GTX 950 with dual BIOS, and FPS

Author
JWamboldt
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/04/25 00:05:10 (permalink)
Hello again!
I reset the little BIOS switch as instructed in an earlier post, and I think it runs great! I get an occasional stutter from time to time (I did before as well), but I assume that that may be due to my 6 year old processor. The fans now run all the time, but it is still quieter that the  GT730 it replaced. Plus GPU temps stay way down!
One thing I have noticed while playing D3 and I have the OSD up, is that when there is nothing going on on the screen, (characters are just chillin') the FPS drops way down. But when attacked by multiple nasties, the FPS goes up! I'm assuming that when there is nothing happening on screen, the GPU just doesn't need to work as hard?
Just learning how the GPU works
J.

Stock HP P6703 system
AMD Athlon 640 X4 3Ghz. processor (propus)
750 Gb HD
Upgrades: 2nd 1 TB HD, 12 GB RAM, 600 w power supply, 10/100/1000 Network adapter, 3.0 USB adapter card.
EVGA GTX 950 SCC Video card

1 Reply Related Threads

JWamboldt
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GTX 950 with dual BIOS, and FPS 2016/04/30 16:31:37 (permalink)
    EVGATech_KevinS
    JWamboldt
    Hello again!
    I reset the little BIOS switch as instructed in an earlier post, and I think it runs great! I get an occasional stutter from time to time (I did before as well), but I assume that that may be due to my 6 year old processor. The fans now run all the time, but it is still quieter that the  GT730 it replaced. Plus GPU temps stay way down!
    One thing I have noticed while playing D3 and I have the OSD up, is that when there is nothing going on on the screen, (characters are just chillin') the FPS drops way down. But when attacked by multiple nasties, the FPS goes up! I'm assuming that when there is nothing happening on screen, the GPU just doesn't need to work as hard?
    Just learning how the GPU works
    J.

Hello JWamboldt,

Welcome to forums, to further assist you can you provide your computer specification. 
    There are a few things we would like to try to further diagnose the issue. To rule out any power issues, making sure that all power connectors are secure and re-seating the card to insure proper connection. Please go to your BIOS going to hardware monitor.
    Monitoring the +12v reading which should be a constant between 11.6-12.4.
    Any irregular or fluctuations of anything greater than .05 readings may be a sign of power source failure.Granted these readings only show the system at an idle state but it will give us a bit better idea of the condition of the power supply.
    Next is to use a software called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and doing a clean and restart. Then installing the most current drivers but selecting the Custom(Advanced) Option then checking the "Perform a Clean Install" box just to be thorough. Also please this benchmark 3DMark demo  and at the end of the benchmark, please provide us a link to the score.

I did tweak the settings a bit on the GPU and haven't seen as many stutters as I had before. I did overdo it at one point and crashed the card (oops!) so I tried to be a bit more conservative with it.
    I appreciate your suggestions, but I am really looking at another alternative: Building a system! It's going to be more towards a budget system, most likely an AMD core. I can recycle components out of this system such as the graphics card and memory, and pop my old GPU back in to use this system for everyday things such as internet and email, etc. I have been watching and reading reviews of various products and compiling a list. (and checking it twice!) This something I have wanted to do for some time as the HP system and its provided AMD chip received a lot of those "good value for the money" type of reviews when it was released back in 2010, but certainly not up to gaming, even with the upgrades I have done. What can you say about something I bought at Walmart? It's what I had money for at the time. If I go that way, I will have to let you guys know what I come up with.
    J
    post edited by JWamboldt - 2016/04/30 16:33:46

Stock HP P6703 system
    AMD Athlon 640 X4 3Ghz. processor (propus)
    750 Gb HD
    Upgrades: 2nd 1 TB HD, 12 GB RAM, 600 w power supply, 10/100/1000 Network adapter, 3.0 USB adapter card.
    EVGA GTX 950 SCC Video card
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile