Forum activity dropping?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102333
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/05 00:49:35 (permalink)
I still think we have a good forum. I hope that in the months to come activity will increase. Next month AMDs new CPU will arrive so I'm curious if people will start posting about that.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

RchUncleSkeleton
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/05 01:09:58 (permalink)
So long as we're not artificially inflating numbers by reposting news from other outlets, needlessly, I don't mind.

With Great Power, Comes Great Mistakes
RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/05 01:41:03 (permalink)
Thanks Afterburner for your insight. The correlation between getting a ticket and getting in trouble by the mods brought me to a realization. Personally I have not had a negative run in with a moderator for a very very long time. After reading various old/dead threads from the 2010-2012 range. I remembered a lot about those times, especially the forum spammers. One of them had 6K posts within 7 months and another was not far behind. With the drama that came along with all of that, it was extremely hard for anyone to manage the amount of content that was being posted to the site at that time. Which is why it personally seemed a lot more relaxed and entertaining around here during those times. Right now content is pretty slow, so it's going to be a lot easier to moderate.

I've seen many members come and go. It's just the nature of peoples interests. Not a whole lot different than a co-worker moving onto a new job or someone retiring an old game they played for a long time. Few will stay, most will move on to new things.

MSim
This place could be much better if those in charge of it would put more effort into it. All we can do as normal members is give our suggestions, the rest is up to evga. 

What use to make this place fun and entertaining for a lot of us, has been taken out back and shot. We try to kid around with each other, only to have select moderators overact at times. We make a comment a moderator doesn't like, we have a good chance of being singled out or followed around in hopes they find something we did wrong so they can yell/threaten us with.

I will admit that I'm not perfect by any means. I sometimes let things get to me that i shouldn't and overreact sometimes. I usually speak my mind about things as you guys on here probably already know.

It was nice when we had EVGA chat, that's where we could really let loose without offending for the most part.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/05 13:25:54 (permalink)
RainStryke
Thanks Afterburner for your insight. The correlation between getting a ticket and getting in trouble by the mods brought me to a realization. Personally I have not had a negative run in with a moderator for a very very long time. After reading various old/dead threads from the 2010-2012 range. I remembered a lot about those times, especially the forum spammers. One of them had 6K posts within 7 months and another was not far behind. With the drama that came along with all of that, it was extremely hard for anyone to manage the amount of content that was being posted to the site at that time. Which is why it personally seemed a lot more relaxed and entertaining around here during those times. Right now content is pretty slow, so it's going to be a lot easier to moderate.

I've seen many members come and go. It's just the nature of peoples interests. Not a whole lot different than a co-worker moving onto a new job or someone retiring an old game they played for a long time. Few will stay, most will move on to new things.

MSim
This place could be much better if those in charge of it would put more effort into it. All we can do as normal members is give our suggestions, the rest is up to evga. 

What use to make this place fun and entertaining for a lot of us, has been taken out back and shot. We try to kid around with each other, only to have select moderators overact at times. We make a comment a moderator doesn't like, we have a good chance of being singled out or followed around in hopes they find something we did wrong so they can yell/threaten us with.

I will admit that I'm not perfect by any means. I sometimes let things get to me that i shouldn't and overreact sometimes. I usually speak my mind about things as you guys on here probably already know.

It was nice when we had EVGA chat, that's where we could really let loose without offending for the most part.

Lol i remember some of those people, one even became a mod for a bit.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9430
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/05 17:09:37 (permalink)
Life happens!  

Some have families now, and got sick of the cupcakes crying to the mods.....
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/05 22:27:33 (permalink)
knightsilver
Life happens!  

Some have families now, and got sick of the cupcakes crying to the mods.....

It's more than "some people have families now". It's how the forums are being managed and amount of effort being put into improving things.

Click on one of OCN news sections, it's night and day difference between evga news sections. You see at least 5+ pages of replies from members. We also see news articles from different sources, quote from the articles, not just techpowerup url over and over and over or the word "link" posted.

brcromer
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4503
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/05 23:13:42 (permalink)

Now see here!
post edited by brcromer - 2017/02/05 23:24:57

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/06 01:24:20 (permalink)
I wish EVGA can make me a moderator. Or at least something in that realm. I want to help out with managing forum issues and ticket issues so I can help contribute to the community. That is one reason why I dont lurk around as often as I used too even though I make jokes about it(such as me having nothing else better to do with my life lol ). I feel like I have nothing to offer. I feel like me doing such things like that can allow me to give back since I am not the best when it comes to PC advice like the main 5 people that we know of on here that always post in the GPU, OCing and motherboard sections. But I must credit myself I do know some things but I am not up to speed in the latest trend of cards and boards. And the other reason why is I still dont lurk around as much is how some members "betray" you and pretend to be your friend and what not. This is not just me because I had a few members let me know about their animosity of how some members betrayed them too with it be big or small things.  But yeah is there like a moderator limit EVGA can have at one time? I would imagine they can add like 5 more moderators to help out with things. Lately I have nothing but time to help too.
post edited by HAZMAN_THE_GREAT - 2017/02/06 01:25:30

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/06 11:06:08 (permalink)
Forums are dying off, like Chat rooms already did, its that darned social media, if we can cause social media to somehow go away chat rooms, message boards, and im clients can return, but right now we are all clinging to internet 1.0 tech when our peers moved onto 2.0
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/06 15:31:40 (permalink)
candle_86
Forums are dying off, like Chat rooms already did, its that darned social media, if we can cause social media to somehow go away chat rooms, message boards, and im clients can return, but right now we are all clinging to internet 1.0 tech when our peers moved onto 2.0

Social media and sites like reddit have becoming the new "forums", but we still see forums like OCN that has 10x the member activity and web traffic evga forums receives. EVGA hasn't put effort into the forums. Years of allowing members (mods included) to post just a URL for news article topics and heavy handed moderating has taken it's toll.

If a person was looking to have a discussion about upcoming hardware or software, which industry news section would you pick to take part in.

http://forums.evga.com/Computer-Industry-News-f27.aspx

or

http://www.overclock.net/f/149/industry-news

Open up a few topics from each forums, which one promotes having a discussion to you. 

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/06 15:44:35 (permalink)
candle_86

Have to disagree there - other tech forums I visit remain busy relative to EVGA. This dying off appears mostly to be specific to EVGA forums, and coincides with some of the extreme Moderating and intolerance that has gone on here for a while now. EVGA apparently have no interest in reigning it in, so people have left, or at least cut back on their posting here and presumably have gone elsewhere. Unfortunately it takes a long time to build up a good crew like we had here, and as we've seen it can be relatively quickly destroyed. Once the damage is done... Pretty sad.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/07 04:25:34 (permalink)
MSim
candle_86

Social media and sites like reddit have becoming the new "forums", but we still see forums like OCN that has 10x the member activity and web traffic evga forums receives. EVGA hasn't put effort into the forums. Years of allowing members (mods included) to post just a URL for news article topics and heavy handed moderating has taken it's toll.

If a person was looking to have a discussion about upcoming hardware or software, which industry news section would you pick to take part in.

http://forums.evga.com/Computer-Industry-News-f27.aspx

or

http://www.overclock.net/f/149/industry-news

Open up a few topics from each forums, which one promotes having a discussion to you. 

Yea here, I felt OCN's heavy handed moderation, people are just oblivious to it for whatever reason, but I'd rather use any site over OCN. They stay active because they attract teenagers, who then ask stupid obvious questions, so no thanks
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/07 04:40:56 (permalink)
candle_86

Yea here, I felt OCN's heavy handed moderation, people are just oblivious to it for whatever reason, but I'd rather use any site over OCN. They stay active because they attract teenagers, who then ask stupid obvious questions, so no thanks

I mainly check out the news sections on front page of the forums on OCN. I don't post that often on it. I haven't seen heavy handed moderating on OCN. I do see more effort being put into News Articles posted, members that reply to them usually reply with more than one line of text.

RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/07 08:45:52 (permalink)
The whole reason I never became very active on OCN is because of their moderators. I lurk their FS/FT section from time to time, but that's about it.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

jeffro66
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6912
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/08 03:37:09 (permalink)
we have seen it fallout before 4 get it always comes back, has anyone noticed how heatware market place is booming?

case;Phanteks Enthoo 719 High Performance Full Tower  i9-12900ks MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI kingston fury beast 64gig rgb ddr5
 lian li 360b galahad aio
 ,Nvidia RTX4090 FE
,super flower 1000 platinium power supply,wd black M.2 2TB NVMe,windows11 -LG ultragear 38 inch ips monitor 
brcromer
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/12 16:00:43 (permalink)
The only way to find the forum now is to have it come up on Google.  The EVGA website needs a little updating.  Maybe instead of having to click on, "Community," to find the Forum section the sub categories could just be written out  where it can be plainly seen.

I'd also like to point out the shocking increase in cost for Video Cards and other enthusiast tech.

There is a third reason:  There are hardly any five star games like there used to be.  I remember almost every week there was some thing and then it became every month and now everything is an Indie mobile phone game.  Why bother?  Even the games included with the high dollar Video Cards are pretty mediocre.  Games used to released on the PC and go to the different console platforms.  Not anymore.

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/13 05:02:12 (permalink)
brcromer
The only way to find the forum now is to have it come up on Google.  The EVGA website needs a little updating.  Maybe instead of having to click on, "Community," to find the Forum section the sub categories could just be written out  where it can be plainly seen.

I'd also like to point out the shocking increase in cost for Video Cards and other enthusiast tech.

There is a third reason:  There are hardly any five star games like there used to be.  I remember almost every week there was some thing and then it became every month and now everything is an Indie mobile phone game.  Why bother?  Even the games included with the high dollar Video Cards are pretty mediocre.  Games used to released on the PC and go to the different console platforms.  Not anymore.

Just bookmark the forums page, that is what i do to avoid evga ugly home page. 

If you don't already, look into browser addon called Disconnect, evga allowing facebook to spy/track what pages we visit on here (only the login page is secure). 

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/13 05:26:07 (permalink)
brcromer

why not just come to the forums. Type forums.evga.com instead of www.evga.com. Notice that anytime you are in the forums, the web address starts with forums.evga
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/13 11:22:45 (permalink)
Well I have 4 kids ages 7 thru 12 and each of those kids have actvities almost daily. We have a dog that needs lots of exercise. I'm trying to get my Landcruiser ready for our Moab trip as well as Mud Lakes trip. Gym for an hour every day. Oh, and I try to work 35-40 hours per week as well. I have Zero time for gaming right now.....maybe 2-3 hours per month. I spend most of my time on ih8mud.com as my Landcuiser is my main hobby.

Long story short, although I still post, life happens and interests evolve. PC's and PC related hobbies have come and gone in waves since the early 80's. This forum is cool and will also see it's popularity come and go.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

brcromer
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/14 10:52:02 (permalink)
kaninja
Well I have 4 kids ages 7 thru 12 and each of those kids have actvities almost daily. We have a dog that needs lots of exercise. I'm trying to get my Landcruiser ready for our Moab trip as well as Mud Lakes trip. Gym for an hour every day. Oh, and I try to work 35-40 hours per week as well. I have Zero time for gaming right now.....maybe 2-3 hours per month. I spend most of my time on ih8mud.com as my Landcuiser is my main hobby.

Long story short, although I still post, life happens and interests evolve. PC's and PC related hobbies have come and gone in waves since the early 80's. This forum is cool and will also see it's popularity come and go.

So really it's kaninja's fault?  I see.

knock
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/17 20:56:49 (permalink)
New member here lol.
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/17 21:14:54 (permalink)
knock
New member here lol.

welcome to forums

knock
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/17 21:25:31 (permalink)
quadlatte
knock
New member here lol.

welcome to forums

Thanks man!
knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/18 11:47:18 (permalink)
Life happens, for sure. Never thought at 42 Id be starting over in my job dicrection "Looking at going back to school next year" and never thought Id be dating at 42 either. Girl Im dating wants children & talking about getting married, so yeah, most of the old timers got kids nowz and just bizy'er.

I dont cook like I use too, just takes alot of free time to cook whole foods, just have to find a balance. One of my sisters just had their 5th child last fall. And i get outdoors alot now too, too much screen time can lead to depression, good ol sunshine does wonders. 

Gaming hardware has gotten abit stail last few years, and where most games are console ports, really not alot of need to high powered desktops like it use to be...

brcromer
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/18 14:54:07 (permalink)
So really it's the children's fault?  I see.

knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/18 16:19:26 (permalink)
Nice to see parents spending time with their kids is a good thing!
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/19 00:41:05 (permalink)
knightsilver
Life happens, for sure. Never thought at 42 Id be starting over in my job dicrection "Looking at going back to school next year" and never thought Id be dating at 42 either. Girl Im dating wants children & talking about getting married, so yeah, most of the old timers got kids nowz and just bizy'er.

I dont cook like I use too, just takes alot of free time to cook whole foods, just have to find a balance. One of my sisters just had their 5th child last fall. And i get outdoors alot now too, too much screen time can lead to depression, good ol sunshine does wonders. 

Gaming hardware has gotten abit stail last few years, and where most games are console ports, really not alot of need to high powered desktops like it use to be...

Dating sucks lol, i was in the same boat, was seeing one girl that was umm a little younger than i (but still older than my oldest kid lol ) and she was talking about having more (she had one that was 6) and i was like nope! thankfully all three of mine are grown and my GF now kids are older, still in HS but at least not young. i couldnt do that again 

ComboSlicer
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 286
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/19 03:50:15 (permalink)
brcromer
So really it's the children's fault?  I see.

Morale of the story - don't get any kids or u can't play PC games anymore 

fearpoint
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3184
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/20 13:15:59 (permalink)
Tech section reads like bots posting all the threads.
EVGA's abandonment of evgagaming.com without any acknowledgement was bad.
The latest gaming event where AFK bots win and EVGA refusing to take action against cheaters.
Have to walk on eggshells regarding anything posted to not offend the perpetual offended.

As for "forums dying" that is hilarious. Maybe just certain forums. The gun forum I regularly use is yuge!
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Forum activity dropping? 2017/02/20 19:22:15 (permalink)
fearpoint
Tech section reads like bots posting all the threads.
EVGA's abandonment of evgagaming.com without any acknowledgement was bad.
The latest gaming event where AFK bots win and EVGA refusing to take action against cheaters.
Have to walk on eggshells regarding anything posted to not offend the perpetual offended.

As for "forums dying" that is hilarious. Maybe just certain forums. The gun forum I regularly use is yuge!

+1

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile