Stepping up GTX 1080

Author
splashie62
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/02/10 18:20:56 (permalink)
Hi!

Today I read the news that the new GTX 1080 FTW 2 has finally been released, however I am very confused to see that in order to upgrade to the improved cooler EVGA requires us to pay €99,99 Also everyone can take advantage of this offer, not only those who are within their 3 months of step-up.

Upon purchase I chose EVGA over any other brand because of two reasons: 1. Warranty and 2. Step-up Programm. 
In the Step-up programm they mention the following: 

Graphics Cards Examples:
  • GTX 780 Ti → GTX 980: YES (Upgraded GPU)
    GTX 960 2GB → GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX2.0+ 1GB: YES (Upgraded Memory)
    GTX 970 FTW → GTX 970 FTW+ : YES (Upgraded Model)
My GTX 1080 FTW is only 6 weeks old so far, thus I am still qualified for the Step-up programm. According to the Step-up page you may also step up to upgraded models, which is exactly what has happened here. My question is: Can I step-up to the new model, without having to pay the €99,99? 

Many of the by EVGA invited YouTubers have shown that the new model is nearly 10% more efficient in cooling performance, also the idea of gaming with a "peae of mind" is something I find appealing, as I rather not have a GPU that may or may not cause a fire. (The whole reason this new model was researched and brought out.)

I'm looking forward to a reply from EVGA and ofcourse other members feel free to share your thoughts.

12 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/10 18:27:35 (permalink)
    splashie62
    My question is: Can I step-up to the new model, without having to pay the €99,99?

Nope.
    splashie62
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/10 18:44:22 (permalink)
    A bit weird don't you think? EVGA offering a Step-up programm, yet when they find a method to earn money out of it the rules change. I seen other posts where it says "Refference models" yet Super clocked cards can also be stepped up with. And as posted on the F.A.Q you should be allowed to step up to new models as in the examples shown with the 970 from FTW to FTW+

So why would I have to pay an additional €100,- ontop of a card that has a retail value of €789,- when it is only this young? I am within my three months, two months even in my case. Below is the first allinea that is advertised with by EVGA.

"EVGA Step-Up® - Upgrade program
    The EVGA Step-Up program helps you have the peace of mind to purchase your favourite product now, knowing you can upgrade to the latest parts that come out within the first 90 days from your purchase. In the computer hardware world, 90 days is a lifetime! With a valid part, once per purchase, you can upgrade your EVGA product by paying the difference between what you paid and the price on EVGA's website. It's really that simple! "

I will await an official statement on this though, now I don't mean to sound rude. But if you post this on your terms and conditions, than you should honor this aswell, because misinforming customers is something that is not allowed either. 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/10 20:06:33 (permalink)
    The icx is not being added to the step up program at this time.that is the official statement currently.
    MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/10 22:07:02 (permalink)
    splashie62
    A bit weird don't you think? EVGA offering a Step-up programm, yet when they find a method to earn money out of it the rules change. I seen other posts where it says "Refference models" yet Super clocked cards can also be stepped up with. And as posted on the F.A.Q you should be allowed to step up to new models as in the examples shown with the 970 from FTW to FTW+

So why would I have to pay an additional €100,- ontop of a card that has a retail value of €789,- when it is only this young? I am within my three months, two months even in my case. Below is the first allinea that is advertised with by EVGA.

"EVGA Step-Up® - Upgrade program
    The EVGA Step-Up program helps you have the peace of mind to purchase your favourite product now, knowing you can upgrade to the latest parts that come out within the first 90 days from your purchase. In the computer hardware world, 90 days is a lifetime! With a valid part, once per purchase, you can upgrade your EVGA product by paying the difference between what you paid and the price on EVGA's website. It's really that simple! "

I will await an official statement on this though, now I don't mean to sound rude. But if you post this on your terms and conditions, than you should honor this aswell, because misinforming customers is something that is not allowed either. 

Hello,

traditionally the EVGA step up program only allowed you to step up to the baseline card models. The only exception was for 970 SKU's.

Just as the 1080 FTW is not on the step up list currently the 1080 FTW2 will not be either.

ICX upgrades are not tied in with the step up window and are a completely different promotion.

One GIANT distinction between ICX upgrade and Step up is, Step up cards do not qualify for step up. ICX upgrades will have a 90 day step up window.

Please let us know if you have further questions.
    mobsters
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 132
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/10 23:35:56 (permalink)
    Does the step-up card(1080 SC acx) qualify to icx upgrade, that qualify to step-up?

AMD Ryzen 3700X / Asus X470 C7H / EVGA GTX 1080 SC / G.Skill 16GB Flare X DDR4 3200MHz CL14 / EVGA SuperNOVA 850w P2

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/11 02:54:06 (permalink)
    mobsters
    Does the step-up card(1080 SC acx) qualify to icx upgrade, that qualify to step-up?

The icx is not part of the step up, and i asked about this direcly.

Yes, you could technically take a 1070 Sc Acx, upgrade for $99 to the 1070 SC2 ICX, and then apply to step up. Realize, you would go from 1070 ICX to 1080 ACX... again, the icx is not going on the step up list at thos time. So, once you get the 1080 ACX, you could Technically apply for the 1080 ICX upgrade for ANOTHER $99 fee, but you wont have time.

The icx upgrade window is from 10 February to 28 February. Once that window closes, there is no other option to upgrade again, so you would legitimately be paying $99 to get an icx, and then immediately give it back for a 1080 acx.

The terms of service for the icx are very clear. If the upgrade window is missed between the 10th and the 28th, the will be NO option to apply for the upgrade.
    splashie62
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/11 03:13:51 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MDecker
    Hello,

Traditionally the EVGA step up program only allowed you to step up to the baseline card models. The only exception was for 970 SKU's. Just as the 1080 FTW is not on the step up list currently the 1080 FTW2 will not be either. ICX upgrades are not tied in with the step up window and are a completely different promotion.

One GIANT distinction between ICX upgrade and Step up is, Step up cards do not qualify for step up. ICX upgrades will have a 90 day step up window.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Hi,

Whilest I still do think that the EVGA Step-up page does has some misleading information as posted in the quote below, I do have a question regarding what you are saying. The way I understand it is that if I were to 'purchase' this upgraded model, I would be gaining another 90 days of step up qualification, is this correct?

After this experience I am just afraid that if I would purchase this now, get 90 additional step-up days most likely by the end of April, begin May the 1080ti will come out but I don't want to go through the same thing again and hear that I won't be able to upgrade my 1080 FTW2 to a 1080Ti (Or whatever Nvidia may call it.)

Website EVGA
    EVGA Step-Up® - Upgrade program
    The EVGA Step-Up program helps you have the peace of mind to purchase your favourite product now, knowing you can upgrade to the latest parts that come out within the first 90 days from your purchase. In the computer hardware world, 90 days is a lifetime! With a valid part, once per purchase, you can upgrade your EVGA product by paying the difference between what you paid and the price on EVGA's website. It's really that simple!

mobsters
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 132
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/11 03:40:41 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    mobsters

Yes, you could technically take a 1070 Sc Acx, upgrade for $99 to the 1070 SC2 ICX, and then apply to step up. Realize, you would go from 1070 ICX to 1080 ACX... again, the icx is not going on the step up list at thos time. So, once you get the 1080 ACX, you could Technically apply for the 1080 ICX upgrade for ANOTHER $99 fee, but you wont have time.

The icx upgrade window is from 10 February to 28 February. Once that window closes, there is no other option to upgrade again, so you would legitimately be paying $99 to get an icx, and then immediately give it back for a 1080 acx.

The terms of service for the icx are very clear. If the upgrade window is missed between the 10th and the 28th, the will be NO option to apply for the upgrade.

Seems like i put that little too short form(no idea where that 1070 sc come from).

So, i have 1080 SC ACX card that i got from step-up.

Now, can i upgrade this 1080 SC ACX step-up card to 1080 SC2 ICX and does it have new 90 days step-up period?

AMD Ryzen 3700X / Asus X470 C7H / EVGA GTX 1080 SC / G.Skill 16GB Flare X DDR4 3200MHz CL14 / EVGA SuperNOVA 850w P2

EddieH
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 2016
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/11 08:19:32 (permalink)
    mobsters
    Scarlet-Tech
    mobsters

Seems like i put that little too short form(no idea where that 1070 sc come from).

So, i have 1080 SC ACX card that i got from step-up.

Now, can i upgrade this 1080 SC ACX step-up card to 1080 SC2 ICX and does it have new 90 days step-up period?

Hello mobsters,

I apologize for any confusion.  Just clarify since these posts are in the Step Up section.  The iCX Upgrade program is completely separated from the Step Up.  iCX Program has its own terms and conditions which you can find here http://www.evga.com/icxupgrade/  You can also check which of your registered graphics cards are eligible for the iCX Upgrade program as well.

mobsters

To answer your question,  Yes, you can upgrade an ACX 3.0 card you received from the Step Up program.   The cost would be a flat fee of $99 and The direct upgrade for your ACX 3.0 card is the: 08G-P4-6583 EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING iCX

If you do decide to go through the upgrade, your iCX card would then be eligible for Step Up for 90 days from the date the iCX card is sent out to you. 

If you do have any further questions or concerns, you can contact our 24/7 Technical Support team @ 888.881.3842 for further assistance.

_Eddie

post edited by EVGATech_EddieH - 2017/02/11 08:24:06
    gm12338
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/16 09:47:22 (permalink)
    splashie62
    Hi!

Today I read the news that the new GTX 1080 FTW 2 has finally been released, however I am very confused to see that in order to upgrade to the improved cooler EVGA requires us to pay €99,99 Also everyone can take advantage of this offer, not only those who are within their 3 months of step-up.

Upon purchase I chose EVGA over any other brand because of two reasons: 1. Warranty and 2. Step-up Programm. 

Graphics Cards Examples:
    My GTX 1080 FTW is only 6 weeks old so far, thus I am still qualified for the Step-up programm. According to the Step-up page you may also step up to upgraded models, which is exactly what has happened here. My question is: Can I step-up to the new model, without having to pay the €99,99? 

Many of the by EVGA invited YouTubers have shown that the new model is nearly 10% more efficient in cooling performance, also the idea of gaming with a "peae of mind" is something I find appealing, as I rather not have a GPU that may or may not cause a fire. (The whole reason this new model was researched and brought out.)

I'm looking forward to a reply from EVGA and ofcourse other members feel free to share your thoughts.

You can NEVER do a Special Upgrade or Step Up without paying something or at least the difference between the costs of the gpu cards. 
    The Step up program is NOT the same as this Special Upgrade offer.  I am upgrading my GTX1070 FTW ACX 3.0 to the GTX1070 FTW2 ICX (paying the $99.99) then later IF allowed, I want to Step Up to the GTX1080 FTW2 ICX (paying the retail price difference between the gpu cards). 
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/19 10:47:36 (permalink)
    gm12338
    splashie62
    Hi!

Graphics Cards Examples:

You can NEVER do a Special Upgrade or Step Up without paying something or at least the difference between the costs of the gpu cards. 
    The Step up program is NOT the same as this Special Upgrade offer.  I am upgrading my GTX1070 FTW ACX 3.0 to the GTX1070 FTW2 ICX (paying the $99.99) then later IF allowed, I want to Step Up to the GTX1080 FTW2 ICX (paying the retail price difference between the gpu cards). 

gm12338, 
         If that's your plan, you will be disappointed. Of course you can do your upgrade like you planned. BUT, Your 1070 FTW2 iCX will not be able to step up to anything but a 1080 ACX at this time. Step-up cards are limited to the reference models.
    PLus, the ICX upgrade is for a limited time till Feb. 28th. EVGA does update the step-up list's, and in the future may offer an ICX option, but it will not be anything more then the reference models.
    http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
    ^^ There are currently only two models listed to step-up to. 
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING ACX 3.0 (08G-P4-6181-KR) (PDF)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING (08G-P4-5180-KR) (PDF)

If you live in EU there are strangely 3 different models listed with a SC being offered.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION (08G-P4-6180-KR) (PDF)

I like the step-up program and have used it several times. I do wish there were more models offered, but they are not. I just don't want you to be upset when it doesn't work the way you thought. 

gm12338
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Stepping up GTX 1080 2017/02/19 17:39:21 (permalink)
    notfordman
    gm12338
    splashie62
    Hi!

Graphics Cards Examples:

gm12338, 
         If that's your plan, you will be disappointed. Of course you can do your upgrade like you planned. BUT, Your 1070 FTW2 iCX will not be able to step up to anything but a 1080 ACX at this time. Step-up cards are limited to the reference models.
    PLus, the ICX upgrade is for a limited time till Feb. 28th. EVGA does update the step-up list's, and in the future may offer an ICX option, but it will not be anything more then the reference models.
    http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
    ^^ There are currently only two models listed to step-up to. 
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING ACX 3.0 (08G-P4-6181-KR) (PDF)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING (08G-P4-5180-KR) (PDF)

If you live in EU there are strangely 3 different models listed with a SC being offered.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION (08G-P4-6180-KR) (PDF)

I like the step-up program and have used it several times. I do wish there were more models offered, but they are not. I just don't want you to be upset when it doesn't work the way you thought. 

IF SO, I "STILL" wouldn't be disappointed because I CAN sell the 1070 FTW2 ICX over just a 1070 FTW ACX easier/faster with less $$'s lost....(ACX's are already dropping in price)  Then I can STILL just buy a EVGA GTX1080 FTW2 ICX outright anyways!...Step up "plan" or not, have never used it!  Maybe by the time I really want one there'll be an even better ICX model gpu "to buy outright". 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile