EVGA

GTX 660 Ti Stuttering/FPS Drops

Author
Rayfloyd
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/08/25 13:40:27 (permalink)
Hi, I'm an EVGA customers since not very long ago. I got myself a nice GTX 680 Ref for myself and I am very satisfied with it (although I can't overclock the GPU over 50 mhz more and same for the memory but oh well an oc is not guaranteed).

I built my brother a new system and told him to wait for the 660 Ti SC and he did, so I installed it yesterday and downloaded the latest drivers 305.68. Windows performance index estimated the card at 2.9 of score for aero and 6.5 for gaming graphics. He played a flash game called bubble tower defense and it lagged so I thought maybe he's calling in too many waves and flash can't handle it... I started up minecraft (closest thing to a game without loading 15 gb worth of games over the wifi) It lagged there too (in singleplayer) even on lowest settings. The 660 Ti should be able to run at least 3-4 minecrafts at max settings I bet :P But this one did not. After a bit of research I saw people encountering problems with the 305.68 drivers and said that the 304.87 from the cd were working more nicely. So I installed it and minecraft did run more smoothly at times but still did stutter from time to time. Windows had scores of 7.9 for both aero and gaming graphics also. I transferred portal 2 and it lags on both defaults max and min settings with the same stuttering as minecraft.

Temps are on around 32C on idle and around 50C in games or less.

The system is this:
Motherboard:Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
Processor: Intel I5 2400
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue (2x4gb)
Stock CPU cooler
Case: Zalman Z11 (has 4 fans)
PSU:Corsair 600W builder series
Graphics card: EVGA GTX 660Ti SC

Any suggestion on what I should do or where the problem is from? I did not touch the overclock by the way. 

Any help is appreciated.

2 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re:GTX 660 Ti Stuttering/FPS Drops 2012/08/25 19:30:54 (permalink)
    Can you try setting the performance mode to prefer maximum performance.

Also try monitoring with Precision to see of the card is throttling.

Rayfloyd
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:GTX 660 Ti Stuttering/FPS Drops 2012/08/25 19:43:53 (permalink)
    Do you want me to set the max performance in the respective games or in the nvidia control panel?

Because I have already tried setting the game at max, default and minimum with little to no difference. Like it will be alright for some moments then go crazy low FPS.

I will go see if the card is throttling soon.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile