EVGA

Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused.

Author
RedBasilisk
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/08/30 13:29:21 (permalink)
Hello all!

This is my first time on the forum and I am a first time EVGA user. I am setting up a new computer and I have bought my first EVGA graphics card ever which is GTX TI 980 acx 2.0 sc+ (and this is the very first component I have bought for my new rig. Others are on the way :). I decided to buy this card due to the reviews I read online about it. It is a pretty popular card and I have heard that EVGA brand is awesome.

However I got confused a little after looking at the other 980 ti models like classified, hybrid, kingpin etc. Now my question is do I really need the overclocking capability of these cards or is this card enough for me to play games on ultra settings on 1080p? I don't intend to move to 4k now but I might soon. I am not a crazy over clock maniac but what I am concerned about is, the price for classified for example is only a $20 more than the one I have. Is it really worth it or will this card last enough for me providing enough satisfaction over the next years?

Also how would you guys compare EVGA 980 ti WITH MSI and Gigabyte's versions? I know that EVGA has the least stock speed among these but is 100mhz really going to matter? How much more fps would I gain and in the long term which is the best? I just want my money to worth it in the best way. I'd really appreciate your help.
post edited by RedBasilisk - 2015/08/30 13:32:59

10 Replies Related Threads

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/30 13:51:56 (permalink)
    Hello, welcome.
    I think you choose great card, both EVGA SC versions are great, reference and ACX 2.0.
    Reference give little wider possibility because you can use Hybrid cooler and push air out of case.
    From other side ACX 2.0 give about 10C better temps and you don't need to think to replace cooler instantly.
    GTX980Ti Classified is even better card and with 100MHz higher clock but it's more expensive and if you use only for games you will not see much difference, few fps. You can try to OC your model even more, sometimes SC version overclocked better than Classified.
    K|NGP|N is best and most expensive model for real EVGA fans and enthusiasts who will pay and few hundred dollars more only for so good model.
    For me that's only real elite GeForce on market. 
    You didn't wrong, now you choose EVGA 980Ti SC ACX 2.0, you can use that model for now and to follow results and what people think about GTX980Ti Classified, to take look on some video clip and maybe later if you find buyer for your card to cross on GTX980Ti Classified, or when time come for upgrade to go on Classified version some other generation. Classified models are really special, in special package, huge cards with amazing and big PCB and backplate, no doubt in that, if you buy once Classified you will very hard to chose something else.

But if you want best performance for money than EVGA 980Ti SC is maybe best model for you because it's not expensive and
    with little luck she will work on Classified speed or little less. And it's very important to say that SC version give same result as TITAN X.
    From that side your model and reference SC are exactly what you ask.
    EVGA is good choice because if some problem happen manufacturer will not try to get rid of you or to leave you to resolve your problems with sellers except if that's fastest and best option for you but you can always to call support and everything will be clear for few hours, not few days or weeks.
    Other brands follow different politic, they will advertised own cards as best choice but they will never give you explain how someone who not allow you to change cooler, who will not support you with warranty to replace thermal paste after few months, to install waterblock or aftermarket cooler, how such hardware could be better than other where customers have more freedom.
    post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/08/30 13:54:31

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/30 14:34:00 (permalink)
    Short and sweet, the 980ti is overkill for 1080p, so you will be fine. Turn DSR up to 2k or 4k, and let the card shine.

You don't need to overclock for 1080p. Period. Especially not on a 60hz monitor. No 1080p monitor will honestly need overclocking.. Ignore the other models, and they will only take your money and not do anything else for you.
    yuukichan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/30 16:08:33 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Short and sweet, the 980ti is overkill for 1080p, so you will be fine. Turn DSR up to 2k or 4k, and let the card shine.

You don't need to overclock for 1080p. Period. Especially not on a 60hz monitor. No 1080p monitor will honestly need overclocking.. Ignore the other models, and they will only take your money and not do anything else for you.

It is not overkill for 1080p if you plan on playing very demanding games even at 60 fps at 1080p. One example is Dragon Age Inquisition. The 980ti SC+ is one of the few cards that can run that can at 1080p with everything cranked up at 60fps without issue. It barley pushes 75 fps in most cases on a 144hz monitor or with vsync off and sometimes drops into about 65 fps. Also op said 1080p gaming and not 1080p60. The card is great if you plan on doing 1080p gaming on a 144hz monitor.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/30 16:16:39 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    ...the 980ti is overkill for 1080p... 

This isn't exactly true. There are several games that tax the you know what out of even the 980 Ti at 1080P - I know because I own one and game at 1080P.

For many games it is "overkill" - but for ARK and GTA V (maximum settings, non-DSR) the 980 TI is sitting at 99% use and can dip below 60 FPS, which is very true to ARK (granted it doesn't have DX12 yet, which should increase performance by ~20% and push it over 60 FPS).

To the OP - get whichever 980 Ti that fits your budget and your case - reference if you have bad case cooling, non-reference if your case cooling is good. It is the luck of the silicon lottery on whether the card you get overclocks well or not. I've seen some people with purely reference cards hitting 1500MHz, and I've seen some with a Kingpin that barely can get past 1400MHz.

Also, ASIC quality doesn't matter nearly as much as how cool the card is for the 980 Ti (for air cooled cards). I've had 2 Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 cards, one had 64.7% and overclocked to 1497MHz - the other is a 77.3% that overclocks to 1515MHz. Not a big difference unless you plan to put it under water which will allow for better overclocking results because temperature means everything for Maxwell overclocking.
    yuukichan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/30 16:19:03 (permalink)
    Vlada011

EVGA is good choice because if some problem happen manufacturer will not try to get rid of you or to leave you to resolve your problems with sellers except if that's fastest and best option for you but you can always to call support and everything will be clear for few hours, not few days or weeks.
    Other brands follow different politic, they will advertised own cards as best choice but they will never give you explain how someone who not allow you to change cooler, who will not support you with warranty to replace thermal paste after few months, to install waterblock or aftermarket cooler, how such hardware could be better than other where customers have more freedom.

Not to mention it looks like other than one reference ASUS 970, that MSI and Asus are using sleeve bearing fans. I have had pretty much every sleeve bearing fan on a vga card or case start making bad noises in the office place or at home after 6 months to a year. All my ACX cooler have been good for 2+ years now on my oldest card. Also Asus has some of the worst customer support in the industry at least with monitors and motherboards. Many people have had them give defective refurbs on both monitors and mobos. I have at least read that about the mobos, on the monitor side I have experienced that. So once I was told that the 3 year warranty on a monitor was 3 years from date of manufacture and not when it was made. Another time I got one back with a slash on the front panel. They really are not great. Aslo when I called them the support was overseas and I just do not want to deal with that with a $700 vga card. I dealt with evga 2 times so far and both times were great with support in the us even late at night on a Friday. I feel that anyone should steer clear of Asus as they have a we have your money now and don't car attitude.
    post edited by yuukichan - 2015/08/30 16:24:23
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/30 16:52:23 (permalink)
    Ok, so a terrible ports and an unoptimized (Ark) game run like crap on a 1080p monitor.. Weird. Most games except for a few can be maxed out with a 980, much less a TI.

If you are surprised that some games run like crap with any gpu, then you are destined for disappointment and failure. Ark is not a good example for anything. They aren't optimizing it to be better, they are only adding more stuff to it. Turning settings down doesn't change much if you haven't noticed.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/30 19:20:59 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Ok, so a terrible ports and an unoptimized (Ark) game run like crap on a 1080p monitor.. Weird. Most games except for a few can be maxed out with a 980, much less a TI.

If you are surprised that some games run like crap with any gpu, then you are destined for disappointment and failure. Ark is not a good example for anything. They aren't optimizing it to be better, they are only adding more stuff to it. Turning settings down doesn't change much if you haven't noticed.

And GW2. And Batman: Arkan Knight. And, and, and.

There will always be exceptions to sweeping generalizations like 
    Scarlet-Tech...the 980ti is overkill for 1080p... 
    - don't make them if you don't want blowback from people who have first hand experience.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/30 19:45:19 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Scarlet-Tech

And GW2. And Batman: Arkan Knight. And, and, and.

There will always be exceptions to sweeping generalizations like 
    Scarlet-Tech...the 980ti is overkill for 1080p... 
    - don't make them if you don't want blowback from people who have first hand experience.

You are correct, I shouldn't have made a generalization. There is always an exception to every rule. I guess we shouldn't ever make a generalization at all for anything.

Also, games that are locked at 60fps without going into the console and making changes... Those are just foolish to include.. No gpu can overdo a factory game lock, so just go ahead and wipe those off the list..
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/08/30 19:50:53
    RedBasilisk
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/31 19:34:38 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your replies. I decided to keep my card after your feedback. Thanks!
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Help! Bought EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 SC+ with Backplate, now confused. 2015/08/31 21:52:19 (permalink)
    RedBasilisk
    Thank you all for your replies. I decided to keep my card after your feedback. Thanks!

Awesome.        

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile