Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake in Taiwan Halts Production at TSMC and Other Foundries

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102382
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2024/04/03 05:07:31 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/321148/magnitude-7-2-earthquake-in-taiwan-halts-production-at-tsmc-and-other-foundries

At 07:58 local time, Taiwan was rocked by a magnitude 7.2 earthquake on the east coast which was felt nationwide and as far as to the southern parts of China and Japan. It caused some major damage in the east coast city of Hualien where the epicentre of the quake was located, as well as surrounding areas. The earthquake reportedly left seven people dead and over 700 people injured islandwide. TSMC, UMC, PSMC and Innolux all halted some of their production lines in the Hsinchu Science Park on the west coast of the island, although this is said to have been as a preventive step, rather than caused by actual damage from the earthquake.

All the above-mentioned companies also evacuated their staff from their factories due to the intensity of the quake, as it reached a magnitude of around four or five almost island wide. The semiconductor manufacturers are all inspecting their fabs now to make sure none of the equipment was damaged by the earthquake. Innolux also has a factory in the southern city of Kaohsiung and has reported that it has suspended production in Hsinchu, but that production in Kaohsiung wasn't affected. Local media in Taiwan hasn't made any mention of the likes of Micron or other chip manufacturers, but it's likely that the situation is similar, since all of these companies are located in the same areas on the island. Aftershocks have continued throughout the day and there's a risk for further big earthquakes to follow in the coming days.

It will interesting to see if this slows production down and/or possibly delays the new chips coming in the bottom half of this year. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

1 Reply Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10105
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake in Taiwan Halts Production at TSMC and Other Foundries 2024/04/03 23:10:26 (permalink)
    I am sure it will have a pretty large impact on production since any earthquake that large is going to have aftershocks for a month or two that could be almost as powerful. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't see over a dozen earthquakes above a 5 by the end of this month.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile