EVGA

EVGA 980 FTW initially worked fine, never overclocked, now FANS DON'T SPIN ANYMORE!

Author
juliano.cacia
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/10/25 06:54:39 (permalink)
I have a EVGA 980 FTW which initially worked fine, never overclocked, now FANS DON'T SPIN ANYMORE!

When first installed fans would spin normal at power up. Then stay at 0 RPM as usual under normal load. Would spin if on load.
Since I was almost only using the computer for normal light use, no gaming I did not realize that at some point fans simply stopped spinning at any given situation or setting. I realized after running a game which made the card overheat and shutdown automatically. So I looked and fans suddenly did not spin. Tried EVGA PrecisionX 16, MSI Afterburner, and Corsair Link 4, all software will indicate 0 RPM, whether in manual or auto at any % level. Before and after running the game, the card works the same way, no problems with normal load (meaning it will not overheat even with the fans not spinning). Tested also different PCIex x16/8 socket same deal. Card has a back plate.

I am looking to know the problem and a fix, as I have moved my card now to overseas and can't really RMA due to high import taxes.

I have measured with a voltmeter the voltage coming out of the 2 pin connector that is fitted in the card that goes to the fans and it will measure 12V. Now If I connect an external generic fan it will not spin even with the fan level percentage set on software at 100% and manual (applied, and yes the fan works, tested) even while still measuring 12V.

Is it safe to try and test the card fans itself sending either 5, 9 or 12 volts directly to the connector that goes to the fans? OK, and secondly, computer off or not necessary? And can the card be on the socket for this test?

See pictures please for the 2 pin connector I talk about.

Looking for advice; suggested possible problems and fixes. I am having thoughts on sending it to a local tech, but there aren't really any that I could find yet. But If I know the problem maybe I can have it fixed one way or another.

Thanks in advance!
post edited by juliano.cacia - 2016/10/26 17:02:52

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA 980 FTW initially worked fine, never overclocked, now FANS DON'T SPIN ANYMORE! 2016/10/25 10:02:21 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums..I'd grab the latest NVIDIA Driver and Display Driver Uninstaller..Then uninstall EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner..Then uninstall the Graphics Driver and components with Display Driver Uninstaller..Then install the NVIDIA Driver..Roll from there.

Your card is a QSD BIOS version if you're not aware of it..You might try the other BIOS..Switch the BIOS and restart your PC, or switch the BIOS before starting your PC..Scroll down here to click and popup the QSD BIOS switch location and positions..In the Performance position, the fans spin all the time.

Thinking the fan controller may have went out, but cover all the usual bases first.

You can put 12V and Ground to the fans connector and see if they spin.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

juliano.cacia
    Re: EVGA 980 FTW initially worked fine, never overclocked, now FANS DON'T SPIN ANYMORE! 2016/10/26 18:16:47 (permalink)
    Thank you for your responce bob16314..! To no avail removed all drivers and software again (this time all of them) and reinstalled the drivers. Removed the card, and placed it back in. Switched QSD Bios version, same deal, no changes. 

Notice the pictures I first submitted don't seem to be from the fans (maybe the led lights 2 pin connector?) Now I am not sure if the light works anymore, but anyway...

I uploaded a new pic of what now seems to be the fan connector. This is a 4 pin by 2. So I was not able to actually send the 12 volts to this connector since its a little bit hidden and hard to reach, and it will be hard to put back in place. Just wondering how should I actually test this fans with direct 12 volts. And more important I don't have the information of what pin is ground, which is fan power, fan in, and PWM if its that way. By looking at the picture can you tell from left to right the pin order?

If the fan controller died, is it possible to DIY replace, or get the parts?
    If the fans died, is it possible to DIY replace, or get the parts?
    If the fans did not die, is it possible to get a connector and wire it to the motherboard so fans can spin back again? In which case, where can I find such connectors and cable and what type are they if I where to look for it to buy it?
    Another crazy idea... Last resource, remove fans and stick and fit two generic fans wired to motherboard so the at least they cool the card.

I rather not have to pull out the radiator with the fans since the thermal compound and the other materials that are over some IC chips will need to be replaced, and I have none of that, don't even know if I can get those thermal layers that go over the IC chips where I am now. IF I would have to just remove the outer plastic, only one screw is visible and the other seems to be below the EVGA 980 label (ouch), and the rest not sure if glued or just those 2 screws...

Thanks!

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA 980 FTW initially worked fine, never overclocked, now FANS DON'T SPIN ANYMORE! 2016/10/26 19:37:58 (permalink)
    Hmmm..You can grab a 4-Pin PWM Fan Connector (Female) to 4-Pin Mini GPU Fan Connector (Male) cable to go to a mobo fan header..Or a third party VGA cooler..Here is a mobo 4-pin PWM fan header pinout..Never had to monkey around with VGA fans but there's forum members who have that can maybe chime in with any better suggestions.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

juliano.cacia
    Re: EVGA 980 FTW initially worked fine, never overclocked, now FANS DON'T SPIN ANYMORE! 2016/10/26 19:53:11 (permalink)
    I have the motherboard fan pinout, but I am confused on the which is the ground on the video card... (new picture of it on original post)  I will take a better look to the suggested cable. I hope they have long ones. I am uncertain if I will be able to find that cable easily overseas though. Will be looking for more ideas!  Thank you very much!

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile