Replacement fan for EVGA GTX 650 Ti

Author
jp876
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/12/07 15:32:47 (permalink)
Here is the model: 
Is there a way replace the fans of this gpu.  I bought this on ebay for $59 used, to upgrade an older sandy bridge desktop (so he can play overwatch at 900p lol).  The gpu works and the temps are fine, but the fan is unbearably loud.  Is there a way to replace the fan (easily and as cheap as possible).

Here are the specs of the old desktop:
Intel Core i5-2400
Biostar h61mlc mobo
8 GB DDR3
600W SilenX PSU 80+
Evga gtx 650 ti 2 gb vram

Thanks and this is my first post in this forum ;).
post edited by jp876 - 2016/12/08 18:09:45

3 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Replacement fan for EVGA GTX 650 Ti 2016/12/07 23:47:35 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums..You need over 10 posts before links will show up, or just leave off the http://www part and we can add it

Are you talking about this card?..How about using EVGA Precision X/XOC to set up a custom fan speed curve that limits the maximum fan RPM at a certain temperature, or use the predefined "Quiet" profile, or set a manually fixed fan speed?..I think those 650 Ti's have only a 2-wire fan (80mm) and no RPM will be reported in the software, but fan speed % should be and can be adjusted..Newegg and other places sell VGA cooling fans and stuff..Then there's always things like an el cheapo fan controller like an Evercool Twister so you could manually control the fan speed..It wouldn't be pretty, but you could also remove the existing fan (access the screws through fan opening) and strap on a more slow/quiet 80mm case fan with zip ties or rubber bands or something, cobble something together..Just a few ideas here.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

jp876
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Replacement fan for EVGA GTX 650 Ti 2016/12/08 18:11:37 (permalink)
    Yes that's the card.  The thing is the gpu fan just screams whenever we turn on the pc, i was thinking of using a spare case fan too (i have one spare 120mm fan).  So do i just take the old fan and connect my 120mm fan, and do 3/4-pin fans work?
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Replacement fan for EVGA GTX 650 Ti 2016/12/09 01:07:44 (permalink)
    The card's fan uses a mini-connector..If you want to connect a case fan to the graphics card's fan header you'd need to put another connector end on it..You could cut the mini-connector off the card's fan and use if you wanted to..A 3/4-pin case would work, just use the positive and negative wires..You could a buy Mini Fan Adapter Cable to connect a case fan to the card header too.

You could use a 3/4-pin motherboad fan header for a case fan, but since that mobo only has one case fan header, you'd need to wire it into the existing case fan or buy a Y-Splitter to connect two fans to the one fan header..You can buy Molex-to-Fan and SATA-to-Fan adapter cables too if the power supply has extra connectors hanging around you can use..You can search around for all those things.

If you want to use a fan controller for the card's fan you'd need to wire it in yourself or get something like a Mini 2-Pin GPU Fan Extension Cable.

You could try editing the cards VBIOS to limit the fan's maximum speed and flash it, which may not even work.

There's so many things you could cobble together or try..What would I do?..Hmmm..Having some experience in flashing, personally I would try that and see if it works..If not, I would buy that Evercool Twister and an extension cable somewhere for the fan, cut the wires and cobble it together..Flashing the VBIOS is not without risk and will void any warranty unless it can be flashed back..I guess the simplest (and ugliest) thing would be to remove the card's fan, cut off the mini connector and wire it to a case fan (or get an adapter) and strap it on..Many things could be done and could void any warranty, up to you though.

The maximum GPU temp for a 650 Ti GPU chip is 105C, but you need to keep it under 80C (I think) or it will throttle clock speed.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile