EVGA

About the SC17

Author
YouCantBeSerious
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/01/06 23:27:25 (permalink)
I believe I read correctly when I read about the SC17 on the website when I read it was SLI capable, so I downloaded the spec page and it mentions nothing of the sort... Nor does it seem to mention anything about RAM upgrades... Any help?

17 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/07 01:05:32 (permalink)

Moving to the Laptops section.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102278
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/07 02:06:10 (permalink)
    There are two SC17 products on the EVGA website and in the specs I don't see any version that is SLI

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/07 10:30:48 (permalink)
    YouCantBeSerious
    I believe I read correctly when I read about the SC17 on the website when I read it was SLI capable.

That is incorrect. I believe that you read incorrectly.

For a computer to have NVIDIA SLI capability, the computer needs to have access to more than one NVIDIA graphics processor.  The SC17 does not have access to more than one NVIDIA graphics processor.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/01/07 12:16:52

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/07 13:43:29 (permalink)
    YouCantBeSerious
    I believe I read correctly when I read about the SC17 on the website when I read it was SLI capable, so I downloaded the spec page and it mentions nothing of the sort... Nor does it seem to mention anything about RAM upgrades... Any help?

Hello,

in laptops the CPU and GPU are soldered into the PCB so you cannot add additional GPU's for SLI. SLI is available for laptops however both the SC17 variants are single GPU systems.

You can change the RAM but I wouldnt really recommend it as the memory pre-installed is outstanding. There are two sticks DDR4 SO-DIMM which can be removed and replaced by opening the bottom panel of the SC17.
    YouCantBeSerious
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/08 12:41:50 (permalink)
    Yeah, I re-read again... I'm shopping, as it were, and confused what I read at another site... But, can't learn without asking... Anyone have a clue about how efficient the cooling situation is...I haven't had good luck with other gaming laptops... On the order of not getting rid of enough heat to keep the plastic cooling fan from degrading to the point it shoots cooling fins... At over 2 and a half grand it's kinda critical
    Make no mistake, I appreciate the input... On a side-note... There are laptops that are SLI... And upgradeable... But yeah, after reading again a RAM upgrade is kinda unnecessary on this machine
    post edited by YouCantBeSerious - 2017/01/08 12:46:53
    ivTex
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/09 11:15:00 (permalink)
    YouCantBeSerious
    Yeah, I re-read again... I'm shopping, as it were, and confused what I read at another site... But, can't learn without asking... Anyone have a clue about how efficient the cooling situation is...I haven't had good luck with other gaming laptops... On the order of not getting rid of enough heat to keep the plastic cooling fan from degrading to the point it shoots cooling fins... At over 2 and a half grand it's kinda critical
    Make no mistake, I appreciate the input... On a side-note... There are laptops that are SLI... And upgradeable... But yeah, after reading again a RAM upgrade is kinda unnecessary on this machine

The only source on information are these two links (website and older youtube review) that I have found. I don't know if i'm convinced, but it is helpful.

Worth it to note that a ASUS ROG g752VS (Priced the same as EVGA, but looks like a pile of SH!T) in all performance tests scored much higher (however it comes factory overclocked). If you turn on the SC mode for the EVGA it matches or surpasses the ASUS in those same tests, however EVGA it heats up to 90 degrees on CPU in those max OC tests (as stated in linus video below). I am willing to bet a small undervolt will solve this issue of 90 degree temps, maybe reducing by 5-10 degrees which is manageable. Worth it to note that a sager with a 6700K performs basically the same, with high 80's temps, but a small undervolt reduces those temps by as much as 15 degrees! This review linked below will tell yo everything about the laptop possible. It is only one review, and literally the only solid review I can find that actually goes over all the important stuff (7 pages in google all read about the SC 17 and I still barely know anything about it), but its helpful in making a decision.

This is for the older 980M model, but exact same CPU so the temps should be fairly comparable. Mostly talks about build quality, an the lack of connection options available on the first model.

YouCantBeSerious
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/09 14:09:09 (permalink)
    I did see that and it's comparable in just about every way... Looks like it's vented better than the earlier ROGs... However, I've kinda lost confidence in their product... Oddly enough, it was the ROG that roasted... An aluminum fan, and better ventilation would have been a great start to an otherwise fine machine... But contributing to the Asus trial and error division of their research and development department at about 2 grand a pop isn't my idea of cost effectiveness... Just saying... Hence the reason I'm shopping for better
    ivTex
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/09 14:24:02 (permalink)
    YouCantBeSerious
    I did see that and it's comparable in just about every way... Looks like it's vented better than the earlier ROGs... However, I've kinda lost confidence in their product... Oddly enough, it was the ROG that roasted... An aluminum fan, and better ventilation would have been a great start to an otherwise fine machine... But contributing to the Asus trial and error division of their research and development department at about 2 grand a pop isn't my idea of cost effectiveness... Just saying... Hence the reason I'm shopping for better

Only reason i use asus as a comparison is because I currently have an older ROG, so to me it makes sense to compare the newest version of my system. Under gaming loads ROG's have a history of being exceptional, maybe under stress testing they are a different story (my current ROG under stress tests goes beyond 95 degree C)

Its still an interesting note to compare them though, a laptop from ASUS with the exact same specs performs much better than the EVGA, until the OC mode in EVGA is activated - at that point the EVGA and asus ROG are nearly equal, with the EVGA pulling better frames in 4K. Only downside is with OC mode on EVGA gets very hot 80-90 degree C range (From what I've seen).

Tough decision really for me.... Good thing for EVGA that Aorus doesn't offer a 4k screen on 17inch, and gigabyte does, but the machine they offer it on gets incredibly overheated in normal game loads without -60ish undervolting. Sager, unless you get the 2inch thick latop doesn't have a 4k screen either..... So really it seems to me that EVGA targeted productivity, but in productivity stress tests with OC off it performed near the bottom of the gaming laptop spectrum. 

So this is why im still on the fence even after all I've read, there's a LOT of compromises you have to make if you get this machine... and idk if its worth the compromises for the large benefits it offers.
    YouCantBeSerious
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/09 14:48:51 (permalink)
    And all of that is perfectly understandable. I've never been too much into benchmarking... It's handy when you are building and you want to performance test your equipment... Upgrades, optional equipment, settings, what have you, if you have that kinda cash available...I was on the road a lot so things like service and parts were sketchy at best... At the time I was heavy into CoH and STO... And I'd play every chance I got... So basically all I could do was play with settings...I never pushed it to the extreme... It was just disappointing that I got barely a years worth of use out of a machine that should have been serviceable for years... And it all came to a sudden end because of a cooling fan... You would think an actual fan constructed of sterner stuff would have been a given... Guess it wasn't considered important... So shopping has become a little more tedious... Which gives me an idea. And I also see the notion of 4k on a 17 inch of not really happening as well...I was looking into 3d which seemed entertaining
    post edited by YouCantBeSerious - 2017/01/09 14:51:33
    ivTex
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/09 15:09:15 (permalink)
    YouCantBeSerious
    And all of that is perfectly understandable. I've never been too much into benchmarking... It's handy when you are building and you want to performance test your equipment... Upgrades, optional equipment, settings, what have you, if you have that kinda cash available...I was on the road a lot so things like service and parts were sketchy at best... At the time I was heavy into CoH and STO... And I'd play every chance I got... So basically all I could do was play with settings...I never pushed it to the extreme... It was just disappointing that I got barely a years worth of use out of a machine that should have been serviceable for years... And it all came to a sudden end because of a cooling fan... You would think an actual fan constructed of sterner stuff would have been a given... Guess it wasn't considered important... So shopping has become a little more tedious... Which gives me an idea. And I also see the notion of 4k on a 17 inch of not really happening as well...I was looking into 3d which seemed entertaining

I would rather have a 4K screen personally than anything else, and 15inch screen is far, faaaar too small to do ANY office/design/3D work on. Which means a 17inch 4K is my only option. the sad part is the entire gaming community only seems to want a 15inch laptop (for whatever reason >.>).

I had a DELL XPS before I bought my ROG, and the only reason I bought the ROG was that its cooling system at the time was unmatched by any other competitor at the $1,300 price point. My old XPS would get so hot in normal office work that it fried the motherboard....twice... and that wasn't from gaming (That was also the last time I bought a refurbished computer... haha yeah I know its a bad idea.)

So now today, even still cooling is high on the list, but now that I am officially a graphic designer with a hatred for all things apple - Color accuracy and screen clarity takes precedence over everything. (1) Color accuracy/screen clarity (2) Laptop Design [all "gaming" laptops look like trash... i would get laughed out of any creative agency with a behemoth like most other competitors offer] (3) Cooling Efficiency+gaming performance.

EVGA has the screen clarity, they have the design style. But the important (3) heat management and Ability to play games at high resolutions without destroying itself is still in question.
    YouCantBeSerious
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/09 15:22:39 (permalink)
    For whatever reason... That's pretty funny. Yeah... The 15 inch fleabox kinda went out in the 386 days didn't it...17.3 is nice...19 is better... And yes I would happily carry the extra half pound around...I really haven't had a 4k experience, much as I would like to... By the way, I'm still laughing my ass off at hatred for all things Crapple... As an up and coming graphic designer myself I'm right there with you... Way too overrated
    ivTex
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/12 23:24:51 (permalink)
    YouCantBeSerious
    For whatever reason... That's pretty funny. Yeah... The 15 inch fleabox kinda went out in the 386 days didn't it...17.3 is nice...19 is better... And yes I would happily carry the extra half pound around...I really haven't had a 4k experience, much as I would like to... By the way, I'm still laughing my ass off at hatred for all things Crapple... As an up and coming graphic designer myself I'm right there with you... Way too overrated

Just want to say I ordered the SC17 1070 and it got here today. You were wondering about the temperature management as well, so figured I'd let you know. I ran XTU at stock settings, didn't touch anything.

3.18ghz minimum, I believe the voltage was somewhere around 1.1
    All cores stayed within 5 degress of each other the entire time
    The temperature of the CPU never went over 60 degrees, the entire test. And every time it got close to 60 the fans would ramp up for a couple seconds, and it would shoot straight back down to 50ish. Literally shocked tbh...

Also fired up Fallout 4 on full Ultra at 4K and it ran flawlessly @-@ Granted I was only doing the intro area, but still it was beautiful.

Maxed out the volume and did some tuning to the speakers and holy CRAP are they are loud and clear @-@

Screen is a bit off, and will need some time and a friend to calibrate. It came a little on the red side and the gamma is a little off. But you can control the display with the nvidia card, s much more options to correct the color :D

Day one, and i'm pretty impressed EVGA, pretty darn impressed. We'll see how this holds up in the coming weeks!
    AsimY
    • Total Posts : 72
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/23 09:13:34 (permalink)
    ivTex
    YouCantBeSerious

Just want to say I ordered the SC17 1070 and it got here today. You were wondering about the temperature management as well, so figured I'd let you know. I ran XTU at stock settings, didn't touch anything.

The temperature of the CPU never went over 60 degrees, the entire test. And every time it got close to 60 the fans would ramp up for a couple seconds, and it would shoot straight back down to 50ish. Literally shocked tbh...

Also fired up Fallout 4 on full Ultra at 4K and it ran flawlessly @-@ Granted I was only doing the intro area, but still it was beautiful.

Maxed out the volume and did some tuning to the speakers and holy CRAP are they are loud and clear @-@

Screen is a bit off, and will need some time and a friend to calibrate. It came a little on the red side and the gamma is a little off. But you can control the display with the nvidia card, s much more options to correct the color :D

Day one, and i'm pretty impressed EVGA, pretty darn impressed. We'll see how this holds up in the coming weeks!

What software do you use to monitor temps?
    ivTex
    Re: About the SC17 2017/01/23 09:19:34 (permalink)
    AsimY
    ivTex
    YouCantBeSerious

What software do you use to monitor temps?

the software that comes with the laptop precisionX, and XTU
    tklaber
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: About the SC17 2017/02/01 11:01:05 (permalink)
    I just got a new SC-17 1070.  Very excited.  What is the EVGA stance on leaving it plugged in.  This thing is a tank - I am going to need to travel with it - but most of the time it is going to remain at my desk.  Is it ok to leave it plugged in for weeks on end?
    AsimY
    • Total Posts : 72
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: About the SC17 2017/02/14 09:28:01 (permalink)

Iv'e been using this laptop for work and gaming now for over a month. I'm surprised with how quite it is and how well it performs at the same time. If you tweak the settings in games a little you can easily get around 50-60fps in 4k on high settings.
    ivTex
    Re: About the SC17 2017/02/14 10:26:21 (permalink)
    AsimY

Iv'e been using this laptop for work and gaming now for over a month. I'm surprised with how quite it is and how well it performs at the same time. If you tweak the settings in games a little you can easily get around 50-60fps in 4k on high settings.

Idle testing
    - Avg temperature at idle with nothing running 45-50 degrees (package temperature)
    - Yes it for sure "runs hot" but what may surprise you is how it performs under stress.

Tests with office work
    Programs open: 5 chrome tabs, illustrator CC, Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, XD CC, YouTube playlist streaming music
    - at times can lag, but a program restart fixes it
    - temps with stock settings ~ 60 for both, but can spike to 65 on rare occasions.
    - with this kind of load unplugged you would be lucky to get an hour of battery life. (for the curious)
    - if you are only running Microsoft word and few chrome tabs you can expect somewhere around 2.5 hours.(for the curious)

My tests with game so far have been
    - the laptop itself gets HOT to the touch, but I claw grip my keyboard so I don't notice. If you rest your hand on the laptop, you will absolutely need a pad under your palm.
    - that aside here are my tests and results.

Tera
    Settings: 4k max graphics
    Avg fps: 60-80
    Temps with stock bios: 65-70 GPU, ~65 CPU
    Temps with max fan profile: 55-60 GPu, 55CP

Fallout 4
    Settings: 4k, 90% max graphics, 200 mods
    Avg fps: 30-45
    Temps with stock bios: 70GPU, 65 CPU
    Temps with max fan: 60GPU, 55-60CPU

Black desert
    Settings: 4k, full ultra