Help with new water cooling build.

Author
Rarshaiz
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/01/25 11:06:36 (permalink)
I am building a new system. I ordered the x99 classified and will use the i7-5820 which will set in the CaseLabs Mercury S8 Case .
So far I have made the following purchases But I have yet to find a pump and reservoir which is where I need the most help. That is unless the below items that I have purchased so far were not a good choice.

Ultimately I would like to water cool the whole system mobo parts and GPU which I have the EVGA GTX 770 4gb version but for now all I have is for the CPU cooling.

Item name/model #/qty purchased
Koolance LIQ-702 Liquid Coolant Bottle, High-Performance, 700mL (UV Red)     LIQ-702RD-B     3     
XSPC RayStorm Pro Black WaterBlock, Intel CPU, UV LEDs   
Radiator Mounting Screw & Nut, 38mm     BLT-HX038     3     
Koolance QD3 Female Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Compression for 13mm x 16mm (1/2in x 5/8in)     QD3-F13X16   2 
Koolance QD3 Male Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Male Threaded G 1/4 BSPP     QD3-MSG4     2
Koolance Radiator, 3x120mm Fans, 54mm Thick, 30-FPI Copper     HX-360XC     1     
XSPC-D5-PHOTON-170 Pump/Res     1   
Monsoon Silver Bullet Antimicrobial G1/4 Plug - Chrome     MON-PLUG-AG-CH     1
Reeven RFC-02 Six Eyes II Fan Controller - Black     RFC-02BK     1
Koolance Fan, 120x38mm (FAN-12038HBK) FAN-12038HBK     3
Corsair Air Series SP 140 LED Red High Static Pressure Fan Cooling       CO-9050024-WW     2
Corsair Air Series SP 120 LED Red High Static Pressure Fan Cooling (Twin Pack)      CO-9050029-WW    1
Bitspower Non-champher Crystal Link 16mm OD Tube Length 1000mm     BP-NCCLT16AC-L1000     8
Koolance Compression Fitting for OD 16mm (5/8in) Rigid Tubing *Black*, G 1/4 BSPP     FIT-V16RT-BK     10
Koolance Fitting Coupling Adapter, *Black* Female-Female    ADT-XFF-BK     4
Koolance QD3 Male Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Male Threaded G 1/4 BSPP *Black*     QD3-MSG4-BK      2
Koolance QD3 Female Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Male Threaded G 1/4 BSPP *Black*     QD3-FSG4-BK   2

post edited by Rarshaiz - 2016/02/03 05:10:57

22 Replies Related Threads

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/25 11:16:50 (permalink)
    Hello, and welcome to your next time consuming hobby!
    If you are using 1/2x5/8 I would really take the time to make sure your tubing is as straight as possible, that is thin wall tubing and long term it may kink where it bends.  Unfortunately, the coolant is very expensive by volume and doesn't really net you much of anything, but it won't hurt.
    For res and pump, I generally recommend D5 pumps, I have had some of them on 24/7 for years and never had an issue.  I use the B variant, as most of the time, adjusting the speed is not necessary and the B variant saves you 20$.  The other really good option there imho is the MCP50 by Swiftech, also an excellent pump.
    As for res, do you prefer a bay res, or a tube res that sits in the case somewhere?  For Bay res's I rather like the current gen XSPC bay res, use it myself.  MUCH easier to assemble and install than their previous, which I also have.  They work well, easy to fill and bleed.
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/25 11:20:11 (permalink)
    I was planning on a tube res I read to many complaints about bay reses leaking. I am not saying they all do but to me it looks like a tube is a better option and this case has the room to spare for display purposes.

As for tubing I was planing on using rigid tube down the road when I get the other water blocks bought/found/made. I have about $300 left to finish what I have off. Figured the pump/res would take most of it.
    post edited by Rarshaiz - 2016/01/25 11:23:06
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/25 13:26:49 (permalink)
    OK, well, I have only had one leak form a res that was not installer error, and it was on a res that was MANY years old, and a cheapy one at that.  But the tube res's are cool, I would look to one of the models that allows the pu8mp to be a permanent fixture at the bottom, I would also go for a somewhat larger end res if you have the space, as in my experience, the more res capacity the quicker and easier it is to bleed all the air out.
    Rigid tubing looks awesome, but in the planning phase, make sure you really plan carefully, because at some point your system will need either service or an upgrade and if they are not planned well, rigid tubing can be a real challenge to get components in and out simply because the tubing is not malleable. 
    One big focus I make on my loops is this: plan to have to take it apart at some point.  Look to make a coolant flush, or a component replacement as easy as possible.  I hate to say you will have headaches here, but I have been doing this long enough to know that things seem to fail at the worst possible time.  Since i started aiming for First: easy of maintenance, Second: cooling performance, then Third: making ti look good, things have just been easier for me.
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/25 23:01:55 (permalink)
    Ok updated the original post to reflect the rest of the system.

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/26 09:23:06 (permalink)
    Well I wouldn't bother with a PWM version of a D5 pump, Molex or SATA and done.  Are you trying to reduce the db level to literally as close to zero as possible, if so, at lower load you might save a couple db but that's about it.  But you have 38mm fans which will definitely move some air but they tend to make a bit of noise. 
    For QD's unless you are going with the QD4's, I would go with a smaller footprint like the  Swiftech models, QD4s are great due to their throughput, but otherwise if you are using 3's, I would go with Swiftech, performance is the same, smaller footprint, and imho look better.

Also, your anti microbial plug, that it the thread in type and it is silver, correct?  If so, it is redundant with the silver coil, I could keep the plug, less likelihood of it unwinding and sticking somewhere (it has happened to me).

Normally my parts list is a mix of Bitspower for fittings, I use Koolance QD4's, usually Swiftech 655B (most of the D5 pumps are basically the same, I tend to see these with better sales), Tygon or Primochill for tubing, CPU blocks, for a long time I used Swiftech, however there are some newer offerings which are definitely better, from my own research, if I were to buy one today, I could go with the Raystorm Pro, for rads I usually will recommend Hardware Labs, I have had GREAT performance from them, granted some of the XSPCs are really solid, typically in the area of getting your loop dead silent, Monsta if you are just looking to pull as much heat out as possible and it does not matter how bulky it is.

Couple things to remember, put a fill port somewhere physically high in your loop, and a drain port at the lowest point, I just use a T junction for the drain, there are actually valves now by BitsPower with a twist lever on the top, I use those for drains.  Of course you can go without, but this just makes things neat and easy.
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/26 13:43:40 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your feed back. I did not know that Swiftech had quick connects. I was familiar with Koolance and that is why went with them I will keep this info in mind when or if I switch to the hard tubing.

As for the anti microbial parts I bought the plug hoping I could use it and only bought the coil as a backup plan. After all its silver so not to much of a problem.

I did pick the pump/res combo based off of what you said above. I really liked the Res and its mounting system The pump gong on the end was also off of your recommendation.

The PWM connector I selected was so that I could run it off the motherboard.

The fans I purchased were merely what was cheaper for the 120x38mm type which I will run from the fan controller. I have bad hearing so noise is not to much of an issue but I am sure I will not have to run them at max anyways.

I would love to get a GPU block but I read that the 770 blocks will not work with the 770 version of the gpu I have 4gb version. I was thinking of ordering it anyways and taking it to a machine shop to make it fit. That or upgrade the GPU atm I am not ready to do that.

On a side note I am thinking of doing a vlog of this build and posting it up on YouTube. It seems like lots of people like watching them I know I have watched a ton the last couple days myself.

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/26 13:55:16 (permalink)
    No problem!  QD4's are a step above everything else in overall throughput and restriction, otherwise, Swiftech are smaller and typically cheaper, and a friend of mien swears by his, been running them since his X58 was the new cool thing.

Yeah, I used to use the coils, then I went to the plugs on the last build I did, I just found the plugs a little easier and cleaner, and the 2 together are redundant. 

The pump res combo should work very well, seen that combo use many times.

For the PWM, all you are running form the motherboard is the speed connector in most cases.  If it is a D5, it can pull WAY too much power to pull directly form your motherboards fan header.  All of our motherboards share the fan header spec of 12 watts/1amp @ +12v.  If you go over that, you run the risk of melting it, and unless they changed with a new revision, D5 pumps use around 2 amps (or more depending on speed), here is the spec on the swiftech model Nominal Current (@ 12 V) 2 Amps so do not power it from the board, you can run the PWM form there, and that is only the signal telling the pump to pull more or less power to adjust its throttle.

OK, 38mm tend to be a bit noisy unless you have them on a controller.  Personally, I use 3 per channel and I run a Lamptron FC5v2, not the flashiest controller out there, but it works really well.  I blew up I think 5 or 6 v3's before I went back to v2's, they are rated for the same power draws, but they did not keep up with their predecessor. 

As for blocks,, honestly, I don't think they are worth the time and effort.  If you have it all yourself and would do it by hand and that is a hobby, awesome, otherwise, if you are paying someone to do that, I recommend selling the 770s and using that money and the budgeted money for modifying blocks to purchase something a bit newer, you will perform better for the same money.
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/26 15:24:23 (permalink)
    Have to keep the 770 as it is under lifetime warranty from my 590. Miss the 590 tell I hooked up my samsung tv as a 4th monitor for my system.

The PWM connection now has me worried. 2 Amp would be a max draw correct. So all I should have to do is regulate it to say 40% load or is that wishfull thinking?
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/26 15:41:20 (permalink)
    40% wouldn't be much flow.
    Can you provide a link for your exact pump?  Normally for PWM on a device pulling over an amp, there is a PWM header AND a stand alone power connector.
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/26 16:18:15 (permalink)
    http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/d5-photon-170-reservoirpump-combo when I ordered it from performance pc I requested it with the pwm pump.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/26 16:21:42 (permalink)
    It says this in the specs "4 Pin Molex and 3 Pin Tacho Output"
    In essence you can control the speed from a header but not draw power from it, you are still powering it from the molex.
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/27 07:40:30 (permalink)
    That is for the Revo pump. I have not got it yet but the pump I purchased will have to pwm conetor

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/27 13:36:22 (permalink)
    Rarshaiz
    That is for the Revo pump. I have not got it yet but the pump I purchased will have to pwm conetor

Most PWM based pumps have 2 connectors, one for the PWM controls and one for power.  Like this pic, where you can see both a motherboard header AND a molex.  http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/17549/ex-pmp-214_2.jpg/ex-pmp-214/Swiftech_MCP655-PWM-DRIVE_12v_Water_Pump_Module_-_PWM_Enabled_Single_Version.html
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 483
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/27 16:07:35 (permalink)
    Getting a pwm pump over a regular one is the biggest waste of money really. Most of the noise honestly comes from the vibration going into the case, if its sitting on a floor, kinda like in the corsair 800D. But that noise is from trapped air. so if you get all the air out of the case, the case fans will make more noise than the pump. I dont even hear mine running with my ear next to it.

I had a fan controller which i had my pump hooked up to, to monitor speeds and reduce fan/pump noise. it short circuited, and i haven't looked back. it runs full blast at like 3500 or 4000rpm and i still dont hear it over my fans, which also run full speed. it is loud, but ive gotten used to it over the years since my fan controller went out.
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/27 18:57:25 (permalink)
    I will just have to wait until everything comes in to lay everything out. I am not overly worried about noise as I said I can't hear anyways. I used to work on Diesel locomotives.

As for the pump I'll just have to wait until it comes in to know more. Right now I am trying to figure out a way to do a vlog about the build. I will probably break it up in to multiple videos. Who knows maybe I could get a sponsor or two for it. I do not know how I am going to mount it But more then likely will have to have a aluminum plate made to lay it flat next to the mobo in the case. I will probably get a thin sheet of rubber to put between the mount and plate.

I love EVGA products and would only sell video cards from EVGA when I had my computer store. Every system I built had EVGA Video cards. Still to this day when people ask I tell them EVGA is the only way to go because of the customer service.

post edited by Rarshaiz - 2016/01/27 19:04:21
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 483
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/27 21:01:06 (permalink)
    You can use a big piece of velcro and stick it to the inside of the case. a huge sheet should be efficient enough to hold a cup of water worth of weight plus the reservoir. try to find a square resevoir, as the big cylinder ones would be hard to velcro.

just an idea
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/30 04:06:15 (permalink)
    Well I got the pump in yesterday. It does have the PWM and a 4pin molex connector that is only using 2 pins. I have already hit my first snag. Seems that CaseLAbs put a thinner piece of plat covering the fans for the front of the case. So I am not sure I want to mount this pump/res to it. I may have to order the larger motherboard try and hard drive under tray to mount it to. Going to shoot them message next.

What is the best hard tube to use? I thought about glass but I do not really want to do all the work to bend glass. It will be challenging enough with plastics.
    post edited by Rarshaiz - 2016/01/30 12:36:10
    honma66
    • Total Posts : 13
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/31 13:14:40 (permalink)
    Just a heads up on the D5 PWM (unless XSPC is different to others). The pump only runs at 60% (approx 2000rpm) without the PWM signal. This can be a problem for filling, bleeding and leak testing depending on your loop setup. Google images for D5 PWM pump speed and you'll find a couple of cable hacks to force it to 100% if needed (no liability!)

Personally I wouldn't worry about water cooling the GPU in a single card setup. You shouldn't have any airflow issues in the CaseLabs and the newer cards are much more efficient. I've not bothered this time around for my X99 build with 5820K & GTX970. No issues with temps or noise.

Enjoy your build! 
    post edited by honma66 - 2016/01/31 13:19:40
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/01/31 21:23:22 (permalink)
    honma66
    Just a heads up on the D5 PWM (unless XSPC is different to others). The pump only runs at 60% (approx 2000rpm) without the PWM signal. This can be a problem for filling, bleeding and leak testing depending on your loop setup. Google images for D5 PWM pump speed and you'll find a couple of cable hacks to force it to 100% if needed (no liability!)

Personally I wouldn't worry about water cooling the GPU in a single card setup. You shouldn't have any airflow issues in the CaseLabs and the newer cards are much more efficient. I've not bothered this time around for my X99 build with 5820K & GTX970. No issues with temps or noise.

Enjoy your build! 

The Water block for the CPU is mainly for aesthetic reasons but some overclocking will be done as well. Especially after seeing all them water cooled PC's at PAX South.

I did read about that. 60% will probably be fine, I am going to charge the loop before plugging it in to the pump outlet since I bought an extra set of quick disconnects.

I will have to read more on this fan controller it also has a PWM header on it.

Right now I found out I can not use silver in the loop do to the nickle plating on the CPU Block. So I have to find a new CPU block one that is copper and not platted and prefer a clear top with no badging or minimal badging so the coolant can bee seen going through the block its self.
    post edited by Rarshaiz - 2016/02/01 21:55:06
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/02/09 15:38:12 (permalink)
    Also should I use Teflon tape on the threads of the fittings? The mechanic in me says yes.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/02/11 10:06:58 (permalink)
    http://forums.evga.com/Do-I-need-to-use-teflon-tape-on-watercooling-fittings-and-blocks-m2445230.aspx
    No, but here are a couple reasons why specifically.  In case anyone else was following this thread and missed your other thread about it.
    Rarshaiz
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Help with new water cooling build. 2016/03/04 19:59:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info on the teflon tape. I did not use it at all.

Everything is sealed up nicely. Under burn in load I ran at 30 Celsius. I do not know if that is good or not but it at least gives me a base line. No over clocking on it either. But will be looking for a good overclock for the 5820 and x99 classified.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile