GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100%

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 49 of 54
Author
ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 06:45:07 (permalink)
Newly manufactured cards (After Sept 8th apparently) are shipping with the installed thermal pads

This is real and official that ? I have a 19 september card...
charlemagnes_joy
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 07:23:59 (permalink)
ilyama
Newly manufactured cards (After Sept 8th apparently) are shipping with the installed thermal pads

This is real and official that ? I have a 19 september card...

I actually made a mistake and have changed it. Its the BS100% issue causing VRM IC's have been changed on cards manufactured after September 1st. You can order the thermal pads from EVGA from today on. But there is no clear date as to when cards are going to be shipped with the pads built in.
jlp209
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 07:47:53 (permalink)
s1nrgy
So would the FTW Hybrid be safe to buy?

Yes assuming the card is purchased from EVGA. If you buy it from another retailer it may have been shipped prior to the date when all subsequent cards should've been fixed. My latest FTW Hybrid has no issues. Bought at a Microcenter on 10/12/16. Saw the Hybrid in stock there on Oct 11th for the 1st time so I was fairly certain it had been shipped from EVGA with the appropriate fix.

BS100% issue: Yes affects FTW Hybrid cards too.
VRM heat issue / thermal pads mod: Does not apply to FTW Hybrid cards. 
post edited by jlp209 - 2016/10/31 07:54:05

Asus ROG Strix Z390-I / i9 9900K @ 4.8ghz / Noctua NH-U12A / EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra / 32 gb G.Skill DDR4 3600 ram / Inland Premium 2TB NVMe SSD / WD 4TB SSD / LG 27GN950 4K 144hz monitor / Silverstone SX1000 PSU / Lian Li TU150 ITX case 
joseph305
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 211
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 07:54:34 (permalink)
well, evga should be letting us know what cards have the new
pads installed ... They should know the start date and serial
number of the fix  ! 

EVGA should post something like ..
' If you have a 1070/1080 card with serial number xxxxxxxx
or later you have thermal pads installed and the problem with
vrm heat is fixed... ' 
I'm sure there are many people not coming to this site that haven't
a clue what a thermal pad is , but they can check serial numbers when they
register to see if their card has fix !
jmo...

10700, msi z590 mb ,16gig ram, 3070ti ftw3 ultra, win 10  , crucial m.2's
charlemagnes_joy
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 08:16:17 (permalink)
joseph305
well, evga should be letting us know what cards have the new
pads installed ... They should know the start date and serial
number of the fix  ! 

EVGA should post something like ..
' If you have a 1070/1080 card with serial number xxxxxxxx
or later you have thermal pads installed and the problem with
vrm heat is fixed... ' 
I'm sure there are many people not coming to this site that haven't
a clue what a thermal pad is , but they can check serial numbers when they
register to see if their card has fix !
jmo...

Well first, they are saying that you don't need the thermal pads. Its just that most people would prefer them as lower temps is always better to have . Only for extreme overclocking and benchmarking will the pads will be important. So EVGA won't say much to cause people to fuss about them. Although they have made it clear that anyone can get a free kit to install the pads.

The other issue is the Black Screen + Fans 100% (BS100%). According to EVGA 3-4% of cards have under spec components and that it happened to cards randomly. Therefore they can't have a simple serial code to tell you which cards are fine or not. They have said that cards they shipped after September 1st don't have this issue. But other re-sellers might have older stock still available. So buy off Amazon or New Egg or any supplier which regularly sells the card and even runs out of stock. This means they will only have new cards.

Eagleizer
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 18:35:18 (permalink)
RKarov
I have had no black screen during gaming but I did have an endless start and restart issue a couple of days when my GTX 1080 FTW was plugged in so I ordered my thermal-pads.  I hope it and some Arctic Silver will prevent my card from dying.  I did not notice more heat coming from my case so maybe I do not have this issue but i got the card at the end of July so it may be an issue in the future.

Artic Silver or any other conductive thermal paste may short
circuit your components if it gets where it`s not supposed to.
Buy some ceramic thermal paste instead...

Cheers :)
Dicehunter
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 187
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 18:39:03 (permalink)
charlemagnes_joy
Well first, they are saying that you don't need the thermal pads. Its just that most people would prefer them as lower temps is always better to have . Only for extreme overclocking and benchmarking will the pads will be important. So EVGA won't say much to cause people to fuss about them. Although they have made it clear that anyone can get a free kit to install the pads.

The other issue is the Black Screen + Fans 100% (BS100%). According to EVGA 3-4% of cards have under spec components and that it happened to cards randomly. Therefore they can't have a simple serial code to tell you which cards are fine or not. They have said that cards they shipped after September 1st don't have this issue. But other re-sellers might have older stock still available. So buy off Amazon or New Egg or any supplier which regularly sells the card and even runs out of stock. This means they will only have new cards.

By chance would you have a link to EVGA stating that ?

=STEAM - Dicehunter = ORIGIN - Dicehunter=
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 21:42:46 (permalink)
JPS2K5
stalinx20
JPS2K5
EVGA_JacobF
Recently, there are many customers wanting to know more details about the EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue and we believe we need to make a clear statement to clear all kinds of speculation.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue was fixed as of the first week of September and this has been confirmed by all users who have received the replacement units with the issue resolved. Also, all new production has been confirmed to not have this issue after the first week of September.

This previous black screen issue was caused by On Semiconductor (VRM IC Manufacturer) VRM IC’s being out of spec, triggering the OCP (Over Current Protection) and will not cause any damage to your system. The percentage of the IC’s that were out of spec has been confirmed by On Semiconductor and is approximately 3% to 4%. Since then, EVGA and On Semiconductor have worked out the solution and RMA replacement action a couple months ago as we stated above.  At this moment, all of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW’s have been corrected and all products in the field are working properly.

If you have any questions, please contact our support directly at: support@evga.com.

Thanks,
EVGA

'recently'.... 'we believe'.... You let this thing go on for what, 2 months while people want an explanation and now you come with one. That's not believing, that is called surrendering with a knife at your throat.

And now I get to open up my cards and put on thermal pads, because 'no, there is no problem with the cards, it's just a service for people who want cooler cards', yeah right like I want to take the risk not putting them on...

I can not believe that there are actually people that cheer at you guys for doing what you should not have to be doing in the first place.

EVGA cards... The gift that keeps on giving.

First, you guys (yes, you guys) complain, complain, complain (and complain some more) about stocks not available. Nvidia/EVGA provide "different" solutions to try and satisfy the community and customers by giving an alternate solution to provide stock. Now another problem has arrise, and now you complain complain complain again. WHy dont you give them time to fix their issues? They're human just like you. Yes, they have engineers, but engineers have to diagnose and do trial and errors just like us on our PCs. Take a pill; chill. Let them fix the problem. Like little kids who can't get their hand in the cookie jar...We'll all sit and wait for the next rant. 

What have you done on your end to try to get the card working? Have you tried Debug Mode? Have you tried to under-clock the card a bit to see if you can get any stability? Have you tried cranking the fans full speed and under-clock the card? 

You must come from another planet than me. The planet I'm from, I expect when I buy something for it to work properly instead of me being the beta-tester.

Then you shouldn't have complained about low stock. They (Nvidia/EVGA) tried to help you guys out, but no, it wasn't good enough. People can never be happy. So, yes, I live on a completely different world than you do, because i'm not demanding. Thank you.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Chanser
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/31 23:43:41 (permalink)
Cymek
I am unsure if my cards are faulty or not as I get the black screen but haven't noticed the fans spinning up. Games crash often within a few minutes of playing them. No warning just a signal loss to my monitor which goes black sometimes with a buzzing type noise and then it reboots. Debug mode seems to help but not the solution I want. Graphics testing software doesn't cause the problem. I am going to ship my entire computer back to the people that built it and get them to look at it and hopefully replace the cards or work out what else may be causing it. Do others get the black screen and reboot but not the fans issue ?

I've just had this for the first time, black screened and reboot while playing BF1 multiplayer. Fans didn't spin up to 100%.

I suspect latest Nvidia driver might be the cause.
post edited by Chanser - 2016/10/31 23:53:48
NetQvist
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 00:52:45 (permalink)
Dicehunter
charlemagnes_joy

By chance would you have a link to EVGA stating that ?

http://forums.evga.com/GT...30081-p46.aspx#2568569
porsaan
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 07:24:58 (permalink)
Is the 1080 FTW DT affected by the vram cooling issue? Only had it for a few weeks, but had no problems with it so far. Use custom fan curve and running it on about 2ghz without any problems. (3440x1440@100hz)
eggyman
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 08:00:37 (permalink)
i just bought a 1060 supercharged edition that is doing the same thing right out of the box. was only 5 days ago. the thought of getting an rma just sucks when it would be quicker to return the card but if i can get a guarenteed newer edition guess ill go back to my 750 ti..

DeeX
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 20:15:05 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Recently, there are many customers wanting to know more details about the EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue and we believe we need to make a clear statement to clear all kinds of speculation.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue was fixed as of the first week of September and this has been confirmed by all users who have received the replacement units with the issue resolved. Also, all new production has been confirmed to not have this issue after the first week of September.

This previous black screen issue was caused by On Semiconductor (VRM IC Manufacturer) VRM IC’s being out of spec, triggering the OCP (Over Current Protection) and will not cause any damage to your system. The percentage of the IC’s that were out of spec has been confirmed by On Semiconductor and is approximately 3% to 4%. Since then, EVGA and On Semiconductor have worked out the solution and RMA replacement action a couple months ago as we stated above.  At this moment, all of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW’s have been corrected and all products in the field are working properly.

If you have any questions, please contact our support directly at: support@evga.com.

Thanks,
EVGA

EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear ElBartoME,

I can confirm that all cards shipping today are 100% updated.  Unfortunately we have had one or two cards ship from our Europe office recently that did not have this update and one of them was your product.  I am very sorry for any inconvenience that this did cause and thank you for allowing us to work with you to have your product exchanges once more. 

ElBartoME
floopyomg
Saw this on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TEAMEVGA/comments/56w7ty/has_the_black_screen_issue_detailed_over_at_the/d8rky7q/

Not true. My RMA card blackscreened and it was shipped two weeks ago. 

Ok so its happening to me. I have an Open RMA.
I just got this card in Sept. 
Is there a way you can make sure I get a NEW card? I hear some people are getting refurbished cards when doing RMAs.
Considering that this issue happens out of the box and is a known manufacturing issue that is unacceptable to me as I would have essentially have bought a refurbished card.
If this is not possible I am going to just return it to Amazon, they said they would take it back because of the issue. (even after the return period)
However that would be a disappointing hassle.
Please help me out, I am a long time loyal EVGA customer. 

Thanks!
dmanna
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 21:12:59 (permalink)
I got the black screen 3 days ago playing BF1. Monitor Black screened and fans ramped up really high, had to shut down PC and then reboot. I saw all this on the net about people having issues especially with the FTW GTX 1080 cards. The odd thing is I played through Gears of war 4 no issues, Forza Horizon 3 no major issues.. a few crashes but nothing major.. I also played through Deus EX MD no issues. 

I have not been able to replicate the black screen and the fans ramping up. So I fired up the witcher 3 no issues... I ran Fur Mark for an hour no issues. I have no clue what happend but it only happend once playing BF1.. but I immediatly sent out an RMA and they are sending me a new card.

1 black screen and fans at 100% out of 100 hours of gaming and stress testing at least. Very strange.
nautics889
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 21:43:08 (permalink)
dmanna
I got the black screen 3 days ago playing BF1. Monitor Black screened and fans ramped up really high, had to shut down PC and then reboot. I saw all this on the net about people having issues especially with the FTW GTX 1080 cards. The odd thing is I played through Gears of war 4 no issues, Forza Horizon 3 no major issues.. a few crashes but nothing major.. I also played through Deus EX MD no issues. 

I have not been able to replicate the black screen and the fans ramping up. So I fired up the witcher 3 no issues... I ran Fur Mark for an hour no issues. I have no clue what happend but it only happend once playing BF1.. but I immediatly sent out an RMA and they are sending me a new card.

1 black screen and fans at 100% out of 100 hours of gaming and stress testing at least. Very strange.

It's random, but glad you did RMA it. they will definitely replace it with a fixed one. My replacement has no problem. the VRM is what they replacement. The replacement will be fine

DeeX
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 21:49:06 (permalink)
nautics889
dmanna

It's random, but glad you did RMA it. they will definitely replace it with a fixed one. My replacement has no problem. the VRM is what they replacement. The replacement will be fine

Since this is a manufacturing issue are they replacing these with new ones. I feel like I bought a bunk card, and they might want to replace it with a refurb, so essentially I paid full price for a refurb. :(
illuswing
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 22:14:21 (permalink)
dmanna

Got the same problem on Battlefield 1 single player campaign, black screen with fan max out.
But not in multiplayer or any other game for now.

Btw I just bought the card about 2 weeks ago. So I doubted it so much.
Nexzer
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 23:10:06 (permalink)
illuswing
dmanna

Got the same problem on Battlefield 1 single player campaign, black screen with fan max out.

Which mission in battlefield 1 singleplayer? I get it without fail on the plane mission above london after 5mins. Currently awaiting response on my RMA request.
illuswing
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/01 23:21:58 (permalink)
Nexzer
illuswing
dmanna

Which mission in battlefield 1 singleplayer? I get it without fail on the plane mission above london after 5mins. Currently awaiting response on my RMA request.

Same plane mission. I've managed to get past the test flight stage and some easy dog fight and bomber escort with several crashes and reboots. But not the mission they try to repel the air strike... time is short!

I also doubted if VBIOS update could solve the problem. 'cause I've already set the fan to the maximum in precision x. And it still crashes every time.
post edited by illuswing - 2016/11/02 01:39:45
Nexzer
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 08:16:34 (permalink)
illuswing
Nexzer
illuswing
dmanna

Same plane mission. I've managed to get past the test flight stage and some easy dog fight and bomber escort with several crashes and reboots. But not the mission they try to repel the air strike... time is short!

I also doubted if VBIOS update could solve the problem. 'cause I've already set the fan to the maximum in precision x. And it still crashes every time.

Yeah, seems you have the same problem as me, just RMA it.
Philthy_84
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 09:33:31 (permalink)
Been having this issue randomly happen the past month, never showed up till then. I purchased my 1080 FTW from Newegg early July. Very random on when it will occur as well. I noticed everything will be fine with my rig for a week straight before the black screen, then I would have to restart to get video signal again to my monitor. Some instances it can happen within 30mins of a restart. This has happened during Battlefield 1 & 4, Battlefront and web browsing on Chrome.

Just sent in for a RMA request yesterday but keep getting errors in regards to my uploaded invoice from Newegg. Hope I can get this issue resolved soon.
nautics889
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 10:17:27 (permalink)
nextgencfl
nautics889
dmanna

Since this is a manufacturing issue are they replacing these with new ones. I feel like I bought a bunk card, and they might want to replace it with a refurb, so essentially I paid full price for a refurb. :(

I had the same Issue, with the first RMA. but Definitely Confirm with them that you want a New one. 

s1nrgy
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 12:35:54 (permalink)
Picked up my 1080 FTW hybrid from newegg two days ago and checked the shipped date. Mine was shipped out late October so I think I'll be ok hopefully.
kbajaj10
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 14:21:21 (permalink)
Is RMA definitely fixing the issues? I am curious because I have had the BS100% crash on my 1080FTW only in very specific scenarios such as in BF1 single player the test flight stage shooting the balloons and such and have not had any in other games for 2 months now. Could this crash be a game specific issue? I do not want to RMA and then end up with a refurb that did not address the problem.
dmanna
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 15:12:34 (permalink)
Nexzer
illuswing
dmanna

Same on the plane Mission, I got past the opening plane mission it was either the 2nd or 3rd part of the plane mission. I am going to replay the whole mission tonight to see if it black screens but its very strange that it only happend once in 4 or 5 games.
post edited by dmanna - 2016/11/02 15:16:28
jtiscornia
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 16:19:27 (permalink)
I had the same problem and will start the RMA process.
is there any way to find out when the card has been manufactured? (i would like to check once I receive the one i will get from RMA)
Thanks!

illuswing
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 16:45:31 (permalink)
Yesterday I tried the third mission of the Battlefield 1.

When you tried to fight as a armor soldier everything is fine, I've passed the church part like about 20 minutes around without problem.
But when another group of enemy bombers and fighters coming hot and you gotta hit them with a turret.
Then I got another black screen in this part.

Guessing if this aircraft related or what.
dmanna
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 21:57:37 (permalink)
I have no clue I replayed the Plane mission in BF1 and I did NOT get a black screen. I am confused what causes the black screen apparently it some faulty component. Other than that 1 freak incident black screen I love the GTX 1080, its amazingly fast.
JPS2K5
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/02 23:44:11 (permalink)
illuswing
Yesterday I tried the third mission of the Battlefield 1.

When you tried to fight as a armor soldier everything is fine, I've passed the church part like about 20 minutes around without problem.
But when another group of enemy bombers and fighters coming hot and you gotta hit them with a turret.
Then I got another black screen in this part.

Guessing if this aircraft related or what.

Yes, the bombs missed your screen and hit the computer case

dmanna
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/11/03 12:56:56 (permalink)
I got my RMA today, it was definitely a refurbished GTX 1080 FTW. I can see a couple of small scratches on the top of the card where the logo is. I noticed the card ran a little hotter than my first card. Hopeufully there are no issues with it. To early to tell.
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 49 of 54
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile