EVGA

my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sethleigh
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 796
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2016/08/30 15:02:14 (permalink)
Well the last part of my rebuild is here, sort of. The Core i7 6900 is at my friend's house, and if I don't go pick it up tonight I'll certainly have it by tomorrow.

The thing is, my custom wood case project isn't done yet. I'm actually close to where I could actually install all the parts, but it would be horribly unfinished, and building the parts into it would make it 95% likely I'd never pull them out again to finish it.

So, I'm thinking seriously of doing the rebuild inside my current case. The primary reason this might not be such a great idea is that I'm currently cooling my Xeon 5680 and 1080 SC/EKWB off a single Swiftech 2x120 radiator with 1 push and 1 push/pull fan setup. It's been fine, but I don't know if this is going to be sufficient if I overclock the i7 6900 to 4.1 or 4.2 ghz. The new case, of course, will have a massively overkill water cooling capability (the same Swiftech 2x120 plus two 2x180 radiators).

Also, I have to look around and make sure I have the proper mount for the 2011-3 socket for the Swiftech block. Doh, should have looked for this already.

So, should I be patient and try to hold off until I can get my case finished? Or should I just go for it and do this rebuild in my current case? I really, really want to. :-)

Happy EVGA customer.  Affiliate Code: 0Y7-1VU-ATW2

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

30 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/30 18:09:24 (permalink)
    I'd probably finish the wood case and go from there.  Its just more of a hassle building it in another case and than moving it again.  You will be wasting lots of time leak testing regardless so why not just wait and finish it and do it right the first time. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/30 18:59:50 (permalink)
    Desktop build ----its for testing only --- ya that's it testing

You know you wanted a spare AIO anyways

Just going to have to sand faster

Three day weekend coming

In the end when you are done - you can stand back and take some pics to post --saying I built that puppy

I did several test assemblies in my Primo case when figuring the custom loop with 2 120 x360 radiators, reservoir and pump placement

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/30 19:03:10

Attached Image(s)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/30 22:08:35 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'll post another update pic of what my case looks like right now. It's coming along nicely, but still has quite a ways to go to be finished. I actually made the motherboard tray already. It's 1/4" plywood. I laid the new mobo down onto it and traced around it, then marked the locations of all the case screws, drilled into the wood a little with a bit that was just smaller than the diameter of the brass standoff threads, put a couple drops of superglue into the hole, and screwed the standoffs into it. That's why I say I could actually have the case finished enough to install my parts in it in maybe an hour or two more of work. All the finishing work would still be undone, though.

But who am I kidding here? Of course I'm going to build the new mobo/cpu/ram into my current case! Was there ever really a doubt? It's my first full rebuild in six years, if you overlook a year ago when I installed the Swiftech cooler. All I really needed was an excuse. Given how good we humans are at self justification, however, that was not a hurdle but a mere speedbump.

So here's the self justification. Enjoy it, because I think the logic is impeccable:
    If I don't build the new mobo into my current case, I'll be tempted to rush completion of my wood case, because I really am eager to try out this new cpu. If I rush the case, it might end up being of lesser quality than I really want it to be. If I build the new cpu/mobo into my current case, I'm free to take the time to finish the case off right.

How's that for self justification?

Hopefully I'll post again later this evening. If I don't it means I fried the new board and am screwed. 

ps: maybe it's my 47 year old geek ears playing tricks on me, but I could swear I heard choirs of angels singing from yonder heaven when I wrapped my grubby mitts around the Core i7 6900 box.

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 01:33:19 (permalink)
    Just don't OC. With stock clocks you're at maximum capacity of the heat exchanger. Even slightly OCed 2011-3 will instantly draw excessive amount of power. 150-160W that's borderline enough on such small rad just for CPU. 

Rule of the thumb. For every OCed component you need at least 240/30mm heat exchange area. 

Patience my Friend. Finish the case and do it properly as planned. Impulse/emotion is worst advisor most of the time. The only thing you should do at this moment in time is test board/cpu/ram combo for possible DOA.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 04:29:09 (permalink)
    ypsylon
    Just don't OC. With stock clocks you're at maximum capacity of the heat exchanger. Even slightly OCed 2011-3 will instantly draw excessive amount of power. 150-160W that's borderline enough on such small rad just for CPU. 

Rule of the thumb. For every OCed component you need at least 240/30mm heat exchange area. 

Patience my Friend. Finish the case and do it properly as planned. Impulse/emotion is worst advisor most of the time. The only thing you should do at this moment in time is test board/cpu/ram combo for possible DOA.

You're close!   In the custom watercooling world I've been, our rule is for every 100w, you need 120mm of rad.  If you want a silent operation rig, you'll obviously want more.

I think he'll be ok because of those two 180mm but they aren't so great when it comes to H20 cooling.  They lack good static rad fans.  I always advise many to steer away from those rads and most reputed H20 rad companies do not make those radiators.  Might want to be on the look and make sure those 180s aren't aluminum rads as many have been in the past.  
    post edited by gtxjackbauer - 2016/08/31 04:34:00

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 11:34:00 (permalink)
    I'm typing this from my laptop. LOL.

No, I didn't fry anything. I had the old mobo out, the new mobo in, the 1080/EK mounted in the slot, the new cpu in the slot, the TIM laid out on the cpu, and the Swiftech water block laid down on top of the cpu ready to be fastened down.

That's when I discovered that the spring-loaded screws on the Swiftech block weren't the right ones to mate up with the threaded holes around the socket 2011-3. They've too narrow. Apparently there were different spring-loaded screws that came with the Swiftech that are for the 2011-v3 mounting, and they were different than the ones I had, which mated up with my socket 1366 mounting plate. The H220-x claims to come with the correct ones, but where the heck were they? I had no idea. So I spent the next three hours (not an exaggeration) cleaning up my office, which was a complete wreck.

My office looks much better, but now I think I've checked every nook and cranny in it, and never found any larger-diameter spring-loaded screws. I could probably call up Swiftech and see if they'll send me out a set, but I'm just slightly doubtful about that because the Swiftech tech support guy had told me that if I already had the 1366 mount on the block, all I had to do is leave the backplate off and use the screws that were already on it. Apparently he doesn't know what he's talking about. Also, on the Swiftech site they sell some spare mounting plates, but no 2011-v3 spring-loaded screws.

So I scoured the web to see if those spring-loaded screws are standard, and used by all different coolers. I discovered that apparently every company has their own. I seriously considered driving up to Fry's Electronics today to look at their cheapest air coolers to see if any had spring-loaded screws I could cannibalize. I decided that I'd probably pay half as much as a brand new high quality water block anyway, and still not have the screws that are designed to fit properly in the Swiftech water block mounting plate. Not exactly something I wanted to take a chance on.

So, what to do?

Order an EK Supremacy EVO X99 cpu block, of course! Duh! So before I finally went to bed last night I ordered this.

I'm not entirely unhappy forking out the money for a new water block even though I had a perfectly good Swiftech block. While researching I found two separate reviews that tested the EK Supremacy EVO against other common blocks, including the Swiftech block, and both reviews showed the EK Supremacy EVO block beating all comers in thermal performance by like 5 or 6 C. That's an astounding result, if true.

So, rather than think about this as me spending more money on my machine because I was stupid and lost whatever extra parts I had from Swiftech when I first installed the H220-x in my X58 machine, I think of it as I just bought a fantastic upgrade for my new i7 6900 machine. Given the 2011-3 chips' reputation for putting out lots of heat when overclocked, I'm more excited by this upgrade than disappointed or mad at myself for not being more organized. I yam what I yam.

As far as the cooling goes, yes, having just the single 2x120 (3 fans, ie: half push/pull, half push) to cool both the 6900 and the 1080 did bother me, and I didn't want to have to run this machine at stock clocks just to keep the heat down, so I'd already decided to take one of the two 2x180mm radiators that I already have for my new case and splice it into my loop. I have nowhere to mount it, but my machine's been lying open on its side for weeks under my desk as it is, so I'm just going to fashion a simple plywood frame to hold the radiator and some fans.

I am aware, through my original research, that fans are the weak link in 180mm radiators. It's sad, but it's a vicious cycle unfortunately. Most people can't fit a 180mm radiator into their case, so the fan companies mostly don't make radiator-specific, higher static pressure fans for radiators. Those people who could fit a 180mm radiator then avoid them because of lack of fans, further disincentivizing companies from making better fans.

That's why I went unconventional in my original design for my radiator chamber. That design assumes that I'll get enough flow from three 140mm high airflow quiet edition fans running at 100% to provide good cooling. The fans will see less backpressure because there are two whole 2x180mm radiators for the air to flow through, which is like 3 or 4 times as much radiator area for the fan area as compared to directly mounting fans on the radiator. More area for the air to flow through means lower resistance. In the end, though, I have so much more radiator factored into this design than needed that any airflow at all through these two 2x180mm radiators, plus the 3-fan Swiftech 2x120 will certainly be enough cooling.

The 180mm fans I have are only 20mm thick, and my fall-back plan, which may become my primary plan, was just to mount them inside to the radiators inside the radiator chamber of the new case, and rely on the pressure provided by the three 140mm fans to help push air through the 180mm fans on the radiators. It should be a similar effect to push/pull mounts, where each fan in a push/pull setup reduces the backpressure felt by the other so you get closer to full unrestricted airflow through that segment of radiator. I need to double-check my exact clearance in my radiator chamber, but I think there's enough space for this.

I should have the EK block tomorrow. Today I'll fashion a simple wood mounting bracket for one of my 2x180mm radiators and get it ready to splice into the loop tomorrow when I mount the new blocks. The mounting bracket will just be clamped to the side of my case under my desk. Since I have four 180mm fans, I'll probably do some experiments with push/pull and push-only and see what kind of airflow and temps these achieve with that 2x180mm rad. It'll be kind of fun, and I'll learn something.

I'll crank really hard on my wood case project this weekend, but with what I have to do left, I figure it's going to be another two weeks minimum before I finish it, possibly three if my neighbor isn't around to let me use his table saw when I need it.

ps: I made sure when I bought the two 2x180mm radiators that they are full copper or brass. 

post edited by sethleigh - 2016/08/31 11:40:20

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 11:41:16 (permalink)
    You will love that CPU block; has served me well.  In your downtime read about how to install the correct insert.

Order any fittings ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 12:25:46 (permalink)
    The version I ordered is the Supremacy EVO X99, which is claimed to have the best insert for socket 2011-v3 chips already installed in it. The concept of water block inserts is new to me, so I'll certainly read up on it, but I bought that version specifically because it said it was already optimal.

I did order two EK 10mm barbs, since I'm using flexible tubing (secured with hose clamps). I have a couple of extra Bitspower barbs already, but I wanted to use the EK ones with the EK block just because of all connections in my loop, that one has to be good.

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 13:20:21 (permalink)
    Here's a review showing performance between the EK Supremacy EVO full nickel block, which is the one I ordered. In particular I'm interested in the 5960 results, which are the ones closest to what I should expect with the new 6900. The EK block was the highest performing, and beat out the Swiftech block that I've been using by like 4 C or so. I'm excited as only a geek can be from stuff like this.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 15:01:05 (permalink)
    Have some MX-4 on hand to get good numbers or do you have a different favorite flavor of TIM ?

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 18:07:12 (permalink)
    I've seen the Swiftech XL that I use compete with some of the best.  Look at other reviews and you'll see them all within the margin of error.  It really comes down to going with a reputed custom water cooling company and picking what is cosmetically pleasing while fitting your theme.

I only use MX-4 which has showed the best improvements from my experience with MX-3, AS5, etc.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 18:41:22 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Have some MX-4 on hand to get good numbers or do you have a different favorite flavor of TIM ?

I put the last of my Prolimatech PK-3 on there last night before attempting to mount the Swiftech block. The block never actually touched the cpu because of the mounting screws, so I put the block back over it to keep it from being contaminated. If it looks undisturbed when I go to put the EK block on tomorrow, I'll leave it on there. If I don't feel right, I'll clean it off and use the EK ektoplasm or whatever they include.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 22:43:46 (permalink)
    If the TIM looks undisturbed from the way you applied it, it isn't a good seating.  You will just get a spike in high temps and possibly a thermal shutdown.  

Just be careful you don't over tighten it.  It only needs to go as much as finger tightening in a cross pattern.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 23:51:57 (permalink)
    gtxjackbauer
    If the TIM looks undisturbed from the way you applied it, it isn't a good seating.  You will just get a spike in high temps and possibly a thermal shutdown.  

Just be careful you don't over tighten it.  It only needs to go as much as finger tightening in a cross pattern.

Sorry I wasn't clearer: the TIM was undisturbed because I figured out that spring-loaded screws were the wrong ones for the 2011-v3 socket before the bottom of the cold plate touched it.

I made a wood mounting bracket this evening that will allow me to include one of my 2x180mm radiators w/fans on the side of my old computer case so that the computer can be run to its full potential until I finish the wood case project.

ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/08/31 23:58:57 (permalink)
    For 2011-3 blocks there are probably 3 or 4 choices.

EK Supremacy, BP Summit-EF, Koolance 380I and Watercool HK IV Pro.

My personal preference was at first Supremacy, but since obtaining BP FCB for Classy I'm running Summit. What I like about Summit is that it does not require switching jet plates, it has much simpler (foolproof) overall construction and you have 4 LEDs 2x3 and 2x5mm if you want them. Temperature difference is debatable, but I'm fairly certain that it's not more than 2C between Summit-EF (lower) and Supremacy (higher). But all of that really depends on heat exchange surface which is vast overkill in my case despite 6 blocks I have 2040mm of it. :D

I wouldn't recommend Swiftech at this moment in time. CPU blocks are sub-par when compared to every single one of 4 mentioned competitors - especially at higher flow rates where micropins become liability. Micro-pins are nowhere as effective at heat transfer as micro-channels are. 

As for TIM. Basically if you're not going with chocolate, toothpaste or any other... unconventional paste you'll be fine with every single one. I was using first EK Ekoterm now Gelid-EX. Makes no difference whatsoever.
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/01 21:47:00 (permalink)

It lives. I'll post some pics in a few minutes showing my kludgy 2x180mm radiator mounted to the wood bracket I made last night that is now clamped to the side of my case. For those doing the math, I now have the equivalent of 6.5 120mm radiators cooling this thing.

I did run a leak test for about an hour tonight, that included trying to purge the air out of the system and top it off then letting it run for a while, checking all the fittings and whatnot very carefully for any signs of leakage.

For the 180mm fans, knowing that they're notoriously weak, and having previously gotten some random 180mm fans (on sale for $14 each) that probably would suck as radiator fans by themselves, I set them up in push/pull mode on the side-mounted radiator. With the switches set to medium on the 180mm fans I'm getting some respectable airflow through that rad.

Haven't overclocked anything yet, nor really done anything else. I'll OC the 1080 back to what I'd been running before and run some benchmarks with the cpu/RAM on stock settings, just to establish a baseline. Then I'll see about changing things up a little.

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/01 22:07:44 (permalink)
    Here's a couple pics showing the kludgy cooling system now. Remember this is temporary, when I get my wood case finished I'll rebuild this machine in there, and expect that to happen in the new three weeks or so. Notice the two clamps holding this wood radiator mount to the side of the case. I put a pic of the wood mount down below. These thin (20mm) LED 180mm fans on the large radiator are probably terrible for radiator usage, but with four of them in push/pull the airflow is just fine actually. They're not even on the high setting. If I set the back two on high the airflow is impressive.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/01 23:00:16 (permalink)
    Congrats, hope it continues to run well 

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/01 23:07:32 (permalink)
    Check this out: with the new radiator attached, with the Swiftech pump and the PWM fans attached to the Swiftech only running at 60% and the 180mm push/pull fans set to medium (the 900 rpm setting, high is the 1200 rpm setting), my gpu temps during Heaven or Time Spy, with the same OC settings (as far as I can remember - somehow my Precision X OC settings got blown away)  dropped from 49/50 C to 41/42 C. My cpu temps during those benchmarks topped out at 34 C (package temp anyway, don't know about the individual core temps).

My Heave score went up moderately, my Time Spy score is up over 800 points, and this is with the cpu still running stock, with the RAM running at 2133 Mhz at slow timings. The DDR 4 RAM I bought is DDR 4 3200 CL14, so one of the first things I'll try is just setting the XMP profile. I'll try some cpu overclocking after that. But with the cpu running at stock with slow RAM settings I'm still beating my Xeon 5680 (OCed to 4125 Mhz). It'll be interesting to see how much of a gain I make when OCing and with RAM running at XMP speeds. 

Next thing I do will be to run the Swiftech at 100% to see how it affects the cooling, and turn the RAM XMP profile on. After that I'll dial in some overclocking on the cpu.

So far things are running just fine. Fingers crossed!

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/01 23:09:31 (permalink)
    Btw, not having an external reservoir makes it quite a PITA to fill and bleed this thing. My Swiftech is oriented with the fill port at nearly the lowest part of the system. I filled the system via one of the end caps on the 180mm radiator.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/01 23:19:31 (permalink)
    Nice,

Yes fill and drain points need to be addressed during the design phase; or you'll have to live with the pain.

You could always add a tee to your loop, then use a length of your flexible pipe as a small reservoir, terminate it with a fill port to make it easy.

Going to want a drain- somewhere.

Great Temp by the way.  Is the room temp the same, as that also matters when talking cooling.

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/01 23:26:41 (permalink)
    Yeah, as this is my temp solution, I have no real drain port and will have to disconnect the line to the pump in order to drain it when I do the move into the new case. I'm thinking long and hard over what my drain port will be in the new case. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna put a T into the lowest line of the case and put a ball valve into the part that goes down to the bottom of the case. I'll cut a hatch into the bottom of the case to run a drain line out of. As far as filling goes, in the new case the Swiftech will be at the highest point of the system. I'm thinking of putting a fill line to the port in the Swiftech and just capping it off when not filling, and pull the fill line up through a hatch in the top of the system while filling.

The room temperature is about the same as it's been for all my other testing with my Xeon system. It's in my basement man-cave with the A/C in the basement set to the same temperature.

I'm going to restart the machine now, crank the "cpu fan speed" ie: the Swiftech PWM pump and PWM fan speed at 100%, set the RAM to run on the 3200 MHz XMP profile, and run my tests again. The cpu overclocking will come next. I'm still familiarizing myself with the new bios. The bios on my old MSI Big Bang X-Power system is downright primitive by comparison, and not having to screw with bclck with this unlocked cpu is a real blessing. I had to overclock my Xeon with bclock, and that complicated everything, especially setting my RAM speed. I'm just going to use the XMP profile and not give RAM another thought.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/01 23:39:07 (permalink)
    Sound like a good plan

Have Fun

I'm folding with my new EVGA 1080 FE that I just installed into my EVGA Classy X99.  Just keeping an eye on this new GPU, while Folding make it work at 97%.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/09/01 23:50:18

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/02 01:02:10 (permalink)
    ypsylon

I wouldn't recommend Swiftech at this moment in time. CPU blocks are sub-par when compared to every single one of 4 mentioned competitors - especially at higher flow rates where micropins become liability. Micro-pins are nowhere as effective at heat transfer as micro-channels are. 

My last two CPU blocks, plus this one have all been Swiftech, including the GPU's from EVGA.  No issues what so ever other than oxidization from using distilled and silver.  With a DDC or D5 premium pump, block restrictions aren't an issue anymore.  And this goes to the OP as well.  As long as the flow is within the range of 1.0-1.5 GPM, your loop is flowing efficiently.  Any less and its not enough and anything more, diminishing returns.  There's data out there on this from Martin's site.

Also, make sure to leak test for 24 hrs the first time.  Leak testing for one hour isn't enough.  I've seen people leak 8-12 hrs later into their leak tests. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/02 09:38:47 (permalink)
    New scores:

Fire Strike Ultra
    Time Spy

What's interesting, but not hugely surprising, is that the framerates on the graphics tests in Time Spy were only a little more than 1 fps higher than my previous fastest Time Spy results with the Xeon 5680. The 1107 point improvement in score came a little from the graphics tests but mostly from the cpu scores. Fire Strike Ultra score only went up a little over 200, with only around .5 fps improvement in the graphics tests (but 80-100% higher cpu scores).

So far in The Division I was able to turn on some settings that previously had my framerates in the mid 40s that now have them around 53 to 54. I haven't tried any other games yet, though I'm really curious to see how Ashes of the Singularity runs. That game is massively multi-threaded and will eat up whatever cpu power one can throw at it. I haven't played it in a while but I'll try it out again and see how it goes.

post edited by sethleigh - 2016/09/02 09:52:23

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/02 12:11:22 (permalink)
    Please show us the finished product, either in a mods rig profile or a build thread. Sounds to be pretty cool, nice hardware.. I'm jelly!! :)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/02 12:30:35 (permalink)
    notfordman
    Please show us the finished product, either in a mods rig profile or a build thread. Sounds to be pretty cool, nice hardware.. I'm jelly!! :)

+1

Looking good

sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/02 13:07:59 (permalink)
    Yeah I plan to work hard on the new case this weekend. We'll see how much progress I make.

I think I made a mistake in my design though. I thought I'd left enough room to be able to add 180mm fans inside the radiator chamber if the 3x140mm fans don't provide enough airflow. I must have miscalculated, because actually taking measurements it looks like I'm 3 or 4mm short in width to allow this.  I'm looking in to some possible solutions. I may be able to use my dremel tool and a router-like bit to remove 3 or 4mm of wood in a ledge around the inside of the case where the 180mm radiators are mounted. As I play around with this 2x180mm side mount radiator with the cheap 180mm fans on it, I'm thinking I'd like to have those on the radiators inside the new case. Not in push-pull, but even just in push mode, with a little pressure from the 140mm fans I think the airflow will still be fine.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: my cpu arrived (sorta), help talk me down off the ledge here :-) 2016/09/06 20:49:03 (permalink)
    Update on the case ?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile