EVGA

GPU help needed please.

Author
dieandpuke
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/31 08:37:46 (permalink)
This could get long.  I have a 980ti hybrid. Got a second one yesterday for a good price online. New in sealed box.

Uninstalled NVidia drivers and put in new card. MOBO is a Z77 Asrock OC Formula. 850 watt OCZ ZX power supply with 4 PCIE 6/2 cables.

Upon boot up windows is not seeing the second card in device manager. BTW 10 months ago I was running 970's in SLI on the same hardware but I cannot remember whether that was Win 7 or Win 10 (Fresh install not upgrade path).

Here is what I did to trouble shoot. Canned air to see if something was in the pcie slot.

In the second slot the card DOES get power. Led's, fan, AIO fan and pump all run.

Reversed cards. Both cards work in top slot while neither is seen in device manager in second slot. Uninstalled drivers and ran DDU. Inserted cards booted to basic VGA driver and then installed Nvidia drivers and no go. Tried this with one card and both. My mobo has a physical switch to turn off/on the pcie slot. It is on or else the card would not get power at all. In bios changed back and forth from gen 3 and auto. Ran the 970's last year on Gen 3.

Put both cards in second slot leaving top empty and no go. I get 4 or five quick beeps from bios that I think is no VGA detected but I am not sure. Tried 2 or 3 versions of Nvidia drivers no go.

Changed the PCIE cables from the card in top slot to bottom slot - no go.

Here are the things I have NOT tried because I got too tired.

Try the second card in the bottom (3rd) pcie slot after removing usb cables etc. This would only run at 4x but I at could see if it would show up in device manager. Should of done that quicker but my brain was foggy as I was frustrated and very tired.

When I installed Win 10 I did not install any chipset drivers as the Asrock website still showed old stuff and Windows looked like it put in the correct stuff. Besides this issue my pc runs great. I5 3570 at 4.2, 16 gigs ram, SoundBlaster Z in PCIE 1x slot above pcie slot 1.

Remember, I did have 970's in SLI using the exact same hardware until last October when I got the first 980ti. Just not sure if it was Win & or 10. I think 7. I did uninstall the drivers when I switched.

Sidenote: Years ago I remember having to go into the registry to delete some device ID stuff because I could not get a new GPU seen in device manager on the second slot. Maybe 7950's after my 5970 but I cannot remember. Any thoughts on this!

I am at work till 5:30 CST in U.S before I can try any other fixes. First thing is 3rd pcie slot to see if slot 2 went bad. Weird since it was good a year ago.

I am very sorry that this took so long but I wanted to give as much information as I could so that the first 5 posts are not try this and try that when I already did.

IF the 3rd slot works in device manager I assume slot 2 is bad unless it is some weird registry device conflict I mentioned before.

I really do not want to reinstall windows but it is on ssd so it should not be to bad. I would go bonkers if I did a reinstall and it still did not work.

If the card gets power and looks like it works would the slot be bad????

Thanks for any ideas.

post edited by dieandpuke - 2016/08/31 11:41:04

10 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/08/31 14:57:45 (permalink)
    Does it say in the BIOS that both cards are recognized and at what Link Speed (x16/x8), like maybe in the North Bridge Configuration menu?

If you installed the Lucid VIRTU MVP software, I would uninstall it and reboot and then uninstall the Graphics Driver in Safe Mode with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstall.

Not real sure if your mobo will even work with a graphics card in any other slot besides the top/primary PCIe x16 slot or not, some do/don't..That would be really helpful to know though..Don't think you can even physically put one of your cards in the bottom PCIe x16 slot anyway, unless you take out the mobo from the case.

If you have enough free space you might create a partition on your drive and install Win7 on it to see if it works or not and see if it's an OS related problem.

Just a few thoughts here.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

dieandpuke
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/08/31 15:12:53 (permalink)
    No Lucid,  Tried it in middle by itself. Neither card works but I did use that slot by itself when I had a 5970.  It is weird that it gets power but no device manager comes up. Not even an unknown device.  I am going to try it in slot 3 pcie - that is 4x but at least I can see if windows see's it.  I am thinking of uninstalling reinstalling chipset drivers.  Some people have said power supply but why would it run 970's in sli in crisis 3 at 7680x1440 and not even boot the 980ti's in sli?

Thanks for the reply by the way!  I do not see in bios where it says which slot speed it is running 2x/3x.  I just see where I can set 2x/3x/auto for each slot but no indication what each slot is running at.  I think if I take a couple of the USB front case cables out I may be able to get it in bottom slot.

post edited by dieandpuke - 2016/08/31 15:18:10
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/08/31 15:54:19 (permalink)
    Load default BIOS settings, save , reboot

Of course take photos of your BIOS settings with your phone first

Power down, -- Remove the plug to PSU --- MB still has power when PC is "OFF" --- install second GPU

Might as well cycle the PCIe on/off switch also

Then reenter BIOS and

Turn OFF fast boot & integrated Video

Set RAM voltage to Mfg spec

Set your HD & boot order

Save & reboot

IS your BIOS latest and greatest ?

Running UEFI or Legacy mode for BIOS ?

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/31 16:13:44

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/08/31 16:06:17 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/08/31 18:38:12 (permalink)
    Make sure sli/xfire supplementary power connector is connected.

dieandpuke
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/09/01 09:26:57 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Make sure sli/xfire supplementary power connector is connected.

Thanks! was already connected.
    dieandpuke
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/09/01 09:29:20 (permalink)
    The nightmare is over!!!Thanks for the replies and.

Spent a total of 10 hours on this. But it is fixed. 

Like I mentioned I could not get the pc to see the second pcie slot in bios or device manager in windows. Tried clearing the cmos, updating bios etc. Even did a repair install of windows that keeps settings. Still nothing!

Now the fix. My bottom pcie slot only could take a single height gpu with my ps mounted on the bottom. I remembered that I had a 7800GTX somewhere. Threw it in the third slot. Bios saw it and Windows saw it in device manager. Great but that does nothing for my second pcie slot. Or so I thought!

I decided to flash the bios with the 7800 in the 3rd slot and then after a shutdown stuck it in the second slot and bios now saw it (did not give a no vga detected beep and code). So I tried to boot to windows but windows still did not see a device for the second pcie slot. I was pissed as I thought I had it since bios passed it. So this is when I did a windows repair thinking it was a device conflict or registry issue. Then I updated my Asrock mobo drivers and everything and still nothing.

So finally I just decided that since the bios sees the card in the second slot but windows does not I updated the bios with the card in second slot where I did it before with it in the 3rd slot.

Booted back into windows and almost fell out of my chair when it worked!

Do not know why or how it worked from a bios flash from a different pcie slot but I don't care. IT WORKED

Thanks again for the suggestions and help.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/09/01 09:40:09 (permalink)
    That is a strange tail; I'll add to my list of you can't make this stuff up.

Usually: clear CMOS, load default optimized BIOS, save, power off loads new hardware, reboot, turn fast boot OFF, save, reboot ----> causes the BIOS to reexamine the MB for new hardware.

Glad you are all sorted out and SLI is functioning
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/09/01 10:02:41

dieandpuke
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/09/01 10:42:44 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    That is a strange tail; I'll add to my list of you can't make this stuff up.

Usually: clear CMOS, load default optimized BIOS, save, power off loads new hardware, reboot, turn fast boot OFF, save, reboot ----> causes the BIOS to reexamine the MB for new hardware.

Glad you are all sorted out and SLI is functioning

I am 52 and in my 25 years of playing around with pc's it was definitely one of the weirder solutions!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GPU help needed please. 2016/09/01 10:56:03 (permalink)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile