EVGA

Locked[Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 180
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/24 15:06:26 (permalink)
Hello,

Let's have a talk about light for a moment.
I made a thread about f.lux and a majority of people seemed to like it, I'd like people to be aware of that thread, but I won't discuss it here.  This one is about ... uh, the amount of light around you at night.

Most light switches do two things, and there isn't any choice -- you can think about it however you want, but aren't you glad your radio has a volume control?  How about this - are you glad your monitor has a brightness control, why not your lights?

I want to know, if you don't already have a light dimmer in a wall, or they even make extremely easy to use plug in lamp dimmers that you literally plug into the wall, and it has a slider to dim the lights -- why don't you have one?  (the plug in one's are $10 or less on amazon, you can even get a $14 one that supports 600 watts of Incandescents)  I can actually dim 6 watt Cree LED bulbs with the dimmer I got, and it's not even rated for LED, so that's an added bonus, but the LED bulb just doesn't look very good, it needs more glazing, and the quality of the LEDs needs to improve.

It's not rocket science, the less light your exposed to at night, the easier you'll sleep.
So, if you don't already have plug in lamp dimmers, or wall switch dimmers - why not?

post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/07/24 15:17:18

If you use a computer at night, check out f.lux
Research: https://justgetflux.com/research.html
Download: https://www.justgetflux.com/
This reduces how blue (6500k) the screen is and looks better once you get used to it - the getting used to may take up to a week!
  Your screen will be "more orange" at night but it's for the best. In about 20 minutes your eyes won't even notice.  A white paper should match your screen, maybe play with the monitor settings to get it closer.

34 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/07/24 15:19:29 (permalink)
    Why not?
    Aren't the dimmers a fire hazard depending on which bulbs you put on the circuit? I heard that some apartments had to remove dimmers due to new fire codes in the area I live.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/07/24 15:22:44 (permalink)
    Hmmm, uh I wouldn't think they'd be a fire hazard...

I'm sure things have improved, and Lutron seems to be like top dog in the dimming market, I think now most dimmers have metal around them inside the wall box to help with heat.

Plug in lamp dimmers seem really safe though, just don't overload the wattage - mine is 300 watts, but eventually I want to go overboard and dim down 600 watts worth of like 60 or 40 watt bulbs, that'll be the day...

This reduces how blue (6500k) the screen is and looks better once you get used to it - the getting used to may take up to a week!
      Your screen will be "more orange" at night but it's for the best. In about 20 minutes your eyes won't even notice.  A white paper should match your screen, maybe play with the monitor settings to get it closer.

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/07/24 18:38:28 (permalink)
    Are the LEDs you want to dim rated as dimmable LEDs?
    In the world of Lutron you need special parts to make LEDs dim correctly.

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/07/25 05:55:54 (permalink)
    No I don't think Cree bulbs are listed as dim able nor the dimmer. On even full brightness the LEDs look very ugly and uneven, in fact if I can get a good picture of what I see I'll upload them here because they are not color consistent.

I even emailed the company and they did not seem to believe me, guess I should have given pictures.
    It's the 6.5 (40w) equivelant.

They actually dim quite well, turn down around 55% mark and get very dim until turning off around the 10% area! Very impressed with that.

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 11:37:56 (permalink)
    Really people don't use light dimmers? They're so useful to help you go to sleep and relax

Holo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3328
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 12:15:34 (permalink)
    If I sleep the light is off...if I need to relax computer is off. Also what is it with you and posting about light? This is a PC hardware forum, not a DIY lightning infrastructure.

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 12:41:00 (permalink)
    I feel that light is very important - yes this is an EVGA related forum, but it's very important to get lots of bright light during the day (best from the sun) and dim down your lights, or leave them off if you have windows,  when it starts to get dark.

I just think it's a good idea to keep people aware of this, so that in the future nobody forgets it, and we'll stay healthy and have good sleep habits, while enjoying our video games, not half-asleep, but fully alert and enjoying them to the best of our ability because we aren't always tired!
    If I come up with some more reasons I'll post but that was actually right off the top of my head haha!

Edit - I'd like to expand here.  Let's say you're eating dinner around 5, 6, or 7 PM.  You don't want a really bright light at 7 PM because it will keep you awake..., you want a dim yellow light to see, but not overly bright, so that it's like the dim sky outside, and not enough to tell your body it's getting brighter - but dimmer, and it's night time.  You get the idea!
    post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/27 12:46:28

Holo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 15:06:43 (permalink)
    Uhm...I sleep less than 5 hours a nite. And love bright lights, and love dark rooms all at once...

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 16:34:17 (permalink)
    Holo
    Uhm...I sleep less than 5 hours a nite. And love bright lights, and love dark rooms all at once...

It seems as your post is from that of a troll -- I'll try my BEST not to feed you because I bet It's a horrible cycle for you -- but are you serious?  You only sleep 5 hours, that's really bad if you keep it up, I have no idea what would happen, but I know I couldn't live like that at all.

See my signature below, try it, and hopefully that will get you more sleepy.
    If you really do use bright lights at night well, there's not much I can do there to help but tell you to just turn them off or dim them VERY VERY low if possible.

You could get some red light bulbs as well, look on amazon, and DO NOT get the CFL versions, the color spectrum will be absolutely horrid
    http://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-16555-25-Watt-Light/dp/B0030EJFTK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409169450&sr=8-3&keywords=25+watt+incandescent+red

You could also try getting some UVEX blue blocker glasses, and the one's from honeywell seem like a good choice because they are very adjustable according to the reviewers, here's the search page
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blue+blocking+glasses
    I have the ultra spec all orange version, but they are NOT adjustable, and one size does not fit all.

post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/27 16:40:19

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 17:38:02 (permalink)
    Holo

It seems as your post is from that of a troll -- I'll try my BEST not to feed you because I bet It's a horrible cycle for you -- but are you serious?  You only sleep 5 hours, that's really bad if you keep it up, I have no idea what would happen, but I know I couldn't live like that at all.

If you really do use bright lights at night well, there's not much I can do there to help but tell you to just turn them off or dim them VERY VERY low if possible.

You could get some red light bulbs as well, look on amazon, and DO NOT get the CFL versions, the color spectrum will be absolutely horrid
    http://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-16555-25-Watt-Light/dp/B0030EJFTK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409169450&sr=8-3&keywords=25+watt+incandescent+red

You could also try getting some UVEX blue blocker glasses, and the one's from honeywell seem like a good choice because they are very adjustable according to the reviewers, here's the search page
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blue+blocking+glasses
    I have the ultra spec all orange version, but they are NOT adjustable, and one size does not fit all.

I use a small led nightlight. Much more efficient than using dimmers. Problem solved.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 18:38:57 (permalink)

I use a small led nightlight. Much more efficient than using dimmers. Problem solved.

OK we both know they're not very bright, but I really would like to know what color the LED is -- just because it's dim or small does NOT make it good for sleep.

If you say it's "white" - then it's a blue LED coated w/ yellow or some other color and still have an enormous amount of blue in the color, which sucks.

If you can find one, get a "warm white" which is even still just a blue LED with a LOT more yellow phosphor to make it much yellower -- why they don't start with the warm green is beyond me.

Holo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 20:43:36 (permalink)
    Holo

I never said I enjoy bright monitors. I've utilized F.lux for the longest time

I've slept 5 hours a week ever since high school, now 5 years later, I'm still a full time student and worker and that's just what works. I genuinely fall asleep as soon as I hit the pillow but I'm never tired.

It isn't a troll post, if I am throughout the house, I enjoy bright lights everywhere as it feels that light fills up the house.

While I am at my computer I enjoy total darkness for the most part - with the luxury of backlit keyboards I don't need to squint while looking at the keyboard.

FYI lights don't make a difference, if I need sleep and I want to sleep, I can fall asleep in 5 min and usually do.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/27 22:43:16 (permalink)

OK we both know they're not very bright, but I really would like to know what color the LED is -- just because it's dim or small does NOT make it good for sleep.

If you say it's "white" - then it's a blue LED coated w/ yellow or some other color and still have an enormous amount of blue in the color, which sucks.

If you can find one, get a "warm white" which is even still just a blue LED with a LOT more yellow phosphor to make it much yellower -- why they don't start with the warm green is beyond me.

It's just bright enough to be able to see with. I'm quite well aware of how LED's are constructed. Do you have a girlfriend?
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2014/08/27 22:44:27

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/28 08:10:56 (permalink)
    "FYI lights don't make a difference, if I need sleep and I want to sleep, I can fall asleep in 5 min and usually do"

I don't think it's natural for you to fall asleep in 5 minutes, maybe it's not exactly 5 minutes but still, something doesn't seem right.  Do you take frequent naps, if so then you might be OK, but if you're awake almost all day, and sleep for 5 hours, and can fall asleep in 5 minutes.... something just seems a bit off. 

It's your choice, but if at all possible, if you don't get a lot of sunlight during the day (you probably do in between classes (or before and after a class, if you only have one 'in-class' class a day).  You must take naps, because I know there's just no way I could function on that little amount of sleep w/o one.
    post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/08/28 08:11:57

Holo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/28 08:19:52 (permalink)
    "FYI lights don't make a difference, if I need sleep and I want to sleep, I can fall asleep in 5 min and usually do"

I don't think it's natural for you to fall asleep in 5 minutes, maybe it's not exactly 5 minutes but still, something doesn't seem right.  Do you take frequent naps, if so then you might be OK, but if you're awake almost all day, and sleep for 5 hours, and can fall asleep in 5 minutes.... something just seems a bit off. 

It's your choice, but if at all possible, if you don't get a lot of sunlight during the day (you probably do in between classes (or before and after a class, if you only have one 'in-class' class a day).  You must take naps, because I know there's just no way I could function on that little amount of sleep w/o one.

I included naps in that 5 hour sleep schedule. Work from 7 to 4ish, nap from 4 to 6ish, up to 2-3AM up by 5-6AM.

But I do question Heavy's post in regards to a gf.

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/28 12:03:41 (permalink)

I included naps in that 5 hour sleep schedule. Work from 7 to 4ish, nap from 4 to 6ish, up to 2-3AM up by 5-6AM.

But I do question Heavy's post in regards to a gf.

Yes your naps are probably what makes your schedule possible.

No.

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/28 15:04:25 (permalink)
    Woah -- you INCLUDED naps in the 5 hours?

It may catch up with you in the future.

Do you sleep more on the weekends?

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/28 18:37:42 (permalink)
    i think by design led is not meant to be dimmable, they could use different led's inside the cover that rated at different outputs to give you a quazi 3 way bulb. by nature dimming produces heat not to mention the strain the ac/dc convertor in the bulb will take. unless they are rated for it i would not use the dimmer. 

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/29 18:45:56 (permalink)
    The main thing that aggravates me about dimmer LEDs is the FLICKER

Even a red speed limit sensor in the middle of the road (at night is when I saw it) flickers to hell and back and I can't read the damn thing until it's almost passed --- strongly due to the awful flickering.

The OLED screen on my fancy smartphone flickers when dimmed - new LED lit laptops flicker HORRIBLY to the point that I'd be the #1 reason that I'll NEVER purchase one.
    My Philips Hue bulbs also flicker -- not QUITE as badly but if I quickly move my eyes I can see it in the reflection from the lamp stand (it's a metal base).

LED flickering is VERY annoying and I can't (Edited out for foul language) stand it at all.  Can we please just figure out how to fix this AND have dimming features - or is that asking for too much? (not trying to be rude to the LED or LED experts / creators, but damn).
    post edited by XrayMan - 2014/09/12 22:43:06

stickywulf
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/30 00:52:00 (permalink)
    I have Cree bulbs and dimmer switches and had terrible flickering because the LED bulbs didn't draw enough power from the transformers.  Maybe you could check the minimum load requirement for your transformers?
    I simply reinstalled one of the old halogen globes into each circuit and the flickering went away.
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/30 06:02:20 (permalink)
    Yeah that's why I still use Incandescent bulbs, and they dim much further.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/30 10:02:51 (permalink)

Dimmers mess up your circadian rhythm and cause loss in IQ, along with flouride. You should remove and destroy all dimmers immediately. In fact you should go to your neighbors' houses and destroy all their dimmers too - you'd be doing them a huge favor, and they could thank you later when they realize they aren't as stupid any more. Also offer for them to drink your urine since the flouride would have been filtered out (refer OP's thread on flouride).

Dimmers and flouride. STRANGER DANGER!

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/30 10:07:44 (permalink)
    My Philips Hue bulbs also flicker -- not QUITE as badly but if I quickly move my eyes I can see it in the reflection from the lamp stand (it's a metal base).

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/08/31 12:55:04 (permalink)
    Nereus

Yeah EXACTLY - like the guy in the yellowish shirt.

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/09/04 14:28:29 (permalink)
    Nereus

Dimmers mess up your circadian rhythm and cause loss in IQ, along with flouride. You should remove and destroy all dimmers immediately. In fact you should go to your neighbors' houses and destroy all their dimmers too - you'd be doing them a huge favor, and they could thank you later when they realize they aren't as stupid any more. Also offer for them to drink your urine since the flouride would have been filtered out (refer OP's thread on flouride).

Troll / rude, or both.

Dimmers are amazing, and fluoride seems bad, that's life.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/09/04 17:17:45 (permalink)
    Nereus

Troll / rude, or both.

Dimmers are amazing, and fluoride seems bad, that's life.

Actually it was intended as humor.
    humor
    [hyoo-mer or, often, yoo-]
    an instance of being or attempting to be comical or amusing; something humorous :
    "The humor in his joke eluded the audience."

post edited by Nereus - 2014/09/04 17:20:07

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/09/06 08:09:58 (permalink)
    Nereus
    Nereus

"The humor in his joke eluded the audience."

That it did!

Also, do you use any light dimmers, or have any lights (LED) that dim remotely, like philips hue?
    post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/09/06 09:11:11

Superclocked Member
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/09/10 15:24:20 (permalink)
    I don't think we've discussed yet, why EVERYONE doesn't own a dimmer.

There's not ONE reason I can think of - NOT - to have at least one light dimmer, whether it be an extremely easy to use dimmer that literally plugs into any wall outlet and you attach a lamp like holiday light extensions.

Seriously, let me ask this, when you brush your teeth at night or do any of that, does the full brightness of the lights shock you at all when you turn it on?  I mean it IS INSTANT brightness....

With a dimmer, you could slowly turn a dial to EXACTLY how dim or bright you want the room, with a very smooth increase in brightness.

In fact if you want to get really fancy, which I guess none of you care to do judging by most of this thread, (you all didn't seem to be all about light dimmers) you could get the Lutron Maestro, which when you turn on your light, it can be set to fade in for (up to) 5 seconds.

That's pretty awesome, you can also just tap it one time, and it will do that, but it will go to whatever setting you have it preset to -- to get to full brightness just tap it twice.  It's really cool.  I don't have one though, it's a bit too fancy for me, although it seems really awesome.
    post edited by Timpster-GPU_Nvidia_660Ti - 2014/09/10 15:26:08

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: [Incandescent bulbs (or LED)] Does anyone use Dimmers / plug in lamp dimmers? 2014/09/10 17:37:45 (permalink)
    I don't think we've discussed yet, why EVERYONE doesn't own a dimmer.

There's not ONE reason I can think of - NOT - to have at least one light dimmer, whether it be an extremely easy to use dimmer that literally plugs into any wall outlet and you attach a lamp like holiday light extensions.

Seriously, let me ask this, when you brush your teeth at night or do any of that, does the full brightness of the lights shock you at all when you turn it on?  I mean it IS INSTANT brightness....

With a dimmer, you could slowly turn a dial to EXACTLY how dim or bright you want the room, with a very smooth increase in brightness.

In fact if you want to get really fancy, which I guess none of you care to do judging by most of this thread, (you all didn't seem to be all about light dimmers) you could get the Lutron Maestro, which when you turn on your light, it can be set to fade in for (up to) 5 seconds.

That's pretty awesome, you can also just tap it one time, and it will do that, but it will go to whatever setting you have it preset to -- to get to full brightness just tap it twice.  It's really cool.  I don't have one though, it's a bit too fancy for me, although it seems really awesome.

I prefer to be shocked. If the bright lights don't do it, looking in the mirror in the glare of a 100W mini supernova certainly will. Sometimes I'll set my alarm for the wee hours of the night and stumble through the dark recesses of my home until I reach the 100W zone, and then BAM!!! I let myself have it full force! Invigorating I tell ya!

..it's that humor thing again.. I can't help myself. I'm all about humor.. dimmers, not so much.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile