EVGA

GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder

Page: << < ..1617181920 > Showing page 19 of 20
Author
iBruce
  • Total Posts : 59
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/03/07 19:40:29 (permalink)
980 K|ngp|n Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H6XkYIt5q4

"Watch closely as we place the Kingpin card on our visually exciting and also spinning handsome carousel"

I understood every word.

Yusta Yoking. 

EVGA 980 Kingpin makes its appearance at PAX East 2015, with Luke from Linus Tech Tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GUVMCdwhc

Where is the silly embed button??? 
post edited by iBruce - 2015/03/08 11:22:16
lorenzoo612
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/03/09 19:29:31 (permalink)
Will evga perform an RMA for coil whine? I know some manufactures dont. This is literally the 1st graphics card I have had with coil whine which is highly upsetting since it's also the most expensive card I have ever bought! Its not as bad as others that I have heard online but anytime I turn on a video in my web browser/desktop or play a game or stress the GPU I can hear it well over anything else in the case. It's most annoying while watching a movie without headphones and this whine is constantly in the background. I didn't think anything of it (didn't even notice it really) at 1st since I primarily use my computer with headphones but this new build I intentionally made sure to get a super quiet case/fans/components. It really ruins the movie watching experience when the computer is in the same room. I hope evga will replace this unit for me. It doesn't seem to be a widespread issue or I am sure more people would've been complaining on this forum. 
WhiteDragon_
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1190
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/03/09 21:03:50 (permalink)
Yes they will -- just give them a call and they will take care of you :)
post edited by WhiteDragon_ - 2015/03/10 23:19:30

Dimastech Easy V2.5   |   EVGA Z690 Dark KP   |   12900KS   |   G.Skill Trident Z5 6400   |   EVGA RTX 3080Ti  |   Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series   |   FireCuda 530 M.2   |   Corsair AX1200i   |   Alienware 34"   |   Windows 10 Pro   |   Basilisk Ultimate   |   BlackWidow v3 TenKeyless

| 

Affiliate Code: 6GUDAW6JKZ    
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=79888
Crimson AL
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 434
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/03/10 20:08:36 (permalink)

dual109
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/03/11 08:48:07 (permalink)
Crimson AL
New KP bios..bottom of page:  

Or top of page here :) :  

Yeah tried it on my kpe but artifacts at same voltage as the previous bios,  a few others are reporting you need more voltage to get same clocks as previous bios which on air isn't what you want.  I found this as well so back to orginal air/h20

veniaminshows
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/03/15 17:35:18 (permalink)

Slinky PC (HWBOT TEAM H2O vs. LN2) Slinky Supercomputer ~ EVGA GTX 980 K|NGP|N HYDRO 4-Way SLI
post edited by veniaminshows - 2015/03/15 17:49:14

Slinky Supercomuter V4 Classified HYDRO
BitFenix Shinobi HF Extreme Watercooled Edition Performance Gaming Chassis
Core i7 5960X / Cuplex Kryos XT Series - .925 Silver Edition
Rampage V Extreme /  EK-FB KIT ASUS R5E
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 (3300MHz) / 8 sticks Koolance RAM-33
4-Way SLI 980 KingPin / EK 980 KPE
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/03/15 17:38:00 (permalink)
Not enough posts for links yet bud.
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/03/16 05:02:32 (permalink)
iBruce
980 K|ngp|n Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H6XkYIt5q4

"Watch closely as we place the Kingpin card on our visually exciting and also spinning handsome carousel"

I understood every word.

Yusta Yoking. 
EVGA 980 Kingpin makes its appearance at PAX East 2015, with Luke from Linus Tech Tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GUVMCdwhc

Where is the silly embed button??? 

I can't look any more,  phenomenal card...
Did you saw on video, everything is there, EVBot, package content, Probe IT Connectors.
Probe IT Connector are big advantage for hardware and useful and for professional overclockers and for people who want to check 100% accurate voltage. My is still sealed. But it's time to EVGA produce 1000-2000 new EVBot X or EVBot II, or EVBot Pro.
Advanced version for motherboards and graphic cards.
As gadget for me is little EVBot nicer and than ASUS Tool for Rampage series, I don't know name of their tool, and I don't like because ASUS changed their voltage points on motherboards and now you can't measure nice, you need to hold with something constantly...
Very inconvenient to hold voltmeter on motherboard and do something on computer.
That's what I talk about and think on ASUS, if you use some tool use that several years on every product as EVGA use EZ Voltage Read Points and Probe IT on high end graphic cards and motherboards. Same connector on all of them, no need to change every 2-3 years something like that.
For now EVGA GTX 980 K|NGP|N Classified is best packed hardware on the world!
I saw, customer get two boxes, one with EVGA sign and inside is fabric sealed black box as we see on EVGA Online Shop. Compare with other cards as some special edition of few decades old Whiskey for presidents and elite compare with cheap booze.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/03/16 05:04:50

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

iBruce
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/02 06:38:20 (permalink)
Hello Jacob,

Will the 980 Kingpin be available at Amazon this month?

Thank you...
HotRats1522
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/02 07:10:57 (permalink)
These look sick!
nycx360
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 212
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/02 08:45:54 (permalink)
Guys should check the forums on overclock and kingpin prior to consideration of these cards...
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/02 09:12:19 (permalink)
nycx360
Guys should check the forums on overclock and kingpin prior to consideration of these cards...

I see a lot of complaints that high voltage is causing issues on air. The card was built for subzero, and seems to artifact when hitting the 70's. I ordered 3 of them and the tools for subzero cooling, so we'll see how it goes.

As for air cooling, it has to come with a form of cooler, but it isn't optimal for air for a reason. The higher stock clocks are what people want, and the cool leds, but the gpu itself and the hardware are meant for extreme cooling. They get hot when they aren't properly cooled, so one must expect this issue over time.
Malarapvp
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/02 09:13:03 (permalink)
nycx360

Very helpful forums, but most of the problems Im reading about over their stems from the fact they are keeping these bad boys on air. And they just perform subpar on air compared to other 980's by design. Same thing with the 780ti kingpins. These things want to be frozen. Or at the very least watercooled before an investment in these cards pays off.
     Also most over their are elitists with respects to overclocking. ON air my kingping can do 1556 boost clock in games and I can briefly run 1605 before high temps cause major artifacting while benching. Those are very good numbers. Certainly higher than any but the most golden supreme sample of a reference or even SC card can do, but over there they'd scoff at such numbers. Its not an air card period unless you like the looks of the RGB card for a nice aesthetic for your build. Which is fine. Nothing wrong for paying for looks if thats your thing. But put these things under water or freeze em and youll get the best numbers for a 980. Period.  Since it was released so close to the Titan X release they're suffering buyers remorse and the time for the growing pains of such a unique card to be worked out just wasnt there like it was for the 780ti kingpin. 

nycx360
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/02 09:56:59 (permalink)

Scarlet-Tech
nycx360

I see a lot of complaints that high voltage is causing issues on air. The card was built for subzero, and seems to artifact when hitting the 70's. I ordered 3 of them and the tools for subzero cooling, so we'll see how it goes.

As for air cooling, it has to come with a form of cooler, but it isn't optimal for air for a reason. The higher stock clocks are what people want, and the cool leds, but the gpu itself and the hardware are meant for extreme cooling. They get hot when they aren't properly cooled, so one must expect this issue over time.

I am waiting on blocks for mine still, it's kinda of annoying to see titan x blocks out on launch day yet kpe blocks are still on the soon (weeks away). My cards run mid 1500s and it's hard to keep them cool without water, they also require heck lot more voltage to get anywhere vs ref, strix, g1 whatevers. I know they will clock really high once on water but until then it's just like getting the shaft. Seeing the quiet all over kpe forums doesn't help either. I guess we paid for an over designed fancy looking air cooler that doesn't do much. I did not expect this card to go sky high on air, but having a 100mhz bump that requires additional voltage, bringing my sli (2 slot spacing between) temps to around 80c with 100% fan is disappointing. 
post edited by nycx360 - 2015/04/02 10:00:51
lex_lutha111384
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/06 18:28:41 (permalink)
just ordered mine today! I bought it because i was sick of sli stuttering and sli issues. So I decided to run my BenQXL2720Z with a big fat 980 KP! cant wait
iBruce
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/06 19:40:56 (permalink)
nycx360

Scarlet-Tech
nycx360

I am waiting on blocks for mine still, it's kinda of annoying to see titan x blocks out on launch day yet kpe blocks are still on the soon (weeks away). My cards run mid 1500s and it's hard to keep them cool without water, they also require heck lot more voltage to get anywhere vs ref, strix, g1 whatevers. I know they will clock really high once on water but until then it's just like getting the shaft. Seeing the quiet all over kpe forums doesn't help either. I guess we paid for an over designed fancy looking air cooler that doesn't do much. I did not expect this card to go sky high on air, but having a 100mhz bump that requires additional voltage, bringing my sli (2 slot spacing between) temps to around 80c with 100% fan is disappointing. 

Geez, that doesn't sound very nice at all, I'm buying the 980 KPE for its overall efficiency (and good looks), not trying for super high clocks, really wanted a card I could run out of the box with extremely low volts, much less than reference cards, assumed the KPE GPUs have been binned as super efficient silicon, so can't it be run stock at low low volts?

Or are we talking about two separate scenarios here?
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/06 19:50:45 (permalink)
iBruce

Geez, that doesn't sound very nice at all, I'm buying the 980 KPE for its overall efficiency (and good looks), not trying for super high clocks, really wanted a card I could run out of the box with extremely low volts, much less than reference cards, assumed the KPE GPUs have been binned as super efficient silicon, so can't it be run stock at low low volts?

Technically, you are looking at different scenarios. The card will run at stock voltage and that is the only guarantee, but it is MEANT to be really cool if not completely frozen.. If you are only going for efficiency, you should be spending money on the 980 FTW.  Yes, the cooler is slightly more plain, but you are only gaining LEDs, and a few FPS for the substantially higher cost.

The GPU is binned to run at exactly stock clocks and voltage, but you also have to imagine that these cards are heavily overclocked from the factory and have hot equipment on them that needs the cooling so it can really shine it's best.  If it is allowed to get up to 70c, some people are seeing throttling.  I am not sure if that is with extra overclocks or what. 

If you are just looking for the looks, they may release the 980 K|ngp|n reference clock at a later date.  Basically, the card couldn't run at the specified clocks so they set it to NVidia speeds and left it there.  They did that with the 780ti K|ngp|n Reference Edition.
iBruce
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/06 20:10:38 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
iBruce

Technically, you are looking at different scenarios. The card will run at stock voltage and that is the only guarantee, but it is MEANT to be really cool if not completely frozen.. If you are only going for efficiency, you should be spending money on the 980 FTW.  Yes, the cooler is slightly more plain, but you are only gaining LEDs, and a few FPS for the substantially higher cost.

The GPU is binned to run at exactly stock clocks and voltage, but you also have to imagine that these cards are heavily overclocked from the factory and have hot equipment on them that needs the cooling so it can really shine it's best.  If it is allowed to get up to 70c, some people are seeing throttling.  I am not sure if that is with extra overclocks or what. 

If you are just looking for the looks, they may release the 980 K|ngp|n reference clock at a later date.  Basically, the card couldn't run at the specified clocks so they set it to NVidia speeds and left it there.  They did that with the 780ti K|ngp|n Reference Edition.

Thank you for the welcomed response.

Can I simply drop the heavy out of the box factory overclock on the 980 KP down to reference levels when it arrives for when I'm working and mimic the power input/heat output of what would be a 980 Reference KingPin card if in fact it is ever produced?

And can I then increase clocks for my seldom gaming sessions later on or create two profiles using the three bios switches/modes?

Thanks again.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/06 20:22:41 (permalink)
You could definitely get someone to modify a bios for you to run lower clocks, but the voltage would be the same. The card has 3 bios positions, so you could leave position 2 stock and have position 1 with slightly lower clocks. Doing this, the card may still boost itself beyond what you set it to, because Nvidia gpu boost 2.0 will try to give it a nudge on its own.

If you really want the 980 KP, just use it as it and don't worry about lowering clocks. To get it cooler, just set a slightly more aggressive fan speed, and let it push the air through the card quicker :-).
dual109
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 04:10:13 (permalink)
I've had a 980 KPE for about a month running on air and I can concur with some of the info in here in the posts regarding performance on air, I've resigned to the fact that on air these cards work best with lower voltages and keeping them cool ideally under 60 degree which is quite manageable on stock volts,  not to sure about the logic though that a higher end cards with superior componetary is more suceptible to heat issues, thought it would be the reverse the cheaper cards wouldn't be able to handle heat as well, anyway I'm by no means an electronic engineer but even though the GPU clocks aren't that great the memory clocks are  insane, not to many reference cards can hit 8500 game stable and on these cards this does translate to performance.  My gaming clocks 1533Mhz@1.2v and mem are using stock OC bios, I found out pretty quick no point in going for a modded bios unless you can put the voltage through the card.  

I'm still in two minds about whether I'll sell it or put it under water but regardless it's definately a fun card to play with and maybe we might see the better optimised bio's in future.

Would I buy another one for gaming, definately not.

Just my two cents worth.
post edited by dual109 - 2015/04/07 04:13:34
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 04:17:38 (permalink)
The components do not make the core cooler. The components only make voltage more manageable and smoother getting to the core. Overclocking the core from stock causes more heat even if more voltage isn't applied, as it has to think faster basically.

Think of it that way.
iBruce
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 05:38:12 (permalink)
dual109
I've had a 980 KPE for about a month running on air and I can concur with some of the info in here in the posts regarding performance on air, I've resigned to the fact that on air these cards work best with lower voltages and keeping them cool ideally under 60 degree which is quite manageable on stock volts,  not to sure about the logic though that a higher end cards with superior componetary is more suceptible to heat issues, thought it would be the reverse the cheaper cards wouldn't be able to handle heat as well, anyway I'm by no means an electronic engineer but even though the GPU clocks aren't that great the memory clocks are  insane, not to many reference cards can hit 8500 game stable and on these cards this does translate to performance.  My gaming clocks 1533Mhz@1.2v and mem are using stock OC bios, I found out pretty quick no point in going for a modded bios unless you can put the voltage through the card.  

I'm still in two minds about whether I'll sell it or put it under water but regardless it's definately a fun card to play with and maybe we might see the better optimised bio's in future.

Would I buy another one for gaming, definately not.

Just my two cents worth.

Thanks for the amazing real world input, there doesn't seem to be any written or video reviews of this card, only unboxings, and I'm sincerely hoping it can run while working all day on lower stock volts, manageable heat on air without the fans ever spinning up. I will have an unobstructed 120mm intaking directly to the card from the chassis front with fresh cold filtered air, but after say 10hours of heat building up, and after reading about the heat issues (only during extreme overclocking), really hope stock temps at idle will remain under the fan ON threshold all day long. When gaming I would expect them to ramp up a little.

Getting excited over the overwhelming size of this card, in this unboxing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7G1M-Hwjc the card seems so extremely large in the guy's hands, at 6inches x 11inches the card will saturate the entire left side window view of my X99 build, which is a good thing, also it will sit just about 1.5inches from the top window, so just underneath the acrylic surface, pure awesomeness with those LEDs set to white. 

Found the 980 KPE for $769 at Newegg today, down by $30. Still waiting to pull the trigger, hesitant over the recent postings.

post edited by iBruce - 2015/04/07 05:46:00
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 05:51:33 (permalink)
I have 3 of the KP's (one on the way) and will be doing stock setup, then water and even Ln2 testing to see the differences. I will try to put up a review of the cards as I go into testing.

Running stock clocks should only cause minimal heat. Most people that run into serious heat issues are trying to overclock like they are running the card inside a freezer.
nycx360
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 06:48:14 (permalink)
  I know both of mine can hit 1700+ on water for a fact (they've done so on universal blocks), but as other mentioned. If you want to slap a high clock on these out of the box and have manageable noise or temps it's just not going to happen. Somehow that's kind of the logic I somewhat expect for such a hefty premium. These cards need to stay under 65c or they start all sorts of artifacts and gets crashy, in my experience. I guess my biggest disappointment isn't in the build quality (which is fing excellent to say the least) but the overall community is not in it like it was for the 780ti kpe. The 980 kpe is one sexy ass card and if your willing to buy it for the looks alone then enjoy it on stock. At stock with no volt increase it will run similar to any other 980. However any slight bump to voltage is going to skyrocket your temps, I am pulling 1.32v under load (dmm measured) and I have temps in the 70-80cs with 100% fan under full load. 1.32v btw is nothing for these cards tbh. People claim to be able to hit high 15s with no voltage bump but I've yet to see a pic of that. I really like the concept of the kpe card and I do like how they look, but I am considering just getting another titan x and just sli that. 
iBruce
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 08:34:45 (permalink)
nycx360
  I know both of mine can hit 1700+ on water for a fact (they've done so on universal blocks), but as other mentioned. If you want to slap a high clock on these out of the box and have manageable noise or temps it's just not going to happen. Somehow that's kind of the logic I somewhat expect for such a hefty premium. These cards need to stay under 65c or they start all sorts of artifacts and gets crashy, in my experience. I guess my biggest disappointment isn't in the build quality (which is fing excellent to say the least) but the overall community is not in it like it was for the 780ti kpe. The 980 kpe is one sexy ass card and if your willing to buy it for the looks alone then enjoy it on stock. At stock with no volt increase it will run similar to any other 980. However any slight bump to voltage is going to skyrocket your temps, I am pulling 1.32v under load (dmm measured) and I have temps in the 70-80cs with 100% fan under full load. 1.32v btw is nothing for these cards tbh. People claim to be able to hit high 15s with no voltage bump but I've yet to see a pic of that. I really like the concept of the kpe card and I do like how they look, but I am considering just getting another titan x and just sli that. 

That's great news, thank you so much.

Lackluster community support, isn’t the 980 KingPin’s fault, it barely got a chance to breathe any life before Titan X was unveiled, and the lack of an EK block has certainly lessened some interest, still this was and still is my choice as “best graphics card” this generation, thinking the 980Ti or 985 version (or whatever they call it) would dump a greater amount of waste heat into my office space and the increased FPS not really worth it for a seldom gamer like myself, for that I’ll happily await the die shrink to 20nm or 16nm and Pascal next year.

I realize it’s a $200 premium for the appearance and increased functionality of this card, but I don’t get a new card every generation or even every year, I’ll keep this 980 KingPin for 2years in a primary rig then 2 more in a secondary rig, and be more than happy to run it stock 90% of the time and certainly find other times to play and enjoy some overclocking just for fun. Adding the EK block? That’s a tough one, I hope it looks really nice, one of my primary colors for this build is gunmetal gray so removing the gorgeous heat sink will take away that aesthetic that works so will with a CaseLabs gunmetal interior.

Haha what if EK created their first gunmetal and nickel water block for this card, guess that would be asking way too much… 
dual109
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 08:40:29 (permalink)
nycx360

No doubt about it card looks and feels great but what I have found is slightest or even substantial increases in voltage don't translsate to extra clocks,a well not on mine anyway.  1.20v I'm at 1533Mhz, I need 1.39v to get it to 1550hz, unmangeable on air even with fans 100%
nycx360
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 09:09:33 (permalink)
The lack of a block so far is very disappointing. I know they are coming out "soon" as in a few weeks away. I don't upgrade every gen either, but for me overclocking is important to get more performance while waiting between upgrades. For example my old 970 sli setup stock could not maintain 60 fps in certain games but oced it could. To oc the 980 kpe (to where you would see benefits in gaming) you need water or an open air case with 100% fan. In reality this card comes with a waterblock premium almost lol. 

I have a 780T case and I have my 980s in 3 way sli spacing, with a fan blowing directly parallel. With 40%-50% gpu usage on both gpus, my temps are in the high 60s with 60-70% fan @ 1510mhz. Not very pleasant sound wise lol, looks awesome though haha. 
post edited by nycx360 - 2015/04/07 09:12:52
AnonymousGuy
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 452
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/07 09:48:13 (permalink)
^^ I learned from the 600 series that if you want to watercool you shouldn't buy a "limited edition" version of a card.  You're a) waiting forever for a waterblock to come out in the first place (if at all), and then if it breaks or you need another for SLI you have to pray someone still has 1 in stock.

Workstation:  12900KF @ 5.2Ghz || MSI Pro-A Z690 DDR4|| EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || G.Skill 3866 4x8GB || Corsair AX1200i || whole-house loop.
Mining Box: HP Prodesk G1 (Haswell 4590), 3x Gigabyte 3080Ti, AX1500i @ 240V.
LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.
Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.7Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 250W, running on AX1200i || whole-house loop.
Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA 3060 || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.
Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Int
lex_lutha111384
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/08 13:56:47 (permalink)
can someone help me? What am I doing wrong? I have a 980 KINGPIN (obviously) and I am using the air cooler. I cant seem to overclock this thing as much as i thought i would be able to. I cant get it over 1505MHz without it crashing. Its only getting to like 54c! its not getting hot by any means. My drivers are up to date, i don't know if my bios is updated, could that be a problem? or did i just lose the lottery :(
dual109
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 980 Kingpin Exclusive Preorder 2015/04/08 21:24:23 (permalink)
lex_lutha111384
can someone help me? What am I doing wrong? I have a 980 KINGPIN (obviously) and I am using the air cooler. I cant seem to overclock this thing as much as i thought i would be able to. I cant get it over 1505MHz without it crashing. Its only getting to like 54c! its not getting hot by any means. My drivers are up to date, i don't know if my bios is updated, could that be a problem? or did i just lose the lottery :(

More info Mate;

Whats your PSU?

What are you doing when it crashes?

Are u on default voltage?

Does it crash with stock clocks?

Is your memory OC as well?

What are you using to overclock? Precision? Afterburner?   If it's precision try re-installing it.

Flick to another bios using switch on you card, not sure what happened to one of my bios's but it was crashing like hell, switched it to OC and it was fine.

Try adding a bit more voltage by flicking the two switches on rear which will give you 1.34 your card will handle it easily.

Keep away from such tools as the classified voltage tool and until you sort your issues, I just found with precision it can get quite erratic and buggy.

Dont' expect to much out of these cards on air, I'm only able to get 1533mhz game stable.

Page: << < ..1617181920 > Showing page 19 of 20
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile