GameTrailers shuts down after 13-year run

Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2016/02/12 04:47:10 (permalink)

After 13 years, GameTrailers is closing down today.

When GameTrailers was founded in 2002, internet video was a revolutionary concept. YouTube wouldn’t be founded for another three years; consumer live streaming was nine years away. Back then, online game journalism was still dominated by text articles and static imagery. The most prestigious coverage still happened in print. If you wanted to watch a show about video games, you had to watch it on a special TV station that had 10 shows.

GameTrailers helped change all that. Today, game journalism is dominated by video: trailers, live gameplay, Let’s Plays, and news shows. Now there are millions of hours of content available at any time on your PC, your game console, your TV, and your phone.

We’re proud we helped bring this world into being. That is the legacy of GameTrailers. We're grateful to all of our fans who helped make us successful. Thank you for your continued support over the years. It has been an adventure.

https://www.facebook.com/gametrailers/posts/10153542220089285?

7 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: GameTrailers shuts down after 13-year run 2016/02/12 05:15:31 (permalink)
    Long run ........

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: GameTrailers shuts down after 13-year run 2016/02/12 12:26:40 (permalink)
    Sad thing is I don't think they were marketed properly at all cause up until now I never heard of them.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GameTrailers shuts down after 13-year run 2016/02/12 13:41:45 (permalink)
    Killmur
    Sad thing is I don't think they were marketed properly at all cause up until now I never heard of them.

I agree with that statement ----

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: GameTrailers shuts down after 13-year run 2016/02/12 15:39:02 (permalink)
    Killmur

This was definitely true. GT was owned by Vivendi and run by MTV who had no idea how to market the medium. They were incompetent in getting sponsors and the shows had very little to no funding. Eventually GT was sold to DEFY who pretty much did not care much about them. So many great shows and talented people came from GT. Many whom I still follow after they've left .

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: GameTrailers shuts down after 13-year run 2016/02/12 18:21:53 (permalink)
    Good riddance. The nickname for that domain was consoletrailers and for good reason, it was simply a shill domain for console games. When they had original content their ignorance  to anything outside of big budget console games was embarassing. The people they had as the face of the domain like Geoff Keighley who are notorious shills that fake gamers simply exploiting idiots that subscribe to the gamer culture.

Go look up Dorito Gate or any other gaming memes with Geoff. He's a great representation of the whole gametrailers.com business model.
    MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1285
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GameTrailers shuts down after 13-year run 2016/02/12 21:21:15 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JamesL
    Killmur

This was definitely true. GT was owned by Vivendi and run by MTV who had no idea how to market the medium. They were incompetent in getting sponsors and the shows had very little to no funding. Eventually GT was sold to DEFY who pretty much did not care much about them. So many great shows and talented people came from GT. Many whom I still follow after they've left .

Reminds me of TechTV
    Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: GameTrailers shuts down after 13-year run 2016/02/16 18:37:04 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    EVGATech_JamesL
    Killmur

Reminds me of TechTV

Oh god I forgot about them. I remember when ComCast(Was it them?) came in and bought TechTV out and destroyed the network by getting rid of people they didn't want around, canning so many shows and running nothing but reruns on it. What wast is it they renamed TechTV to?

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile