EVGA

GTX 970 Display Driver crashing

Author
Ezio144
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/05/27 07:17:29 (permalink)
This has been happening to me a lot lately, I get these 'display driver has stopped responding and has recovered' kernel mode something with almost every game I play now.

I'm just playing games and then the screen just just turns gray, green and sometimes other colors, and sometimes it just turns black and a few seconds after I can actually see the message that the display driver crashed, and sometimes nothing happens after a long time so I have to restart.

Also, every time after this crash, it seems my PC and mainly GeForce Experience and EVGA Precision X 16 do not detect the GPU and for some reason. Another thing that happens is that my GPU fans won't work unless I use the EVGA Precision to mess with the fan speed, as soon as I close it they completely stop.

I don't know if it's a faulty GPU, overheating, or driver problems. This is really weird because this wasn't happening to me before, I don't know what else to do and it is getting really annoying because I can't play without getting these crashes almost every time.

I am on Windows 10 and my GPU is an EVGA GTX 970.

Attached Image(s)

8 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Ezio144
    Re: GTX 970 Display Driver crashing 2016/05/27 16:09:14 (permalink)

I still haven't performed a Clean Boot yet, but I wanted to update that I recently played Fallout 4 and this crash happened to me again.

This time it gave me a green screen (whole screen just turned green instantly) and this time something happened to me that didn't happen before, it stayed green for about a minute, then all of a sudden the sound cut off and my PC automatically restarted.

I've also taken a look at the Event Viewer after the unexpected reboot and I found a Critical (red X) event, the source was Kernel-Power and the Event ID is 41.
    The description of the event is as follows:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I have also seen an Error for Eventlog (ID 1101), multiple Warnings for DeviceSetupManager and one for TaskScheduler and an Error for DistributedCOM.
    I can detail all of those in another reply if needed and I hope this can help solve my problem.
    If there's anything else I can do or anywhere else I need to look into, please tell me.

I am suspecting that I might have to format my PC or eventually get my GPU replaced with a new one for this if nothing else will work for me.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: GTX 970 Display Driver crashing 2016/05/27 16:59:52 (permalink)
    Follow the steps Sajin linked, if those steps don't resolve the issue your GPU is probably on the way out.

As for the fans shutting off - the mid to high end 900 series cards (non blower style only I think) don't have the fans turn on until the GPU hits 60C.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 Display Driver crashing 2016/05/27 18:27:40 (permalink)
    Listing your full system specs would be helpful. Don't forget to list make/model/age of psu.
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: GTX 970 Display Driver crashing 2016/05/27 19:10:03 (permalink)
    Mine has done that with the newest update from Nvidia.
    Ezio144
    Re: GTX 970 Display Driver crashing 2016/05/28 02:54:40 (permalink)
    I forgot to ask - after I do the Clean Boot, how would I be able to see if a process or a background program is responsible, and how would I boot back to normal after the Clean Boot?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 Display Driver crashing 2016/05/28 13:54:29 (permalink)
    Ezio144
    I forgot to ask - after I do the Clean Boot, how would I be able to see if a process or a background program is responsible, and how would I boot back to normal after the Clean Boot?

If the problem stops while in clean boot then you will know that a background program is causing the issue. How to boot back to normal after clean boot.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 970 Display Driver crashing 2016/05/28 13:56:34 (permalink)
    Here is something else you can try...

Modify TDR timeout period via windows registry.
    • Exit all Windows based programs.
    • Press Windows Key+R, type regedit in the Search box, and hit enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    Browse to and then click the following registry subkey: 
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers 
    On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit): 

For 32 bit Windows:

1. Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
    2. Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and input "A" without the quotes for the Value data and click OK.
    4. Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect

For 64 bit Windows:
    1. Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
    2. Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and input "A" without the quotes for the Value data and click OK.
    4. Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile