Looking for PSU

Author
XRogerX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 220
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2016/08/31 10:25:05 (permalink)
Hey guys I'm looking for a Fully Modular PSU can anyone help me out this is my system Specs

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro
 CPU: I7 6700 4.0Ghz Stock
 MB: EVGA Z170 Classified K
 Cooler: Swiftech H240 X2
 RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
 GPU: Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+
 SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (Main)
 HDD1: Western Digital Blue 250GB (Storge)
 HDD2: Western Digital Blue 250GB (Bench)
 HDD3: Seagate Hybrid Drive 1TB 64MB Cache (Games)

MB: EVGA Z170 Classified K CPU: I7 6700K VGA:EVGA GTX 1070SC Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB PSU: CORSAIR RM1000 HD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Cooling: Swiftech 240 x2 prestige

2 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Looking for PSU 2016/08/31 13:14:19 (permalink)
    You can use the OuterVision Power Supply Calculator to approximate your system wattage need.

If you use the EVGA Power Meter, you'll recieve in your email a 10% discount code (just for using it) off any EVGA PSU in the U.S. Shopping Cart..The one-time discount is good for 30 days.

There is a PSU Tier List (updated 30th August 2016) with some great recommendations as to brand/manufacturer..Don't cheap out on a PSU..Just make sure you get a unit with all the proper cables/connectors you need..Some EVGA units have a great 10 year warranty..Seasonic manufactures some excellent units, including some branded by EVGA and Corsair.

Units with a ECO Mode/Semi-Fanless would be nice, no noise under low load..You might consider getting a unit with more power than needed because under heavy load it will not reach (or nearly reach) it's rated output and should also (probably) run cooler with less noise and longevity should also be promoted.
    post edited by bob16314 - 2016/08/31 13:16:59

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Microbell
    • Total Posts : 26
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Looking for PSU 2016/09/01 01:10:10 (permalink)
    I just went though this a few weeks ago as I built a system very similar to yours (see my signature) and did a lot of research. Most of the wattage calculators you find here and on other sites will rate your parts a lot higher then what is required. As an example mine was rated at 450 watts but in total going by how many watts each part used it was about 285 watts at idle.

Of course you want to factor in load and overhead but don't be afraid of stepping down to a lower wattage then that Ultra x3 1000Watt your using now. It's the quality of the power being supplied vs the total wattage so big is not always better. I stepped down from a Rosewill 850 watt to an Evga 650 watt and it's a more powerful unit. My total under load is about 389 watts so in theory a 450-500watt quality PSU would do but I went to 650watt for maximum overhead.

While asking in forums is helpful I found the best advice from the guys that break these units down to see what they are made from. One site I always use is http://www.jonnyguru.com/ and I always base my purchase on the evaluation and review of the unit being tested. So far in the last 10 years they have not let me down and the PSU I just purchase "Evga 650watt G2" was a 9.6 out of 10 and recommended. While sites like Newegg and Amazon can give you a general feeling for it in the reviews section it's hard to match the guy ripping it apart to see what it's made of. 

Anyway from the Specs you posted I would not hesitate to recommend the unit I bought but I would tend to stick to the G2 units of EVGA as some of the others have had issues and I would make sure that whatever unit in your price range was reviewed and had a high rating on Jonnyguru's site as they have never steered me wrong yet. If your not intending to do crossfire/SLI I think anything above 850 watt is overkill. As Bob16314 posted above their is a "Tier" list that's useful but don't be bound by it as there are some very nice unit's in the second Tier and quite a few other manufactures.

You'll need to find your sweet spot of Price-Quality-Wattage-Warranty to make a solid choice but above all else do the research so you don't end up with a power headache down the road if things start going south in a few months/years.

If you need more assistance then just post the link's to what your looking at in this thread and we will try to help you out.

Good Luck!

Intel I3 6100
    MSI Z170a Gaming 3 Bios ver a.4

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2133mhz
    MSI GTX 960 GAMING 100ME
    Samsung 850EVO SSD + 4 WD 7200 HD
    EVGA SuperNova 650 G2 650watts  
    Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 27.5" 3ms Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Thermaltake Armor II Tower case

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile