EVGA

Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate

Author
redterror
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/30 13:08:43 (permalink)
For the few of you that have a Hadron Hydro water cooling loop setup - how often do you top off coolant in the reservoir if at all?

I've had my build running for almost a year (at 10-12 hours per day) and notice that I lose about 1/4 liquid in the reservoir after about 3-4 months. I've been using EKWB EKoolant Premixed Blood Red Coolant (rebranded Mayhem's X1 version I believe) with decent results so far. I understand that loops are typically not perfectly sealed because water vaporizes and is constantly passing through the tubing or around the threads microscopically. Considering how small my HH loop is I guess it's not entirely surprising and the same evaporation rate would probably go unnoticed with a commonly larger loop volume during the same period.

Note that I had to RMA the original HH WC kit I bought because the radiator leaked so I know where to look for any issues but have not noticed any water around the case at all since rebuilding. Colored coolant is great for detecting leaks as well!

Also, how often do you complete a drain/clean/rebuild of all loop parts involved?

I'm thinking a year is probably a safe bet as my system has been stable without an increase in temps or noticeable water quality issues.

9 Replies Related Threads

redterror
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/09/07 20:44:23 (permalink)
    Bump
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/09/07 20:58:29 (permalink)

Bumping threads are not allowed. Threads will be answered when there is someone who can offer the help for a particular problem.

*If there is anyone who can help him out, please do so. I have PM'd a few people to try to get you help.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    EVGA_HudsonH
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/09/07 21:27:35 (permalink)
    Hello redterror, 

Usually with water cooled systems the maintenance is fairly simply, you don't necessarily have to drain all the fluid to clean it unless want to or the water gets dirty (which is unlikely). The most important things you want to do to keep your loop functioning well would be to clean out the radiator fins with compressed air, reapply thermal paste when needed and top off the fluids here and there. Otherwise, it's good to hear that your system is stable and cool. 

STEAM | ESEA
     i7 4790k | EVGA GTX 1070 | Z97 | 16GB 2133mhz | Kingston 120gb SSD & WD 1TB HD | Phanteks P400s
    1080p 144hz 24in. & 1080p 24in. | 84Key Outemu Blue Switches | Zowie FK1 | HyperX Cloud | Samson Meteor
    redterror
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/09/08 07:28:09 (permalink)
    Sorry about the bump, I saw quite a few views without a response and didn't realize it's not allowed so thanks for reaching out.

I understand the basics of water cooling and my system does seem to run pretty well. I'm just not sure how often to take the whole loop apart (every year or two?) and clean everything for optimal condition/performance. It's a concern because the coolant/plasticizer is probably breaking down in the loop (even using the provided green EVGA coolant).

That and because of the small total volume in the HH loop, evaporation makes it seem like I'm loosing water relatively quickly - any HH owners notice the same thing (reservoir noticeably drops after a few months)?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/10/17 11:24:00 (permalink)
    Your post wasn't deleted. Like I said in your general discussion thread, you have to view more than the past 30 days.  :-)

This is the only post I see in here from you, so I am guessing this was the one you were referencing?
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2016/10/17 11:25:18
    redterror
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/10/18 10:47:08 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Your post wasn't deleted. Like I said in your general discussion thread, you have to view more than the past 30 days.  :-)

This is the only post I see in here from you, so I am guessing this was the one you were referencing?

Correct - thanks!

Now if I could just get some of the other HH owners to give some input
    haghighihk
    • Total Posts : 47
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/10/27 14:56:07 (permalink)
    Are you using the stock tubing?
    I will tell you right now that using a similar setup (but with non-stock tubing) I've been running for about that long and I'm nowhere near that level of drainage. Make sure your fill port is sealed tightly as it could be seeping air out that normally would condense.  If it persists go to Home Depot and pick up some 3/8 x 1/2 tubing. It can't hurt, and it's like $5 for 10 feet.

Either way, refill as necessary. A complete drain, probably along the order of six months is about what I would expect with treated coolant. If you're running plain old distilled water with some antimicrobial, a bit more common couldn't hurt.

I rebuild very frequently but that has more to do with the upgrade itch than anything. If your loop's assembled right, you shouldn't have to rebuild it unless totally necessary.

Yet Another Hadron Air Build
    Asus Z97i Plus
    EVGA Hadron Air
    Intel i5 4670k
    EVGA Geforce GTX 960 SSC
    8GB EVGA Superclock DDR3-2400 RAM
    Samsung 850 M.2 SSD 240GB
    redterror
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/10/28 09:38:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response. I am indeed using the stock tubing / fittings from hell - were you having any issues with it? Maybe it could account for the evaporation? I've tightened the port and most of the fittings without putting too much stress on the plastic.

I've been refilling every few months and checking for leaks regularly since replacing the original radiator last year. I refilled the reservoir a little over a month ago and notice about a 3mm level drop. By using EKWB's red coolant (similar if not the same to X1) I have noticed some red dust throughout the case so I definitely know water is getting out somehow but believe it's just a small amount of evaporation through the tubing or maybe a seal somewhere. Keep in mind that I do also run my computer every day for 12 - 20 hours and know that there's quite a few variables to keep in mind which is why I thought to ask other HH owners.

That being said, I have been looking into upgrading to the 1080 hydro copper so I might redo the whole loop again anyway lol.
    haghighihk
    • Total Posts : 47
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Hadron Hydro Loop Evaporation Rate 2016/10/29 12:29:28 (permalink)
    redterror
    Thanks for the response. I am indeed using the stock tubing / fittings from hell - were you having any issues with it? Maybe it could account for the evaporation? I've tightened the port and most of the fittings without putting too much stress on the plastic.

I've been refilling every few months and checking for leaks regularly since replacing the original radiator last year. I refilled the reservoir a little over a month ago and notice about a 3mm level drop. By using EKWB's red coolant (similar if not the same to X1) I have noticed some red dust throughout the case so I definitely know water is getting out somehow but believe it's just a small amount of evaporation through the tubing or maybe a seal somewhere. Keep in mind that I do also run my computer every day for 12 - 20 hours and know that there's quite a few variables to keep in mind which is why I thought to ask other HH owners.

That being said, I have been looking into upgrading to the 1080 hydro copper so I might redo the whole loop again anyway lol.

Yes, like many others I had one heck of a time getting those fittings on.

I ditched those and use these instead: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/23497/ex-tub-3020/Phobya_G_14_Thread_38_ID_x_12_OD_Hex_Base_Compression_Fitting_-_Silver_62076.html?tl=g30c409s1032#blank

You tighten them with a 17mm and 18mm wrench. They're pretty long however. Your other option is to ditch the fittings and tubing entirely and look towards an alternative solution like EK ZMT or different sized fittings. I used 1/2 x 3/4 fittings waaaay back and they could be locked down with very little to no torque.

Cheapest solution: Ditch the stock tubing (and invest in bandaids)
    Most convenient solution: Ditch the stock tubing and fittings

As for the evaporation issue, I'd like to again give you a heads up to tighten the fill port on the reservoir. Also, you could be having tiny cracks in the acrylic of the reservoir. The inlet port isn't very sturdy, and I'd find it easy to strip the threads enough to let air in. So you're probably looking at that. You can confirm this once you've tore down the system by running the outlet to the inlet and filling with a bit of water and running the pump by itself for some time.

I wish you the best of luck on your endeavours! Let us know what you find out.
    post edited by haghighihk - 2016/10/29 12:34:16

Yet Another Hadron Air Build
    Asus Z97i Plus
    EVGA Hadron Air
    Intel i5 4670k
    EVGA Geforce GTX 960 SSC
    8GB EVGA Superclock DDR3-2400 RAM
    Samsung 850 M.2 SSD 240GB
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile