EVGA

Helpful ReplyGeForce GT 520 Problem

Author
PPhungraksakiat
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/10/10 10:55:48 (permalink)
I have just installed a new EVGA GeForce 520 1024 MB DDR3 into my motherboard. My computer boots up and then frozen after it is counting something. Is that because this vdo card is not compatible to my motherboard or else? Please help! Thanks
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/10/10 12:38:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Hello, there are some possible compatibility issues, but not that many.  What motherboard do you have, and if this was a prebuilt PC, what is the make and model?  Also, what exactly is on screen when you are getting this freeze?
Feel free to reply here as there are many people going through these forums helping others out, both EVGA reps and enthusiasts.  EVGA for the most part has a helpful and fairly tight knit group here.  You could PM me in the forums, or email me directly at daveb@evga.com
PPhungraksakiat
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/10/16 10:16:59 (permalink)
Thank you Dave.

Sorry for replying lately. My computer is totally dead now so I have to use my friend computer to follow up.

My motherboard is Intel 955Xbk. It stops when it is counting something and show "EB" on the black screen. I need to change the vdo card because when I boot up the screen is not working but I heard the windows start up sound so I think the system is ok but somehow the old vdo is not working properly. I also took out a CMOS battery and wait a minute to put it back but did not solve the problem so I decided to change the vdo card. However the system is frozen.

Thank you again Dave for your kindly reply. 
PPhungraksakiat
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/10/18 09:46:02 (permalink)
The whole screen is black only show EB on the screen.
PPhungraksakiat
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/10/18 10:23:13 (permalink)
My computer freezes during POST and POST code is EB then stop. 

I do not know what to do now. 
englehmj
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 168
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/10/18 16:43:15 (permalink)
PPhungraksakiat

My computer freezes during POST and POST code is EB then stop. 

I do not know what to do now. 

I don't know if it helps or not, but according to Intel's website, a Bios error of "EB" indicates "Calling Legacy Option ROMs".  Link Here.  

After doing a little digging, it appears that this code is related to add in cards such as you GPU and or memory card readers.  I have found a few online forums where unplugging a memory card reader solved the problem.  Here is one of them.

It also looks like several people on the same forums may have cured this by switching their IDE/AHCI settings in the BIOS.  I would try removing everything from the MOBO except the CPU, RAM, and graphics card.  See if you can boot with that.  If you can then get into the BIOS, you may may want to try disabling any legacy options.

If I am reading your posts correctly, it looks like you tried a new 520 graphics card, it did not work so you put in the old one after clearing your BIOS (by pulling the battery) and now it will not work either.  Is this correct?  This may just be the motherboard going bad and losing the ability to communicate with the PCI's.

Lian Li PC011D XL | EK-Quantum Reflection D5 D-RGB Front Distribution Plate | EK CoolStream 360 PE and XE Radiators |  EVGA Supernova T2 100W PSU | Custom Cable Mod Cables and Lian Li Strimer Plus | Acer Predator X27 4K 144Hz HDR LCD | EVGA Z490 Dark KINGPIN | Intel i9 10900K | EK Quantum Velocity Nickel+Plexi CPU Block | Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB | EVGA RTX2080 Super FTW3 | EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB Nickel+Plexi GPU Block | 2x1GB Samsung NVMe Drives | EK-Nickel Black Torque Fittings and 16mm Hard Tubing | 10xEK-Vardar EVO 120mm D-RGB Fans
Heatware
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/10/21 11:19:41 (permalink)
I would advise against changing IDE to AHCI, as 1) your board might not support it, and 2)changing it once the OS is loaded pretty much guarantees that the system won't boot properly.

Also this chipset was from an era that had some noted compatibility issues with Fermi cards.  Most of those issues were resolved with a BIOS update, I would try that first, followed by a chipset driver update.
What power supply do you have?
Provided your PSU is adequate, you disable the onboard in BIOS and/or removed the drivers from the original, update BIOS and update chipset drivers, you should be good to go, if you are not, then it is likely there is a compatibility issue due to this being a VERY old chipset.
jomarle55
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/10/21 15:52:30 (permalink)
I had the same problem, Check to see if the card is fitted correctly in the slot. I thought mine was, turned out it wasnt. Mine would freeze with lil pixels and dots everywhere. Really frustrating. turns out, just wasnt fitted in slot properly. Go to nvidia for driver  updates, Ive had my card for over a year now, And am thinking of upgrading to something maybe a 660. This is my first computer i built,I dont know alot of tech terms, But i do know evga nvidia geforce is the way to go. the 520,is a good card, and it has served its purpose in my system.
PPhungraksakiat
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/11/19 23:12:30 (permalink)
Thank you englehmj, jomarle55 and Dave. 

I need to change BIOS setting and it can boot to Windows. However I have a new problem. After I open and go to Windows for a while, the screen freeze and system halted. The screen shows like mosaic and stop. Sometime when I surf the Internet, sometime when I plug in my ipod and windows start itunes.

Any advises would help? Thank again 
PPhungraksakiat
Re:GeForce GT 520 Problem 2012/11/19 23:52:49 (permalink)
I have modified BIOS (Drive Configuration) ATA/IDE mode to Legacy instead of enhanced. Also increase Hard disk delay from [5] to [10] so my computer would boot to Windows. However the screen would be frozen and show mosaic if I plug in ipod and it start itunes or somehow when I surf the web for a while. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile