EVGA

PSU fan acting abnormally

Author
tsimmo93
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/09/28 08:56:45 (permalink)
This morning, I turned on my computer and my power supply fan went straight to high speed. It stayed at high speed for 3-5 minutes. After 3-5 minutes the fan went back to normal, low speed. Normally when I turn my PC on, the graphics card fans do a quick full speed burst and that is it. I took the power supply out of the case and inspected everything, all the connections were solid and there didn't seem to be any dust accumulation. I then experimented with the eco mode switch and it seemed to only recreate the issue when eco mode was on. Mind you, I have a 1000 watt, Platinum, Supernova power supply and the max power usage of my setup is only about 475W. There is no way I'm straining this PSU. I've never heard the PSU fan once before this time, even when my graphics card was under high load. This seems to only happen when the pc is off for a couple of hours and the room is cold(under 60 degrees Fahrenheit). I can only assume that it has to do with the cold temp in the room, as that is the only variable that changed when this issue began. After first startup and allowing the pc to reach normal operating temp, the psu fan doesn't turn back on during startup. Any ideas? Should I send it in for replacement?

2 Replies Related Threads

JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: PSU fan acting abnormally 2016/09/28 10:45:12 (permalink)
    Hello tsimmo93 and welcome to the Forums!

Try something called the paperclip test. This will help us to determine if the power supply is experiencing a hardware failure. Below is a link with detailed instructions and pictures on how to perform the paperclip test. Unplug all connections from the PSU to the motherboard and switch off the power supply from the back before testing. When you turn on the power supply with ECO mode off and the paperclip bridging the two pins the fan should turn on at 100%. With ECO mode on the fan should not spin. Let us know what you find. Here is a link with instructions:

http://forums.evga.com/How-do-you-guys-test-your-water-loops-m2377176.aspx

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: PSU fan acting abnormally 2016/09/28 11:07:57 (permalink)
    The 1000W Platinum series units (as well as many others) come with an EVGA PSU Tester in the box that fits on the mobo 24-pin connector for stand-alone PSU testing..Instructions are in the user manual..If you've lost the tester, then use the 'Paper clip test' to jump PS_ON and COM (Ground) as linked to above..But it sounds like the ECO Mode is faulty (wouldn't be the first time) and an RMA through EVGA or the retailer you bought it from would then be in order.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile