EVGA

GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle

Author
DericHicks
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/12/09 08:32:16 (permalink)
I'm hoping you all can help me with this - this is crazy bizarre to me.  When idle or not particularly using a lot of GPU, my fans will go full blast on my GTX 690.  What's really odd is I can make it slow down by turning on a GPU-intensive game.  When looking at HWMonitor it's showing my fans going ~2940 RPM in idle, but when I start a game up, it drops down to 1600 RPM or so and slowly increases correctly to handle the load on the GPU.

To continue the weirdness, PrecisionX is reporting the fan speed at 43% which is what the fan settings say it should be going.  It's like PrecisionX is requesting the fan speed to be 43% but the card is giving it the finger and just going full blast.  Have any of you seen something like this before?  I've attached what I think are the relevant images, but feel free to let me know if you need something else I'm not showing or mentioning.

Attached Image(s)

9 Replies Related Threads

FUSIONCHA0S
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 354
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2013/12/09 10:45:38 (permalink)
    I know this sounds stupid, but have you re-installed precision? Have you also changed the GPU fan settings within precision?  

DericHicks
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2013/12/09 10:55:17 (permalink)
    I didn't even install precision until I noticed this happening.  It started a few months ago, and I finally have gotten sick of it.  I installed Precision to see if it would control the fans but it didn't help.  I haven't really touched any of the settings within Precision.
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2013/12/09 11:07:03 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA forums

Fan issues like you describe are almost always caused by third party software, like HWMonitor/Precision/AIDA and or motherboard software like the ASUS AI Suite...

The problem is that such software uses "sensors" on the videocard thru a injection into the Nvidia driver.
    Too many programs at once (a sensor conflict called SMB) or one of the programs is NOT working correctly with a newer Nvidia driver.

Look in your TaskManger/Processes list and then uninstall or shut down such software until you find the offender
    *some of these "monitoring" programs may start at boot and will need to be removed from the startup list in MSCONFIG or uninstalled

DericHicks
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2013/12/09 11:13:19 (permalink)
    To be honest, I'm not sure what software it could be.  I didn't put HWMonitor or Precision on my system until I got sick of the problem and tried to isolate it.  I don't have anything motherboard-related installed, such as AI Suite.  I run a very, very minimalist machine, with most of my apps being portable and not requiring installation and not running on startup.

The only software I can think of that runs that may have any impact at all is the GeForce Experience application, but the problem existed before I even installed that.  And I do have the latest drivers.  Is it possible nVidia's GeForce Experience application or driver (331.82) is causing the problem?
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2013/12/09 11:22:22 (permalink)
    What OS version are you using?
    Can you post a pic of your MSCONFIG/Startup tab and your TaskManager/Processes tab so we can see what might be causing the issue...

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2013/12/09 11:22:27 (permalink)
    Double post
    post edited by maniacvvv - 2013/12/09 11:25:54

rgbfx1
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2013/12/12 11:31:16 (permalink)
    I just installed a gtx 780 ti (ACX cooler) and had the same thing.  The fans were jet-engine-loud even though the system was just sitting idle on the desktop screen.  I opened up the case and found that one of the two fans was not spinning at all while the other one was crazy fast.  Turns out that after assembling the system and moving it in place a loose cable wedged itself in there and was preventing one fan from working.  I guess it was a safety mechanism that made the other fan go full throttle.  I shut down, cleared the obstruction, powered up again, and now both fans are spinning at a low quiet hum.
    ronnyjr
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2017/02/22 03:23:06 (permalink)
    I know this is an old post, but i have the same problem as OP with my GTX 690. It's as if it was me posting this.. 

OP, did you find a solution?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 680 Fans - Full Speed in Idle 2017/02/22 11:47:48 (permalink)
    ronnyjr
    I know this is an old post, but i have the same problem as OP with my GTX 690. It's as if it was me posting this.. 

OP, did you find a solution?

The OP has been inactive since December 9th 2013. I would recommend doing the following to see if it helps fix your problem...

#1 Remove GPU fan shroud and make sure the GPU fan cable is fully seated and secure to the GPU PCB fan header.

#2 Make sure the card is fully seated to the MB. Make sure the PCI-E power cables are fully seated and secure at the PSU side & GPU side.

#3 Uninstall all monitoring software. (Precision, Afterburner, Speedfan, HWMonitor, etc.)

#4 Perform a clean installation of the most recent video drivers:
    • Uninstall Precision X/MSI Afterburner if installed, make sure to select "no" to saving profiles if asked.  Reboot the PC now if you had to uninstall PX or Afterburner.
    • Use DDU (Display driver uninstaller) in safe mode to clean out all your nvidia drivers. Use the clean and restart (highly recommended) option.
    • Download & save the most recent graphics driver to your desktop. You can find the most recent graphics driver here.
    • Run the graphics installer located on your desktop once the download is complete.
    • Select custom advanced install, under custom installation options uncheck all options except graphics driver & physx system software, if you have a 3D capable monitor and would like to use 3D at some point please select both 3D options, check mark perform clean install, then click next to install the driver, reboot when asked.
    If you're still having problems after performing steps 1-4 RMA the card as the fan controller on the GPU has a problem.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile