Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Zorton Maverick
  • Total Posts : 84
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/02/25 06:05:14 (permalink)
I have signed up for the ICX Upgrade for my 1080 ACX but mainly due to the fact that I want to stepup to 1080TI (thanks to the additional 90 days offered via upgrade).
However, if rumours are true and the impending 1080TI is announced with release date at the end of March - would it be possible to 
just pay the €99 upgrade fee for ICX program but just stepup from ACX 1080 to 1080 TI ?
The advantages to this would mean less time without a GPU and savings in regards to P&P with returning cards (around €60 approx).
Would be great if the option was available..
Has this been considered ?

31 Replies Related Threads

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1794
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 07:46:05 (permalink)
    I wish I know too, but until the 1080 ti is announced, EVGA won't tell you.

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 08:50:36 (permalink)
    If you take a look at the chart, it clearly shows that for the iCX upgrade you must have the ACX version of the card to upgrade the the iCX version. So unless you currently own a 1080 Ti ACX card, it's not going to happen. http://www.evga.com/icxupgrade/

EVGA also specifies that this is an UPGRADE program, not the STEP-UP program - so no, you can't step-up from a 1080 ACX to a 1080 Ti (*****at this time***** (it may change for the STEP-UP (not UPGRADE) program)).

So, yes - you are paying $99 to upgrade to the iCX version of your card, yet you'll also have your 90 day step-up window reset. Which will hopefully allow us to step-up to EVGA 1080 Ti cards (if Nvidia doesn't pull another "only us" release like with the Titans).
    post edited by arestavo - 2017/02/25 08:53:28
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 09:34:38 (permalink)
    arestavo
    If you take a look at the chart, it clearly shows that for the iCX upgrade you must have the ACX version of the card to upgrade the the iCX version. So unless you currently own a 1080 Ti ACX card, it's not going to happen. http://www.evga.com/icxupgrade/

EVGA also specifies that this is an UPGRADE program, not the STEP-UP program - so no, you can't step-up from a 1080 ACX to a 1080 Ti (*****at this time***** (it may change for the STEP-UP (not UPGRADE) program)).

So, yes - you are paying $99 to upgrade to the iCX version of your card, yet you'll also have your 90 day step-up window reset. Which will hopefully allow us to step-up to EVGA 1080 Ti cards (if Nvidia doesn't pull another "only us" release like with the Titans).

+1

Those are two separate transactions.  Only if your current 1080 ACX was within the 90 day window, would a Step-Up be possible.

As you cannot Step-Up a Step-Up the current iCX program is a very generous reset of the 90 day window.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ipaine
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 307
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 12:00:28 (permalink)
    I posted this in another thread but it pertains to this one:

Oh I know the the ICX upgrade and the step-up are different programs. I'm just guessing there will be a decent number that are doing the upgrade with the thought of bringing them back into having a chance to step up to the 1080ti. Frankly (and not saying they would do this at all, highly doubtful) it would actually be cheaper for Evga as well. I mean if they offered a special hybrid step-up. Basically for people that qualify for the ICX upgrade allow them to step up to the TI just with the extra $99 on top. That way Evga gets the same amount of money they would have and they only have to ship out a card once, instead of sending out the ICX only to have to get it back in a step-up.

Like i said, I highly doubt Evga would do this, but it would be beneficial for both Evga and the customer. And of course this is all depending on what nvidia announces in 3 days.

And I still stand by that statement. It would be beneficial for both Evga and the customer so it seems like a win win. Even better it could be only offered to those that apply for the ICX upgrade before the 28th cut off. Cause lets face it, sending acx into evga (my shipping cost), them sending me icx (their shipping), then me sending icx back in for step-up to ti (my shipping cost) and then they send me a 1080ti (their shipping cost). There is a lot of extra shipping and paper work involved for both sides. Too be honest it makes way more sense from a business standpoint to do it offer something like a hybrid step-up in this case. Like I said, it would be win win for everyone involved.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 12:15:27 (permalink)
    ipaine

Oh I know the the ICX upgrade and the step-up are different programs. I'm just guessing there will be a decent number that are doing the upgrade with the thought of bringing them back into having a chance to step up to the 1080ti. Frankly (and not saying they would do this at all, highly doubtful) it would actually be cheaper for Evga as well. I mean if they offered a special hybrid step-up. Basically for people that qualify for the ICX upgrade allow them to step up to the TI just with the extra $99 on top. That way Evga gets the same amount of money they would have and they only have to ship out a card once, instead of sending out the ICX only to have to get it back in a step-up.

Like i said, I highly doubt Evga would do this, but it would be beneficial for both Evga and the customer. And of course this is all depending on what nvidia announces in 3 days.

And I still stand by that statement. It would be beneficial for both Evga and the customer so it seems like a win win. Even better it could be only offered to those that apply for the ICX upgrade before the 28th cut off. Cause lets face it, sending acx into evga (my shipping cost), them sending me icx (their shipping), then me sending icx back in for step-up to ti (my shipping cost) and then they send me a 1080ti (their shipping cost). There is a lot of extra shipping and paper work involved for both sides. Too be honest it makes way more sense from a business standpoint to do it offer something like a hybrid step-up in this case. Like I said, it would be win win for everyone involved.

Issue #1. Nvidia announced only officially announced that they wiuld be holding the Ti event on the 21st. Evga had already set the deadline prior to that. We still dont know when nvidia is actually going to release the card. With the 1080, it was 3 week prior to the nvidia launch and over a month before AIB could sell them.

Who wants to possibly wait a month and a half without a card?
    Zorton Maverick
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 14:02:13 (permalink)
    My thoughts are the same as "iPaine" who posted above.
    Another advantage for EVGA would be that the 1080 ICX Upgrade card would be still "NEW" and unused.

crazyg0od33
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2085
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 14:32:06 (permalink)
    yeah I was planning on doing a step up as well, but I have no clue when it would happen...doing less paperwork / shipping would be really nice
    ipaine
    iCX Member
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 14:53:26 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    ipaine

Issue #1. Nvidia announced only officially announced that they wiuld be holding the Ti event on the 21st. Evga had already set the deadline prior to that. We still dont know when nvidia is actually going to release the card. With the 1080, it was 3 week prior to the nvidia launch and over a month before AIB could sell them.

Who wants to possibly wait a month and a half without a card?

You wouldn't have to wait a month without a card. I know that this could bug the few people that have already gotten the ICX, but the rest of us would just say re-enter a new hybrid queue. Basically as long as you get into the limited upgrade queue before the 28th, then my idea just means you wait using your current acx, until the 1080ti is ready for you, same basic idea as now with the icx. Once a TI is ready for you evga emails you, you pay the step-up cost + $99 and then ship in acx, they check it and once all good they send the TI.

And yes this would of course hinge on actual release dates and such. Not saying that they would do this or that it can even be done, since we don't know the actual release date for the TI. But if the dates work then this is better. And really you would be out of a card way less then the way someone will have to do it now. Since you will be out when waiting for ICX and then again once waiting for TI. 

Either way once we know the official dates we will be able to see if this idea is feasible or not.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 14:57:41 (permalink)
    Since the window closes the 28th for the upgrade, it is unlikely. I see what you mean though. Just remember, the upgrade isnt and hasnt been part of the step up program.

One thing for people to be careful of is their own steo up window before the icx upgrade. If they are close to the end of their step up, and miss the upgrade and the step up window they are going to be upset and there isnt anything evga could do for them. As long as peple make a decision before the 28th, and stick with it, then they ahiuld be happy either way.
    ipaine
    iCX Member
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 15:04:11 (permalink)
    Oh and one more HUGE bonus that would come from this. I would only have to explain that I am upgrading my cards to my wife once. As it stands I'm going to have to say I am upgrading them, and then a month later say I am upgrading them again, that's a tough sell.

So please evga, save us from our wives!!

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 17:16:04 (permalink)
    ipaine
    Oh and one more HUGE bonus that would come from this. I would only have to explain that I am upgrading my cards to my wife once. As it stands I'm going to have to say I am upgrading them, and then a month later say I am upgrading them again, that's a tough sell.

Uh, yeah, couldn't agree more. Seriously, not joking.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 17:38:41 (permalink)
    You guys better keep that stuff on the down low or...

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/25 19:54:44 (permalink)
    Hey, happy wife, happy me. I will turn in my card now if I can make that work.

Nozler
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2043
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/27 10:10:35 (permalink)
    LFaWolf
    ipaine

1+ Saaaave meee

heatware

rla1999
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 292
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/02/27 11:05:59 (permalink)
    LOL. At least you guys already have 1080s. When I told mine I am upgrading her response was: "but you upgraded recently". Yeah, that was November 2014.

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF X (Blue Edition)
    CPU: I7 5930K
    MB: Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1
    RAM: 64GB's Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz
    GPU: GTX 1080 TI FE
    PSU: 1000W Rosewill Extreme
    SSD: 480GB Kingston HyperX SATA III 6GB/s
    HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 4TB Western Digital
    MONITOR: Acer Predator XB271HU
    [/
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 796
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/01 15:59:55 (permalink)
    LFaWolf
    ipaine

This. And what's more, the idea that I'm spending this money for the 35% boost in performance over the current 1080 is that it's much easier to justify an upgrade to my wife, rather than a whole new purchase, even if the upgrades happen at a pace that averages out to the same thing as buying a whole new card a little less often. 

Once you've been married a few years this sort of thing just goes without saying. For the rest of you, just wait. :-)

Happy EVGA customer.  Affiliate Code: 0Y7-1VU-ATW2

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

Zorton Maverick
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/10 14:40:11 (permalink)
    Now that the TI has dropped, is there anything been suggested around those still waiting to upgrade to ICX then stepup to TI ?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/11 00:43:10 (permalink)
    Zorton Maverick
    Now that the TI has dropped, is there anything been suggested around those still waiting to upgrade to ICX then stepup to TI ?

ChrisB stated before the release that everyone will have to orocess through the upgrade to be able to utilize the step up.
    Zorton Maverick
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/11 00:53:30 (permalink)
    OK, thanks Scarlet. Always super helpful with your responses and it's appreciated. Apologies if repetition. Forums hit hard.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/11 01:07:44 (permalink)
    Zorton Maverick
    OK, thanks Scarlet. Always super helpful with your responses and it's appreciated. Apologies if repetition. Forums hit hard.

You're fine. Posts quickly get lost in the excitement.
    oblivionjosh
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/13 13:08:15 (permalink)
    I'm also wanting to upgrade my 1080 FTW to a 1080 Ti FTW3.
    The upgrade seems like a massive inconvenience & waste of money for both me and EVGA...

1. Having to send my "1080 FTW" away for a "1080 FTW 2 (ICX)" to reset my step-up program.
    2. Then send my new "1080 FTW 2 (ICX)" away for a 1080 Ti...

Surely they can just let me directly upgrade to the 1080 Ti and I can pay the difference for the ICX and the Ti?
    That way everyone wins & I don't have to needlessly send away two cards.

post edited by oblivionjosh - 2017/03/13 13:14:55
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/13 13:25:49 (permalink)
    The programs are exclusive.

Unless your in the 90 day window of your purchase direct step-up is not an option

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

ipaine
    iCX Member
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/13 13:31:16 (permalink)
    oblivionjosh
    I'm also wanting to upgrade my 1080 FTW to a 1080 Ti FTW3.
    The upgrade seems like a massive inconvenience & waste of money for both me and EVGA...

1. Having to send my "1080 FTW" away for a "1080 FTW 2 (ICX)" to reset my step-up program.
    2. Then send my new "1080 FTW 2 (ICX)" away for a 1080 Ti...

Surely they can just let me directly upgrade to the 1080 Ti and I can pay the difference for the ICX and the Ti?
    That way everyone wins & I don't have to needlessly send away two cards.

Well while I completely agree (shipping will be about $240 after both of my cards end up being 1080ti's) it is sadly not to be. This is the response I got from EVGA regarding the matter:

Hello,

There was much discussion over this issue, and unfortunately we decided that customers would need to complete the entire iCX Upgrade process before being able to start a step-up. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Regards,
    EVGA

So yup we are out of luck. To be honest, it doesn't make much sense. It would have been saving EVGA easily thousands of dollars in shipping and also not having to send a bunch of ICX cards out to be returned again right away. And of course it would have saved their customers thousands in shipping as well and the considerable time people will be without cards would have been reduced. But that's that. And not to say I am not grateful for the ICX program, because I am. Just the fact that I will be able to move to the 1080ti after I get the ICX is a huge plus. I just wish they had decided in favor of this win-win.
    Doyzer
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/13 14:09:39 (permalink)
    Agree, it doesn't make sense to ship twice. Probably too late to change since the early adopters have already taken advantage of the upgrade and shipped their old cards.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/13 14:17:06 (permalink)
    If you are out of your 90 day Step-UP, you would be totally out of luck normally --- If the iCX Upgrade did not exist, which happens to start a New 90 day Step-Up

I understand the concept of time and cost of shipping twice to take advantage of both Programs

EVGA made these Option available and there is a path if you choose to follow it

toncij
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 213
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/13 15:16:03 (permalink)
    One more thing is: ACX -> ICX is $99 and then ICX -> 1080Ti FE is $170. Thats $269 to step up from an ACX card you already paid $730. Thats $1000 for a 1080Ti... 
    ipaine
    iCX Member
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/13 15:25:52 (permalink)
    toncij
    One more thing is: ACX -> ICX is $99 and then ICX -> 1080Ti FE is $170. Thats $269 to step up from an ACX card you already paid $730. Thats $1000 for a 1080Ti... 

Actually no, well it all depends on the card you are going from. For example if you have the 1080 FTW acx and go to the ICX, it is $99 for the upgrade then $20 for the step-up. The price used is the price of the ICX when we joined the icx upgrade program that was before the price drops. So $679 us for the 1080 FTW.
    toncij
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 213
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/13 16:05:52 (permalink)
    ipaine
    toncij

Actually no, well it all depends on the card you are going from. For example if you have the 1080 FTW acx and go to the ICX, it is $99 for the upgrade then $20 for the step-up. The price used is the price of the ICX when we joined the icx upgrade program that was before the price drops. So $679 us for the 1080 FTW.

Oh I see. That's a bit better. :)
    Still not sure if I want a 250W card at all... tbh. Constantly thinking how inconvenient that will be...
    oblivionjosh
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Query - ACX to ICX Upgrade to 1080TI Stepup 2017/03/14 12:55:53 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    If you are out of your 90 day Step-UP, you would be totally out of luck normally --- If the iCX Upgrade did not exist, which happens to start a New 90 day Step-Up

I understand the concept of time and cost of shipping twice to take advantage of both Programs

EVGA made these Option available and there is a path if you choose to follow it

Yes but the path available is flawed and wastes money for both the customer and EVGA.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile