AnsweredIs my GTX 770 faulty?

Author
Mecte
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/02/20 05:39:24 (permalink)
Hi there,

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I want to be thorough.

About two months ago I purchased an entirely new system with the following specs:

Intel Core i7 4770K
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Dual SC ACX 2GB
8GB G.Skill DDR3-2400
Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
Seasonic M12II EVO 750W

Running Windows 8.1 x64, fully updated.

From the very start the video card seemed to be acting up a little. The video card driver would randomly crash when I was running Logitech's software. I looked up this behaviour and it seemed like a pretty common problem. I decided to disable Logitech's crapware and the problem went away for a little. Unfortunately, it didn't take long to resurface. It got worse, too. Where in the past only the video card driver would crash and then recover, I was now beginning to experience system crashes in increasing frequency. This is what the screen looks like when one of these crashes occurs:

Not a great look.

I was observing the task manager and noticed EVGA Precision's CPU usage spiked just before one of these crashes occurred. I looked up this behaviour as well, and apparently it's not unheard of for Precision to cause system instability. I got rid of that as well. Sadly, to no avail. I kept observing my system and started using GPU-Z to monitor the video card. Nothing was out of the ordinary at any point in time but I did notice that, like Precision, GPU-Z would get a CPU usage spike just prior to a crash. It started to look like software that monitors my GPU was crashing my system for some reason. I got rid of GPU-Z. This, again, solved nothing. At this point I couldn't keep the computer stable for more than an hour. 

A very weird thing that had been happening over the course of a couple of weeks was that when the system had crashed, games that used to run at 60+ FPS had suddenly slowed to a crawl. Assassin's Creed 4 and even an older game like Just Cause 2 turned into a laggy, unplayable mess that maxed out at about 10 FPS. The solution to this is to uninstall the drivers entirely (I used Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstall a set of fresh drivers. Needless to say, I've done this a LOT of times now, considering the amount of crashes I'm getting. I've tried a whole bunch of different drivers, including older ones, current ones and betas. Nothing worked, including the latest NVIDIA driver that came out two days ago.

To gain some more insight I decided to check my Event Viewer and found out it's absolutely loaded with nvlddmkm errors (2767 at the time of writing). A new one pops up every other minute or so. Sometimes they're a couple of minutes apart and sometimes there are multiple in the timespan of ten seconds. Now obviously they don't all crash my computer, but I've paid some attention and when the system does crash, it's always exactly at the same time one of these errors pops up.

So at this point I'm rather lost. I can't determine whether it's a problem with the card or if it's a software issue. Temperatures are not the issue, nor is it instability due to excessive load because, funnily enough, this has only once happened during a game. The game in question is a light indie game that wouldn't even use 20% of my GPU's power if it tried. Demanding games like Assassin's Creed 4 have no problems whatsoever.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong here? Should I just RMA this card?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post edited by Mecte - 2014/02/20 06:49:08
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10053
  • Ribbons : 165
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 06:34:00 (permalink)
Welcome to the EVGA forums

The very first thing I would do, is disconnect that extra monitor.
For testing--> use just one monitor

What is the screen resolution of the "large" monitor in your screenshot?
Have you made -any- changes from defaults in the NVCP (Nvidia control panel)?

You posted that you "purchased" this system... not "built". Is that correct? 

Use of "uninstallers" for Nvidia drivers using Windows 8.1 is a huge mistake and is known to cause problems

Mecte
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 06:45:26 (permalink)
Thanks for your reply.

All right, I'll go ahead and disconnect the small monitor. Though I feel it's worth mentioning that I've only had a second screen for two weeks, and the problems were also present prior to that.

The large monitor has a resolution of 2560x1440 (Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM).

I have made only one change in NVCP, and that was changing the dynamic range in video colour settings from Limited (16-235) to Full (0-255). This was due to the fact that video files would have improper blacks which would appear as greys.

By "purchased" I meant I purchased the parts. It is in fact a custom build.

I was not aware that uninstallers for Nvidia drivers on Windows 8.1 were a problem. I'll stop using that method immediately. Do you happen to know why they cause problems (just out of curiosity)?
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 07:15:14 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Mecte 2014/02/24 07:34:30
The primary issue is due to Windows 8 behavior
Should Windows 8 (with default settings) boot without a Nvidia driver installed, Windows 8 will stealth auto install a WHQL (at defaults).
So your not really uninstalling anything, you just making a huge registry mess and a way less than perfect Driver install.

Currently the suggested method for Nvidia driver installs using Windows 7 and 8:

Manually download your driver of choice from Nvidia http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
And then use a Custom Mode install, with ALL Nvidia driver component entries UNCHECKED -except- for Graphics driver and PhysX.
Always--> put a checkmark in the box for "perform a clean install"
-->You must NOT install the Geforce Experience or any of the addon components
After the driver install is complete, reboot the system once (do NOT skip this reboot)

The above method perfectly uninstalls your previous Nvidia driver, and gives you a brand new Custom/Clean install 
---------------------------------------

*IMPORTANT
There is no telling how bad things are messed up (possibly broken) and what Nvidia components you have installed
-->so you have some extra steps to take BEFORE you perform the above steps

Go to the CONTROL PANEL
Then WINDOWS UPDATE
Hit Change settings (in the lefthand panel) and change how you receive Updates
use ONLY--> "Check for Updates, but let me choose to download and install them"
Hit the OK button to save the settings change
*this will allow you to VIEW any Windows updates -before- they are installed, and you can avoid drivers like Nvidia or Logitech

Next go to Programs and Features
Review the Nvidia driver entries
You MUST uninstall each Nvidia component entry one at a time (EXCEPT FOR THE "GRAPHICS DRIVER")
If a reboot is requested, do so and pick up where you left off in Programs and features
Once ALL Nvidia driver components are uninstalled--> (except for the Graphics driver)
THEN, follow the steps I posted above for a custom clean install and dont forget the reboot as noted

This will give you the best Nvidia install possible (without reinstalling Windows) with a default NVCP
Thats what you should test with. Make NO changes to the NVCP until testing is complete.

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 07:21:22 (permalink)
Extra note, your screenshots appear to show corrupted video memory
This "can" be caused by incorrect System RAM settings or issues

You posted that your using-->  8GB G.Skill DDR3-2400

You should review the -exact- factory timings and voltage for your system RAM (its on the sticker attached to each stick)
And then check in your BIOS that your settings--> MATCH exactly those numbers
Run your system RAM at its factory suggested DEFAULT timings and voltage for testing

Trelor
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 496
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 07:22:10 (permalink)
Just a quick question are you overclocked or have you overclocked the GPU.  Also was the GPU new when you got it or was it a refurb ?

Heatware: Trelor - I primarily use eBay which is attached to my heatware.
Mecte
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 08:06:16 (permalink)
All right, maniacvvv, I've followed your instructions to the letter so there should be a clean install on my system right now. However, when I did the reboot, Windows booted up in a really messed up state. Littered with lag spikes, my C drive was at 100% almost the entire time, GPU-Z reported a temperature of 44 degrees celsius (this card runs at 35 degrees when idle) but reported GPU usage of 0% and Windows also gave me the error tooltip saying the driver had crashed and recovered (though this "recovery" had no impact whatsoever). I rebooted a second time and it appears to be running as normal right now. I don't know what this meant but I don't reckon it's a good sign.

maniacvvv
Extra note, your screenshots appear to show corrupted video memory
This "can" be caused by incorrect System RAM settings or issues

You posted that your using-->  8GB G.Skill DDR3-2400

You should review the -exact- factory timings and voltage for your system RAM (its on the sticker attached to each stick)
And then check in your BIOS that your settings--> MATCH exactly those numbers
Run your system RAM at its factory suggested DEFAULT timings and voltage for testing

There was a little thing with my RAM. It was detected as DDR3-1600 instead of 2400, the timings were off and voltage was too low. I thoroughly checked my RAM and the box the sticks came in and everything explicitly states it is in fact DDR3-2400 that's supposed to be running at a higher voltage. So I went into the BIOS and manually adjusted this so my memory settings now exactly match their specifications.

Trelor
Just a quick question are you overclocked or have you overclocked the GPU.  Also was the GPU new when you got it or was it a refurb ?

I have not manually overclocked the card (or my CPU, for that matter). The only increase in clock speeds came from EVGA themselves (it's one of those Superclocked cards).

post edited by Mecte - 2014/02/20 08:25:41
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 08:28:02 (permalink)
What type of hard drive is your primary (make/model) and how full is it?

For your RAM, were these brand new sticks in factory sealed package?
Please post the rated specs for the RAM (voltage and timings) the exact model number would be great

You really need to do a full description of ALL devices connected to your computer or extra addons
Mouse, keyboard, USB devices/hubs external drives, sound device, usb sticks, webcam.... everything

You also need to describe -exactly- what software (non windows) or updates to anything you might have done...
Something as simple as installing or updating third party software could cause a problem

Question: what Win 8 version did you install? is this the full version or upgrade?
Please describe what media was used and how you installed it
post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/02/20 08:34:27

Mecte
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 09:02:12 (permalink)
My primary HD is a Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM. I'm only using about 800GB out of the 1.81TB it has, so it's not even half-full.

The RAM was factory sealed, yes. All the information on the sticks themselves corresponds with the information on the package. The timings are 11-13-13-31 at a voltage of 1.65v.

Here's a description of everything I have in my computer:

CPU: i7 4770K at stock speeds
GPU: GTX 770 2GB Superclocked at stock speeds
RAM: G.Skill PC3-19200 DDR3-2400 2x4GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 750W
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Hard drives: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM (Primary)
                  Samsung HD103SJ 1TB 7200RPM
                  Samsung HD753LJ 750GB 5400RPM
                  Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB 5400RPM
                  Western Digital WD10EADS-00P8B0 1TB 5400RPM
Optical drive: LiteOn iHAS124B
Audio: Lexicon Alpha (USB)

Other USB devices:

Xbox 360 wired controller
M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI keyboard
ABN Amro e.dentifier 2
Logitech G11 keyboard
Logitech G700s mouse

I believe that's all of it.

What do you mean by what updates and software I have done? Do I need to make a list of all the applications I have installed and all my Windows updates or something?

Edit: Whoops, didn't see your edit there.

I installed Windows using an image off MSDN (full version), burned that on DVD and installed it. No weird practices or anything. The same way I've been installing Windows for ten years now.
post edited by Mecte - 2014/02/20 09:17:50
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/20 15:38:27 (permalink)

You sir are a magician! and deserve alot of credit for getting all that to the Win 8 desktop working
OMG at your connected device list. I would not have thought it possible with all those USB devices...  

I'm just going to tell you that Windows 7 would be a much better choice given what you do with your computer.
--------------------------------------------

Disconnect the following from your computer:

Xbox 360 wired controller
Lexicon Alpha
M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI keyboard
ABN Amro e.dentifier 2

Now test without the above connected.

The Xbox controller is KNOWN to "sometimes" have serious issues/conflicts and to cause Direct X/videocard problems

As for your audio device and MIDI keyboard, I have no idea what issues could be present in Win 8
I do know they could be problematic in Win 7,,,,

As for your creditcard reader device...
*IMPORTANT
This type of device uses -very- special drivers (USB and LAN) and reserved encrypted memory.
That makes it a -possible- source of issues such as you are reporting

You already know about the Logitech software/firmware problems and Windows 8

*if after testing (with all the stuff listed disconnected) the problem is fixed...
Then--> ONE DEVICE AT A TIME
Hook up one device, and test with just that to see if it causes problems
If you dont crash after testing, move on and connect ONE more and test again....
You will possibly find which device (or combo) causes problems 

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/02/20 15:49:21

Mecte
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/21 03:11:32 (permalink)
Eh? Connecting six devices is a lot? I've never heard of that and I've had a lot more stuff connected on other systems in the past.

Anyway, seeing as I work with sound, I can't disconnect the Lexicon Alpha. Besides, I've only had that device for a week, long after these problems started. I've disconnected the rest.

All right, so something very weird happened this morning. I just got out of bed and was getting ready for a meeting when my computer started...screaming. It was a whiny noise. Not very high-pitched. But very loud. I don't sleep in the same room but I'm certain it would have woken me up if it had happened in the night. I was in a hurry so I couldn't investigate it further but it was definitely coming from inside the case. The computer functioned as normal during this occurrence. I had no choice but to just shut down the system and head for work. I just got back, turned on my machine and it's gone. I've heard of coil whine, but it seemed like it was way too loud for that. Also much lower in pitch. I guess it could have come from the motherboard speaker but I have no idea why it would suddenly start spouting a bunch of racket. It definitely wasn't a fan either. I've heard that sound. This was nothing like it. Besides, all the fans are brand new and there are no cables near that could be touching them.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/21 04:57:38 (permalink)
Mecte
Eh? Connecting six devices is a lot? I've never heard of that and I've had a lot more stuff connected on other systems in the past.

Anyway, seeing as I work with sound, I can't disconnect the Lexicon Alpha. Besides, I've only had that device for a week, long after these problems started. I've disconnected the rest.

All right, so something very weird happened this morning. I just got out of bed and was getting ready for a meeting when my computer started...screaming. It was a whiny noise. Not very high-pitched. But very loud. I don't sleep in the same room but I'm certain it would have woken me up if it had happened in the night. I was in a hurry so I couldn't investigate it further but it was definitely coming from inside the case. The computer functioned as normal during this occurrence. I had no choice but to just shut down the system and head for work. I just got back, turned on my machine and it's gone. I've heard of coil whine, but it seemed like it was way too loud for that. Also much lower in pitch. I guess it could have come from the motherboard speaker but I have no idea why it would suddenly start spouting a bunch of racket. It definitely wasn't a fan either. I've heard that sound. This was nothing like it. Besides, all the fans are brand new and there are no cables near that could be touching them.

Could it have been one of HDD's crunching away?!?! Windows updates, if on auto update, is famous for looking for updates constantly and annoyingly which will make your drive ramp up or the pageing file is swapping like crazy maybe. From what your saying and have experienced in the past, the only other thing I can think of would be psu emi acoustic hum which is hard to tame yourself without destroying your warranty. You can try another psu and see if anything changes or try enabling some of the spread spectrum settings in the bios.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Mecte
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/21 05:13:03 (permalink)
Well the sound is gone now and it hasn't come back (yet). I'll make a recording if it presents itself again. I don't think it could have been a hard drive. It was too loud for that and it was more whiny than the typical crunches you hear coming from a hard drive (besides, a hard drive making so much noise and still working just fine afterwards? I doubt it). I suppose it could have been the PSU. I really don't know. All I know is that it filled the room and didn't sound anything like your usual coil whine.

On another note: The nvlddmkm errors in my event viewer have stopped, so there's at least something good that's happened. I hope it's due to the clean driver install and not because I disconnected my second monitor (I'd like to reconnect that).
post edited by Mecte - 2014/02/21 06:32:25
Mecte
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/24 07:42:12 (permalink)
All right, I've been running the system in a completely stable state for three days now. The solution for a clean install by maniacvvv took care of the driver problems. I'm getting no new errors in the event viewer.

Additionally, I did some more research into memory clocking and whatnot, and it turns out manually clocking up the memory was a huge mistake. Intel-based motherboards clock memory down to 1600MHz for a reason: In order to have it run at 1.5v. My sticks were at 1.65v, which is known not to play nice with Intel CPUs, can cause instability and even shorten the CPU's lifespan. I've gone back to the motherboard's default configuration for my memory and have had zero problems since I did that three days ago.

Thanks for the help, everyone. It's very much appreciated. I reckon it would have taken me a lot longer to fix this without your insights, and I would probably have ended up RMA'ing a perfectly fine video card.

The loud sound I heard will remain a mystery, I'm afraid.
post edited by Mecte - 2014/02/24 07:45:46
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is my GTX 770 faulty? 2014/02/24 07:58:52 (permalink)
Thats the best news possible! Glad it's working now

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile