Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on

Author
WUHS09
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/10/12 15:55:26 (permalink)
This is an RMA board that I have and it was doing good out of the case but it did throw me an FF code twice but then it had no trouble booting up. I have had it in the case since Monday and it seems like 90% of the time, it gives me the FF code. After a few trys of power off and then back on, it clears and boots into windows without any other issue. What could this problem be? System specs below and it is running at stock speeds and RAM is set manually to what it should be.
I do not want to take it back out as I have three times this month and do not have the money for another RMA at all. Anything EVGA could do if it is the board again?
post edited by WUHS09 - 2013/10/18 12:36:03

My Build, Built and it Runs with little problems
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K C2 Stepping
Motherboard: EVGA X79 DARK BIOs 2.10 and 2.09
CPU Cooling: Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling combined with Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition
RAM: Patriot Division 4 Viper Extreme 16GB at 1866MHz
OS Hard Drive: Patriot Wildfire 120 GB SSD
Storage/Gaming Hard Drive: Seagate 1.5TB
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB Reference Design directly from nVidia themselves
Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 23"
Power Supply: Corsair AX 750 Watt[/fo

19 Replies Related Threads

_BrittonT
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/12 16:42:05 (permalink)
    You may want to try the board outside the case, perhaps with just the cpu, 1 stick of ram, and the video card. To help rule out perhaps a grounding issue. Let us know of your results.
    delta7
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 457
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/12 17:10:41 (permalink)
    Check your voltages on your psu also.

WUHS09
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/12 20:21:16 (permalink)
    It started doing that right when I got it and it did that a few times before I put it into the case so it is not a grounding issue or a PSU issue. The PSU is still good. I was hoping it was my heatsink on to tight so I have loosened that but it has not gone away.

CPU Cooling: Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling combined with Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition
    Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB Reference Design directly from nVidia themselves
    shane170
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/12 21:38:10 (permalink)
    I have the FF code all the time. Thought the screws holding processor to board where  touching inside of tower so I insulated the tops of the screw, still FF, when fully booted

shane170
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/12 21:43:39 (permalink)
    Will the FF code damage board?

WUHS09
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/13 14:01:12 (permalink)
    delta7

How would I check the voltages?

shane170
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/13 23:57:07 (permalink)
    Thax ill do that. But. I did onetime test Motherboard outside of case and no FF code then. YES,  HOW WOULD I CHECK THAT psu AND ANY else MABY IN BIOS? Here's my specs.
    mforce 78i.  p/n 132.ck.nf78-a1
    Corsair HX620 Modular Power Supply.
    4 2gb 800MHz 4-4-4-12 2.10v  ver.1.1
    eGeForce 8500 GT 1 Gb  DDR2.
    Seagates 500 Gb and 750 Gb
    Intel CPU Fan 12v a2 ,42 amp.
    Thabks for replying, Shane170
    Koolabear11
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/14 03:46:33 (permalink)
    if i were you i wouldnt waste any more time, just rma the board, ive had this issue there's obviuosly a problem that evga needs to sort out, i even went and bought a new £180 psu trying to solve the ff issue, new board ok at the moment but other problems are rearing there ugly heads !
    huiqbal
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/14 07:38:11 (permalink)
    I bought this MB last night same FF issue. Accidentally open the manual and an extra piece of paper says use third bios for ivy bridge processors. Try the third Bios. It's the switch on MB push it all the way to right. Mine works fine. Also pay attention memory should be occupied in 1, 3,5 and 7 slot first. Slots on right side are numbered reversed order. Hope that helps.
    WUHS09
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/14 09:32:20 (permalink)
    Thing is I just did an RMA and it cost me a tank of gas to send it in. I can't afford to do that again or have more down time. I use my computer for school and I won't have down time until December. I want to see what EVGA will do cause they are the ones that sent me this board that is showing an FF 90% of the time on boot up. It did it out of the case on the box so its not a grounding issue.

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/14 10:48:15 (permalink)
    If you have a SB-e chip, try setting your ram speed manually to 1600 and timings and voltage manually to specs printed on the ram sticks.
    If you have an IB-e chip, do the same but set 1866(7) manually.

Leave VSA & VCCIO voltage on auto.  VSA Vdroop on Intel spec.  See if this helps any of you out.  Please post back your results if you test with the above settings.

delta7
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 457
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/14 11:02:24 (permalink)
    WUHS09
    delta7

Use a voltage tester or ohm-meter and measure the 12v, 3.3v, and 5v rails.  A low 3.3v will cause a FF. On most psu's the green wire is the psu switch wire on the 24 pin plug.

Here is a article telling how to turn on the psu and what each pin should measure.    www.techpowerup.com/articles/others/22

24 pin-  http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

post edited by delta7 - 2013/10/14 11:25:13

WUHS09
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/14 17:23:40 (permalink)
    bdary
    If you have a SB-e chip, try setting your ram speed manually to 1600 and timings and voltage manually to specs printed on the ram sticks.
    If you have an IB-e chip, do the same but set 1866(7) manually.

Leave VSA & VCCIO voltage on auto.  VSA Vdroop on Intel spec.  See if this helps any of you out.  Please post back your results if you test with the above settings.

I have 3930K so SB-E and when I did that just now, got FF right away and the restart showed 19 and stuck. cleared cmos and reloaded my old settings and it booted up fine. Also I do not mess with any voltages other than RAM and VCore that is set at 1.2V.
    delta7

WUHS09
    delta7

Use a voltage tester or ohm-meter and measure the 12v, 3.3v, and 5v rails.  A low 3.3v will cause a FF. On most psu's the green wire is the psu switch wire on the 24 pin plug.

Here is a article telling how to turn on the psu and what each pin should measure.    www.techpowerup.com/articles/others/22

24 pin-  http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

I will have to look for my volt meter later and try tomorrow after I get my school work done.

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/15 06:27:13 (permalink)
    I thought it may have been worth a shot.  I'll be glad when they get this memory and voltage issue resolved.  Hopefully with the next bios revision. 

WUHS09
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/15 13:34:44 (permalink)
    Hopefully the new BIOs is good.  What's odd now is that each time I am booting up, I'm not getting the FF code as much or often, more once every few days if anything compared to almost every boot, and I have not changed in anything in the BIOs or on the board itself. But I will be keeping a watch for it to happen again, just hopefully it was something that just needed to get settled in the system of BIOs or something.

ttweaker
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/17 08:17:12 (permalink)
    Well EVGA, "Here we go AGAIN"!! I am so dissappointed in EVGA's products, I think I'll move on. 

This is my Story, a few months ago I bought an video card ( Evga nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti 3 gb), took it home, put it in and nothing. Went on the net tried this tried that, Skyped with my brother and best friend  (while they played my favorite game BF3) ,they are very knowledgeable with PC's. No way would this card work. I then went back to Memory Express in Canada where I bought it, they tested it, no good. They replaced it and off I went.
    2hrs later I was home again and put in card, worked great, (for a month). RMA on warranty and sent to California, (at my cost). 10 days later new card arrived, put in my pc and NOTHING. (Are you kidding me!!!), discussed with tech in Cali, he said send back at our cost. Sounds good < so off it went. Got it back and this is the second month of using, with no issues.

So I decide I am going to build a new system, I was on a Buy and Sell site and seen an EVGA X79 FTW Mobo brand new in the box for $200.00, I thinking about this and read some reviews, (not as much as I should have),An okay I am going to get this, So I bought this a month ago and last week I bought an EVGA PSU, then this week I bought an Intel I7-4820K  3.7Ghz 10mb cache. then yesterday I bought a Fractal Design tower. 

I have been trying to get this mother board to boot, NO WAY. FF code everytime, Checked and rechecked plugs, Cpu chip, changed power supplys, pulled out Cemos battery (Multiple times) and main power and let it sit over night. I have been looking on internet for more ideas. I did not change out the cpu, This is not a cheap item to have a spare and the nearest one would be 2 hour drive away.

So now what, send it to Cali, then they send me another one and it does not work. I guess I`ll have to, because I don`t have another 300 bucks for a good X79 motherboard.
    Sorry my thread is so long, but I am very Frustrated at EVGA. What would you Do?

Ttweaker
    post edited by ttweaker - 2013/10/17 15:22:14
    WUHS09
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/17 15:51:55 (permalink)
    ttweaker
    Well EVGA, "Here we go AGAIN"!! I am so dissappointed in EVGA's products, I think I'll move on. 

This is my Story, a few months ago I bought an video card ( Evga nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti 3 gb), took it home, put it in and nothing. Went on the net tried this tried that, Skyped with my brother and best friend  (while they played my favorite game BF3) ,they are very knowledgeable with PC's. No way would this card work. I then went back to Memory Express in Canada where I bought it, they tested it, no good. They replaced it and off I went.
    2hrs later I was home again and put in card, worked great, (for a month). RMA on warranty and sent to California, (at my cost). 10 days later new card arrived, put in my pc and NOTHING. (Are you kidding me!!!), discussed with tech in Cali, he said send back at our cost. Sounds good < so off it went. Got it back and this is the second month of using, with no issues.

So I decide I am going to build a new system, I was on a Buy and Sell site and seen an EVGA X79 FTW Mobo brand new in the box for $200.00, I thinking about this and read some reviews, (not as much as I should have),An okay I am going to get this, So I bought this a month ago and last week I bought an EVGA PSU, then this week I bought an Intel I7-4820K  3.7Ghz 10mb cache. then yesterday I bought a Fractal Design tower. 

I have been trying to get this mother board to boot, NO WAY. FF code everytime, Checked and rechecked plugs, Cpu chip, changed power supplys, pulled out Cemos battery (Multiple times) and main power and let it sit over night. I have been looking on internet for more ideas. I did not change out the cpu, This is not a cheap item to have a spare and the nearest one would be 2 hour drive away.

So now what, send it to Cali, then they send me another one and it does not work. I guess I`ll have to, because I don`t have another 300 bucks for a good X79 motherboard.
    Sorry my thread is so long, but I am very Frustrated at EVGA. What would you Do?

Ttweaker

The reason why your board didn't work is because the BIOs on the FTW is not compatible with the Ivy Bridge Chips, your 4820 is to new for the BIOs, they are updating it now and that one should be out shortly. You will have to contact support and ask for a BIOs Chip so you can swap the chips out for the new BIOs and be able to run the board then. It is not the boards fault there, its the BIOs. Hopefully the rest of the board works well for you.

Personally, I would have saved and bought a DARK, that is ready for you CPU. They seem to be running good, few troubles. I have a Sandy Bridge E chip and it has been great, just the board this time is giving me the FF code.

And by the way EVGA, I got the FF code a few times today, had to power off and turn back on to get it to boot, took a few minutes for the FF code to go away. Would there be a way to do an advance RMA at no cost to me? I am a poor college student and each time I ship the board, it is a tank of gas or food for a couple weeks. Can't afford another round of shipping and a bit over a week down time. Please Help.

ttweaker
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/17 17:19:57 (permalink)
    Well Thanks for the info, I'll have to see if they would send me a chip.
    WUHS09
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Getting an FF code almost everytime I go to turn the computer on 2013/10/22 22:10:45 (permalink)
    Okay so I guess no help from EVGA on this even though I have tested it outside the case and all? Should I take the CPU out and recheck the pins then? And if one is bent, then what to do? Getting tired of trying to boot it three times and getting the FF code and then it boots. It has gotten bad again lately.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile