GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 making noises

Author
Marc Brockmeyer
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/22 08:59:25 (permalink)
Hey Guys,

i`m new to this forum and have already searched for a solution but, anyways...
i´m owning a 970 SC ACX 2.0 in use with a 60Hz Samsung. I´m only playing racing games so i don`t use VSync cause the input lag, even with Triple Buffering i still get some lag, so using VSync is no option for me cause of that!

Now my question:
I´m getting strange noises somewhere from the graphic card when playing without Vsync. I have no problems with that noises over all, but i like to be save that i don`t destroy the card in some way?

3 Replies Related Threads

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 making noises 2015/05/22 10:21:56 (permalink)
    It's coil whine which is a phenomenon in electricity where the coil vibrates due to the current. This produces a whine or screech kind of sound. This whine is perfectly normal and expected in most cards.

If you believe your whine is louder than a conversation or basically loud enough to disrupt you, you could attempt to RMA the product to get one that's slightly better. But a new one would also whine, just maybe not as bad.

Otherwise, just keep vsync on and the card won't whine as bad if it's getting 60fps instead of processing 100fps+ which is a waste in some ways with a 60hz monitor.

DarrelM
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 145
    Re: GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 making noises 2015/05/22 14:38:14 (permalink)
    Hi,

You may want to try enabling V-sync or adaptive V-sync in the Nvidia Control panel. I have noticed that this can eliminate the input lag in some games that v-sync can sometimes introduce. If that does not help, you could also set a frame rate limit in PrecisionX.
    Marc Brockmeyer
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 making noises 2015/05/23 01:26:04 (permalink)
    Yes Darrel, as said in opener i recognized VSync eliminates the coil whine, but produces input lag for my wheel which is a no go! PrecisionX is a nice tool, set FPS to 60 and yes, coil whine "and" tearing is gone in rFactor2. In pCARS and Assetto Corsa there's still some tearing but i'm ok with it so far. It's just some slighty grey bars rolling down the screen most able to recognize on dark backrounds like cockpit ingame. But i guess this could be also depending on Games itself?! Anyways, need to buy me a new screen in nearly future with higher Hz and problem should be gone. Thanks for your replies guys, now i'm gone and having some fun with my new great GPU 😉
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile