EVGA

Lockedbad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 19
Author
RKarov
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/25 17:41:58 (permalink)
NucleusX
libneon
I'm wondering if the 100% fan/black screen issue is being caused by components near the hotspot/VRM being damaged but not outright failing. On my 1070 the resistors in that area caught fire, but maybe on some cards they are damaged without obvious outward damage. Because once people start having the issue it seems to only get worse. If it was just cooling then that wouldn't happen, it seems to point to the fact that some has changed with the card. This is pure speculation but the problem seems to be affecting more than a few people. Of the burnt cards I've seen on here and reddit and a few hardware sites it's always been the hotspot VRM area where the damage appeared.

This article here is suggesting somewhere along those lines as a secondary effect. Also, The VRM's are rated higher than
the memory modules, so even if the VRM's are operating within their spec, the heat generated by them can effect surrounding
components with a lower temp rating, such as the memory modules, which appears to be the origin of the black screens.
Initially, it was thought that the Micron memory issue was at fault, but the bad reports still came in after the bios update.

http://www.guru3d.com/new...verheating-issues.html  

Damn it EVGA really let us down.
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 177
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/25 18:07:54 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Leonardohlb
goa48
Poliacido
iirc when you have more phases and so more vrms those should be cooler than having less power phases like the reference pcb
so i don't understand why the ftw cards are so hot... maybe it is really because they don't have enough cooling on those parts

It does have more phases, but it is not a 180W card like the reference.

Zotac has TDP of 300W msi next 300w which justifies the FTW have 215W?

TDP is not power consumption. TDP is the amount of thermal energy the cooling solution is designed to dissipate.

Their response was useless without any sense you say such a thing, i tested the bios zotac and msi in my EVGA, i say that the clock was much more stable without wavering, and consumption was close to 280w test on OCCT.
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/25 18:10:09 (permalink)
No problem the shop will make the change again my card by MSI or HOF will still decide, they told me they will stop ordering EVGA models. Bye!
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/25 18:40:10 (permalink)
Leonardohlb
HeavyHemi
Leonardohlb
goa48
Poliacido
iirc when you have more phases and so more vrms those should be cooler than having less power phases like the reference pcb
so i don't understand why the ftw cards are so hot... maybe it is really because they don't have enough cooling on those parts

TDP is not power consumption. TDP is the amount of thermal energy the cooling solution is designed to dissipate.

Their response was useless without any sense you say such a thing, i tested the bios zotac and msi in my EVGA, i say that the clock was much more stable without wavering, and consumption was close to 280w test on OCCT.

Sure other than being right.  That they could draw 280 watts on those cards is a different thing from your TDP claim. I was just pointing out your incorrect usage is all.  EVGA rates the power draw at 215 watts stock. Those are two different things as power draw or usage is not the same as TDP.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/25 18:43:53 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Leonardohlb
HeavyHemi
Leonardohlb
goa48
Poliacido

Sure other than being right.  That they could draw 280 watts on those cards is a different thing from your TDP claim. I was just pointing out your incorrect usage is all.  EVGA rates the power draw at 215 watts stock. Those are two different things as power draw or usage is not the same as TDP.

Understand how you want, in any way the board has many limitations, this is what matters in an enthusiast model, these heating problems and limiting consumption, power, voltage, clock, watts none of this should be considered in this model enthusiast.
shannonjpower
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/25 21:13:07 (permalink)
Is it possible for EVGA to upload the instructions and thermal pad specs (thickness etc) so those already with spare pads or who want to purchase their own can do the mod?

Would save time and money on EVGA's side and allow experienced users to go ahead with the mod without waiting weeks (I'm in Australia so it's roughly 2+ weeks wait) for shipping.
NucleusX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 240
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/25 21:24:51 (permalink)
shannonjpower
Is it possible for EVGA to upload the instructions and thermal pad specs (thickness etc) so those already with spare pads or who want to purchase their own can do the mod?

Would save time and money on EVGA's side and allow experienced users to go ahead with the mod without waiting weeks (I'm in Australia so it's roughly 2+ weeks wait) for shipping.

+1. A clear set of instructions would be nice for most users. Enthusiasts probably don't even care and tackling it on their own like a boss.

CPU:  Intel 486 DX2. 66Mhz (Turbo). Cooling: LN2.
MTB: ECS. Chipset: SIS. HD: WD Raptor 300mb x 512. 154GB. Raid 0.
RAM: Corsair Obliterator Gold. EDO. 16mb. 66mhz. x8.
GPU:  Nvidia GTX Riva TNT2 FTW OC. PCI. 32mb. x4 Quad SLI.
PSU:  ATX 200 watt (no label). Case: RGB Milk Crate.

panaikas
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/25 23:25:53 (permalink)
NucleusX
shannonjpower

+1. A clear set of instructions would be nice for most users. Enthusiasts probably don't even care and tackling it on their own like a boss.

+1

I contact with support and at my last email I have some questions and the answers I get was not clear than only an "automatic message".
Then why there is so "noise" at the internet and forums around the thermal issues?
From example one of them at evga forum →forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921-p6.aspx
An other question because that no all have the technical skills to put hand at the cards or thermal pads how you suggested to your customer
this solution and if we cause a problem to the card then you replace the card? covered from warranty?

post edited by panaikas - 2016/10/25 23:34:07
Legacy-ZA
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 00:35:46 (permalink)
I think we should lay on some pressure and allow our cards to receive a redesigned cooler and get the PCB swapped. This is simply ridiculous. I have done 3 months of heavy gaming on mine already, I can imagine how that heatsink will look when I take it off, not to mention the life span that has been removed from the tortured hardware. Hell; my MSi gaming had artifacting from the get go and had to swap it out (Micron Memory) so I decided to go with EVGA because their products are highly praised, that apparently was a mistake... Now I know why they didn't give reviewers the FTW's to review at launch.

Seems one can't trust anyone anymore.
NucleusX
Superclocked Member
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 00:36:55 (permalink)
panaikas
I contact with support and at my last email I have some questions and the answers I get was not clear than only an "automatic message".
Then why there is so "noise" at the internet and forums around the thermal issues?
From example one of them at evga forum →forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921-p6.aspx
An other question because that no all have the technical skills to put hand at the cards or thermal pads how you suggested to your customer
this solution and if we cause a problem to the card then you replace the card? covered from warranty?

Give it time, i'm sure they'l produce something eventually. If not, someone on a review site or YouTube channel will document the procedure. Maybe even in a forum post.
post edited by NucleusX - 2016/10/26 00:50:39

NucleusX
Superclocked Member
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 00:43:10 (permalink)
Legacy-ZA
I think we should lay on some pressure and allow our cards to receive a redesigned cooler and get the PCB swapped. This is simply ridiculous. I have done 3 months of heavy gaming on mine already, I can imagine how that heatsink will look when I take it off, not to mention the life span that has been removed from the tortured hardware. Hell; my MSi gaming had artifacting from the get go and had to swap it out (Micron Memory) so I decided to go with EVGA because their products are highly praised, that apparently was a mistake... Now I know why they didn't give reviewers the FTW's to review at launch.

Seems one can't trust anyone anymore.

Its got me so concerned now, that i don't want to play any games on it until I'm thoroughly convinced all this has been put to rest.
I'm waiting for the thermal pads so i can install them and new TIM. Once I'm done with all that, I'm going to temporarily dedicate
3 temp probes to the VRM's and memory so i can closely monitor things to be sure everything checks out with high loads. I've got
the sneaky suspicion that it may already have irreversible effects from the use it has had thus far, and will only get worse. Can't
wait to get that back-plate off and have a look under it, it just may even prove to be a thermal improvement leaving it off altogether.
post edited by NucleusX - 2016/10/26 00:54:03

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 01:19:21 (permalink)
Leonardohlb
HeavyHemi
Leonardohlb
HeavyHemi
Leonardohlb
goa48
Poliacido

Understand how you want, in any way the board has many limitations, this is what matters in an enthusiast model, these heating problems and limiting consumption, power, voltage, clock, watts none of this should be considered in this model enthusiast.

The manufacturer has to consider all those factors. They are not going to produce a part that has a significant chance of failing. So, they put in limits to what you can do. An 'enthusiast' exceeds those limits and loses the warranty. It's a trade off.  It always has been.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

mannitu78
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 01:30:31 (permalink)
shows us how stupid and senseless all that big Youtube-Hardware Channels are, giving award after award, considering themselfes as enthusiasts and showing us a Witcher 3 benchmark for the 1001th time, but if theres a sensitive point, you can be pretty sure they will miss it.
Vayra86
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 02:49:51 (permalink)
My 1070 FTW is going back to seller.

Micron memory, VRM hotspot... combined this has been a very, very disappointing purchase and a serious dent in my faith in EVGA getting high quality product out. I will be avoiding their GPUs in the future. The thermal pad 'fix', while I understand it from a business perspective, really should have been pre-installed on every card. EVGA designed ACX 3.0 not with the best cooling in mind, but with the lowest possible cost and GPU core temp only. Critical elements are missing here to pass as an enthusiast air cooler and putting the work into the hands of the customer is just *not* cool at all.

People who are 'happy' with this fix... to each their own, but it's not right.
post edited by Vayra86 - 2016/10/26 02:53:26

i5 3570K @ 4.2 ~ 1.21v
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
--
Samsung 830 SSD (256gb)
Crucial BX100 SSD (256gb)
EVGA G2 750w
bissagars
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 02:56:57 (permalink)
I have a GTX 1070 FTW sealed in the box for a new build, should I send it back and request a refund?
I think EVGA should recall this cards for a new fixed replacement.
Not everyone can do the thermalmod fix
post edited by bissagars - 2016/10/26 03:01:46
truebender
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 03:10:02 (permalink)
Hi all. I live in Russia and bought 1070 FTW week ago. Now everything is fine with it, but i'm little bit disappointed by this situation, coz EVGA is my lovely videocard brand. Under Russian laws "visible fire\electrical damage on electronical components it`s a mark of misuse and cause of warranty denial". Besides in RMA rules on EVGA site wrote "Damaged boxes, or products received in shipping envelopes, or bubble bags will be immediately rejected and returned to the sender" what in Russian post service is an usual thing:). And what can i do? Easier fly over Atlantica to US with my bear, burnt card, borsch, vodka and balalaika and deliver card directly in EVGA office. Guys, please, if there were original EVGA posts with VRM problem acceptance give me a links. I talked with the seller and he needs official info from manufacturer for warranty card change when it`s have visible combusted components. I can`t get answer from email customer service. TY.

Sorry my bad english.

Piers123
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 03:52:20 (permalink)
bissagars
I have a GTX 1070 FTW sealed in the box for a new build, should I send it back and request a refund?
I think EVGA should recall this cards for a new fixed replacement.
Not everyone can do the thermalmod fix

I would certainly return the item. EVGA is known for good quality and friendly service/support. It seems EVGA had an issue with the FTW design and doesn't want to recall all products.

CPU: AMD R9 5900X
Cooling: 360mm Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT AIO
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-E
RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX @ 3600 MHz CL18
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Hybrid 10GB w/ 240mm radiator 
SSD/HDD: 1 * 1TB WD Blue M.2 PCIe 3.0 NVMe | 2 * 1TB WD Blue SATA | 2 * 8TB Toshiba N300 HDD SATA 
NAS: 280TB on a 4U server
Tem4ik
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 03:53:24 (permalink)
Thumbs up for providing some instructions from EVGA on where and what kind of pads should be used!!!

Also received an automated reply from support.
Galaxy90
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 04:11:56 (permalink)
It's my last EVGA Card. First the micron now this.  This is embarrassing EVGA. I pay a lot of money for this and EVGA 
invest little money for a this card. What's next ?? They just want to save money. Does EVGA not test the cards themselves? The quality management seems to be the customer here?

Tuxedo.
  • Total Posts : 83
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 04:18:59 (permalink)
Galaxy90
First the micron now this.  

??? The thing with the micron memory is nvidia related. Every GTX 1070 with micron memory need a firmware patch.
EVGA and Palit were the first two brands which provided the firmware update.
Galaxy90
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 04:30:59 (permalink)
Tuxedo.
Galaxy90
First the micron now this.  

??? The thing with the micron memory is nvidia related. Every GTX 1070 with micron memory need a firmware patch.
EVGA and Palit were the first two brands which provided the firmware update.

Yes, i  have this new firmware for my first and second Bios. This Problem is not so big, but the overheat problem is not understandable for me. Why the customer must find this problem ?
mannitu78
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 04:36:03 (permalink)
you should give them a little bit of time. Im sure there will be a solution for everyone. For those who are afraid to use the card as long as it is not fixed: Just turn the fan +20% and dont play furmark. Try to act a little bit professional, like an enthusiast and not like a little girl. Buy yourself a pad and a small heatsink and put it on the backside of the PCB over the VRMs. We all know pretty exactly where the hotspot is, so you can put it on optimal position.  Its not rocket science, just create a little more surface for the air to carry away the heat. You can find heatsinks also on old mainboards, lots of little aluminum-heatsinks. Does not look nice, but its effective until the card is replaced/repaired.

I dont think the card has been build cheap, the mosfets and caps are far away from budget, (edit: even if i have to say, i dont like the chokes, as im looking at them right now..and it seems to me the mosfets they use create more heat than the ones in the Classified) the card can deliver high power its a fauxpas with its cooling this time. If you look through TOM Hardwares scans, you will see the "mighty" Zotac AMP extreme has a similar problem, PCB around 100 C. I would prefer the PITA with RMA with EVGA rather than Zotac.

for those with a Classified: Im sure there is no problem...sure the pads will help to lower temps, but theres no way the PCB gets as hot as the FTW...its got more layers and just more mass, everything will be under 95 C at least for sure. Still i would be very grateful when someone will finally provide the same kind of analyze with the Classified.
post edited by mannitu78 - 2016/10/26 05:10:43
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 04:45:37 (permalink)
One quick way evga could put customers mind at ease, extend the warranty on select GTX 1070/1080 cards. That would show just how much evga stands behind the products they sell.

(example)
If you have a 3 year warranty, it would be bumped up to 5 year warranty.
If you paid to extend 3 year warranty by 2 years, it would be come 10 year warranty.

Not the first time EVGA has given away free warranty upgrades to give customers peace of mind.

http://eu.evga.com/articl...FREE-5-Years-Warranty/
http://www.evga.com/articles/00628/
http://www.evga.com/articles/00713/

I extended the warranty on my GTX 1080 FTW on the same day i registered it. (cost of $30)

mannitu78
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 04:49:22 (permalink)
i would give my 980 Classified for a 1070 FTW if someone is interested think about it, i got very low PCB Temps...you will never have a BSOD....
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 04:54:38 (permalink)
Galaxy90
Yes, i  have this new firmware for my first and second Bios. This Problem is not so big, but the overheat problem is not understandable for me. Why the customer must find this problem ?

The only thing I disagree with is that the customer found the issue. The customers were alerted to the issue by a large hardware review company with the ability to test and publish the results.

For an end user to say that EVGA is leaving it on them would be like saying you have the resources and found the issue yourself. We did not, as end users, find the issue.. We were alerted to it by a company with the ability to test specifically these issues, and now the end users are asking for answers.

It is my understanding that EVGA tests every single card to make sure it is functioning properly, but I highly doubt that they are able to put every single card on a test bench in a heat chamber to check thermals before they ship. They probably tested and didn't find any issues during the design phase, but something changed and now they are dealing with finding and fixing the error.

I know I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of EVGA right now, as they receive a lot of backlash.
_inkubux_
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 05:30:40 (permalink)
I will receive a 1070 EVGA SC Black Edition with an AC 3.0 cooler today. And since there is no backplate I was wondering if this issue will affect this card.

Any of you experienced this issue on an 1070 SC black edition.

tommyv2
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 05:49:02 (permalink)
I think EVGA should just let us do a discounted step-up to Classified cards at this point. Would give a bunch of us peace of mind. Then they can mod all the FTWs they get back and sell them as nice refurbs on their site or NewEgg.
emash
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 05:49:59 (permalink)
truebender
Under Russian laws "visible fire\electrical damage on electronical components it`s a mark of misuse and cause of warranty denial". Besides in RMA rules on EVGA site wrote "Damaged boxes, or products received in shipping envelopes, or bubble bags will be immediately rejected and returned to the sender" what in Russian post service is an usual thing:).

Hello everyone, i live in Saint-Petersburg, Russia and also planning on getting a 1070 FTW soon. After all this hype around thermal problems i got a little bit concerned and wanted to have my say. First of all my comrade cites some kind of law or smth which is complete bs. You do get refunded under russian law and there is no such thing as warranty denial in case of product being damaged by itself. Well certain retailers can deny you but they will break the law in this case and this is pretty much screwes you, the customer, because laws are not quite working in our country. My advice is to pay little bit more to more trusted retailers around. Second, about the card. EVGA is in my opinion the best supplier since they really nail the design of their product and special feautures, well i like it so much, there is no choice for me but to get their porduct. I am now planning on getting 1070 FTW edition for it's looks and perfomance and i will certainly get it registered and will be waiting for pads to mod it by myself but recent events had me concerned. Official statement says that there is no fault in design of the pcb so it's good news. I wouldn't say that there is much better situation with other brands or PC components in general which will die in a short period of time in 1% of cases after you buy them. I personally had to RMA components in 10% of my purchases due to them being from faulty batches that end up in Russia IMHO.
Guys if you can give me any advice on buying or not buying the card it will be greatly appreciated since it's a pretty big investment for me.
Lence
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 06:04:53 (permalink)
shannonjpower

+1 !
Legacy-ZA
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? 2016/10/26 06:44:09 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Galaxy90

The only thing I disagree with is that the customer found the issue. The customers were alerted to the issue by a large hardware review company with the ability to test and publish the results.

For an end user to say that EVGA is leaving it on them would be like saying you have the resources and found the issue yourself. We did not, as end users, find the issue.. We were alerted to it by a company with the ability to test specifically these issues, and now the end users are asking for answers.

It is my understanding that EVGA tests every single card to make sure it is functioning properly, but I highly doubt that they are able to put every single card on a test bench in a heat chamber to check thermals before they ship. They probably tested and didn't find any issues during the design phase, but something changed and now they are dealing with finding and fixing the error.

I know I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of EVGA right now, as they receive a lot of backlash.

As if everybody has $10 000 to shell out on such equipment, eh? If these cards had thermal sensors put on the VRM / Memory and people saw that they run way too hot compared to the GPU, they would have had the same backlash. It's a premium card, it costs way more here in South-Africa than the MSi / Gigabyte / ASUS brands and I wanted the best; what we got is less than what other brands give. It's summer here now too and I don't have air-conditioning, I bet when I take that heat-sink off it's going to look like someone rubbed charcoal all over it as a paint job. I use this card everyday more than 8 hours and that GPU usage is 99% usage 99% of the time. I don't think I like what I am going to find.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile