X99 Classified Max # of GPU?

Author
uswg01
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/12/02 21:13:11 (permalink)
Enthusiasts,

This is for a seti@home build, not gaming.  I have five (5) GPUs running now, but the 6th is causing problems.  So, before I go into all the details, does the X99 Classified have the ability to support six (6) graphics cards, or am I just dreaming?  

Thanks,

-BK
post edited by uswg01 - 2016/12/02 21:30:28

uswg01

9 Replies Related Threads

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2016/12/02 21:35:33 (permalink)
    the x99 Classified will support as many GPU's as you can install as long as you have a 40 lane CPU.
    uswg01
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2016/12/03 00:48:20 (permalink)
    Thank you MDecker!  So here goes with the rest...

Setup:
    EVGA X99 Classified - BIOS Version 2.03 - Factory Defaults Loaded
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 - Brand spanking new.
    Intel i7-5960X - Corsair H110i GTX AIO Cooler - No Overclocking
    G.Skill Ripjaws V - 32GB DDR4 - Running 2133MHz per BIOS Default
    Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SATA SSD
    Windows 10 x64 Home
    PCIe Slot 1 - EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid (Maxwell) - VGA1 PSU
    PCIe Slot 2 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 - External location VIA 1x to 16x SATA Powered Riser - VGA3 PSU & SATA Power to Riser
    PCIe Slot 3 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 - External location VIA 1x to 16x SATA Powered Riser - VGA4 PSU & SATA Power to Riser
    PCIe Slot 4 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 - External location VIA 1x to 16x SATA Powered Riser - VGA5 PSU & SATA Power to Riser
    PCIe Slot 5 - Empty 
    PCIe Slot 6 - EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid (Maxwell) - VGA2 PSU

All GPUs powered from PSU with necessary cables. 8+6 for Titan Xs, 8 for 1070 SCs.
    Supplementary MOBO PCI 6-pin powered from PSU with necessary cable.  <---- Using correct cable?  Standard EVGA cable marked "VGA" and pulling from VGA slot 7 on PSU.
    Both CPU 8 Pin powered from PSU with correct "CPU" cables.
    MSI Afterburner used for GPU Fan control and temperature monitoring in Windows10.

So, the above setup works fine, and I've been running it 24/7 for months using BOINC/SETI@home with impressive results.  (just recently updated to 2.03 BIOS however)
    The problem I'm having is adding a 4th 1070 SC to PCIe slot 5 (with another 1x to 16x SATA Powered Riser).  Whenever I plug it in and try to boot I get angry tones on POST and a few codes:

In sequence:
    1.  Angry Beeping while showing POST Code: "[D4] - PCI resource allocation error. Out of resources."
    Followed by:
    2.  Standard MOBO POST Beeps.
    Followed by:
    3.  Angry Beeping while showing POST Code: "[D6] - No Console Output Devices are found."
    Followed by:
    4.  POST Code "[A9] - Start of Setup".

I feel at this point I feel I'm simply missing something in the BIOS to allow for a 6th card?
    Maybe an issue with the PCIe risers?  Think all Drivers are up to date, though this could be an issue?
    I have 40 PCI lanes with the 5960X, 6 available PCIe slots, plenty of power, all the right cables...??
    As I stated at the beginning, there is no overclocking at this point, no XMP RAM profiles, everything is factory default to help simplify troubleshooting this 6th GPU.
    I have to be missing something super simple.... BAH!
    I'll try to include a video of the boot sequence, but consider this a trigger warning for those of you who want to see neat cable management!  I'm not going to put in the effort to clean things up until I can get it all running properly.

Video of boot sequence with all 6 cards installed (and some of my rambling):
    Ok so naturally since I'm a noob it won't let me post a link to the best description of what is going on. no sarcasm here. *sigh*

Thanks!

-BK
    post edited by uswg01 - 2016/12/03 00:51:11

uswg01

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2016/12/03 02:45:47 (permalink)
    uswg01

Setup:
    Windows 10 x64 Home
    PCIe Slot 2 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 - External location VIA 1x to 16x SATA Powered Riser - VGA3 PSU & SATA Power to Riser
    PCIe Slot 3 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 - External location VIA 1x to 16x SATA Powered Riser - VGA4 PSU & SATA Power to Riser
    PCIe Slot 4 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 - External location VIA 1x to 16x SATA Powered Riser - VGA5 PSU & SATA Power to Riser
    PCIe Slot 5 - Empty 

All GPUs powered from PSU with necessary cables. 8+6 for Titan Xs, 8 for 1070 SCs.
    Supplementary MOBO PCI 6-pin powered from PSU with necessary cable.  <---- Using correct cable?  Standard EVGA cable marked "VGA" and pulling from VGA slot 7 on PSU.
    MSI Afterburner used for GPU Fan control and temperature monitoring in Windows10.

So, the above setup works fine, and I've been running it 24/7 for months using BOINC/SETI@home with impressive results.  (just recently updated to 2.03 BIOS however)
    The problem I'm having is adding a 4th 1070 SC to PCIe slot 5 (with another 1x to 16x SATA Powered Riser).  Whenever I plug it in and try to boot I get angry tones on POST and a few codes:

In sequence:
    1.  Angry Beeping while showing POST Code: "[D4] - PCI resource allocation error. Out of resources."
    Followed by:
    Followed by:
    3.  Angry Beeping while showing POST Code: "[D6] - No Console Output Devices are found."
    Followed by:

I feel at this point I feel I'm simply missing something in the BIOS to allow for a 6th card?
    Maybe an issue with the PCIe risers?  Think all Drivers are up to date, though this could be an issue?
    I have 40 PCI lanes with the 5960X, 6 available PCIe slots, plenty of power, all the right cables...??
    As I stated at the beginning, there is no overclocking at this point, no XMP RAM profiles, everything is factory default to help simplify troubleshooting this 6th GPU.
    I'll try to include a video of the boot sequence, but consider this a trigger warning for those of you who want to see neat cable management!  I'm not going to put in the effort to clean things up until I can get it all running properly.

Ok so naturally since I'm a noob it won't let me post a link to the best description of what is going on. no sarcasm here. *sigh*

Thanks!

-BK

I've referred this to EVGA but for faster tech support call EVGA.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2016/12/04 17:39:13 (permalink)
    Hello,

first off yes you do have the correct 6pin power cable connected to the bottom of the PCIE lanes.

As for the issue at hand, does this issue persist if you use a different card in place of fourth 1070?

Can you go into Bios > Advanced > PCIE Configuration > set all PCIE lanes to PCI GEN 2

Let me know how that goes.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2016/12/04 18:55:26 (permalink)
    uswg01

Setup:
    Windows 10 x64 Home
    PCIe Slot 5 - Empty 

In sequence:
    Followed by:
    Followed by:
    Followed by:

Thanks!

-BK

Make sure in the BIOS that
    M.2 Socket3
    M.2 Slot M connector
    Enable/Disable

is set to disabled. Otherwise you cannot use PE5 slot.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

uswg01
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2016/12/05 08:52:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for your responses guys!

I have tried setting PCIe to Gen2 as well as Gen1 in the BIOS with the same results.  Both M.2 Sockets are also disabled.  It seems however, when it rains, it pours...  I'm now troubleshooting random reboots (suspect faulty PCIe Riser) and a temperature issue with one of my Titan X Hybrids (suspect water pump failure), so getting all 6 cards to run simultaneously has taken a back seat to the new issues.  I'll report back once I get everything else working properly.  Thanks again for your help!

-BK 

uswg01

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2016/12/05 09:34:13 (permalink)
    Thanks and keep us informed.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

uswg01
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2017/01/18 18:07:02 (permalink)
    Guys,

Sorry for the extended delay on an update, the holidays got busier than I expected!

Over the last month I have exhausted pretty much every combination of GPU setup on my X99 Classified that I could come up with.  Testing different combinations of Four EVGA 1070, Two EVGA Titan X Hybrids, and a single EVGA 1050Ti...  no matter what pattern I use, order, or whether any specific card is on the MOBO or using a PCI riser, the result is always the same.  Five cards work fine in every configuration.  Add a 6th in whatever slot whether mounted or using a riser and bleep bleep bleep I can't get into the BIOS.  Beeps on D4 and D6, with the occasional D7 and finally hangs on A9.  I also tried previous BIOS versions with same results.  M.2 bays are both disabled, and different PCI Gen settings (1-3) used as well, no luck there either.

I have torn the system down to take it in a simpler direction, though in doing so I noticed I still had the front panel USB 3.0 header plugged in (this is the only variable I have not tested).  I might run through another test to see if anything changes with that disconnected, though at this point I have pretty much given up on having six GPU work simultaneously.  My new goal is to configure a water loop for the CPU, along with the four 1070 SC cards and just be happy with that, then focus more attention on an additional build in the future.

I fully admit I'm new to this computer stuff.  I built my first PC a little over a year ago, and am still overwhelmed with the learning curve.  I still believe there is a simple fix (in BIOS maybe) to the issue I'm having with this 6-GPU build, but at this point I think I will hang back and focus on completing my first water loop.  I'd try an RMA, but if anything is wrong with this MOBO it is probably a direct result of me screwing up, and it will work great for a dedicated SETI rig, even if I'm two GPU short.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help!

p.s. I'll check back for any other suggestions and/or feedback!

uswg01

ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: X99 Classified Max # of GPU? 2017/01/18 23:23:29 (permalink)
    With multiple GPUs you generally asking for trouble. I know for a fact that setting such system up was much, much easier on motherboards equipped with old school BIOS. Every UEFI is different. You can assume that trouble free will be at most 4 GPUs (4 separate cards or for example 2 GTX690). Anything above that and you're on you own. There is (old) one thread in this section about similar problem but with 5 cards.

Technically it should work even with 40 cards if board was equipped with 40 slots and each card used with x16-x1 riser, but somehow Classy get confused big time above magic number of 4. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile