EVGA

Precision XOC 6.0.7 forcing max GPU clock on idle?

Author
Zaemon _K
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/10/02 19:53:47 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,  I just noticed this after the recent update of precXoc.  I have precision to start with OS,  When the program starts with the system at idle and no programs running the GPU clock has been stuck to max clock with K boost OFF, and yes causing temps to raise a few degrees.  I fiddled around with the settings on main 960ssc / win10x64 and a 2nd pc /Dell with a 950ftw / win7 x64 (***realized after posting that this Dell pc was on precXoc 6.0.6) 
With Nvidia control panel set to prefer Maximum Performance seems to cause the issue.  If you change to Adaptive then click apply nothing changes at all however, if you click K boost on wait a few seconds for the effect to take then click K boost off...wait for it...wait for it ~10 seconds after the clocks drop to normal idle & lower idle temps.  I thought I was going crazy because prefer max did not do this to me previously. I looked at the description of the power management mode in Nvidia Control panel "Prefer max performance maintains the GPU at max when 3D applications are running, now  that's where Im curious is it Precision showing itself as a 3D program or is this the new Nvidia driver as the culprit?  Kinda odd issue just thought I would share here if anyone's interested
post edited by Zaemon _K - 2016/10/02 20:08:39

3 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Precision XOC 6.0.7 forcing max GPU clock on idle? 2016/10/02 21:12:51 (permalink)
    Does seem a little odd, though I do not know why it is acting this way. 

I would suggest a clean install, using DDU to wipe any old drivers.

OC software like MSI AB or Precision X, should be uninstalled first, then DDU drivers, then reinstall OC software - for best stability

I run DDU, and custom install the EVGA / Nvidia drivers --- Only selecting PhysX and the actual GPU driver, none of the other "stuff" and select clean install. ( I do NOT load GeForce Experience software, Nvidia 3D drivers, Nvidia Sound )

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Zaemon _K
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Precision XOC 6.0.7 forcing max GPU clock on idle? 2016/10/02 21:33:09 (permalink)
    Yep,  I should of mentioned I did do just that^(no DDU though), and still had the issue which is why I made the post.  kinda odd
    jdubstep
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Precision XOC 6.0.7 forcing max GPU clock on idle? 2017/02/20 00:47:46 (permalink)
    i fixed my issue. when i disconnected a monitor from my three monitor setup, it defaulted my refresh rates on the other 2 to 60hz. after i set both of them back to 144hz, the clock went back to what it normally was (roughly 1.28 GHz idle). to do this, right click on the desktop. select screen resolution. right click on one of the monitors. select properties. click on the monitor tab. drag and drop down the refresh rate to what is supported by the monitor itself. hit apply. repeat as necessary. it may not work for you, but this is what the issue was for me. ;)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile