(COMPLETED) "IKONiK" [GearUpwithEVGA] (Sponsored Case Mod) - •Envious Mods•

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/07 10:22:01 (permalink)
rjohnson11
This continues to look better and better

Thanks you. That's very nice of you to say. I've decided to remove the bar in the front of the case that blocks one of the 3 fans. I think it'll look a lot more uniform.

Check out our current case mod called, "IKONiK" in the Mod Rig section; sponsored by EVGA
Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/08 18:44:30 (permalink)

IKONiK EDITiON:

I've wanted to do a special or limited edition build for a long time now. I felt that it would be fitting being that this build will be primarily high end hardware and exotic finishes. I recently finished up a new design for the Envious Mods logo which consists of an angled “EM.” The EM logo will be used in a couple minor places throughout the build. I will also be adding the, “IKONiK EDITiON” badge under the Be Quiet badge that is mounted on the front of the case. It's the little additions like these that really bring a build together.

Rear SSD Mount:

I more than likely won't be using the single, rear SSD mount but I wanted to do something to dress it up. I made a template for a cover piece and also placed the EM logo for Envious Mods. I intentionally made it small to help keep it within the design for the overall build.

Check out our current case mod called, "IKONiK" in the Mod Rig section; sponsored by EVGA
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/10 00:36:18 (permalink)
Very nice work on that.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/10 11:38:27 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Very nice work on that.

Thanks you. I'm doing a little bit different building process on this one. Making most of the templates first and then I'll go cut out a large batch all at once. I think this process is more conducive to creativity VS stopping to cut each piece before moving on to the next. 

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/13 13:55:18 (permalink)

Silent Wings 3 - 140mm Fan Blade Tests:
I've been wanting to do more to customize the blades of a fan in one of my builds. I took the opportunity to try out a few ideas using vinyl. I have two more ideas to try out before I settle on using one. Once I've determined a final style and layout I will use the vinyl to make a, “mask.” This will allow me to paint the entire fan one color with the vinyl mask off and then paint it another color with the mask off. This is a technique painter's have been using forever. Another way of doing in is to lay down the vinyl and clear coat over the entire piece. Doing so will protect the vinyl and make it more uniform.

Update: IKONiK EDITiON & EM Logos
The first set of EM Logos and IKONiK EDITiON badges were cut in a new textured exotic vinyl I got for this build. I'm almost ready to order the rest of the vinyl needed for the IKONiK build. The order will be fairly substantial due to all the different types and colors needed. After I measured all the placements out for the vinyl I started designing a cut path for the vinyl cutter. I also wanted to try a new technique which makes lettering look like the light is reflecting off of it. The new vinyl has a brushed or drawbenched look to it. I like the fact that you can actually feel the texture when you touch it.
I've weeded or removed the excess vinyl and prepped them to be test mounted. I decided to add the IKONiK EDITiON badges first. I've special ordered chrome mirrored vinyl just for this badge. This will match the Be Quiet badge very well which will make it look like it came from the factory with this badge. The pictured test version will help me to determine the correct size and placement.

Hardware Shipped: EVGA

The long list of hardware from EVGA has been shipped and should be at the shop in the next couple days. I will do some quick unboxing pics of the hardware and share a few of those here. For those of you who love to see a bunch of pictures of the hardware; I will post those on my site and social media. I have some really neat ideas for modding the motherboard and GPU. Some of those ideas will be 3D printed as well.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/14 03:24:56 (permalink)
Excellent

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/15 17:39:29 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Excellent

Thank you! The hardware from EVGA just arrived so I'll have lots of good pics and an update tomorrow.  I can't wait to get unboxing that beautiful hardware 

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/16 14:09:30 (permalink)

EVGA Hardware Arrival:

The hardware from EVGA arrived at the shop today and I'm like a kid in a candy store. They sent me their Classified (known as Classy) lineup which will be integrated into the design. Below I've added a few unboxing photos so that you can see the gear first hand. As some of you know I've been a big proponent of EVGA products for a long time. My first deep dive into custom hardware was with EVGA so they will always hold a special place in my heart. Quickly after opening the boxes you can see and feel the quality that synonymous with their hardware. I haven't had a chance to dig into the PSU yet but, I wanted to post an update with the ones that I had finished. As previously mentioned I took quite a few photos of the entire unboxing process; I posted the main ones here but, soon I will post the rest of them via my social media and site. For those of you who love to see tons of product photos; they will be available soon.

EVGA Motherboard:
Starting off first we have the EVGA Z170 Classified K motherboard. It came unbelievably well packaged. Every heatsink was covered in a protective coating so that it would arrive perfectly to the user. A lot of time was spent on every detail of the design and it shows. I couldn't have picked a better motherboard for this build. It embodies the exact design cues that I'm putting into the IKONiK build.

EVGA GPU:

Next up we have the EVGA GTX 980ti Classified Edition GPUS. This too came very well packaged. Like the rest of the gear from EVGA; you can quickly tell the extremely high quality of the hardware. It came with two power adaptors and a vga adapter. The box was fully stocked with some swag from EVGA as well. This made me very happy as I am the type of person that loves this sort of stuff for the shop.

EVGA DDR4:

The EVGA Superclocked DDR4 is a perfect fit for this build. I will be doing some custom work to these as well as the other hardware sent from EVGA. Each piece will get some custom touches to put the Envious Mods style on it. In the past I've heard of a lot of people who wanted to use this ram on builds but, it was backordered at that time. I'm unsure if this is the case today but, I'm honored to get to use it in the IKONiK build.

Keeping It Classy:

The IKONiK build exudes modern design styling and reaches towards a classy sophistication. Classy is a term commonly used by enthusiasts to refer to the Classified Edition of EVGA's hardware. I felt it was important to tip my hat to this by custom designing a decal that says, “Keepin It Classy” on the cable shroud. This slogan fits the build well and will be recognized by enthusiasts everywhere. The font for this has to be perfect and I've tested out about 25 different variations. Below is a pic of the best fonts so far.

post edited by Envious Mods - 2016/09/16 14:31:17

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/17 01:31:05 (permalink)
Looking great so far.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/17 13:23:44 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Looking great so far.

Thank you very much!

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/18 11:51:21 (permalink)

Front Cross Bar Removal:

After debating on whether to leave the cross brace or take it out; I decided it needed to be removed. This brace is here for those of you who may want to use an optical drive. I won't be using one so it's got to go. It's an aesthetic choice and won't make any difference performance wise. I used a hand or hobby saw to cut the pieces out and now I need to file and sand the edges. The lexan fan surround will cover up part of it. Painters tape was laid down so that the saw didn't rub against the plastic causing more work. The area remained rigid, even after removing the cross brace.

Update: Front Lexan Fan Surround

I've finished the updated template for the front fan surround. I always mount my templates using painter's tape. Doing so creates a contrast for the cut line and it also helps to stop the acrylic from melting. Once that was squared away it was time to cut it out on my scroll saw. Having a scroll saw is an important tool for any Modder to have. They are fairly affordable and can be used on a lot of different materials. The one I own was bought used and it's almost 10 yrs old but, it still works great. When I first test fitted the freshly cut pieces I quickly realized that I needed to notch out a couple spots to give it a perfect fit. The majority of this piece of lexan will be covered by either stainless steel or sheet metal. Spots will be cut out allowing the lexan to show through when its edge lit.

Pro Modder Tip: Cutting Acrylics

In order to cut acrylic with a scroll saw or jig saw you need to make sure the acrylic doesn't heat up too much or it'll re-fuse itself back together. There are several methods I use to help counteract this. Painters tape helps a lot. I always place it over the areas I'm planning to cut and then draw my cut line over top. Using a blade with a lot of teeth also helps. One of the main factors is speed. The faster your blade moves; the more heat is created causing the material to melt. Using a combination of these methods will help assure that your acrylics will be cut cleanly.

Mocking Up Hardware: EVGA

Even though it's a bit early to put hardware in, I still like to as soon as possible so that I can make sure everything is where I think it will be. I also like to do it as it inspires me to design the mods that will be done to the hardware. After looking at the cable connections I realized that I'll need to cut a passthrough in the PSU shroud in order to run the 8-pin power cable to the motherboard. This won't be difficult to do once I determine the location that will look best. After checking the rest of the cables I feel that I'm in good shape. Be Quiet did a good job on placing the majority of the passthrough needed to cleanly install a system.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/18 12:18:33 (permalink)
Like the reverse mounted MB

I've cut acrylic under dripping cold water, lubricates and helps stop melting

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/18 12:26:15 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Like the reverse mounted MB

I've cut acrylic under dripping cold water, lubricates and helps stop melting

Thanks. I like the Inverted setup as well. Once the upsidedown labels are changed it'll really look sweet. I've used water before as well but, I've found it to be rather messy. Using the methods in the tip section has worked wonders over the last 5 yrs and is much easier for the average person. There are rare situations where I'll use water but I haven't run into that situation in the last yr or so. Thanks for the comments and checking out the build log.

EddieH
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 2016
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/21 12:03:49 (permalink)
+1  great progress!  looking awesome!
Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/21 20:00:16 (permalink)

Update: Rear SSD Cover

I felt that the SSD cover is built was missing something so I started doing some freehand drawings in order to come up with an additional piece. I will do bare metal finish work with a clear coat for the main base piece and I'll paint match the two additional top pieces in black to match the rest of the build.

LED Testing:

Now that I have my new camera I decided it was time to test out the new LED configuration. I had to move one of the LED strips to give the inside an even glow. When I mocked up the hardware is noticed that the GPU blocked a lot of the light. This caused the lower half of the motherboard to be dark. Moving one of the top LED strips to the side did wonders for it.

https://vimeo.com/183765104

GPU Support Bracket:

I've been wanting to build a GPU support bracket for quite a while know. The only downside is that there isn't much space for creativity other than the fit and finish. Bill from Mnpctech has already perfected the design so it'll be a challenge to figure out something new. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel. I think I came up with a bracket that will work well and look even better.

Acrylic Insert For GPU Support Bracket:

I've come up with the primary design for the GPU support bracket and I designed a piece that inserts flush with the metal side piece. I knew that I wanted it to have the EVGA Logo on it as well as the IKONiK EDITiON badge found on the front of the build. It took me a while to figure out the vinyl details and I ended up coming up with a neat design. It does a great job of drawing attention but, not overdoing it. Two out of the three pieces that make up the GPU support bracket are almost done and I'm about room start cutting the main piece.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/21 22:55:31 (permalink)
EVGATech_EddieH
+1  great progress!  looking awesome!

I appreciate it Eddie!

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/24 16:32:57 (permalink)

Update: Prototype Support Bracket GTX 980ti Classified

I managed to finish cutting the last piece of the support bracket for the 980ti classified GPU. I also took some time to paint it to match the rest of the pieces. After putting all the parts together to mark it up everything looks great. The front piece is 3D printed and allows for adjustments up and down to change the angle that it supports. I've debated on adding a second piece that would be adjustable as well towards the right side. I'll have to give that some thought but for now I'm going to move forward with the rest of the build and come back to it once I have more of the Interior work done.

Update: SSD Cover Acrylic

I've cut out the 2 additional pieces being added to the SSD cover. These pieces are for aesthetic use only. I went for a very clean, simple design that helps tie in the combination of sharp lines with the occasional rounded lines. Small pieces like this do a great job of reinforcing a chosen design. It's one of those things that doesn't look like much by itself but, when it's all put together it'll make a noticeable difference overall. For now I have painted it black but eventually it'll be painted a little more fancy. This gives me an opportunity to play around with different finishes and shades of color.

After cutting out the template in acrylic I went ahead and sanded/filed them to the exact shape I wanted. A light surface sanding helped to prep them for paint. It took about 3 to 4 light coats to achieve full coverage of the pieces.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/25 01:34:56 (permalink)
I'm liking every piece of work on this mod.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/26 09:06:13 (permalink)
rjohnson11
I'm liking every piece of work on this mod.

I appreciate it. So far stainless steel has been tricky to work with but, I've learned a lot. If I did everything out of acrylic I'd probably have a lot more of it together. The stainless is worth the effort for sure.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/26 09:21:25 (permalink)
So how much is left to do on this mod?

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/26 11:30:21 (permalink)
rjohnson11
So how much is left to do on this mod?

Quite a bit. I still have all of the custom watercooling, PSU cutout window, a ton of materials I've rough cut but, still need to file and sand. I'm also modding all the hardware in one way or another. Custom paint and a long list of other stuff I'll reveal down the road.I would say I'm about 65% of the way done. A good portion hasn't been seen yet.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/09/27 23:19:35 (permalink)

EVGA DDR4 Mods:

I don't have all of the mods figured out for the EVGA Superclocked DDR4 but, I do know that I'll take all the labels and stickers off. They will be replaced with one's that I will design specifically for this build. Small details like this really work to bring the build together. I can't say this enough; the small details that 1 out of 10 people will even notice, makes all the difference.

The design for the new decals is being done right now and I'll update once finished. More than likely I will keep the heat-spreaders with a stock, black base and do some additional.custom paint work. I want to try and mix flat black with a high gloss black for accent or use a black that is a couple shades lighter.

Update: Rear Cable Shroud

Previously I showed the design and templates for the rear cable shrouds. Recently I went to the machine shop so that I could cut out these templates in stainless steel sheets. Stainless is typically pretty expensive and I was able to snag these from another shop at a discount because they had some superficial scratches and staining. I am going to completely refinish these panels anyway so the shape doesn't effect my process.

I will also coat all of the stainless in a heavy duty clear coat once finished. This will help to protect the finish and give it a little more of a shine. I show some of the before and after some simple refinishing. I did this to see how easily the stains and scratches would come out. Almost all of them came out after the Simple refinish; so they'll look perfect once I do the full job.

2 Weeks In The Woods:

Modding is more than a job or hobby for me and I put in 6-7 days a week with no time off unless I'm very, very sick. One time a year I take 2 weeks to go off in the woods and recharge my batteries. I take a few electronic devices so that I can do some design work after being inspired by nature. The majority of the time I don't get cell or Internet coverage; unless I climb a mountain. I might post a few design screenshots while I'm in the forest.

When I get back a lot of progress will be made rather quickly. I've rough cut a lot of the parts for the case so that I can sand and mock them up once I get back. The updates will be epic and I'll also give an update on the scratch built reservoir that some of you have been waiting for.

A Day of Cutting Materials:

I decided to wait until I have a decent amount to cut before I go to the machine shop to do any major cutting. Right now the machine shop and paint booth is about 2 miles away. Once the new Envious Mods HQ is finished it'll be on the same property. I have a bench grinder at my small shop so I could work on cleaning up the rough cuts. This will make it all come together quickly now that most of the tools and machines are setup. Below is added a pic of some of the pieces that were cut but, I'll save the rest until the next update.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/10/16 15:39:07 (permalink)

Back From My Trip To Nowhere:

As many of you know I take two weeks off in the begging of October to recharge my modding batteries. My trip starts by wondering into the forest for a couple days to make sure I'm out of range for cellphones and people. I spend a lot of this time playing with designs and modding related ideas I've had over the past year. Nature tends to inspire me a lot; even though my natural building style is quite mechanical. I look for the hidden mechanics found in nature and adapt those into usable creations for my builds.

I focused a good deal of that time on the IKONiK build and I've come up with some really neat concepts that I'll be exploring throughout the 2nd half of this build.  It's good to be back and I'm excited to get started modding again. I ran across an old skidder when I was in the forest and it was a great opportunity to study aged paint and rust growth for paint jobs on future projects. These are great for painting battle hardend cases.

Below I'll go through some of the updates I've determined while away. The rest of the updates will follow over the next week.

Side Panel Ideas & Design:

During my two weeks off I came up with a few ideas for the side panel that has the dual fan mount on it. I wanted something that is classy and gives you that IKONiK feel while still throwing in a bit of my own personal styling. Originally I had planned on back lighting the area around the pop out for the two fans and I think this will work perfectly with the designs I came up with. I put together a Sketchup design of what it will look like which helps me decide if I should move forward or re-design.

Since the design for the side panel looks great in Sketchup, I will move forward with it. Now I'll take the dimensions and make templates that are full scale. Once the full scale templates are mocked up I can start cutting acrylic.

New Sponsor: OCZ "A Toshiba Company"

OCZ will be joining the IKONiK build. They'll be sending memory storage including their new RD400 NVM Express M.2 SSD. These bad boys are known to out perform SATA SSDs by over 4.5 times in sequential read and over 3 times in sequential write speeds. The adaptor is pretty sweet for those who want to wait to do a motherboard upgrade.

I'm very happy to have OCZ join in on another Envious Mods build. They have been a great company to work with and their gear surprises me everything I use a new piece. I will also be using a larger SATA SSD as a main storage center. More than likely it'll be mounted on the rear SSD mount. The RD400 will be used to run OS, system files and a couple other things.

EddieH
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 2016
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/10/16 16:53:37 (permalink)
Welcome Back!

New side panel ideas look really cool and Congrats on the new sponsor!

_Eddie
Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/10/16 16:57:31 (permalink)
EVGATech_EddieH
Welcome Back!

_Eddie

Thanks Eddie. It's really good to be back and start up work on the IKONiK build again. I'm excited to see the new RD400 PCIE SSD. Soon I'll start modding the EVGA hardware to give it that IKONiK look.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/10/18 04:05:10 (permalink)
Envious Mods
EVGATech_EddieH
Welcome Back!

_Eddie

Thanks Eddie. It's really good to be back and start up work on the IKONiK build again. I'm excited to see the new RD400 PCIE SSD. Soon I'll start modding the EVGA hardware to give it that IKONiK look.

Excellent!

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/10/19 14:32:44 (permalink)

Making a Bevel In Metal: PSU Shroud Pieces

I also want to try making the piece so that the bevel is a different color than the rest of the piece. First off I'll try to paint the entire piece and file off the edges.

Since I don't have a working CNC; I have to make the bevels by hand. This can be very tricky to make sure you have the same angle throughout as well as the same depth. I started this process by using my bench grinding wheel. Doing this first gives me the same angle throughout all of the edges. Then I mark the depth on the outer edges of each piece. The hardest part is the hand filing. I use a very large metal file. Do to the small size of the pieces I run the pieces against the file instead of the other way around. Hand filing is very time consuming and a lot of it comes down to experience. Knowing how to read the metal and applying pressure in specific spots.

Triple Lexan Fan Surround: Final Trimming

I had already rough cut the lexan piece that goes around the front 3 fans. Typically it would be filed and sanded from here but, I want this piece to perfectly match the shape of the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 fans. They have a very distinctive shape that I really like. To make sure these are perfect I remounted the lexan panel and drew the exact shapes needed. Most of them only needed a small amount taken off but, to get the look I want they have to be exact.

Pro Modder Tip: Sanding Difficult Areas & Shapes

This is one of the earliest tricks I can remember as a child. As far back as i can remember, I loved spending time in both my grandfathers shops. At that age I didn't understand the genious behind all the hand made tools found throughout their shops. The first trick/hand made tool that really made an impression on me was the sanding blocks made from random materials.

Whenever he would need to sand in a place that a typical sanding block couldn't get into he would quickly make a sanding block out of anything the was the correct shape. If he needed a small round one, he would use a large marker and wrap the sandpaper around this. If he ever needed a specific shaped one that he was using for a larger project he would shape one out of a piece of wood. It's a pretty neat and simple trick but, it's come in very handy for sanding the lexan triple fan surround on the IKONiK build.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/10/20 22:35:56 (permalink)
I'm continuing to watch this mod. 

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/10/21 05:17:27 (permalink)
rjohnson11
I'm continuing to watch this mod. 

Thank you. That's great to hear rjohnspn11!

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2016/10/25 20:02:11 (permalink)

Update: OCZ SSD Cover EM (Envious Mods) Logo

I managed to finish the majority of the work on this EM logo. It was especially challenging because it is pretty small and hand cut out of super thin acrylic. Originally I had planned on waiting until me new bandsaw was setup but, I got too excited and cut it out using my trusty scroll saw. It took a while to file and sand it as well. It's almost completely done and ready for paint but, I might try out some new vinyl I special ordered that should be here any day now.

Update: OCZ RD400 NVM SSD Plate:

I've yet to see a modded RD400 SSD and I jumped at the chance to mod one. I wanted to show off the actual drive while making a custom cover for the rest of the SSD. Looking at the box the RD400 came in; I became inspired by the neat design on the front. I threw the box on my photocopier and made a template based off of it. I added that template to the covers template to see what it look liked and I was excited with the results.

There will be two pieces that will makeup the partial cover. The main piece surrounds the drive and will be what the designed piece is adhered to once painted. I cut the main plate and I made sure to take lots of pictures so you can get an idea of the process I typically take. I managed to rough cut the 1st two layers and I'm prepping to cut the 3rd layer which is even thinner than the other 2 layers.

Process of making the SSD panels:

Back Lighting EVGA Motherboard:

I've wanted to back light a motherboard for a couple years now. The main concerns I have are: It doesn't interfere with the PCB, low temperature, the LEDs are soft instead of bright. I decided the best route to go was with waterproof LEDs because they are coated with polyurethane. This assures that it doesn't mess with the PCB or cause shorts. I've also slightly lowered the input voltage which makes them run cooler and helps insure that they are not to bright.

I haven't decided how many strips to run. I'll have to do some further testing to see if one strip in the middle will work or will I need to run 3 strips; 1 across each edge. The reason for my hesitation on running 3 strips is the wiring involved. It's a lot to tuck behind a motherboard. Reguardless of the amount of work needed I'll always go with the best performance or look reguardless of the work involved.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile