EVGA

Green screen crash of doom with GTX 570?

Author
MightionNY
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 122
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2014/07/02 12:16:27 (permalink)
Here's something I posted to the Geforce boards as well, when I thought I was having a driver issue:

All of a sudden, my PC (Intel i7 920, GTX 570 SC HD, Windows 7 64 bit) is unable to play any games, or even use programs like 3DMark 11. I mainly play Star Trek Online, Team Fortress 2, Skyrim lately, but now I'm at the point where basically no games work except those that don't "Stress" the system.  Nothing is overclocked except the card's factory overclock.

What happens is, in all cases, the game(s) will let me past the loading screens and whatnot, and even occasionally let me play the game for a few seconds.... then the screen goes black then solid color light green, light blue, greenish blue, etc.... requiring a reset or cold shutdown. One time I did get a blue screen mentioning nvlddmkm.sys, failed to respond in a timely manner, etc... but I can't seem to pull up that exact event in Event viewer.

Anyway, when this started happening, it was "only" happening in Skyrim - I started STO and it ran fine for a minute or so. I wondered if it might be an OpenGL issue, so I went into Starbound - which has "normal" and OpenGL modes - Starbound would work in "normal mode", but it did the crash if I launched it in OpenGL mode.

I did notice on the forced reboots that I keep getting a message the it was "Updating Steam", so I wondered if it was a Steam thing. I uninstalled 340.43 and let the pc restart, then reinstalled it.

What that did, is make it so that NO "accelerated app" would work - not even Starbound or STO. That's the funny thing... it "waits" until I actually would get into the game.

I don't think it's a heat issue - This room is small and air-conditioned, with the A/C less that four feet away. I even opened up the PC and checked for dust - there wasn't any - I'd cleaned it out a few months ago with canned air. I did remove the vid card, and blow canned air into it, and into the case, just to be sure. The PSU is a Corsair TX650W, and that didn't have much dust on it either, though I did blow some air through it, too.  There was far, far more dust in the system the last time I cleaned it out two months ago, and it was working fine then.

Any ideas or suggestions? Aside from trying to play games, the PC is working; I'm using it now. EGA Precision X shows proper temps and fan speeds... and the test function works.  Those brief moments I am in a game, there isn't any image corruption - this card is an RMA from another GTX570 SC HD that died - that scrambled the screen everywhere.

So, I'm thinking some sort of software issue, but darned if I can find it.

Any ideas? I did a Norton Quickscan right now, and I'd done a Spybot 2 scan last night, all clear.

Any other info from my PC that might help?

The thing that gets me is it was basically restricted to OpenGL games until I reinstalled the drivers the first time.  After that, nothing works.  Well, except Civ 4, which isn't exactly a system killer. The system passes both 32m and 1024m 8-threaded wPrime tests, and will run the EVGA OC scanner stress test at 95%+ load just fine with zero artifacts.

My Current PC: Victory Saber
EVGA X99 FTW
Intel Core i7 5820K - 3.30 ghz (stock clock)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4x4GB) DDR 2666
EVGA GTX 1080 SC2
EVGA Supernova 750 G2
2 TB WD Black (64 mb cache, 7200 rpm)
Apevia X-Dreamer 4 Black/Red
Windows 10 Home

7 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Green screen crash of doom with GTX 570? 2014/07/02 12:40:15 (permalink)
    What is the video card core temperature while OC Scanner is running?

Usually a solid color screen crash is related to a power issue. Either a PSU issue, an issue with the video card making bad connection with the PCI-E slot, an issue with the motherboard's 24-pin connection, an issue with the video card's PCI-E 6-pin connection at the video card or at the PSU (if modular PSU connection design), or an issue with the video card's power regulation ("VRM") circuitry.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

MightionNY
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Green screen crash of doom with GTX 570? 2014/07/02 13:21:28 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    What is the video card core temperature while OC Scanner is running?

Usually a solid color screen crash is related to a power issue. Either a PSU issue, an issue with the video card making bad connection with the PCI-E slot, an issue with the motherboard's 24-pin connection, an issue with the video card's PCI-E 6-pin connection at the video card or at the PSU (if modular PSU connection design), or an issue with the video card's power regulation ("VRM") circuitry.

Okay, that was weird...

I just ran the OC scanner stress test again.... this time while watching Precision.  When it started, the clock speed bounced between 797 mhz (the card's factory stock OC'ed speed) and 50 percent (398), but it settled in at 398 mhz while the temp went to 72c, while at 96 percent load.

I stopped the test, and noticed that the artifact scanner was off.  I turned it on, then tried the stress test again - got the green screen crash instantly.

Boy, this bugs me.  I still have no idea if it's a PSU, GPU, or even a software issue.  I'd try my GTX 275 CO-OP, but it's debatable if that has higher or lower power requirements than the 570.
    EDIT: I did unslot and reslot the card yesterday when I was cleaning it out, but I didn't do anything with the power cables - they seemed to be in place.  Tried unplugging and replugging the card and the power cables, blew out a tiny bit more dust, no good.

post edited by MightionNY - 2014/07/02 15:16:21

EVGA X99 FTW
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC2
    EVGA Supernova 750 G2
    Windows 10 Home
    MightionNY
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Green screen crash of doom with GTX 570? 2014/07/02 22:35:24 (permalink)
    Okay, I've managed to track it down to the video card.  Again.

Long story short, things were getting "worse", so I removed the card and put in my previous GTX 275 CO-OP; which incidentally has higher power requirements and my 570 - it requires both a six and an eight pin connection, with a minimum 680 watt ps.  The 570 only specifies a 550 watt ps and uses two sixes.

I can play everything so far again with the GTX 275, so it looks like my 570 has failed.  Again.  This one was an RMA that I got almost 15 months ago.

On the plus side I guess that means my Corsair TX650 power supply is still good... which is good because I couldn't get the CPU power connector out due to clearance inside my case.

Thanks for the help though.

Next question - The is the second GTX 570 SC HD that's died on me... do I dare RMA it again, what would EVGA replace it with, or should I just scrape together some nickels and just get a newer card, like a 750 Ti or something?

EVGA X99 FTW
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC2
    EVGA Supernova 750 G2
    Windows 10 Home
    Erik
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 417
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Green screen crash of doom with GTX 570? 2014/07/02 23:46:44 (permalink)
    MightionNY I would recommend going through with the RMA as long as your warranty is still active and if you are interested in upgrading to another GPU you could always sell the replacement and use that towards a new purchase.  

Please email us at Support@EVGA.com when you are able to and we can help you out.
    MightionNY
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Green screen crash of doom with GTX 570? 2014/07/03 02:04:49 (permalink)
    Well, according to the details of this card, it's out of warranty; even though the first card I bought new had limited lifetime warranty.  I had to RMA that one, for this one.

EVGA X99 FTW
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC2
    EVGA Supernova 750 G2
    Windows 10 Home
    ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Green screen crash of doom with GTX 570? 2014/07/03 03:42:21 (permalink)
    MightionNY
    Well, according to the details of this card, it's out of warranty; even though the first card I bought new had limited lifetime warranty.  I had to RMA that one, for this one.

Please contact us by either starting a support request from your "My Products" page, or contact us via phone at 1.888.881.3842, and we can assist you in setting up your RMA.
    wildcard1978
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Green screen crash of doom with GTX 570? 2015/03/30 21:21:19 (permalink)
    Yeah I been having green screen white pink black on boot and installing any version of windows all the research I've done is 99 % of the time its vid cards that are bad. 
    And not the power supply
    cards I got are doing it geforce gtx  650 ti boosts. 
    I'm running a 
    Asrock 990fx extreme 6 board
    Ultra x3 1000 watt  psu bronze
    16gb of muskin ddr3 2133 MHz 4x4gb
    And fx 9590 fx 5 GHz 8 core 4.7 base auto clocks its self between 4.7 and 5 at default clock speeds
    And I can barely even get windows installed  let alone boot up
    And if it was a power supply issue like some site say you see the system hanging and locking up that is not the case screen does rand Dom solid colors non stop  and 99 percent chance it's always the graphics card 
    Already been through thousands of forums in a week and contact with support to evga and as rock new egg and ultra 

Had the same problem years ago on a dual geforce  8600 gt  black edition cards 
    That time around only one card was doing it 
    Other card was fine but XFX tried saying it was my power supply and geus what it was not 

So with the case on the 650 ti boosts I got  I'll keep ya posted
    Cause finally got evga to RMA both cards cause I can't afford to ship em in sepratelly hell took me months to even save up for a new board CPU and ram

post edited by wildcard1978 - 2015/04/01 00:52:28
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile