EVGA

AnsweredGTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 18
Author
aceisme
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/10 21:17:09 (permalink)
Sajin

If that is how you want it set. sure.

So what are the PSU PEG1&2 figures? They are the only ones more different than your recomanded values? 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49187
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/10 21:22:01 (permalink)
aceisme
Sajin

If that is how you want it set. sure.

So what are the PSU PEG1&2 figures? They are the only ones more different than your recomanded values? 

How much power the card is allowed to pull from the pci-e cables.
DeathAngel74
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1263
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/10 21:37:52 (permalink)
I was helping a friend out with his 980ti classy. This may be useful. One of our goals was to eliminate the need for PX16 or MSI AB.

Attached Image(s)

Carnage specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING | Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7820x | Memory Channels#1 and #3: Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz | Memory Channels#2 and #4: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200 MHz | GPU: eVGA 1080 TI FTW3 Hybrid | PhysX: eVGA 1070 SC2 | SSD#1: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB m.2 nVME(Windows/boot) | SSD#2&3: OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATAx2(RAID0-Games) | SSD#4: ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SATA(Storage) | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB 360mm AIO LCS | Case: Thermaltake X31 RGB | Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1000W Titanium | Keyboard: Razer Ornato Chroma | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Chroma | Mousepad: Razer Firefly Chroma | Operating System#1: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate X64 | Operating System#2: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (3DS Homebrew/Build Environment)
thair7391
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/14 05:06:27 (permalink)
Sajin
thair7391
Final question; since I'm altering a "percentage" for power limit, will my card just draw more power when the clock demands it all the way up to that point, or will the "power target" field in apps like Precision now be increased from the usual 106% to a higher number that I can change as needed?

It will now be increased to 120% from 106% and you can change it as needed. Also power limit needs to be...

Power Limit:

Not 100000 on the first one.

Ok.... So got my power limit increased, and my slider in Afterburner goes to 125% now instead of 106%. But it's not allowing me anymore increase in core clock than before; I noticed also that my voltage on the core is also not increasing anymore than it was, and I clearly need this to gain some more stability. I'm getting +135 on the core right now stable, which is on top of the already +109 the card is stock with so all in all about +244, which isn't bad; it's in line with what my 970's were doing. But I could achieve this current increase on stock BIOS no problems and the power limit increase isn't enough.

How would I go about changing the voltage for this card (the eVGA 980 Ti SC+) to gain some more stability on about an additional 75Mhz core increase? I'm comfortable increasing up to 1.3 - 1.315 V on the core, but not anymore with my stock ACX 2.0+ cooler on there; I may water-cool if I have success in increasing clock and voltage and see the need for it. I usually turn my fan up to at least 70 - 80% when I game anyways so I'm okay with accounting for the extra heat that the additional 1V could bring.

To summarize; I'd like an additional 500 - 800 mv added to my core from the default allowance of 87mv . Is this something that can change and be icnreased with the slider in an OC application as well like power limit? Or must it be modified statically in the BIOS tables?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/14 14:16:06 (permalink)
thair7391
Sajin
thair7391
Final question; since I'm altering a "percentage" for power limit, will my card just draw more power when the clock demands it all the way up to that point, or will the "power target" field in apps like Precision now be increased from the usual 106% to a higher number that I can change as needed?

It will now be increased to 120% from 106% and you can change it as needed. Also power limit needs to be...

Power Limit:

Ok.... So got my power limit increased, and my slider in Afterburner goes to 125% now instead of 106%. But it's not allowing me anymore increase in core clock than before; I noticed also that my voltage on the core is also not increasing anymore than it was, and I clearly need this to gain some more stability. I'm getting +135 on the core right now stable, which is on top of the already +109 the card is stock with so all in all about +244, which isn't bad; it's in line with what my 970's were doing. But I could achieve this current increase on stock BIOS no problems and the power limit increase isn't enough.

How would I go about changing the voltage for this card (the eVGA 980 Ti SC+) to gain some more stability on about an additional 75Mhz core increase? I'm comfortable increasing up to 1.3 - 1.315 V on the core, but not anymore with my stock ACX 2.0+ cooler on there; I may water-cool if I have success in increasing clock and voltage and see the need for it. I usually turn my fan up to at least 70 - 80% when I game anyways so I'm okay with accounting for the extra heat that the additional 1V could bring.

To summarize; I'd like an additional 500 - 800 mv added to my core from the default allowance of 87mv . Is this something that can change and be icnreased with the slider in an OC application as well like power limit? Or must it be modified statically in the BIOS tables?

Statically. Max for your card is 1.28v. The following will need to be changed inside the vbios to make the card run at 1.28v...

thair7391
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/14 14:24:45 (permalink)
Sajin
thair7391
Sajin
thair7391

Power Limit:

Statically. Max for your card is 1.28v. The following will need to be changed inside the vbios to make the card run at 1.28v...

Perfect! That really should be all I need to just go for it on my own at this point and really see what I can hit. Do you have any reservations with setting it all the way to 1.28 considering I'm using the ACX2.0+ cooler that came with the card? As I said, I'm ok with turning the fan up when in games. I'm staying pretty cool under load currently already, between 56 and 63 C. I think that's plenty of room to increase voltage that much; considering I've another 30% fan speed to compensate if needed.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/14 14:27:01 (permalink)
thair7391
Perfect! That really should be all I need to just go for it on my own at this point and really see what I can hit. Do you have any reservations with setting it all the way to 1.28 considering I'm using the ACX2.0+ cooler that came with the card? As I said, I'm ok with turning the fan up when in games. I'm staying pretty cool under load currently already, between 56 and 63 C. I think that's plenty of room to increase voltage that much; considering I've another 30% fan speed to compensate if needed.

Sounds like you'll be fine. 
thair7391
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/14 21:29:55 (permalink)
Sajin
thair7391

No luck :(

When I set that voltage table you showed to 1.28, my card was constantly staying at that voltage, but as soon as I launched a 3D application (Unigine Heaven in this case), I get a crash, black screen, then, the weird part: The benchmark continues/restarts but the card got clocked down all the way to 565 Mhz and wouldn't change!!! It's like some internal throttling mechanism and not thermal throttling because I was at 48 C.

What's going on here? Rebooting was the only way to reset the GPU to not throttle at 565 Mhz anymore until I flashed my last BIOS back. DO the cards have something built-in to prevent a voltage increase of that magnitude? Because my card did NOT like it lol
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/15 01:26:14 (permalink)
thair7391
Sajin
thair7391

When I set that voltage table you showed to 1.28, my card was constantly staying at that voltage, but as soon as I launched a 3D application (Unigine Heaven in this case), I get a crash, black screen, then, the weird part: The benchmark continues/restarts but the card got clocked down all the way to 565 Mhz and wouldn't change!!! It's like some internal throttling mechanism and not thermal throttling because I was at 48 C.

What's going on here? Rebooting was the only way to reset the GPU to not throttle at 565 Mhz anymore until I flashed my last BIOS back. DO the cards have something built-in to prevent a voltage increase of that magnitude? Because my card did NOT like it lol

Sounds like a unstable overclock.
johnksss
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/15 01:30:27 (permalink)
thair7391
Sajin
thair7391

You don't necessarily need to reboot, you only need disable and reenable the card or cards.

MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY-X  | I9-12900K | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6400Mhz | 1600W EVGA T2 | EVGA 3090 K|ngP|n | Custom Water Cooling Loop | Praxis Wet Bench SX Pro - Flat Edition

HWBOT-PROFILE
thair7391
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/15 07:17:12 (permalink)
Sajin
thair7391
Sajin
thair7391

Sounds like a unstable overclock.

Really?? I just find that strange that at stock power and voltage limit settings, I can add +130 MHz to the stock 1109 MHz core clock with ZERO issues or crashing or artifacts. It will boost up to 1445 with that additional 130MHz just fine and not exceed a voltage of 1.215. I find it strange that increasing the voltage and forcing it constantly to 1.28V doesn't even allow for an extra 30 MHz stable. I would expect that much of an increase to provide at least 60-75 Mhz more on the core, if not 125 MHz. Is this an unrealistic expectation?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/15 08:43:01 (permalink)
thair7391
Really?? I just find that strange that at stock power and voltage limit settings, I can add +130 MHz to the stock 1109 MHz core clock with ZERO issues or crashing or artifacts. It will boost up to 1445 with that additional 130MHz just fine and not exceed a voltage of 1.215. I find it strange that increasing the voltage and forcing it constantly to 1.28V doesn't even allow for an extra 30 MHz stable. I would expect that much of an increase to provide at least 60-75 Mhz more on the core, if not 125 MHz. Is this an unrealistic expectation?

Is the card still boosting to 1445 at 1.28v?
thair7391
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/15 08:55:23 (permalink)
Sajin
thair7391

Here's the thing, when I set the voltage to 1.28 as you explained in BIOS Tweaker, when I'm running on that BIOS, as soon as I launch ANYTHING in 3D; a game, Heaven benchmark etc, the screen immediately goes blank like the drivers crashing, but instead of crashing like normal, the 3D application will resume, but running at a MUCH lower frame rate and I can visibly see that my card is running at 565 MHz so the voltage change in the BIOS causes my card to just completely throttle down like 75% and it stays there unless I reboot or disable and re-enable the card from device manager. As SOON as the 3D app launches and the boost ramps up, it immediately fails and then resumes at the 565 MHz clock speed. So I don't get a chance to see what it's boosting up to, only that it's remaining at 1.28V constantly, even when it throttles down to 565 MHz. It's weird. I've taken my stock BIOS, modified it with your power limit increase suggestions to 300W. I had no problems there. On that BIOS, I can make changes like I can on stock and make the same increases to core clock but with higher power limit, no issues. But when I change the voltage to 1.28 like you described and flash that BIOS, that's when the crash/pause/resume at 565 MHz happens. I haven't been able to get it to do anything differently than that with the voltage modification. Even if I have zero overclock added and default settings through AB, it does the same thing.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/15 09:13:29 (permalink)
thair7391
Sajin
thair7391

Here's the thing, when I set the voltage to 1.28 as you explained in BIOS Tweaker, when I'm running on that BIOS, as soon as I launch ANYTHING in 3D; a game, Heaven benchmark etc, the screen immediately goes blank like the drivers crashing, but instead of crashing like normal, the 3D application will resume, but running at a MUCH lower frame rate and I can visibly see that my card is running at 565 MHz so the voltage change in the BIOS causes my card to just completely throttle down like 75% and it stays there unless I reboot or disable and re-enable the card from device manager. As SOON as the 3D app launches and the boost ramps up, it immediately fails and then resumes at the 565 MHz clock speed. So I don't get a chance to see what it's boosting up to, only that it's remaining at 1.28V constantly, even when it throttles down to 565 MHz. It's weird. I've taken my stock BIOS, modified it with your power limit increase suggestions to 300W. I had no problems there. On that BIOS, I can make changes like I can on stock and make the same increases to core clock but with higher power limit, no issues. But when I change the voltage to 1.28 like you described and flash that BIOS, that's when the crash/pause/resume at 565 MHz happens. I haven't been able to get it to do anything differently than that with the voltage modification. Even if I have zero overclock added and default settings through AB, it does the same thing.

It's possible you need higher power table limits to go along with the 1.28v voltage table increase. Try the following...

TDP:

PCIe:

PSU PEG 1:

PSU PEG 2:

Power Limit:

thair7391
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/15 09:27:15 (permalink)
Sajin
thair7391
Sajin
thair7391

It's possible you need higher power table limits to go along with the 1.28v voltage table increase. Try the following...

TDP:

PCIe:

PSU PEG 1:

PSU PEG 2:

Power Limit:

I'll do it when I get home from work; Thank you again for your help!
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/15 09:32:45 (permalink)
thair7391
I'll do it when I get home from work; Thank you again for your help!

No problem. Let me know how it goes. 
curtixman
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/03/16 17:01:59 (permalink)
Everything you need to know about how can be found on the first page of this thread;
****!  it keeps removing my link.
All the following pages are requests for various GTX 9-- series GPU's.

overclock.net/t/1573308/nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request
post edited by curtixman - 2016/03/16 17:04:03
alexl1984
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/10 12:49:44 (permalink)
What is the best bios for an EVGA 980Ti Classified on Air cooling, stock bios version 84.00.41.00.90?

Thanks
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/10 15:12:00 (permalink)
alexl1984
What is the best bios for an EVGA 980Ti Classified on Air cooling, stock bios version 84.00.41.00.90?

Thanks

You should be able to find everything you need here.
alexl1984
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/11 09:03:28 (permalink)
Sajin
alexl1984

Thanks

You should be able to find everything you need .

Thanks.   I tried the GTX980Ti_ClassyOC bios and it doesnt seem as stable when overclokcing as the default one.  I have read through quite a few pages of the thread but not all 2000+ pages.
I can't seem to find a specific page or info on Classified Air only bios.  From what I have been playing with more volts doesnt seem to help but I could be missing something - the reason I would like to test and compare others
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/11 14:42:45 (permalink)
alexl1984
Sajin
alexl1984

Thanks

You should be able to find everything you need .

Thanks.   I tried the GTX980Ti_ClassyOC bios and it doesnt seem as stable when overclokcing as the default one.  I have read through quite a few pages of the thread but not all 2000+ pages.
I can't seem to find a specific page or info on Classified Air only bios.  From what I have been playing with more volts doesnt seem to help but I could be missing something - the reason I would like to test and compare others

Adding lots of voltage isn't going to help your overclock much on air. Maxwell overclocks best when cold with moderate voltage increases.
kwkrnu72
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 598
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/12 20:02:43 (permalink)

Adding lots of voltage isn't going to help your overclock much on air. Maxwell overclocks best when cold with moderate voltage increases.

This ^^^

Buying a Classy / KPE and keeping them on air, is like buying a Ferrari, and only driving it in school zones.
636F716448774C0
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/13 10:29:33 (permalink)
Hello i was folowing this posts an i have a question is an bios overvolting hack for Bios Version: 84.00.41.00.90 existing ? Thanks 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/13 11:49:20 (permalink)
Sniperguru
Hello i was folowing this posts an i have a question is an bios overvolting hack for Bios Version: 84.00.41.00.90 existing ? Thanks 

It's listed on the first page.
636F716448774C0
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/13 12:04:49 (permalink)
Thanks for the fast answer but when i flahing both of this bios on my evga gtx 980 ti sc+ it will chrash my card its not compatible i think 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/13 12:07:29 (permalink)
Sniperguru
Thanks for the fast answer but when i flahing both of this bios on my evga gtx 980 ti sc+ it will chrash my card its not compatible i think 

Crashing when gaming? If yes, then you may need to lower the clocks from 1420 to lower as 1420 may be too high for your card to handle.
636F716448774C0
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/13 12:19:39 (permalink)
No the cart is not booting with this bios from the first page
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/13 15:43:58 (permalink)
Sniperguru
No the cart is not booting with this bios from the first page

Upload your original and I'll make the changes for ya. 
636F716448774C0
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/14 06:50:48 (permalink)
I will have a bios hack that i have the otion of 1,3v that i can get over my 1,5 ghz gpu takt the other thinks are not the problem.
Do you can hack the bios ? 
636F716448774C0
Re: GTX 980 TI BIOS/VOLTAGE HACK 2016/04/14 06:55:14 (permalink)
This is my bios working and editing by me i have disabling the boost clock Version :  84.00.41.00.90 for evga gtx 980 ti sc+ 

post edited by Sniperguru - 2016/04/14 09:05:11
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 18
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile