GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help

Author
rowdyrager
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/12/09 08:57:06 (permalink)
Hi, 

So last night I just got my brand new EVGA GTX 1050 TI 4 GB. MY old AMD 6870 was going out.

So I removed the old card, put in the new one. Started up, installed the latest 376.19 driver. And things were going good. I played around on various games re-adjusting graphics settings and what not. I shut the computer down for the evening.

Now on start up the display goes out at any given point. OR the PC beeps and then a red light stays on, on my motherboard near the PCI slot the card is in. I can't reliably use my PC with the 1050 TI in it because the boot up and display is hit and miss. I am on a basic computer right now. 

When I finally did get it to boot up before any display issues I uninstalled my old AMD drivers, just through the control panel method, no DDU.

I went to start Skyrim, and on a loading screen the display went completely blank but green. So I had a green screen. I have seen blue screens black screens and even a screen that like like old blocky 8-bit graphics, or simply no display at all like if you unplugged the HDMI cable (I use an HDMI to a TV)

The old issue with my AMD 6870 was it would just go out display-wise as well but then teh fans went blowing super crazy, and was a little hot while playing games around 70 degrees Celsius. So I got the 1050 TI for a replacement. Like I said it worked ok at first, no issues but after shutting down and restarting this all started happening.

I am not smart with building computers, I only know how to put in graphics cards because this is the 3rd time I have had to replace one. Both my 2 previous were AMD 6870s. I know nothing about BIOS set ups or anything, and when I did try to go in just to look the display went out to a black screen anyway.

I have reinserted the card a couple times and seat seems good, it is in there.

I am not overclocking anything, and never have.

My older built PC specs are;
i7 960 @ 3.20 ghz
12 GB RAM ddr3
650 watt power Supply
Asus X58 Mother Board  
post edited by rowdyrager - 2016/12/09 09:00:44

8 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102260
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help 2016/12/09 09:18:10 (permalink)
    If you have a newer HDMI cable try that. If you have a monitor lying around somewhere hook that up for troubleshooting purposes just to see if things are working OK.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

rowdyrager
    Re: GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help 2016/12/09 09:42:27 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    If you have a newer HDMI cable try that. If you have a monitor lying around somewhere hook that up for troubleshooting purposes just to see if things are working OK.

I have my old 6870 in now. MY PC wouldn't even boot up, just had that red light by the card. When I did get some display it was the screen saying windows wasn't shutdown properly blah blah because I have to switch the PC off with the switch on teh power supply, and the options were to run a repair start or something like that, or just start normally. When I did the repair restart option it was doing it's thing and the display just went out so I couldn't see anything. I just switched it off and put in my old card for now until I can get some help, otherwise I will have to return it.

There is nothing wrong with my HDMI cable or my TV, they worked just fine with my 6870. And they worked even when I first installed the 1050 TI

It is something I am missing probably, but with the latest drivers, what else could it be? Could my computer just be too old or something? I was playing for quite awhile on the 1050 TI before I shut it down for the night and went to restart and it started having these issues.
    MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help 2016/12/09 13:33:43 (permalink)
    Hello rowdyrager, welcome to the forums.

I am sorry to hear about this issue. Have you checked to see if your motherboard bios is fully up to date?

If your motherboard has more than one PCIE lane can you test the card in another lane to see if the issue follows the card?

Thank you

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help 2016/12/09 14:21:59 (permalink)
    What is the make/model/age of your power supply? 
    rowdyrager
    Re: GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help 2016/12/09 16:48:42 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MDecker
    Hello , welcome to the forums.

I am sorry to hear about this issue. Have you checked to see if your motherboard bios is fully up to date?

If your motherboard has more than one PCIE lane can you test the card in another lane to see if the issue follows the card?

Thank you

Not sure how to check if my motherboard bios is up to date. I have my old card in now, but it is not working right since there is no drivers for it right now. 

I am in the process of just returning the gtx 1050 TI. I clearly don't know enough about computers. To me they aren't simple at all.

I thought it would be an easy swap of the cards and look for drivers, worked for a bit, but it got so bad nothing would display, and I didn't think switching my PC off at the power supply constantly would help anything.

My Power Supply is a Corsair TX650M

Note I did try the card in another PCI slot (the only one I could only have 2 that are similar on my ASUS X58), I was able to at least get a display on start up, but again it went out. 

Right now I think just returning the thing while I can is the best option since I don't have the know how to do things, and there is no PC shop near me where I live out in the boonies.
    post edited by rowdyrager - 2016/12/09 16:51:51
    rowdyrager
    Re: GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help 2016/12/09 16:52:10 (permalink)
    Sajin
    What is the make/model/age of your power supply? 

Corsair TX650M 
    CMPSU 650TXM? I think is the model code it is so small.
    Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help 2016/12/10 20:09:27 (permalink)
    The fact that the computer at times beeps, means that the motherboard is not detecting the card.  It's possible either the card is defective, or your bios does not support the card.  The fact that it worked once may have been a fluke.  I just recently had a similar issue with a dell XPS 8500 with an i7 3770.  The computer would start and get display, but then would just beep and sit at the post screen.  I had to boot the computer with the old card and check and see if Dell had a bios update for the system, which they thankfully did.  

The 10 series cards NEED a UEFI bios in order to work 100%.  If your bios does not have an UEFI bios available, then you're sadly in need of a new computer as UEFI is required for all new hardware since the 700 series of NVIDIA cards.  The 600 series was the last set that supported just plain old EFI.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

rowdyrager
    Re: GTX 1050 TI 4 GB help 2016/12/11 08:41:35 (permalink)
    Well, I am just returning the card while I can. Just need to drop it off a UPS drop box. 

I did put my old card back in, but still had my original problem off it getting hot and just cutting the display out itself then having the fan on the 6870 blow like crazy. So screw it all anyways. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile