EVGA

Issues with random shut downs. Need help.

Author
AusFuzzy
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/12/17 20:38:49 (permalink)
Hi everyone, first time on the forums sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Starting December 8th after coming back home from a friend's LAN party, my computer has been having issues, as in random shut downs. I've opened a technical support ticket on the 12th of December no reply yet so I was hoping you fine people could assist me.

First my system specs.
Motherboard: Maximus VII Hero
CPU: Intel i5 4670K
Memory: 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Dominator Platinum 
Graphics: EVGA NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 Ti ACX SC
PSU: EVGA 750G2 SuperNova

When my comp randomly shuts down it would try to reboot itself. It constantly turns on with the lights and fans turning on then immediately off again doing this several times until it successfully turns on again. When it does this I would get 1 of 2 messages.
"Overclocking Failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system."
and
"Power Supply surges detected during previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit."

I should note I haven't overclocked any of my hardware, other than the Graphics card which comes already overclocked.

I have taken all components out and installed them back in to make sure everything was seated properly it all seems to be fine. I have monitored my temperature even when it was in the 50-60 degree area and doing nothing but watch a live stream it would shut down. When the computer has been off all night I turn it on in the morning it would do the constant turn on turn off issue (this isn't always the case).

What's interesting is that when the computer is off and trying to turn on state if I wiggle the motherboard cable that connects to the PSU side, it turns on and if I release it turns off. That makes me think it's the connector in the PSU or cable I unfortunately don't have another motherboard cable to swap out to test.

I've had this setup for at least 5 months with no problems, until now. It's driving me nuts.

18 Replies Related Threads

Tropickz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 735
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 20:44:51 (permalink)
    Could be the PSU..
    Have you tried resetting CMOS

AusFuzzy
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 20:55:14 (permalink)
    Tropickz
    Could be the PSU..
    Have you tried resetting CMOS

I have pressed the CLR_CMOS button a few times on the motherboard when it was in the turn on & off phase, it would start the computer up but I still get the shut downs
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 20:56:45 (permalink)
    When you got back from the LAN party did you re-seat your cards and check all your connections.
    While at the LAN party did you make any changes or install Any Software?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

AusFuzzy
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 21:11:34 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    When you got back from the LAN party did you re-seat your cards and check all your connections.
    While at the LAN party did you make any changes or install Any Software?

I didn't re-seat my gfx card or check connections it didn't cross my mind because nothing was wrong with it until maybe 3-4 hours after I got back. I thought the power went out in the house. I don't exactly remember what I did that day when it first happened though :[, but i'm assuming I would of checked connections but can't say for sure.

At the LAN all I did was connect to my friend's network and install a few games.

ALSO! There was an electrical storm close-by the place the first day (two day LAN), that turned the power off so all our comps shut off, but none of my friends are having any issues with their PCs, and the second day of the LAN I didn't have any of these issues.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 21:30:11 (permalink)
    You may have blown a component when it reset during the storm, but my first suggest is to check the cables.

Pull the motherboard 24 pin and look at the connectors to make sure none are burnt. Make sure all of the wires are fully seated inside the connector by giving them all a push.

Also try pulling the PSU side, since it is full modular, and check both.

If you can look through the fan, verify that there are not visible blown capacitors or burnt wires.

If you want to test the 24 pin you could use an ohm meter to test continuity of the wires.

If that seems to be the issue, send me a pm once you have enough posts(can not see post count from mobile) and I will fire over a stock 24 pin G2 cable. I will require yours (only if you keep mine) after testing or mine back, but I only use the stock cable for priming the watercooling system, so I need to maintain a way to do that.
    Tropickz
    SSC Member
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 21:30:34 (permalink)
    I would try to get hands on another PSU to test .. I think that is where the problem is since it's sounds more hardware then software.

AusFuzzy
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 21:50:52 (permalink)
    It was running fine for about an hour 15 mins while I was watching Anime. Tried to play Heroes of the storm to see if it would last but nope got in a game and boom turns off. So now I'm going to do the things that was suggested.

Tropickz
    I would try to get hands on another PSU to test .. I think that is where the problem is since it's sounds more hardware then software.

Is there any way to get another PSU just to test if my friend's don't have a spare? Like does anyone know, do computer shops offer something like this to test.
    Tropickz
    SSC Member
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 22:44:10 (permalink)
    Couldn't tell ya but they should be able to test the PSU on load for you if you bring it to em or just buy one @ local store, take pics of the unboxing, and keep the receipt

AusFuzzy
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 23:24:14 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    You may have blown a component when it reset during the storm, but my first suggest is to check the cables.

Pull the motherboard 24 pin and look at the connectors to make sure none are burnt. Make sure all of the wires are fully seated inside the connector by giving them all a push.

Also try pulling the PSU side, since it is full modular, and check both.

If you can look through the fan, verify that there are not visible blown capacitors or burnt wires.

If you want to test the 24 pin you could use an ohm meter to test continuity of the wires.

If that seems to be the issue, send me a pm once you have enough posts(can not see post count from mobile) and I will fire over a stock 24 pin G2 cable. I will require yours (only if you keep mine) after testing or mine back, but I only use the stock cable for priming the watercooling system, so I need to maintain a way to do that.

Interesting. I may have gotten something? My dad helped me test the PSU and the 24 pin cable.
    An ohm meter was used to check the continuity of the 24 pin cable it seemed fine. When connected to the PSU and turned on only 2 pins came out with voltage (using a volt meter) from the PSU one measured 4.99V to 5.00V and the other fluctuates in between 0.00V to 4.00V when the connector going into the PSU was moved or the PSU was tapped. Is this normal?

UPDATE: We unplugged the 18 pin connector from the PSU leaving the 10 pin connector plugged in then tested the connector on the PSU that was fluctuating and it did the same between 0.00V to 4.00V this leaves me to believe it's the connector in the PSU.
    post edited by AusFuzzy - 2014/12/17 23:46:31
    Tropickz
    SSC Member
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/17 23:42:45 (permalink)
    Do you remember the colors of the two that came out with readings ?
    post edited by Tropickz - 2014/12/17 23:46:59

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/18 00:07:46 (permalink)
    Did you guys connect the PSU tester to the 24 pin to make sure the psu was fully running before checking the voltages? This is what I'm talking about...

If you did connect it before turning on and testing the psu with the voltmeter then it sounds like only the 3v & 5v are working correctly (but under spec) and your 12v is dead.
    post edited by Sajin - 2014/12/18 00:16:46
    AusFuzzy
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/18 00:12:28 (permalink)
    Tropickz
    Do you remember the colors of the two that came out with readings ?

The cable is all black unfortunetly so I'm not sure what colour but I found an image in my motherboard user guide showing the EATXPWR on page 1-44 so all I can really say is they are both the +5 Volts. If looking at the image it's the 4th pin on the right side and the 9th pin on the left.
    AusFuzzy
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/18 00:25:42 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Did you guys connect the PSU tester to the 24 pin to make sure the psu was fully running before checking the voltages? This is what I'm talking about...

[Image]

If you did connect it before turning on and testing the psu with the voltmeter then it sounds like only the 3v & 5v are working correctly (but under spec) and your 12v is dead.

Ok we just connected it with the PSU tester at first it didn't turn on, then we pushed down and held the connector that's plugged into the PSU and the fan started spinning, we released it and it stopped. Did this a few times same results. So I'm guessing when I'm doing something that makes my fans run high my PSU gets some movement and that connector nudges a bit which in turn, turns off my computer.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/18 00:30:09 (permalink)
    Sounds like it's time to send the PSU back to EVGA for replacement as the cable isn't the problem.
    rcarlos243
    • Total Posts : 97
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/18 00:33:37 (permalink)
    AusFuzzy
    Sajin

[Image]

Ok we just connected it with the PSU tester at first it didn't turn on, then we pushed down and held the connector that's plugged into the PSU and the fan started spinning, we released it and it stopped. Did this a few times same results. So I'm guessing when I'm doing something that makes my fans run high my PSU gets some movement and that connector nudges a bit which in turn, turns off my computer.

Just rma the PSU
    AusFuzzy
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/18 00:42:33 (permalink)
    Never actually RMAed anything so don't really know the process but it seems like I need a Tech Support ticket number to start one. Good thing I got contacted by someone about 10 minutes ago, so now gotta get through this, linked them to this thread though. Thanks everyone for the help on this 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/18 00:43:28 (permalink)
    AusFuzzy
    Never actually RMAed anything so don't really know the process but it seems like I need a Tech Support ticket number to start one. Good thing I got contacted by someone about 10 minutes ago, so now gotta get through this, linked them to this thread though. Thanks everyone for the help on this 

UnReal-4-Life
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 353
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Issues with random shut downs. Need help. 2014/12/18 14:59:29 (permalink)
    Interesting same exact pproblems I was having to but i came up with a MB conclusion and about tpo RMA that now. Imm am not so sure any more .becuse you discribed same tine frame i was having the same issue this is too weird.It has to be a bug of some kind.I used 3 diff psus and now i wonder I almost think it is with the SLI or not Im concerned very much now. I never had an issue like this same time frame and same issues . I hope its not a memory bug ether.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile