EVGA

Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either

Author
hansangb
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/02/24 18:44:29 (permalink)
So do I have a bad MB?  I have the 270 Classified.  When I go into SATA configurations, I only see ports 0-3 (the Intel ones).  I can't see 4-7 (it's not even listed).  Also, when I go to boot order, there is no way to select the SATA drives as boot disks. 

I just upgraded to 1.02 Bios but it didn't help.  Anyone run into this?

thx

10 Replies Related Threads

Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/24 23:54:56 (permalink)
    need the Marvell drivers for those BUT I have not tried  using the ports ( on my list for this weekend)

can you still see the boot disk in the boot over ride in the BIOS save and exit menu ?

I was using enable and disable setting to try to dual boot - almost worked but windows-10 would throw a fit and had to repair.

Disable the M.2 items if you are not using them - they disable some SATA ports when in use.
    AND don't bounce back and forth between raid and non-raid in the BIOS setting switches.
    --------
    I am NOT a Win-10 person and forgot to read the fine print about using the NEW crabby lake CPU chips as Windows 10 only.
    post edited by Cordorb - 2017/02/24 23:57:12

hansangb
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/25 07:38:06 (permalink)
    Thanks.  The M.2 are all disabled.  My problem is that before Windows even boots, I can't specify the SATA (Intel) as a boot device.  And the Marvell ports don't even show up in the list of SATA devices in BIOS' SATA settings. But if I boot into Acronis, I can see my SSD partitions.

Finally, this is a Win10 x64 that was running on Z170.  So the Marvell drivers are known to Windows - I guess it can be a different driver.  But again, before Windows even gets involved, I can't get BIOS to recognize the Marvell ports. I don't even have the CTRL-M option during boot to get into Marvell.  I should, at the very list, see the Marvell ports listed in BIOS, shouldn't I?

Thanks

post edited by hansangb - 2017/02/25 07:52:09
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/25 17:57:57 (permalink)
    do you have a drive connected to the marvel ports?

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    hansangb
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/25 19:36:44 (permalink)
    I should hope so!   
    I've tried just the one SSD, Bluray drive, regular HDs, etc.  Nothing connected to Marvell shows up in BIOS. 
    And on Intel SATA, I can't choose the SATA as the boot priority 1.   But the two SSDs connected to Intel SATA show up in the correct ports (0 and 1, 2 & 3 are EMPTY) in BIOS. 

Cordorb
    SSC Member
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/25 21:44:56 (permalink)
    1. have  you installed the just released BIOS update 1.02  ?
    I was having problems with BIOS 1.01 not seeing some  items -- 
    IF not sounds like you will need to do that Via the USB flash stick path.

2. Which CPU chip ?

SATA slots going down for memory slots
    top -- under
    ----------
    (-)-----(-) The small socket
    ----------

----------
    (7)----(6)   Marvell SATA3 6G
    -----------
    (5)----(4)
    -----------

------------
    (0)----(2)   SATA 3
    (1)----(3) 
    (-)----(-) The small socket
    -------------

hansangb
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/25 22:10:40 (permalink)
    Already tried 1.02. CPU is 7700K
    Cordorb
    SSC Member
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/25 22:33:52 (permalink)
    I just tried a Sata SSD in marvell sata slot 5
    This is just a data disk used and formatted on another system

rebooted into BIOS and don't really see it there under SATA list

BUT it does show up as a disk in Windows 10
    and you can see :
    check you device manager and
    under storage controllers
     see if Marvell 92xx SATA 6G controller is there.

I also see it under DISK Drives in device manager
    and it shows up under portable device as it still has on the hot swap flag set.

Make sure  under BIOS ADVANCED  : onboard device configuration
    you see Marvell SATA controller
    it is right under USB 3.1 controller and USB 3.0 controller on my bios

If you see all that for a non-bootable disk in a Marvell slot than I guess next step 
    is using the bottom part ofthe BIOS  BOOT tab slide down to the bottom
    and check out that area. This seems to let you select more boot options than the few in the above area.
    (UEFI hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities)

I am at the end of what I have tried doing with this new MB
    I have avoided Marvell for years (but wanted to also try it again)

post edited by Cordorb - 2017/02/25 22:52:57

cjsquirrel
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/26 12:34:31 (permalink)
    I am using marvell ports 4 and 5 for an ssd and an old spinner drive. I have a Samsung 960 pro in m.2 slot 2 (80mm) for my boot drive. I am having the same results as you not seeing the marvell sata listed in the bios only the intel ones.
    Marvell of course is enabled in the sata configuration tab and I installed bios 1.02 and the marvell drivers installed as well. They show up fine in device manager and drives work great in windows. A future bios update would include the marvell sata? Not sure.
    So I don't think it is you're motherboard. Only thing I don't like is the 2 drives show up in the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' tab in windows. From what I understand there is no option to turn off hot swapping with the marvell like you can with the intel.
    May switch to ports 0 and 1 because of this (2 and 3 disabled because of the m.2 drive installed) as I already turned off hot swapping in the bios. Other then that all is running great and I having a blast with my Z270 classy!
    hansangb
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/26 16:10:55 (permalink)
    I finally got it to work.  In the BIOS setup, I had to use LEGACY instead of UEFI for the boot setup (the option above the Boot Order option"

Once I did that, I could select the SSD in port 0 of Intel SSD.  And when it boots, I see the Marvell connected SATA devices during the boot up sequence. 

Thanks all for everyone's help!

Hansang
    Cordorb
    SSC Member
    Re: Can't boot from SSD, no Marvell SATA devices either 2017/02/27 00:22:13 (permalink)
    I was just logging in to say I saw a note about using "LEGACY"  at overclock site but for a different motherboard and there was no information about the downside of doing that and I did not want to test
    without more information

Using LEGACY on USB never seemed to cause problems.
    Hope we get more information form others on Monday if that is the only fix.

VERY glad you get it working

As to  "turn off hot swapping" at least for normal SATA ports even with a small workaround for the M.2.
    SATA can turn off  hot swapping if you disable the port BEFORE adding the device ie for M.2 you disable the M.2 in BIOS device.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile