GTX 980 Ti Hybrid cooler orientation

Author
Dschijn
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 271
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2016/02/09 01:30:27 (permalink)
With the shroud removed, would it be possible to change the orientation of the water cooler by 180°? It seems like the frontplate has a part that might collide with the tubes!?
So the tube would point to the PCIe slot. This would be interessting for a setup with little room for the tubes on their original orientation and the use of a riser cable.

5 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Hybrid cooler orientation 2016/02/09 05:16:55 (permalink)
    I doubt it would work without risking your warranty for 3 reasons:

1: if you remove the shroud, the fan is worthless. It cant direct the air like it is supposed to. Removing the shroud and leaving it off will cause issues. You could cut into the shroud, but you will be charged if you ever have to RMA.

2: the tubes are meant to sit loose and not jammed against a motherboard. For it to work properly, you will have to take #1 into mind.

3: if you do decide to remove or cut into the shroud, and decide to place the tubes against the motherboard, you will be putting undue stress against the GPU core with the angles you would need to get the tubes in there.

They do try to have you place the radiator above the pump so that air bubbles go into the radiator and do not get trapped in the pump. If you have an inverted motherboard tray, thiswouldn't be an issue at all.
    Dschijn
    iCX Member
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Hybrid cooler orientation 2016/02/09 05:30:55 (permalink)
    Thx for your reply Scarlet-Tech! :D
    1: With a 2nd shroud that I cut, the original one will not be affected
    2/3: They will be loose, that is my intention of the question. The case is tight and the tubes would jam against the case in the stock orientation. Because the GPU will not be in the MB slot, but used with a riser away from the MB, there is nothing bending the tubes.

So, in general I just want to know if it i the frontplate might interfear interfere?

Bottomline would be that I would take of the shroud, take of the cooler and put it back on. That doesn't void the warrenty, right?!
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Hybrid cooler orientation 2016/02/09 10:22:03 (permalink)
    It does not violate warranty to remove the shroud so long as you do not physically damage the cooler or the card. However, if the changes you make do physically damage the card immediately or years down the road, you may be penalized or denied warranty. Penalized would be them asking for $100 (or whatever) to replace a broken shroud. Denied would be the card overheated and fried or something.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Hybrid cooler orientation 2016/02/09 10:58:07 (permalink)
    Yes, as BSMEGREG stated, you can remove the shroud, especially if you have a spare one for use. As long as the original shroud is available and you keep all of thepunting hardware, you should be able to do this.
    Dschijn
    iCX Member
    Re: GTX 980 Ti Hybrid cooler orientation 2016/02/09 11:12:18 (permalink)
    Ok, thx!
    But back to my main question… can the tubes point into the other direction without colliding with the vertical parts of the frontplate (cooler is turned by 180° facing into the other direction)?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile