Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
drevin619
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/25 19:38:46 (permalink)
I just upgraded by video card from a gtx 760 to a 1070 ftw. The card is brand new. I installed all the new drivers after i installed the card. My computer works fine while I browse the internet and watch youtube/netflix, but as soon as i launch a game the entire PC will restart. I can get about 4 minutes into the game before the restart happens. When it does happen it's like a power flick, the whole PC will lose power for a split second and immediately start to boot back up. The same issue happens when I would run the Unigine Valley benchmark.

I tried changing the settings in the card to bring them down as low as they could go, but to no avail, no changes. I then changed the FPS setting to only a maximum of 60 FPS. This worked for about 30 minutes and then the same thing started happening again.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Other PC Specs:
Windows 10
Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

47 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/25 19:55:09 (permalink)
    Sounds like the power supply can't handle the load.

What's the make, model, and age of your power supply?
    drevin619
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/25 20:07:08 (permalink)
    It's a LEPA G750-MAS 80+ Gold, 3 years old.

I had the same thought and tested the voltage, but it's still reading 12V. 750 Watts should be plenty to power everything, maybe the capacity isn't 750 watts anymore?
    landerx74
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/25 20:39:29 (permalink)
    drevin619
    I just upgraded by video card from a gtx 760 to a 1070 ftw. The card is brand new. I installed all the new drivers after i installed the card. My computer works fine while I browse the internet and watch youtube/netflix, but as soon as i launch a game the entire PC will restart. I can get about 4 minutes into the game before the restart happens. When it does happen it's like a power flick, the whole PC will lose power for a split second and immediately start to boot back up. The same issue happens when I would run the Unigine Valley benchmark.

I tried changing the settings in the card to bring them down as low as they could go, but to no avail, no changes. I then changed the FPS setting to only a maximum of 60 FPS. This worked for about 30 minutes and then the same thing started happening again.

Other PC Specs:
    Windows 10
    Gigabyte Z87-HD3

Its not your power supply. It is simple..Almost all of the FTW (Fail to Win) cards have factory overclocks that are not stable. Test this by removing the factory overclock by putting your Nvidia profile into debug mode - it is in the help section.  If it works ok that means you have a defective card.
    drevin619
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 04:20:32 (permalink)
    landerx74
    drevin619

Other PC Specs:
    Windows 10
    Gigabyte Z87-HD3

Its not your power supply. It is simple..Almost all of the FTW (Fail to Win) cards have factory overclocks that are not stable. Test this by removing the factory overclock by putting your Nvidia profile into debug mode - it is in the help section.  If it works ok that means you have a defective card.

I'll have to try that when I get home tonight. If it does end up being the overclock is there anything else I can do other than send it back and get a new card?
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1788
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 04:52:39 (permalink)
    drevin619

I'll have to try that when I get home tonight. If it does end up being the overclock is there anything else I can do other than send it back and get a new card?

Aside from always leaving it Debug mode... no.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 05:36:18 (permalink)
    I have a FTW card and it has not been a problem ever since I installed it
    I have abundant power so I do not worry about it
    I recommend setting the power slider in MSI Afterburner to +20% or more as cards need it

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 05:47:07 (permalink)
    landerx74
    drevin619

Other PC Specs:
    Windows 10
    Gigabyte Z87-HD3

From 20 years of personal experience and from nearly a decade of helping folks troubleshoot: you're wrong.

99.99% of the time when a computer shuts down/restarts suddenly while under load, and no BSOD just straight up power loss, the power supply is the culprit.

OP, try reseating the power cables going in to the GPU, and reseat the power cables going in to the motherboard.

If the problem persists, test with a different power supply or in a different computer to see if the problem follows. If it doesnt, your power supply is going bad and you'll need to replace it before it damages your components.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/08/26 05:51:47
    drevin619
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 06:04:20 (permalink)
    arestavo
    From 20 years of personal experience and from nearly a decade of helping folks troubleshoot: you're wrong.

99.99% of the time when a computer shuts down/restarts suddenly while under load, and no BSOD just straight up power loss, the power supply is the culprit.

OP, try reseating the power cables going in to the GPU, and reseat the power cables going in to the motherboard.

If the problem persists, test with a different power supply or in a different computer to see if the problem follows. If it doesnt, your power supply is going bad and you'll need to replace it before it damages your components.

I already tried reseating the power cables. I'll have to find another PC or another power supply to test to make sure it is the power supply.
    Salem13
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 06:28:31 (permalink)
    landerx74
    drevin619

Other PC Specs:
    Windows 10
    Gigabyte Z87-HD3

Got any proof to that load of poop?

What you're saying is EVGA made a non reference card and all of them suck.

Because if true my FTW DT should be a fail to win double trouble.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 06:50:22 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums drevin619

Sounds like a flaky PSU - overload tripping

You need to triple check that you did not bump something during the GPU change: 8-pin for the CPU ?

Some power cord clips fit very tight, you have to make sure they are full seated.

GPU in PCIe slot - full seated, locked - and not sagging, held with a screw is best even if your case is tool-less

OP your 760 should draw more AMPs than the 1070 FTW

Does the PC have the same issue with the old card under heave loads ?

Did you use DDU after removing all GPU OC software ?

OC software like MSI AB or Precision X, should be uninstalled first, then DDU drivers, then reinstall OC software - for best stability

I run DDU, and custom install the EVGA / Nvidia drivers --- Only selecting PhysX and the actual GPU driver, none of the other "stuff" and select clean install. ( I do NOT load GeForce Experience software, Nvidia 3D drivers, Nvidia Sound )
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/26 06:54:45

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

landerx74
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 06:56:42 (permalink)
    Salem13
    landerx74
    drevin619

Other PC Specs:
    Windows 10
    Gigabyte Z87-HD3

Think about it for a moment..you paid bucko bucks to buy a top end graphics card with the name "Down Tuned" in the title. What does this tell you? Well first it tell me that people are crazy. haha. But more than that it tells me that EVGA made the wrong decision when they found that the majority of the FTW cards were failing. Instead of saying "Let's work the problem people and find out what the heck is wrong before we release this card" some bright new hot shot sales person said "I don't see a problem I see an opportunity!" "Let's take all of these failed FTW cards and rename them FTW DT and sell them"  Problem solved?  Ugh..no! Now you have a ton of people with regular FTW cards that are useless...but you are selling these FTW DT's now more because of it. Good job hot shot sales person! hahaha!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 06:56:43 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

+1

GTX 760 uses 170w at default settings. GTX 1070 uses 150w at default settings. If the 760 doesn't cause a reboot under load while the 1070 does the 1070 is faulty.
    drevin619
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 07:09:38 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

You need to triple check that you did not bump something during the GPU change: 8-pin for the CPU ?

Some power cord clips fit very tight, you have to make sure they are full seated.

GPU in PCIe slot - full seated, locked - and not sagging, held with a screw is best even if your case is tool-less

OC software like MSI AB or Precision X, should be uninstalled first, then  drivers, then reinstall OC software - for best stability

I run DDU, and custom install the EVGA / Nvidia drivers --- Only selecting PhysX and the actual GPU driver, none of the other "stuff" and select clean install. ( I do NOT load GeForce Experience software, Nvidia 3D drivers, Nvidia Sound )

I did not use DDU, I can try removing everything again and then using DDU.

As for the wattage differences between the cards, where do you see that the 1070 FTW has less than the 760? I know the 760 only uses 170 watts, but from the product page on EVGA it says that the 1070 FTW uses 215 watts.

post edited by drevin619 - 2016/08/26 07:15:03
    Salem13
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 07:17:14 (permalink)
    drevin619
    Cool GTX

OC software like MSI AB or Precision X, should be uninstalled first, then  drivers, then reinstall OC software - for best stability

As for the wattage differences between the cards, where do you see that the 1070 FTW has less than the 760? I know the 760 only uses 170 watts, but from the product page on EVGA it says that the 1070 FTW uses 215 watts.

Source:

You are correct, the FTW (215) has a higher max draw than the SC(170), Gaming  and Founders (150) editions.

Also, the 760 only uses one 6pin where the 1070 uses 2 2+6pin connectors so obviously the draws are different beyond just wattage.
    drevin619
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 07:32:19 (permalink)
    Salem13
    drevin619
    Cool GTX

Source:

You are correct, the FTW (215) has a higher max draw than the SC(170), Gaming  and Founders (150) editions.

Also, the 760 only uses one 6pin where the 1070 uses 2 2+6pin connectors so obviously the draws are different beyond just wattage.

Well actually the 760 I was using was an MSI (V284-087R) and it did have two 6pin connectors I know its still different, but it's also different than just one 6 pin connector.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 07:57:57 (permalink)
    760 = PSU recommended to have 30 Amps on +12V (I looked on EVGA site for PSU required - did not know it was different brand)

1070 is lower total Amps  (215W / 12V = 18 Amps Max)

Alternate tests

- Move new GPU to different PC

Install a new PSU - I like the EVGA 1000W G2 for medium loads
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/26 08:01:13

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 08:00:05 (permalink)
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications

The 1070 FTW uses 150w @ 100% power target (default setting). It only uses 215w @ 122% power target.
    drevin619
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 08:25:45 (permalink)
    Sajin

The 1070 FTW uses 150w @ 100% power target (default setting). It only uses 215w @ 122% power target.

A ok I see what you're getting at now, took me a minute haha. I'll run the card in debug mode and try putting it in a different PC to confirm its the card.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 08:33:27 (permalink)
    That is the best test - move one of the parts to a know good PC

Salem13
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 08:34:36 (permalink)
    Sajin

I was going by EVGA's listing for the different cards.

• EVGA GTX 1070 Graphics Card Part NumberBase //
    • 17972Hybrid8+8-Pin10+2 215W Great Yes 08G-P4-62761607 /
    • 17972ACX 3.08+8-Pin10+2 215W Great Yes 08G-P4-62741506 /
    • 16832ACX 3.08+8-Pin10+2 215W Great Yes 08G-P4-61731594 /
    • 17841ACX 3.08-Pin4+1 170W Better Yes 08G-P4-51731594 /
    • 17841ACX 3.08-Pin4+1 170W Better No 08G-P4-61711506 /
    • 16831ACX 3.08-Pin4+1 150W Good Yes 08G-P4-61701506 /
    post edited by Salem13 - 2016/08/26 08:36:56
    Salem13
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 09:26:07 (permalink)
    landerx74
    Salem13
    landerx74
    drevin619

Other PC Specs:
    Windows 10
    Gigabyte Z87-HD3

Think about it for a moment..you paid bucko bucks to buy a top end graphics card with the name "Down Tuned" in the title. What does this tell you? Well first it tell me that people are crazy. haha. But more than that it tells me that EVGA made the wrong decision when they found that the majority of the FTW cards were failing. Instead of saying "Let's work the problem people and find out what the heck is wrong before we release this card" some bright new hot shot sales person said "I don't see a problem I see an opportunity!" "Let's take all of these failed FTW cards and rename them FTW DT and sell them"  Problem solved?  Ugh..no! Now you have a ton of people with regular FTW cards that are useless...but you are selling these FTW DT's now more because of it. Good job hot shot sales person! hahaha!

The majority of FTW cards are failing? I had not heard.

I must have got very lucky then, my DT overclocks to 2050 core rock solid.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 09:27:56 (permalink)
    Seems like someone is fishing.........

Adger
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 09:46:18 (permalink)
    This rubbish has been spouted on a couple of threads now..like I said I can understand Landerx74,s frustration but to post that only 3 in 10 cards work is nonsense..here's a reply I put from another thread...."I personnally think the 1 in 10 chance is a bit OTT,i totally understand that Landerx74 must be absolutely cheesed off with his experiences,i certainly would be but..
    If this was a major issue then this and other forums would be in meltdown and EVGA would HAVE to recall the cards. Im also a member on the ocuk forums and i have,nt (to my Knowledge) seen anybody report this issue. Not for one minute am i saying it does,nt exist just not to the extent that Lander says. In a earlier post he quotes "So out of a hundred cards manufactured they took a sample of 10 cards to test for overclocking stability. So 7 out of these 10 cards failed". I dont believe that for one moment,what so only 30 out of 100 FTW cards work properly? like i said if that was the case ALL forums (Scan,Ocuk,EVGA,Overclockers) and others would be in meltdown and EVGA would have to respond. TBH though guys id like to see a EVGA rep on here to explain these possible issues with some FTW 1080,s.

I sincerely hope that all of you that have had to RMA get a great card this time round "

Like I've said I've checked OCUK. ..I haven't seen any issues of this apparent magnitude ,if it was a big problem with EVGA cards then all hardware and gaming forums would be in meltdown. I do believe that some people are having issues I really do but nowhere near the extent that Lander seems to believe.
    Have a great day guys

My Affiliate Code: 0AXK9S2R5X

My 1st EVGA product..it certainly wont be my last

Adger
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 09:49:24 (permalink)
    Just a quick note guys..I'm no EVGA fanboy,this is in fact my 1st card by them and yes it's a FTW,I have a very very minor issue with whine but I'm really very happy with my card.
    post edited by Adger - 2016/08/26 09:51:54

My Affiliate Code: 0AXK9S2R5X

My 1st EVGA product..it certainly wont be my last

ksgnow2010
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 466
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 10:02:01 (permalink)
    I am an EVGA fan-boy...I have owned many of their products of the years...I own a 1080 FTW (For The Win) and it's awesome.  Their products are sound.  They back up their marketing gusto with the best warranty and customer service I have ever seen.  I am on my fifth Infiniti vehicle for the same reason.  This is why I am a fan boy.

While the 1070 and 760 may be close to the same RMS power draw, the power spikes the new graphics card can draw are much higher.  This is why your overclock is more stable when you increase the power limit, even though the RMS power is still around 100% or so.  (Slap an oscilloscope probe on it first before you negatively comment please.)

It sounds like a flaky power supply, or maybe the motherboard PCI slot is having issues (the graphics card draws power from the PCI slot as well as the external power connections.)

I have never heard of a LEPA power supply before.  My philosophy with power supplies is to get a name brand unit, not the cheapest.  You don't need the 1000W referenced above...look at an EVGA Super Nova series.  I run the 850W gold version in two of my PCs and they are great.

landerx74
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 11:04:55 (permalink)
    ksgnow2010
    I am an EVGA fan-boy...I have owned many of their products of the years...I own a 1080 FTW (For The Win) and it's awesome.  Their products are sound.  They back up their marketing gusto with the best warranty and customer service I have ever seen.  I am on my fifth Infiniti vehicle for the same reason.  This is why I am a fan boy.

While the 1070 and 760 may be close to the same RMS power draw, the power spikes the new graphics card can draw are much higher.  This is why your overclock is more stable when you increase the power limit, even though the RMS power is still around 100% or so.  (Slap an oscilloscope probe on it first before you negatively comment please.)

It sounds like a flaky power supply, or maybe the motherboard PCI slot is having issues (the graphics card draws power from the PCI slot as well as the external power connections.)

I have never heard of a LEPA power supply before.  My philosophy with power supplies is to get a name brand unit, not the cheapest.  You don't need the 1000W referenced above...look at an EVGA Super Nova series.  I run the 850W gold version in two of my PCs and they are great.

Okay if I had a flaky power supply then how do you explain the FTW GTX 1080 black screening but I still hear sound? And then the fans go up all of a sudden at the same time to 100% this all points to an unstable Factory overclock.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 11:13:04 (permalink)
    landerx74
    ksgnow2010

Okay if I had a flaky power supply then how do you explain the FTW GTX 1080 black screening but I still hear sound? And then the fans go up all of a sudden at the same time to 100% this all points to an unstable Factory overclock.

The OP has power interruption with their 1070 FTW = flaky PSU probably

Please start your own post / thread - do not hijack someones

Make sure you list your system specs, OC, OC software, Monitor and type of video cable -- the forum volunteer members are happy to help everyone
    (edit typo)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/26 11:28:01

ksgnow2010
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 466
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 11:22:10 (permalink)
    What he said!

But, a power supply blip will cause various watchdog circuits to kick and reset chips throughout the PC...these are the same circuits that kick in when you first power up the PC.  Each watchdog circuit has a different timing on it...if they don't hit their times...they don't reset.  If some circuits reset and others don't - you have chaos.
    drevin619
    Re: Issue with 1070 FTW Restarting Computer 2016/08/26 13:35:23 (permalink)
    I tried debug mode, same thing still happened. I'm 99.99% sure its the power supply now. Unfortunately I don't have a PSU I can use to test this theory or another PC to just throw the card into and test it that way either. I'll have to wait until Monday when the one PC store in town gets one in to test it out.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile