3-pin fan connector voltage regulation

Author
Sleipnir23
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/02/20 11:05:14 (permalink)
Hello guys,

I'm using a EVGA X99 Micro(1) mainboard. I got a question not specific to this mainboard so I skip the rest of my config ;)

I'm planing to install a AIO watercooling solution from Alphacool (Eisbaer and Eiswolf). Both pumps have 3-pin fan connectors for power. Both are capable of running at 7 volts for less noise and vibrations. I'd like to plug both pumps to the X99 Micro mainboard. There are two 3-pin fan connectors at the bottom of the mainboard which can regulate the voltage within the UEFI. I can choose betwenn 0 and 100 percent in 5% steps. Is this scale linear? Does 50% equals 6 volts, 0% equals 0 volts (and of course 100% equals 12 volts)? So 60% are aproximately 7 volts? Correct?

Regards
Torben from Germany

Sorry, something went wrong. A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.

5 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: 3-pin fan connector voltage regulation 2017/02/20 11:30:38 (permalink)
    You may want to contact EVGA's tech support about this  >>  http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: 3-pin fan connector voltage regulation 2017/02/20 19:58:15 (permalink)
    Sleipnir23
    Hello guys,

I'm using a EVGA X99 Micro(1) mainboard. I got a question not specific to this mainboard so I skip the rest of my config ;)

I'm planing to install a AIO watercooling solution from Alphacool (Eisbaer and Eiswolf). Both pumps have 3-pin fan connectors for power. Both are capable of running at 7 volts for less noise and vibrations. I'd like to plug both pumps to the X99 Micro mainboard. There are two 3-pin fan connectors at the bottom of the mainboard which can regulate the voltage within the UEFI. I can choose betwenn 0 and 100 percent in 5% steps. Is this scale linear? Does 50% equals 6 volts, 0% equals 0 volts (and of course 100% equals 12 volts)? So 60% are aproximately 7 volts? Correct?

Regards
    Torben from Germany

Hello,

the fan headers on the board can provide voltage up to 12v frequency. The real question you should be asking is the amps each header can provide.

With that being said the amps provided by a single header is 1A. That should be sufficient to run your pumps (do not use a fan splitter, run each pump on their own header)
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 3-pin fan connector voltage regulation 2017/02/20 20:10:25 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MDecker
    Sleipnir23
    Hello guys,

Regards
    Torben from Germany

Hello,

the fan headers on the board can provide voltage up to 12v frequency. The real question you should be asking is the amps each header can provide.

With that being said the amps provided by a single header is 1A. That should be sufficient to run your pumps (do not use a fan splitter, run each pump on their own header)

He's fine with the amount of current the pump is going to draw, about 4 watts. He's asking how accurate is the voltage scaling from zero to 12v. For example is 50%, 6v  and if it is, 6v +- what percentage.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

GarrettL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 157
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3-pin fan connector voltage regulation 2017/02/20 21:00:40 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    EVGATech_MDecker
    Sleipnir23
    Hello guys,

Regards
    Torben from Germany

Hello,

He's fine with the amount of current the pump is going to draw, about 4 watts. He's asking how accurate is the voltage scaling from zero to 12v. For example is 50%, 6v  and if it is, 6v +- what percentage.

This comes down to a basic RMS calculation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square 

Luckily for a square wave (which you can assume that a FET PWM pulse would approximately be) you can simply divide the supplied voltage by the duty cycle as described in the wiki article. 

So long answer short, yes this is about 6V. As far as tolerances (+/- what %) we don't really have an answer for you but if you really need this I can check with the PM team 

Edit: technically this would be multiplication since 12V * .50 = 6V
    Sleipnir23
    • Total Posts : 22
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 3-pin fan connector voltage regulation 2017/02/21 05:00:27 (permalink)
    EVGATech_GarrettL
    HeavyHemi

This comes down to a basic RMS calculation:  

Luckily for a square wave (which you can assume that a FET PWM pulse would approximately be) you can simply divide the supplied voltage by the duty cycle as described in the wiki article. 

So long answer short, yes this is about 6V. As far as tolerances (+/- what %) we don't really have an answer for you but if you really need this I can check with the PM team 

Edit: technically this would be multiplication since 12V * .50 = 6V

thanks for the answers. That's the information I needed. I don't have to hit exactly 7V. As long as I can aproximatly interpolate the voltage as a straight line, I'm fine. Since fan motors don't decrease their speed linear to the dropping voltage input, I wondered whether the percentage increments in the UEFI represent e.g. squared or logarithmic voltage regulation.

Sorry, something went wrong. A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile