Author
Nephross
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 263
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2016/06/23 14:59:12 (permalink)
Hi :)

So I have put together a watercooling loop for my pc and all went well considering it's my first loop. No leaks and things are shiney, with the noticable exception of 2 things that may or may not be related.
1st thing is that after well over 24 hours of bleeding/leak testing, there is still some fairly large air bubbles trapped in my EK Supermacy EVO cpu block. They will not budge, not matter the amount of tilting and tapping I do. Temps are not exactly impressive either with it idling at around 38 celcius, room temp at 24 celcius and plenty of radiator space to cool with.
2nd thing is a strange "clicking" noise for lack of a better description. I can't pinpoint were it's coming from, other that somewhere around the top left corner of the case. It didn't seem this prevalent when leaktesting only with the pump on, but if I stop the fans it doesn't go away either. Can the air in the block cause that type of noise?

These are all new experiences so please let me know if there is anymore information needed to help.

15 Replies Related Threads

WackyWRZ
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 603
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/23 16:51:12 (permalink)
    Do you have a variable speed pump?  I have found that varying the speed of the pump can help to dislodge the air bubbles - it took over a week to get all the bubbles out of my current system.

As far as the clicking - is there a radiator near where you're hearing the noise?  My guess is there is an air pocket / bubble in the end at the tank.

CASE: Anidees AI Crystal XL | MOBO: ASUS X470 Crosshair VII | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 2x8GB B-Die | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 | GPU: AMD RX5700 XT | MON: AOC CU34G2X 1440p/144hz 34" Ultrawide + Dell S2716DG 1440p/144Hz | Cooling: Full custom loop, Heatkiller D5 150, Aquacomputer D5 Next + Quadro, EK Supremacy Evo, EK Coolstream PE 480, Bykski 5700XT | HEAT: 20-0-0 - http://www.heatware.com/u/104452

Nephross
    iCX Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 00:48:59 (permalink)
    WackyWRZ
    Do you have a variable speed pump?  I have found that varying the speed of the pump can help to dislodge the air bubbles - it took over a week to get all the bubbles out of my current system.

As far as the clicking - is there a radiator near where you're hearing the noise?  My guess is there is an air pocket / bubble in the end at the tank.

Hi again
    Seems you are right about the patience. Left it running over night, and a few of the bubbles in the block had moved themselves out. Gonna leave that be for a time, and see if it cant sort itself out.

Regarding the clicking I think you might be on to something, it does sound like it originates from the top 360 rad. Is there any kind of trick to get rid of the remaining air trapped?

Nephross
    iCX Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 10:07:47 (permalink)
    A little update on the situation.

I had some time free and took a closer look at what could be at fault with the clicking noise. Turned out to be the Corsair fans, both the AF140 and SP120s, making the noise due to what I think was my fan controller(a Fractal adjust 104) when it was modulating the current to the fans. I put in a resistor between the fans and the controller and pushed the controller to full, no more noise.. don't know what is going on there, but for now it's better. It's not the best of solutions, but will have to do.

WackyWRZ
    SSC Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 12:31:40 (permalink)
    Nephross
    I had some time free and took a closer look at what could be at fault with the clicking noise. Turned out to be the Corsair fans, both the AF140 and SP120s, making the noise due to what I think was my fan controller(a Fractal adjust 104) when it was modulating the current to the fans. I put in a resistor between the fans and the controller and pushed the controller to full, no more noise.. don't know what is going on there, but for now it's better. It's not the best of solutions, but will have to do.

Now that makes perfect sense.  I read back when I was shopping for fans that the Corsair ones are really finicky on what controller is used.  The clicking noise is what you get when they don't like the voltage - especially up toward higher speeds and the resistor always seemed to fix it.  Clicking fans and controllers is actually a somewhat widespread "issue".  One other thing to check is that the screws are all in good - also too tight of a screw could be warping the fan as well but I'd bet it's the fan controller.

CASE: Anidees AI Crystal XL | MOBO: ASUS X470 Crosshair VII | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 2x8GB B-Die | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 | GPU: AMD RX5700 XT | MON: AOC CU34G2X 1440p/144hz 34" Ultrawide + Dell S2716DG 1440p/144Hz | Cooling: Full custom loop, Heatkiller D5 150, Aquacomputer D5 Next + Quadro, EK Supremacy Evo, EK Coolstream PE 480, Bykski 5700XT | HEAT: 20-0-0 - http://www.heatware.com/u/104452

ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 12:48:39 (permalink)
    PWM fans are notorious for the clicking noise. I have a set of 8 PWM EK Vardar fans and when set below 800 RPM one of them ticks non stop. I have had this happen with Corsair SP and AF fans and the fractal design fans

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 14:38:09 (permalink)
    Glad you got this all working again, clicking can be a pain.  I have not jumped onto the PWM bandwagon, and every time I hear things like that about how finicky the fans can be,  it keeps me from going there. Personally, I am sticking with my Panaflo's and San Ace 38mm fans and my not very fancy Lamptron FC5v2 controllers, they just work, a littler noisey (turned down, really not much noise), but the move a ton of air even through my thick high FPI rads and keep everything nice and cool.
    You will get random air in your res for a while.  I had mine running non stop for like a month, powered down, and I heard a glugging noise for lack of a better word, and a good size bubble went into my res, visually lowered the water level.  Every temp I had was great, and saw NOTHING to indicate I had air stuck, but evidently I did.  I also had a bubble stuck in a tube just outside of my res for the longest time, could not get it to move, came home from work one day, bubble was clear.
    post edited by EVGATech_DaveB - 2016/06/24 14:54:57
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 14:55:21 (permalink)
    And do you have pictures to show us?
    ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 15:13:26 (permalink)
    occasionally i have had a pesky bubble in an ekwb evo cpu block but they usually come out in the first few hours with the usual methods. tiling the case adjusting speed on pumps opening a plug in the top of the res or loop somewhere etc. 

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    Nephross
    iCX Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 16:00:34 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    And do you have pictures to show us?

Sure :) here are a few shots. Will update the build thread and modrigs after this post.

ragevirusqq
    PWM fans are notorious for the clicking noise. I have a set of 8 PWM EK Vardar fans and when set below 800 RPM one of them ticks non stop. I have had this happen with Corsair SP and AF fans and the fractal design fans

It's not even PWM fans, well.. maybe they have the same internals as the pwm models, but these only have 3pins.

WackyWRZ
    Nephross

Now that makes perfect sense.  I read back when I was shopping for fans that the Corsair ones are really finicky on what controller is used.  The clicking noise is what you get when they don't like the voltage - especially up toward higher speeds and the resistor always seemed to fix it.  Clicking fans and controllers is actually a somewhat widespread "issue".  One other thing to check is that the screws are all in good - also too tight of a screw could be warping the fan as well but I'd bet it's the fan controller.

It's all tight and secured, was also one of the things I checked. It's some funky interaction between the fans and the controller. In programming we call it black magic, hack the problem and move on :P

ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 16:19:58 (permalink)
    Very Clean build 

Nephross
    iCX Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 16:21:22 (permalink)
    ragevirusqq
    Very Clean build 

Thank you so much :)

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 16:53:09 (permalink)
    That looks nice, clean and simple, I might go as far as to say that is downright nifty :)

My builds are rarely that neat lol, get the wires enough out of the way to where they don't cause airflow issues, no leaks found after testing, slap the side cover on and USE IT!  I'm too impatient to use my new creations... also the function>form thing with me doesn't help me to make purdy builds either.
    Nephross
    iCX Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 17:10:21 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    That looks nice, clean and simple, I might go as far as to say that is downright nifty :)

My builds are rarely that neat lol, get the wires enough out of the way to where they don't cause airflow issues, no leaks found after testing, slap the side cover on and USE IT!  I'm too impatient to use my new creations... also the function>form thing with me doesn't help me to make purdy builds either.

Thank you :) Yeah, it ended up being very neat. A biproduct of simplicity I think. It's also been a long time comming, so I have had a lot of time to think about how to make it nice, so planning ahead made it a lot easier. Next step is going to involve a GTX 980 Ti sometime in the fall, at least before the release of Mass Effect Andromeda in Spring 2017(I'm more than excited about this, it's gonna be so good:D Mass Effect on FrostBite in 1440p - That is a recipe for a great experience).

WackyWRZ
    SSC Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/24 18:34:05 (permalink)
    I like those fittings!  Are they compression or barb?  Either way - what kinda are they???

And also - apparently a lot of the newer non PWM fans are now having clicking issues with older/cheaper fan controllers depending on the method of control used to drop the voltage.  Has something to do with using PWM duty cycle to chop the voltage causing ripple (or something along those lines).  AFAIK resistive / rheostat based ones don't have the clicking issue. 
    post edited by WackyWRZ - 2016/06/24 18:39:00

Nephross
    iCX Member
    Re: Help needed on new watercooling system 2016/06/25 01:27:13 (permalink)
    WackyWRZ
    I like those fittings!  Are they compression or barb?  Either way - what kinda are they???

And also - apparently a lot of the newer non PWM fans are now having clicking issues with older/cheaper fan controllers depending on the method of control used to drop the voltage.  Has something to do with using PWM duty cycle to chop the voltage causing ripple (or something along those lines).  AFAIK resistive / rheostat based ones don't have the clicking issue. 

They are compression fittings made by Monsoon :)

I actually have a PWM version of the SP120 lying around somewhere. The next time I take of the backsidepanel, I'm going to try and see if it has the same problem. If my fan controller is using the PWM duty cycle to step down speed, would it stand to reason that a PWM fan actually handles it better than non PWM ?

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile