WHQL DRIVERS ???

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/16 18:30:03 (permalink)
Add tdrdelay to each one of them.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/16 18:46:51 (permalink)
BuckSkin
Sajin
  • Browse to and then click the following registry subkey: 
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers 

I am a bit confused; are all three of the above a single subkey; or, will I see only one of the above; or, do I click and alter them one by one ?

This seems a bit involved; is there much chance that I might mess things up ?

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions.

Make a copy of your registry file FIRST--> then if something goes sideways, you can restore back to it

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

BuckSkin
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/16 18:51:30 (permalink)
Cool GTX

Make a copy of your registry file FIRST--> then if something goes sideways, you can restore back to it

Thanks; that makes sense which is probably why I never would have thought of it.
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/16 22:48:26 (permalink)
Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) description and modification in Windows Vista and later is, and has been for a while, explained by Micro$oft here, and here (in 'Let me fix it myself')..Micro$oft 'Fix it for me' no longer works, btw..When adding the New -> DWORD (32-bit) value or New -> QWORD (64-bit) value named TdrDelay to the CurrentControlSet, it should also be auto-replicated in any subsequent ControlSet (ControlSet001, ControlSet002...), so there shouldn't be any need to monkey around in any subsequent ControlSet..The TdrDelay Value data is the number of seconds of delay..As always, backup the registry manually, or perhaps more simply, by creating a System Restore Point first.

As for what a WHQL designation means, I have no idea whatsoever..I would need to search that myself and get back to you.
post edited by bob16314 - 2016/09/17 00:08:46

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/16 22:58:25 (permalink)
Short version:   If your driver package is digitally-signed by WHQL, it can be distributed through the Windows Update program or other Microsoft-supported distribution mechanisms.

LINK
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/install/whql-release-signature

Driver packages that pass Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK) testing can be digitally-signed by WHQL. If your driver package is digitally-signed by WHQL, it can be distributed through the Windows Update program or other Microsoft-supported distribution mechanisms.
Obtaining a WHQL release signature is part of the Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK). A WHQL release signature consists of a digitally-signed catalog file. The digital signature does not change the driver binary files or the INF file that you submit for testing.
Obtaining a WHQL release signature consists of the following:
  • Testing the driver package with the Windows HCK to verify that the driver package is compatible with Microsoft Windows. Once the HCK is installed, the Driver Test Manager (DTM) is run to test and verify the driver package. For more information, see the Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK).
  • Submitting DTM test logs to the Windows Quality Online Services to obtain a WHQL release signature for the driver package. For more information, see the Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK).
For more information about WHQL, see the Windows Hardware Quality Labs website.
Note WHQL does not embed signatures in driver files. If you embed a signature in a driver file, you should use a third-party commercial release certificate. Embed the signature in the driver file before submitting the driver package to WHQL.
Contribute Share

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

BuckSkin
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/17 00:18:51 (permalink)
Sajin
  •  

For 64 bit Windows:
  2. Double-click TdrDelay and input "A" without the quotes for the Value data and click OK.

When I read these same instructions here, it says to type "8" :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

What is different between using "8" and using "A" ?

Thanks.

bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/17 02:39:54 (permalink)
BuckSkin
What is different between using "8" and using "A" ?

2 seconds..A (or a) = 10 and 8 = 8..Use either, Micro$oft says 8 though..Seen some ppl say they set it to as high as Decimal 60 (not Hexadecimal 60 which is 96)

You can also convert the entered Hexadecimal value to Decimal and vice-versa in regedit by clicking the Base radio button.

When I said "As for what a WHQL designation means, I have no idea whatsoever..I would need to search that myself and get back to you", I was being sarcastic..Sarcasm factor 10 

TdrDelay is a debugging entry, and when successful, it's covering up an underlying issue which could be related to the driver, hardware, settings, game coding, a host of possible things..But if it works for ppl (as it does sometimes), hey.

Good luck.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

TnMtMan
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/17 19:58:45 (permalink)
Let me give you my story regarding my 780TI. I am not a gamer. I use my PC for my accounting software(Quickbooks).
About the 1st of August I was starting to get blue screens and crashing at startup using Windows 10. I spent the next 2 weeks calling EVGA Tech Support re-installing Windows 10. Using DDU to remove drivers and installing nvidia previous drivers, all to no avail. I finally had enough pain. I did not have another PC system to check the card out in. But I did order my first AMD video card, an AMD 460 Nitro.
Took about a week to get in from Newegg. I installed it and my PC has been running stable ever since. So, I was able to rule out my PCI slot not being defective. I was able to rule out a power supply issue, which left only 2 possibilities. A video card hardware issue or driver conflicts with nvidia and Windows 10. Since my 780TI was still under warranty I sent it back to EVGA. I was hoping EVGA would test the card, but within a day of EVGA receiving my card they sent another one out, a 980 SC. I am trying to get my 2015 taxes done before Oct 15th deadline. I have not heard back from EVGA if my 780TI card was defective or not. And I am not got to test this new card until my tax work is finished. I am currently running smooth with my AMD card. Although, I cannot say for sure at the moment, it is my belief that there are some very serious driver issues with Windows 10 Aniversary Update and nvidia drivers. EVGA tech support said they were having lots of calls regarding crashing issues. My advice to nvidia and Microsoft is to fix these driver issues or the value of nvidia cards will drop dramatically.
BuckSkin
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/17 20:39:32 (permalink)
TnMtMan
Let me give you my story regarding my 780TI. I am not a gamer.

Your experiences with EVGA/invidia almost mirror mine, except that my OS is Windows 7 Pro.

I finally decided that EVGA tech support was only a delaying action to keep one busy until the 30-day grace period expired.

It is not confidence building when a manufacturer has so many problems that they have a pre-written automated apology that gets attached to the comments in any negative review at Amazon.

The reason I purchased this card is that I had some image-editing programs that were over-whelming the integrated graphics of my otherwise race-horse computer.

Even though some of my image editing operations would sometimes stall and fail to respond, the original integrated graphics never once caused my screen to black-out.

After shelling out a hard-earned near-$80, I was hoping for a plug-n-play product that would give me years of trouble-free service; boy, was I in for a rude awakening.

If I were paid 50-cents per hour for the time I have wasted just trying to get this card/drivers to do the job it should have done in the first place, I would have money enough to buy another three cards.

I am definitely no computer techy, yet I have repeatedly been into dark and scary places within the bowels of my computer, taking chances of ruining it forever, all in a quest to simply get this troublesome card to do it's job.

If there is a silver lining to this experience, I have learned a whole lot about my computer and OS that I did not know before.

Thanks for the recommendation and model number of the AMD card; I will definitely be checking that out.  

TnMtMan
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/17 20:58:29 (permalink)
I am not a tech guy either. I was only able to narrow the source of the issue by purchasing a card from AMD. Since EVGA has not alerted me if it was or was not a defective card, I don't have a definitive answer. I was able to rule out a PCI Motherboard issue and a power supply issue. However, I am running smooth with my new AMD card. Once I get my 2015 tax work out of the way, I will stick the EVGA replacement card in and see what happens. If I have the same issues, it can only be a nvidia/Microsoft serious driver issue(unless EVGA sent a defective replacement card, which is unlikely). I can only say I purchased my first AMD video card ever(RX 460- about $140) and It relieved my 3 weeks of hell. No crashes. No blue screens. No problems. That was my solution. And it worked.
BuckSkin
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/22 15:07:05 (permalink)
Sajin
Try modifying the tdr timeout period to see if it helps stop the blackouts...
In despairation, I finally got up the nerve and took the time to give this a try; I did this about thirty minutes ago.

When I first installed the video card, when the screen would go black, it would just be for a micro-second, and immediately recover, along with the message telling me that " nvidia driver xxxx had stopped working and had now recovered "

Little by little, the black-outs had became more frequent and of longer duration.

Then, after making the modifications suggested by Cool GTX, the frequency of the black-outs slowed to just a few a day; however, although I was getting fewer black-outs, the duration of these black-outs had grown by several seconds.

The last few days, the screen black-outs had became more frequent and of much longer duration; sometimes, the screen would stay black so long that I would wonder if it would ever come back again, like 90 seconds or more.

This behavior is what prompted me to go ahead and dive in and make this change.

I hope the problem is cured once and for all.

I will update as to whether things are better or worse.
BuckSkin
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/24 23:48:21 (permalink)
bob16314
Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) description and modification in Windows

Alas.........., after resetting the TDR to "A", which I understand to be 10 seconds, it went for about 24 hours with nary a black-out (THAT I SAW; who knows how many it has had when the screen was on and nobody there watching it); then, right in the middle of a photo editing, I decided to take a break from the image editor and read a web-page; I clicked the Chrome page on the task-bar, and, just when the page appeared, everything went black; about thirty seconds later the screen recovered and the all-to-familiar "nvidia driver......." notice appeared; then, about half a second later, all went black again, then the screen started flashing back and forth between the web-page, photo editor, and photo browser and all went black again; then the computer shut completely down and then restarted.

When the computer shut down, I thought it was the end for it.

After that episode, the black-outs are about one per hour.

I am about at the end of my patience with this whole invidia/EVGA mess.

I haven't had this card very long at all and have been wasting time with silly support tickets and lengthy phone calls almost since the first day I installed it; they even had the nerve to ask me to remove the card and install it "in a friend's computer" to see what happened; that would sure be a good way to lose a friend. 

I spoke with someone at EVGA and suggested a reasonable solution --- EVGA has already been paid for a good card and the product I received is obviously junk; so, send me either a new replacement card and a return label for the junk card that I have; once the replacement card arrives, I will swap the cards and return the defective card; or, just refund my money and I will be a happy customer.

When I paid my hard earned money for this card, I trusted EVGA to provide me with a product that would work.

EVGA had different ideas; they wanted me to pay them full retail price --- not the lesser price I already paid --- and they would then send another card; I was to then return the junk card and they would test it; if EVGA then decided the card was in fact defective, they would refund my money; and, if they felt the card was not at fault, they would return to me the junk card at my expense.

That would be about as smart as letting the fox guard the chickens.  I did not ride in on a load of pumpkins. EVGA has gotten all of my money that they are going to.

I will never buy another Invidia/EVGA product.

I have better things to do with my time than constantly troubleshoot a silly graphics card; there are other brands that actually work.

I appreciate all of you guys time and efforts in helping me solve this issue but I believe the only fix is a different brand of card.

Does anyone know what model number AMD card is equivalent in specifications and features to this GT 730 2GB GDDR5 with VGA, DVI, and HDMI ports ?

Thanks for reading. 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/25 15:04:18 (permalink)
BuckSkin
then the computer shut completely down and then restarted.

Starting to sound like a overheating/psu issue. How old is your psu?
BuckSkin
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/25 18:21:51 (permalink)
Sajin
BuckSkin
then the computer shut completely down and then restarted.

Starting to sound like a overheating/psu issue. How old is your psu?

About three weeks older than the video card.

I had absolutely zero problems before I got the video card.

I can wake the computer up from a half-a-day rest and the screen go black within a minute.
post edited by BuckSkin - 2016/09/25 18:24:29
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: WHQL DRIVERS ??? 2016/09/26 20:15:48 (permalink)
BuckSkin
I had absolutely zero problems before I got the video card.

Best thing to do would be to test the card in another computer. If the card fails in another pc then you will need to exchange/rma the card.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile