54:54 (permalink)
    look like you don't   did you see I said  that above ?

well sorry it seems to of got removed ??   I sais above  that voltage limits and temps throttle    why it got removed I don't know from above ?  heck near a paragraph got removed form my last post on that ??

anyway don't blame evga if you made a mistake on the correct 980ti classy card  you bought    should of looked before you leaped  if you got that REF one  to start with 
    post edited by Dr.Death - 2016/08/25 13:01:39
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 13:24:42 (permalink)
    The 13MHz drops aren't thermal throttling. Dynamic frequency control (built in feature that helps keep the card as cool as possible at certain temps) is the cause of the 13MHz drops. Thermal throttling takes place when temperatures exceed rated limits of the gpu. 13MHz drops @ 60c, 70c, & 80c isn't thermal throttling it's dynamic frequency control. Thermal throttling will cause the gpu to drop way way more than 13MHz once the gpu exceeds 92c.
    post edited by Sajin - 2016/08/25 13:36:05
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Just bought 980ti 2016/08/25 13:47:46 (permalink)
    Dr.Death

That GPU-Z temp looks kind of high

My EVGA 980 SC --- on air

1505 GPU core,
    1502 memory clock,
    GPU 66 C,  Room 27 C
    fan 3580 RPM, 81%,
    GPU Load 99%
    Power TDP 101%
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/25 13:53:06

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile