EVGA

x58 Classified 3 - Random issues over the years, now Windows is just crazy

Author
Fortuo
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/01/17 14:04:23 (permalink)
Had this system for at least 3 years now.

First anomaly was a GPU that literally went up in flames! I switched back to an older GPU while Gigabyte did a horrible job of RMA. No problems with the older GPU for over a month and then I put the RMA unit in and it lasted probably 3 months before it would show odd blue lines and crash the PC. Back to the old card for months until recently getting an RX 480 in there over xmas.

I was gaming on the system a bit but on Sunday it was acting really slow and hanging. Ie: the time in the system tray was 2:03 when it hung.. I left it for a bit, came back, disconnected some USB peripherals (KB/Mouse/SD Reader) and after about 20 seconds it came back, updated the time in the system tray to 2:09, and then it locked up again. UGH. Restart!

After that it wouldn't boot from Windows on my SSD. Windows repair was unable to complete a repair on the SSD. So what the heck, I installed Windows on my RAID, battled with MS activation, and started trying to get a working OS. Everything failed. Windows updates wouldn't finish, just hanging and then rolling back when I'd restart.

I just cancelled an order to double the RAM (only 6GB installed back when I got this PC) because there's a good chance the MB is the issue and I don't want to buy RAM for a potentially dead MB. Then I noticed there's a lifetime warranty so I'm scratching my head wondering how I can isolate the MB.

First step tonight will be to disassemble the system and clean it. I can also try an older PSU (running an EVGA 1300 currently), memtest, and I can try just running with the bare bones (no RAID, SSD, or anything special - single drive/old video card).

Any suggestions to help would be huge. I'm gutted by the prospect of having all this older hardware dead and worthless. :P

6 Replies Related Threads

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: x58 Classified 3 - Random issues over the years, now Windows is just crazy 2017/01/17 15:22:14 (permalink)
    Well, sounds like your on the right road. Pull it out of the case, put it on wood or thick cardboard, to make sure it's not the board grounding out somehow ,even slightly touching sporadically, with a long solder point and only install one ram stick, a HDD,PSU and a gcard and work from there. Manually install voltage, timings and command rate 2 for ram and CPU voltage. You may want to replace the bios battery too if the board sat without being used for awhile. Also, cleaning the mobo pci-e/ram slots with 99% iso alcohol and the fingers on the ram and gcards may help too. I just had to do that myself with my rig in my sig just from dust/residue/tarnish from using it everyday for the last 5 year's. I wouldn't use win10 to do any troubleshooting on cause its just too unstable, win 7 would be way better. If you registered the board within 30 days when you bought it, and your the first owner then you qualify for the lifetime warranty if you want to go that route. A list of the parts your trying to ultimately end up running may help us troubleshoot farther for you cause some hardware combos have weird quirks. Sometimes the problem is just that stupid!

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Fortuo
    Re: x58 Classified 3 - Random issues over the years, now Windows is just crazy 2017/01/17 15:29:30 (permalink)
    Ahhh one of those lifetime warranties? Ugh. Unlikely I rushed to register it in 30 days since this is the first I've heard of needing to register it.

I still have the box and the receipt though. :P
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: x58 Classified 3 - Random issues over the years, now Windows is just crazy 2017/01/17 18:28:45 (permalink)
    Fortuo
    Ahhh one of those lifetime warranties? Ugh. Unlikely I rushed to register it in 30 days since this is the first I've heard of needing to register it.

I still have the box and the receipt though. :P

Yeah thats the way it's setup. I have witnessed EVGA do some amazing things for customers and even for some that clearly did not deserve it so you never know if you ask. You need to pm Jayson at the rma dept and see what he says, he may offer you a cheap pay alternative. http://forums.evga.com/Profile/521687/ Good luck and let us know what happens.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

Help Our Vets From K-2!
    Fortuo
    Re: x58 Classified 3 - Random issues over the years, now Windows is just crazy 2017/01/19 10:25:55 (permalink)
    Well it's been a nasty few days.

It was filthy with dust and I'd installed it in such haste that it wasn't using many standoffs so the board could have been a bit loose in the case. These were promising discoveries for someone unhappy about needing to replace a MB.

After a cleaning I assembled the system with an older PSU on the original MB box using a brand new sheet of anti-static protective packaging from the RX480 as a cushion between the box and the MB. Everything was pretty good, limited to software issues for a day. The next day it wouldn't power on. I switched the PSU back to the EVGA 1300 and it powered right up, no need to hit the power button? But it wouldn't post. I was getting random post codes and sometimes the reset light would come on solid + the HDDs would all spin up without posting. The final clue was that wiggling the 8-pin MB connectors would cause the system to power up. That's when I realized that the anti-static bag was semi-conductive. UGH. 

At this point I'm sailing pretty smooth hardware wise (nothing pointing to hardware anomalies) with just OS upgrade issues because I was never able to repair the OS on my SSD and had to nuke the install with a fresh copy. Windows Updates aren't working for some reason (internet connectivity in the area has been crazy the last few days) so I'm just going to try upgrading to Win10 since it's free, relatively updated, and has DX12. Speak of the devil, the ISO just finished burning. :P
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: x58 Classified 3 - Random issues over the years, now Windows is just crazy 2017/01/19 11:21:03 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you got it all figured out. A little cleaning and patience can work wonders with PC's. :) Thanks for updating your post too since many wont come back and do that, which is not cool cause your situation can sometimes help someone else. If you need any other info feel free to post as much as needed, someone will catch it and help you. \m/

Help Our Vets From K-2!
    Fortuo
    Re: x58 Classified 3 - Random issues over the years, now Windows is just crazy 2017/01/23 10:04:17 (permalink)
    Yeah I just need to get it all back into the case now but the water cooling is really accessible the way I have it setup so I can see how dirty my radiator is and now I need to take all the fans off for a cleaning. I should really be running air filters on my radiator intake!

Windows 10 wasn't perfect, the new GPU triggered some odd MS driver installations by default (nice to have basic GPU support on a fresh OS install) that required the AMD driver cleanup utility to resolve. The symptoms were a full lockup of the system when re-installing GPU drivers, which had me worried there were still hardware issues. These weren't the exact same lockups I was having prior to the cleaning/testing, in those instances I could disconnect a USB device and often trigger the system to respond for a moment, but when I'd lockup the system doing GPU driver installs it was a full lockup, nothing would spur it to respond.

With luck that's the end of my story for now. *WHEW*
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile