EVGA

GTX 770 crash

Author
killjoy69
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/05 12:59:23 (permalink)
Need some advice, as I've done pretty much everything and cannot solve the issue.

Screen is randomly going black/orange/white or wtv color while pc is running normally but without any response, I have to force restart.
I cannot reproduce it at 100% BUT from I know it happens the most under two conditions.

1. I play Battlefield 4 and as soon as I change levels for the FIRST time, it crashes, I force restart and from there on I can play for hours until next boot.
2. I stress the GPU with OCCT or other software and it takes everything, as soon as I exit the stress it crashes. Really? Plus I don't get any error logs in even viewer, msi after burner or occt, all the sensor logs stop right before the crash happens.
So from what I gathered the card takes everything that I throw at it and it performs well and as soon as the load drops it crashes the PC, how does that make any sense. One thing that seemed to work was to lower the core clock in Precision. Instead of completely crashing I would get a DirectX hung error, after closing that I can continue using the pc. The rest of time that I dont put under load I can work for weeks or months with no problems, and then once in a blue moon just crash again while browsing the internet just using the pc.

It all started since I switched from an EVGA gtx 570 that worked like a charm.

So far what I've done:
-Change PCI express slots
-Clean the pc
-Change cables
-Test PSU (12.33v)
-Test memory
-Clean driver install (no hd audio, no geforce experience)
-Updated drivers
-Clean windows install
-Down-clock memory/core clock, enable kboost
-Disable on board audio
-Adjust memory timings and voltages
-No overclock
-All the sensors are normal, Under load the gpu runs at about 80c

I am getting my second replacement soon, but they told me that the first one that I changed, was tested and had nothing wrong.
Any thoughts?

Intel I7 960 3.2Ghz | Evga X58 Classified | GTX 770 Acx | Corsair Dominator 12gb | Corsair 850HX | Dell U2410:Dell U2311H | Samsung 840 Pro 512gb| OCZ Vertex 120gb | 2x Seagate 1tb | CM HAF 932 |

2 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: GTX 770 crash 2015/07/05 16:30:21 (permalink)
    This is a shot in the dark, but do you have the latest BIOS flashed on your motherboard? 

The only other thing that I can think of would be to use a spare PSU to test with. Your Corsair should be enough, but I've heard horror stories about that brand of PSU (but I don't recall the specific models).
    killjoy69
    • Total Posts : 14
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GTX 770 crash 2015/07/06 17:59:22 (permalink)
    I wish they had an update for that. Last time I updated the BIOS was in 2011, nothing available since...

Some update: I get the event ID 14 "nvlddmkm cannot be found" which is a pretty general error from what I read. Also once after the screens went black the pc recovered because there was a windows update popup in the background, so I guess it kinda "woke up" the screens? no idea 

Intel I7 960 3.2Ghz | Evga X58 Classified | GTX 770 Acx | Corsair Dominator 12gb | Corsair 850HX | Dell U2410:Dell U2311H | Samsung 840 Pro 512gb| OCZ Vertex 120gb | 2x Seagate 1tb | CM HAF 932 |
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile