EVGA

GTX 970 temps

Author
jerramie
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/27 18:30:02 (permalink)
With the card out of the box running with latest drivers and NO EVGA utility, the fans do not spin. WHni play wow @ max ultra 200% rez full AA - my card gets up to 75C and the fans are barely turning! I downloaded the EVGA precisionX software and i do not use the custom curve. I just use auto and the fan runs much much faster on auto. The difference being the auto fan control is default in the hardware. but i am thinking 75c is too hot. why do the fans barely move with hardware  automatic control vs 50% with software control? I don't know what to use. I was told that this EVGA utility will auto clock my GPU but, i cant seem to figure it out. I am also not sure what to run the fan at or if i run it at 100% when i am playing games.. if that will shorten te life of the fans. I do understand the cards fans will not come on at all unless the card heats up.Should I run the precision X utility and let it control the fans auto settings? is there a way to get the utility to auto OC? thanks guys

19 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/27 18:48:57 (permalink)
    75c isn't a problem. I'd run the fans @ 100% when gaming. Fans can be replaced & are way cheaper than new gpu's. Precision x won't auto overclock your card.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/27 18:50:14 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums jerramie

Set a custom fan curve You balance Noise / Temps

My EVGA 980 SC with ACX cooler

GPU @ 1505, running 24 x 7 at 66 C in a 28 C room, with Full load 99% Folding

Your case also has to have good airflow
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/27 18:54:36

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jerramie
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/27 19:40:46 (permalink)
    thanks.  Is this normal? DO you think that the card out of the box with nvidia drivers only can be used without the utility?... will the cards hardware fan sensor ever push the fans to an effective rpm and cool the card down while gaming? i reached 75c in 1 minute of flying around in wow. I bet i could get it over 100c. I guess what I am asking is.... are the evga made nvidia cards designed to run with the precision X 16 software for cooling while gaming . and one other question... does the card have the ability to change clocks by load? I ask because i see a kboost button on the utility. 
    thanks  
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/27 19:52:41 (permalink)
    jerramie
    DO you think that the card out of the box with nvidia drivers only can be used without the utility? will the cards hardware fan sensor ever push the fans to an effective rpm and cool the card down while gaming? does the card have the ability to change clocks by load? i reached 75c in 1 minute of flying around in wow. I bet i could get it over 100c.

Yes to first question. No to second question, the cards are configured to prioritize noise over temps out of the box. Yes to third question. Card shouldn't exceed 80c with out of box settings loaded.
    post edited by Sajin - 2016/08/27 19:54:46
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/27 20:20:26 (permalink)

This thread is in the wrong section. Your 970 series is in the 700 series section. Moving thread to the 900 series section.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/27 20:40:51 (permalink)
    Sajin
    jerramie
    DO you think that the card out of the box with nvidia drivers only can be used without the utility? will the cards hardware fan sensor ever push the fans to an effective rpm and cool the card down while gaming? does the card have the ability to change clocks by load? i reached 75c in 1 minute of flying around in wow. I bet i could get it over 100c.

Yes to first question. No to second question, the cards are configured to prioritize noise over temps out of the box. Yes to third question. Card shouldn't exceed 80c with out of box settings loaded.

+1
    Stock fan = low noise but more heat

Temps can limit CPU clocks - called throttling

kboost button on the utility = 100% CPU --- mostly for benchmark use, let the CPU ramp up as it needs to

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/27 21:20:42 (permalink)
    My Titan got up to 85c (in a room 23c), and the fan speed only went up to 60%. I had sever pop-in in some games, and lag from kb/mouse to monitor.
    I used precision X to set my own fan curve (a little more than 'aggressive' mode), and ot cooled it down SO much more (to 72c), and the pop-in issues went away, and fps was more stable.
    (unfortunately, my card was going bad, and I had to rma it, but thats beside the point). I think mfr's nowadays tend to think noise is more important than actually cooling the card, and having a good gaming experience. I would rather have louder noise and a cooler running card, as the card will last longer and have better performance.
    I also think you should use MSI Afterburner than Precision X.

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    jerramie
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:29:33 (permalink)
    Ty.. I do not care about the noise. idk why anyone would... i mean, if you are playing games that is.... u have headphones on or are running in 5.1. However! i have never ever heard a fan go this fast before. Honestly at 100% they sound like they are priming to take off and this concerns me.  I am not new to building my own rigs. The first time i ever moded a puter was my trs-80 color computer to expand the ram with a cartrige! Weare talking 1982 maybe? Before that I had a Timex Sinclair 1000. : ) My first actual "PC" build I upgraded with a GFX accelerator, not a gpu. Anyways, i did enjoy OC'n back in the day but I have learned over the years that if you OC a GPU it shortens the life of the GPU. I am sure this would depend on the hardware the cards were built with. So I am not saying that OC'n your gpu will always slowly destroy it but I am sure you guys would know better then I would., One PC i built back when BF2 came out was an AMD sandiago with a 16 mb cache on the HDD, DDR400, 2 nvidia 6800's running in SLI. Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 card. THat computer was nice for its time and I could play BF2 at ultra settings. You could OC the 6800s via "Ntune" nvidia. But i only used it to increase CPU frequency to 220 without increasing the voltage. It ran stable with a few hiccups but to get a real stable oc @ 220... i would have had to bump up the voltages. I still have those cards, i never changed the clocks or voltage! they still work! I used that build for nearly 3 years. On the other side of this - my brother buys high end cards and is a big fan of MSI afterburner. He increases voltage and clocks via MSI utility to achieve performance upgrade. But then he gets board and being he makes a good living.. he goes out and gets newer cards that come out. THen he sends me the older cards that he OC'd with MSI utility and they last maybe a year. I am not interested in using a utility to manually increase the voltage and clocks or increase mem speed. But I would like to know what you guys use and why. My next question is this: If running the GTX970 out of the box with nvidia software and drivers (no MSI or EVGA utilities) will the clock speeds change to meet demand? I am going to use the evga utility to control the fans and more then likely use a speed curve or maybe just run the fans wide open. Other then MANUAL OC of the card, is there any other reason to use the utility? SOrry such a long post but I am a noob to these utilities and have not used oen since "Ntune" and even then i never changed anything but fan speeds with Ntune and my CPU FSB. I do not like the idea of fan sound over GPU temp. Wow this post is long and i am getting off task here.. I will summarize my questions.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:38:13 (permalink)
    jerramie
    But I would like to know what you guys use and why.

If running the GTX970 out of the box with nvidia software and drivers (no MSI or EVGA utilities) will the clock speeds change to meet demand?

Other then MANUAL OC of the card, is there any other reason to use the utility?

I use msi afterburner. Why? It's more stable then evga precision x. 

Yes.

Monitoring gpu temps, clocks, voltage, etc.
    jerramie
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:44:53 (permalink)
     Do the newer cards now drop the clocks and voltage when not being taxed and increase the voltage/clocks to a specific factory max based on usage and temp? If yes, is this done with the evga utility (PrecisionX 16)? I am looking to get the best out of my card without killing it. I know nothing about the utilities special features. All I see is a Microsoft based GUI built by MSI or EVGA with sliders to change values. Had I not seen a cd in the box the gpu came in, i would have never even went to evga site to see what was available. I would still be playing with just the drivers and nvidia control panel with fans barely moving 

post edited by jerramie - 2016/08/28 14:47:31
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:47:20 (permalink)
    jerramie
    Do the newer cards now drop the clocks and voltage when not being taxed and increase the voltage/clocks to a specific factory max based on usage and temp?

If yes, is this done with the evga utility (PrecisionX 16)? 

Yes.

No.
    jerramie
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:47:56 (permalink)
    thanks

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:48:11 (permalink)
    No problem. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:49:38 (permalink)
    jerramie
    Ty.. I do not care about the noise. idk why anyone would... i mean, if you are playing games that is.... u have headphones on or are running in 5.1. However! i have never ever heard a fan go this fast before. Honestly at 100% they sound like they are priming to take off and this concerns me.  I am not new to building my own rigs. The first time i ever moded a puter was my trs-80 color computer to expand the ram with a cartrige! Weare talking 1982 maybe? Before that I had a Timex Sinclair 1000. : ) My first actual "PC" build I upgraded with a GFX accelerator, not a gpu. Anyways, i did enjoy OC'n back in the day but I have learned over the years that if you OC a GPU it shortens the life of the GPU. I am sure this would depend on the hardware the cards were built with. So I am not saying that OC'n your gpu will always slowly destroy it but I am sure you guys would know better then I would., One PC i built back when BF2 came out was an AMD sandiago with a 16 mb cache on the HDD, DDR400, 2 nvidia 6800's running in SLI. Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 card. THat computer was nice for its time and I could play BF2 at ultra settings. You could OC the 6800s via "Ntune" nvidia. But i only used it to increase CPU frequency to 220 without increasing the voltage. It ran stable with a few hiccups but to get a real stable oc @ 220... i would have had to bump up the voltages. I still have those cards, i never changed the clocks or voltage! they still work! I used that build for nearly 3 years. On the other side of this - my brother buys high end cards and is a big fan of MSI afterburner. He increases voltage and clocks via MSI utility to achieve performance upgrade. But then he gets board and being he makes a good living.. he goes out and gets newer cards that come out. THen he sends me the older cards that he OC'd with MSI utility and they last maybe a year. I am not interested in using a utility to manually increase the voltage and clocks or increase mem speed. But I would like to know what you guys use and why. My next question is this: If running the GTX970 out of the box with nvidia software and drivers (no MSI or EVGA utilities) will the clock speeds change to meet demand? I am going to use the evga utility to control the fans and more then likely use a speed curve or maybe just run the fans wide open. Other then MANUAL OC of the card, is there any other reason to use the utility? SOrry such a long post but I am a noob to these utilities and have not used oen since "Ntune" and even then i never changed anything but fan speeds with Ntune and my CPU FSB. I do not like the idea of fan sound over GPU temp. Wow this post is long and i am getting off task here.. I will summarize my questions.

Please separate the question you have from the story  (add some spaces)

Cooler = longer life of electronic in general

Current GPUs - you need software to override the Fan speed % --- and you should want to have 30% or 40% fan speed all the time and speed them up with temps.

They are designed to work with the stock fan profile; if your case has good airflow

jerramie
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:53:12 (permalink)
    What confuses me is this: my bother has a much higher end GPU built by nvidia. The card is liquid cooled. The utility that he is using increases the clock, increases the voltage to stablize the clock. and it keeps doing this over and over and over again until the card can no longer be cooled and reaches a max temp. THis is why I thought i needed the utility

jerramie
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 14:56:00 (permalink)
    If you had this card, what would you do with it?

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 15:00:30 (permalink)
    jerramie
    If you had this card, what would you do with it?

If playing games I would just leave the gpu clocks at stock speeds and increase the fan speed to 100% when gaming to keep the card nice and cool.
    jerramie
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 15:03:12 (permalink)
    Thanks. I will do that. I appreciate your experience.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 temps 2016/08/28 15:04:08 (permalink)
    jerramie
    Thanks. I will do that. I appreciate your experience.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile