EVGA

AnsweredPrecision XOC - Cannot get past "EVGA card detected" screen

Author
coasterjunkieX
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/11/30 01:25:05 (permalink)
Hey.  I recently reinstalled windows on my machine, and since doing so have been unable to get precision xoc to run on my computer.  After installing, the program opens a window asking for my name, email, and serial number.  After entering them, the program just exits, and trying to run the program again only results in the prompt showing up again.  I'm running a GTX 970 on windows 10, and had no issues until reinstalling windows.  This occurs in xoc v6.0.9 as well as other versions, but not precision x 16.  However, after updating from x 16 to xoc, the problem still persists. Can anyone help me out?
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: Precision XOC - Cannot get past "EVGA card detected" screen 2016/12/02 04:59:12 (permalink)
Welcome to the forums.

I would uninstall Precision, then delete the EVGA folder located in the Program Files (x86) folder where the old Precision .cfg files are, and then restart your PC and begin again by installing the latest Precision XOC..The Serial Number is no longer a Required Field that's denoted with an asterisk..Precision XOC was originally for 10 Series graphics cards but will work with older cards now..PrecionX 16 or MSI Afterburner might be the better choices for you until more of the bugs get worked out of Precision XOC..Using CCleaner (Free) to clean up the registry and reboot before trying to install Precision XOC again might help too..CCleaner also has a program uninstaller in the Tools menu.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

coasterjunkieX
Re: Precision XOC - Cannot get past "EVGA card detected" screen 2016/12/02 17:58:10 (permalink)
Thanks for the response.  I had tried uninstalling/reinstalling and removing registry entries myself, but just to be sure, I ran CCleaner as well before reinstalling this time.  Unfortunately, it still keeps prompting me for my name/email.
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Precision XOC - Cannot get past "EVGA card detected" screen 2016/12/03 05:02:45 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby coasterjunkieX 2016/12/03 13:24:23
It worked OK before reinstalling Win10, huh?..Well, we can get a little more drastic.

The PXOC information entered in the pop-up should be stored in the Windows Registry in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EVGA\PrecisionX_x64\Settings Subkey..The individual Values in the Settings Subkey are String Values named (Default), Email, FName, GUID, LName and SN.

(Default) is auto-created by Windows. Email is, well, your Email address.
FName is your First Name.
GUID is a random identifier.
LName is your Last Name.
SN is the Serial Number of your EVGA card.

You can delete the PrecisionX_x64 Key (and Subkeys), restart your PC and manually create the Registry Keys/Subkeys/String Values yourself, then restart your PC whereupon installing and running PXOC, no info (no pop up) should be asked for..Also delete any other PrecisionX Subkeys under the EVGA Key that may be leftover from previous installations/versions..Pressing the Windows key + the R key will open the Run Command where you type in regedit to open the Registry Editor to delete the PrecisionX_x64 Subkey in the EVGA Key and reboot and proceed as follows to manually create the needed Keys/Subkeys/String Values again.

1. Run regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EVGA.
3. Right-click on the EVGA Key, then New, then Key, and name it PrecisionX_x64.
4. Right-click on the PrecisionX_x64 Key you just created, then New, then Key, and name it Settings.
5. Left-click on the Settings Key and then right-click in a blank area of the right pane, then New, then String Value and name it Email, then create the other String Values named FName, GUID, LName and SN.
6. Double-click on each of the String Values and enter your information in the Value data field.
7. Done
8. Close regedit, restart your PC and install PXOC and run it.

If the EVGA Key happens to be missing from the Software Key for some reason, right-click on the Software Key, then New, then Key, and name it EVGA.

The SN is not a Required Field (optional) since PXOC v6.0.7, you can leave it blank, or enter it in the SN Value data field if you want to.

You can get a random GUID from Online GUID Generator, or copy the old one and use it again.

To recap, what I would try is:
1. Uninstall Precision and delete the install folder/s.
2. Delete Precision from the Task Scheduler Library, if there.
3. Delete the PrecisionX Subkeys from the EVGA Key in the Registry.
4. Reboot.
5. Manually add/edit the Registry Keys/Subkeys/String Values.
6. Install the latest Precision XOC.
7. Roll from there.

Sorry if I made it sound overly complicated, but it's really not..Precision is supposed to create all the proper Registry Keys on it's own, but who knows sometimes..Manually editing the Registry works 100% of the time for me here (Win7/10 64-bit), without fail, and Precision XOC no longer asks for the info upon initial install/run..Without the proper Registry Keys, it does ask me for the information..Then again, I never had the problem, but I can definately reproduce it here though..If that don't do it, hmmm..Good luck..And don't forget to create a System Restore Point before beginning to monkey around in the Registry.

post edited by bob16314 - 2016/12/03 05:09:37

Attached Image(s)

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

coasterjunkieX
Re: Precision XOC - Cannot get past "EVGA card detected" screen 2016/12/03 13:24:35 (permalink)
That got it!  It seems like the registry keys weren't getting created for some reason.  Thank you so much for all your help, bob.  Don't worry about making it sound too complicated.  The level of detail you used in your explanation was perfect.
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Precision XOC - Cannot get past "EVGA card detected" screen 2016/12/03 16:56:29 (permalink)
Cool, and you're welcome ..Yeah, kinda figured it was just the Registry entries that were missing/borked for some reason (I'll blame Micro$oft/Win10 and not the elite group of EVGA software developers)..Decided to tell you to take the "shotgun approach" though and blow the whole thing out of the water and start just about as fresh as possible..Anywho, glad it's solved..Thanks for the feedback.

JosiahMcGurty
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Precision XOC - Cannot get past "EVGA card detected" screen 2017/01/07 09:09:15 (permalink)
For the record friends, I ran into this same problem and successfully side-stepped by simply providing the manual registry keys.

Thanks for the help bob16314!
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Precision XOC - Cannot get past "EVGA card detected" screen 2017/01/07 11:48:11 (permalink)
JosiahMcGurty
For the record friends, I ran into this same problem and successfully side-stepped by simply providing the manual registry keys.

Thanks for the help bob16314!

Sure thing ..And welcome to the forums.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile