EVGA

Hot!PRO-TIP Converting your card to a Hybrid? Reuse the thermal pads on backplate lower temps

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jaro_irl
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: PRO-TIP Converting your card to a Hybrid? Reuse the thermal pads on backplate lower te 2021/07/14 01:48:59 (permalink)
Hmm...
rzelek506
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 303
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: PRO-TIP Converting your card to a Hybrid? Reuse the thermal pads on backplate lower te 2021/07/16 00:03:39 (permalink)
My Gelid Extreme 3mm pads arrived the other day so I installed them on my 3080ti hybrid inbetween the backplate and PCB as shown below:

These Gelid Extreme pads are a lot more flexible (and messy) than the old 2mm AIYUNNI pads I had but they seem to provide some better contact between the backplate and PCB.

Benchmarking settings:
  • Memory +1300MHz
  • Voltage +50mV
  • Power Maxed out
  • Fan Profile in OC mode
  • Took temperature measurements once the GPU Memory Utilization reached 85% 

The result was that the AIYUNNI pads peaked with a max memory temp of 92C, which took about one hour of gaming to get that hot.
Whereas the Gelid 3mm Extreme Pads peaked with a max memory junction temp of 90C, and it took about three hours of gaming to get that hot.
So there's at least a 2C improvement with the Gelid Extreme 3mm pads vs the AIYUNNI 2mm pads.

Before any backplate pads, I was seeing memory peaks of 96C (but with no OC and while playing a different game), and now with these Gelid pads I'm peaking at 90C, which is at least a 6C improve, so I'm happy with that and happy that I don't have to tear apart my card completely to get this memory temp improved.

Thank you KingEngine for the tips and advice!

post edited by rzelek506 - 2021/07/16 00:06:24

Attached Image(s)

ozarkamax
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: PRO-TIP Converting your card to a Hybrid? Reuse the thermal pads on backplate lower te 2024/05/06 14:50:04 (permalink)
i find this thread interesting and since 30 series is still relevant and people tend to use hardware until it dies or needs to be replaced, i wanted to document my attempts at this same idea. 

I used kritical pads since i had ordered two sets for my converted-to-hybrid 3080 ti ftw3 ultra.  i noticed the 2.25mm pads kritical pads uses on the front side made zero contact with the back plate, so i ... kinda stack some of the other pads on top of those.  I am seeing ... eh maybe 3c difference with my haphazard stacked pad solution (from 86 c to 82/83c).  I will be ordering a sheet of 3.0mm kritical pads and testing soonish. kritical pads are pretty squishy and may provide excellent transfer to the backplate; when evenly contacting that backplate lol...

if anybody sees this necro, has anyone tried different heatsinks mounted in the hybrid kit shroud?  most likely would have to be a modded hybrid kit to accommodate that.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile