EVGA

Helpful ReplyGTX 780 sc acx running boost near constant /strange sound.

Author
joker3121
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/16 10:25:24 (permalink)
Hi All,

I have a gtx 780 sc acx (3GB). I've got two issues: (i) near constant boost and (ii) a strange sound.

Here's my system:
Intel 4770k
H100i cooling
1866 RAM
MSI Z87-GD65

(i) Near constant boost.

I find the card running many games I play at clock boost (defined as 1110 mhz and 1161 volts, base is 967). This can be fairly constant, especially in games like Borderlands 2, Napoleon Total War, etc. I also play Rome 2 (I know, but I can't help myself), and the boost is pretty constant there as well. Temps remain pretty stable, the card is usually in the 40-60c range. Everything is set to auto, including the fans. I don' do *any kind* of custom overclocking on the card itself. Only thing I do outside of the card that may constitute OC is use XMP on my system's memory.

Anyway, I figure this boost can't be good on the card, especially during long intervals of play (3 hours or more), but honestly I'm not sure. Maybe it doesn't matter? I don't want to damage the card or deteriorate it's long-term health.

Is there anything I should be doing? Is this condition normal? Any help is greatly appreciated.

(ii) Strange sound.

I've only had this card for four months, and I noticed a few weeks back a strange noise emitting from the card. It doesn't sound like coil whine (though it does do that at times). It sounds more like a "flap" noise/a low buzz/clicking. It doesn't happen all the time, it comes and goes. Any idea of what this could be?

Thanks to all and sorry for such a long post.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: GTX 780 sc acx running boost near constant /strange sound. 2014/08/16 10:31:20 (permalink)
joker3121
Hi All,

I have a gtx 780 sc acx (3GB). I've got two issues: (i) near constant boost and (ii) a strange sound.

Here's my system:
Intel 4770k
H100i cooling
1866 RAM
MSI Z87-GD65

(i) Near constant boost.

I find the card running many games I play at clock boost (defined as 1110 mhz and 1161 volts, base is 967). This can be fairly constant, especially in games like Borderlands 2, Napoleon Total War, etc. I also play Rome 2 (I know, but I can't help myself), and the boost is pretty constant there as well. Temps remain pretty stable, the card is usually in the 40-60c range. Everything is set to auto, including the fans. I don' do *any kind* of custom overclocking on the card itself. Only thing I do outside of the card that may constitute OC is use XMP on my system's memory.

Anyway, I figure this boost can't be good on the card, especially during long intervals of play (3 hours or more), but honestly I'm not sure. Maybe it doesn't matter? I don't want to damage the card or deteriorate it's long-term health.

Is there anything I should be doing? Is this condition normal? Any help is greatly appreciated.

(ii) Strange sound.

I've only had this card for four months, and I noticed a few weeks back a strange noise emitting from the card. It doesn't sound like coil whine (though it does do that at times). It sounds more like a "flap" noise/a low buzz/clicking. It doesn't happen all the time, it comes and goes. Any idea of what this could be?

Thanks to all and sorry for such a long post.

As far as your clocks, that is perfectly normal clocks and good temps. The GPU is operating as designed. Hard to tell what the noise is. Does it change when you manually change the fan speed using Precision? (assuming you have the Precision app installed). Did you make sure to remove all the protective plastic film prior to installing the GPU?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

trabe3
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1203
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: GTX 780 sc acx running boost near constant /strange sound. 2014/08/16 13:17:13 (permalink)
Running at boost for long periods of time is not an issue as long as your temps are fine. Your times are quite well so no worries about your usage.

As far as noise, see if any wires or something are close to the fan blades. May be they are slightly hitting the blades. It could possibly some of the cooling fins in the ACX cooler. There has been some issues with that in the past where they rattle a little.

System #1
ASUS RIV BE
4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
Corsair AX1200i
Windows 7 Pro
NZXT Switch 810
ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
3930K @ 4.4GHz
8Gb 1600Mhz
XFX R9 270X (for now)
joker3121
Re: GTX 780 sc acx running boost near constant /strange sound. 2014/08/24 17:29:41 (permalink)
Thanks guys, and apologies for the delayed response. Still not sure what the sound is, I definitely took off all the wrap before I installed the card.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe you can shine some light on why this may be, but my card runs a lot hotter when I play older games. For example, when I play "Napoleon: Total War," it runs hotter than when I play Rome 2. Rome 2 is substantially more graphically intensive - and I've got optimized settings running on that game (unfortunately, no optimized settings options for Napoleon, everything is just maxed). I figure this should be the other way around: graphically "less" intensive games would run cooler than those that require more intensity? The card during Rome 2 runs around ~60c. During Napoleon, it's running around 68c to 70c - and that's more or less constant. Note: The FPS in Napoleon is off the chain - extremely high.

Why do you think this is, and do you think that's a dangerous temperature to run for longer gaming intervals (2-3 hours)?

One note: I have the card running default; everything is on auto. "Target temperature" is set at 79c, but I've never seen the card get that hot.

Thanks for any advice, always appreciated.
ganzosrevenge
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 169
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 780 sc acx running boost near constant /strange sound. 2014/08/24 18:31:20 (permalink)
joker3121
Thanks guys, and apologies for the delayed response. Still not sure what the sound is, I definitely took off all the wrap before I installed the card.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe you can shine some light on why this may be, but my card runs a lot hotter when I play older games. For example, when I play "Napoleon: Total War," it runs hotter than when I play Rome 2. Rome 2 is substantially more graphically intensive - and I've got optimized settings running on that game (unfortunately, no optimized settings options for Napoleon, everything is just maxed). I figure this should be the other way around: graphically "less" intensive games would run cooler than those that require more intensity? The card during Rome 2 runs around ~60c. During Napoleon, it's running around 68c to 70c - and that's more or less constant. Note: The FPS in Napoleon is off the chain - extremely high.

Why do you think this is, and do you think that's a dangerous temperature to run for longer gaming intervals (2-3 hours)?

One note: I have the card running default; everything is on auto. "Target temperature" is set at 79c, but I've never seen the card get that hot.

Thanks for any advice, always appreciated.

nVidia cards don't begin to self-regulate till about 80 to 85 Deg C, so if you're not hitting your target temps, your boost clocks aren't throttling, etc., then life is good.

I'd say enjoy the GPU.

DESKTOP: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 350D | ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE | Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 11-13-13-31 RAM | EVGA GTX 1080 CLASSIFIED - 8GB GDDR5X RAM (2,560 Cores / 256-Bit) Driver: 368.81| 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Seasonic SS-1050 XP3 | Dell UP2414Q 4K IPS Monitor| Swiftech H220-x Liquid Loop | Win10 Build 14901

LAPTOP: Sager NP8265-S | Intel Core i7-4800mq @ 2.7GHz | 32GB DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 RAM | nVidia GTX 780m - 4GB GDDR5 RAM (1,536 Cores / 256-bit) Driver: 368.81 | 1TB 850 Pro SSD | BLURAY ROM | 95% Adobe 1080p MATTE SCREEN | Win10PRO x64 Build 14901
Erik
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 417
Re: GTX 780 sc acx running boost near constant /strange sound. 2014/08/24 22:56:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joker3121 2014/09/30 19:42:06
If the sound is still being an issue, make sure that you've removed the small clear plastic covering the fans on the card.  They could be the cause of the air/sound disturbance.

You can always verify that it isn't more related to coil whine by testing it with another PSU if you have access to one.  If the sound is gone with a different PSU then it was coil whine that was exaggerated by an out of spec PSU.
joker3121
Re: GTX 780 sc acx running boost near constant /strange sound. 2014/09/30 19:45:52 (permalink)
Hey,

Sorry for the long delay. I've been putting up with the noise but tonight I got a bit curious and decided to open up my case and took a look at the card. I definitely removed the plastic film that surrounded the card when I originally installed it, but I noticed there is a sort of round "plastic" on top of the fans themselves. This is at the very center of the fan - not on the blades -  but on the ciruclar object at the top very center of the fan. It almost looks like a decal. I notice that one of these (the one on the right fan top) is very slightly off/deformed. It has a wrikle through it and is slightly up at the edge. Again, it's pretty minor. Lucikly, the left one seems fine/flat.

My question is this: Should I remove this "plastic" on top of the fans? Is this what you were referring to in your last post? If no, I assume this is necessary to the card? Assuming it is necessary, should I attempt to push/flatten the plastic on top of the right fan or just put up with it.

Thanks for your time and help in this matter.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: GTX 780 sc acx running boost near constant /strange sound. 2014/09/30 20:02:46 (permalink)
joker3121
Hey,

Sorry for the long delay. I've been putting up with the noise but tonight I got a bit curious and decided to open up my case and took a look at the card. I definitely removed the plastic film that surrounded the card when I originally installed it, but I noticed there is a sort of round "plastic" on top of the fans themselves. This is at the very center of the fan - not on the blades -  but on the ciruclar object at the top very center of the fan. It almost looks like a decal. I notice that one of these (the one on the right fan top) is very slightly off/deformed. It has a wrikle through it and is slightly up at the edge. Again, it's pretty minor. Lucikly, the left one seems fine/flat.

My question is this: Should I remove this "plastic" on top of the fans? Is this what you were referring to in your last post? If no, I assume this is necessary to the card? Assuming it is necessary, should I attempt to push/flatten the plastic on top of the right fan or just put up with it.

Thanks for your time and help in this matter.

The clear plastic film over the  stylized 'E' on the fan center should be removed.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile